Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I don't think I will do a list this year because I didn't play as many games as usual and there was no real standout #1 for me (maybe Sifu or something idk) but I am looking forward to reading everyone else's lists :hai:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Feldegast42 posted:

Its gonna be the inverse of the Keighlies, where everybody thinks Elden Ring is gonna get GOTY only for GoW Ragnarok to steal the crown at the last minute

It's got a lot of catching up to do because I don't think it's been on a single list

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I lied about not doing a list but it is a shameful top 10 because it feels like I played barely anything this year

#10 - Undernauts: Labyrinth of Yomi

Wizardry style dungeon crawler thing, this isn't really a genre I have any experience with so I was surprised I got so into it (closest thing I've played is maybe SMT Strange Journey). It has a lot of little quality of life things (like being able to respec your skills/stats anytime you like with no penalty) that probably make it a good entry point and the difficulty isn't too hardcore (except for the final boss which was a roadblock for me and I've heard the postgame stuff is rough but I was ok with just beating the main game)

#9 - Final Fantasy XIV: Endwalker

It is still good but I'm keeping it low on my list on purpose since we're between expansions

I thought it might be fun to fantasia from an elf to a dragon person just for the patch stuff but felt a deep sense of regret and switched back

#8 - Returnal

I'm glad Housemarque didn't go out of business when they said they were giving up on arcade games/making a battle royale (???) because Returnal turned out pretty good. The roguelike structure doesn't really do anything for me since the runs always feel pretty similar no matter what upgrades/parasites you pick up and it's maybe a little too long to have that "hey I'll do a quick run" feeling you get with Spelunky/Isaac or w/e

It's a v solid shooter though and I should probably go back and play the DLC at some point

#7 - Crimesight

This is a weird social deduction game Konami made where an AI version of Moriarty is brainwashing people into committing crimes and the only thing that can stop the crimes before they happen is the AI version of Sherlock (in 4 player matches you can also play as Watson/Irene who are support roles for the Sherlock/Moriarity players). I really liked it but the online was already completely dead on day 1 so I played it as much as I could for a couple weeks and then gave up because there were never more than 3 players online - I think they've tried free weekends/collabs with similar games but I can't imagine it worked RIP

#6 - Drainus

This spot is more for shmups in general because I played this/Ikaruga/The Void Rains Upon Her Heart recently and would like to play more but this was my favourite of the three. Looks super cool/has a lot of neat set pieces/bosses while being pretty forgiving which idk is maybe not all that common in this genre so it feels like a good entry point (with Ikaruga I got to stage 4 legit after a ton of game overs and then caved in and used infinite continues)

#5 - Yu-Gi-Oh: Master Duel

I don't really like that this is on the list but it might be the game I played the most this year. Legacy of the Duelist got me caught up on some of the newer mechanics like XYZ/Pendulum/Link summoning and then I switched over to this. It's free to play but they're generous enough with the gems that you can make pretty much whatever deck you want right from the beginning (I have like 8 decks and I've never spent any money) I used to have a lot of fun with Yu-Gi-Oh Online + the DS games when I was a kid building lesser used decks like Cloudians/Ojamas and it's been fun doing the same with the newer archetypes like Solfachords/Aromage

I think the meta probably rubs a lot of people the wrong way if you're used to older Yu-Gi-Oh (a lot of the staple cards now are ones you can activate from your hand to negate whatever card your opponent just played, and it's also super easy now to get a bunch of your strongest monsters on the board in a single turn) but idk it's fun and I've probably spent most of my time in single player anyways

#4 - The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time Randomiser

I was really into this for a month or so and had started watching the weekly races etc. It was cool to have a new experience in a game I was already super familar with and it gives you a new appreciation for certain items (you can get by just fine without the kokiri sword? the hover boots rule?? deku nuts are actually good???) It's worth trying a seed on the beginner settings with a map tracker, it's pretty doable even if you don't have the game memorised and then it's fun branching out to the trickier settings/trying to learn some skips/boss quick kills (one setting I liked was the dungeon entrance randomiser which means you can end up with cool stuff like Adult Link in Jabu Jabu or Young Link in the temples)

#3 - Splatoon 3

Weirdly it's the single player I was hyped for because the campaigns are always great but the online is good as always. I've kind of gotten sick of online shooters over the years but I always come back to Splatoon :woomy:

#2 - The House in Fata Morgana

Maybe difficult to recommend since it's non stop misery but it gets real good (I was into it from the beginning but I know some people dislike door one). I wish I had written down my thoughts at the time so I had more to say but idk any game where I'm up at 4am crying at the ending is good

#1 - Sifu

Extremely cool beat 'em up, maybe the best one I've ever played. I think half the reason I liked it so much was just that the learning curve reminded me a lot of Sekiro. please see Lisztless's #1 for a better written version of what I was going to say except replace the swords with punches + kicks

Honourable Mentions
Capcom Fighting Collection - I put a bunch of time into the PSP Darkstalkers years ago and it was fun to see the other versions here, plus some other oddball games like Red Earth. Put Tessa in the next vs fighter!!
The Centennial Case: A Shijima Story - Fun detective FMV game - anything gameplay related is a little clunky but the mysteries were ok and I really liked the ending (make sure to watch the epilogue after the credits)
Nintendo Switch Sports - Football/tennis/volleyball are real good/badminton is ok/I never like video game bowling
Touhou: Luna Nights - I know nothing about Touhou but I had a fun few hours playing through this (the OST is v good too)
Case of the Golden Idol - Extremely cool Obra Dinn-like (actually I think I like the structure of this game better than Obra Dinn)
Mega Man Zero Collection - I'm currently playing this - for whatever reason I've bounced off the X games every time I've tried them and only like a couple of the classic Mega Man games but this is really clicking with me
Klonoa 1/2 - It was nice to finally play these - was not expecting Klonoa 2 to have the most beautiful vocal theme in gaming
Kaze and the Wild Masks - Really solid DKC inspired platformer
Last Call BBS - I liked the picross/solitaire/gundam model building games but I'm too dumb for everything else
Sonic Frontiers - It's worth playing for sure but I like Generations/Colours better
Ynglet/Lunistice - Fun indie platformers if you wanna kill a couple hours

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles is two games, do we need to redo the 2021 thread

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

GotY next year will be the new Zelda I hope

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Are the Pokemon Scarlet/Violet issues things that could ever be patched or is it just stuck like that

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I don't have enough data yet but it's possible people who order their lists 1-10 are psychopaths

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I bought quite a few games full price this year that I prolly could've waited on but the thread has taught me that I should've listened to my instincts and gotten Stranger of Paradise on day 1.

I would like to apologise to Jack for not buying his game at launch because I started it a couple days ago and it would definitely make my list but I won't complete it until 2023

https://i.imgur.com/50mO9WS.mp4

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Why's the final boss of WoW wearing a santa hat

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

It's worth playing Xenoblade 2 dubbed for Nia/Morag imho

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Should I assume that The Diofield Chronicle being on 0 lists means: it's bad

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I am amazed Sifu only ended up at 61

Did no one play it??!

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

People say it's one of the best JRPGs but I don't like the main guy's hair so my hands are tied

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Jay Rust posted:

Which of the guys in the pic there is the main guy? Although tbh they all have awful hair

Here he is in amiibo form

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Jay Rust posted:

Auron > Lulu > Rikku > Kimahri > Yuna > Tidus > Wakka > am I forgetting someone?

very disrepectful to Japan's second favourite FF character

https://twitter.com/aitaikimochi/status/1604453351512383491

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I finished Stranger of Paradise today and probably would've put it 3 or 4 on my list...forgive me Jack

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I thought God of War was only on like 3 lists in the first 10 pages so I was expecting it to end up at 30th or something

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

dang pretty good showing for Xenoblade 3 if it's made it this high

I loved 2 so I'll need to get around to 3 when I have a spare 100 hours

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

We just need a couple thousand more people voting every year then we can find our gaming soulmates

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

It'd be interesting to see XIV vs XVI if there's an expansion at the end of 2023 but I don't follow the patches etc closely enough to know if they're on schedule for that