Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
Sorry my list is taking so long, I’m trying to figure out what kind of last minute upset I can arrange this year heh heh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
i apologize for my rushed list, i have pictures i'm editing in, including a custom one for my number 1 pick

8. somerville
how is this game so underrated? I dont want to say too much about it, but it's from one of the creators of Inside and it plays like it, but a little more 3d, but not that much, and it's like if Inside was War of the Worlds. It rules and you should play it if you have game pass.

7. Tunic
Initially I played this for like 20 minutes on game pass and was like that was cool, but i get it. and didnt play it again until it was released on Playstation 5, and holy gently caress i'm an idiot, there's so much going on in this game, the in game manual, the made up language, the interesting take on perspective, etc. and like even the music apparently has it's own complex set of rules that's directly tied to the rest of the cryptic stuff in the gane. I was also pleasantly surprised to find the combat and gamepaly in general was much more Soulsborne than Zelda, and I just read an interview with the creator who said that he was intentionally trying to capture the feel of bloodborne, which is my goty 2015.

6 SIFU
I've been dying to play a Sekiro like game that actually feels and looks as good as the combat in Sekiro since I beat Sekiro a few weeks after it came out in March of 2019. I'm not even really into martial arts movies or the plot or the art or anything, but the combat is so fluid and satisfying in a way that a lot of other games have attempted, but as far as i know, none have achieved. Also, it looks stylish as gently caress when you're in combat, which is also just incredibly rare, similar to how sekiro just looks infinitely cooler than the souls games' combat where you just flop around on the floor, getting i frames for whatever reason, in sifu, every single punch and swing is felt, and the way you chain combos together between different enemies is literally the best ive seen in a game.

5 SABLE
There's not much 'gameplay' in this game, but there are quests, you can upgrade your stamina meter by turning in collectibles, get new outfits, new bike parts that have different stats and there's a bunch of quests and a quest log that help it feel gamey and keeps you motivated to keep playing. but the most important part is the art style, like holy poo poo, it looks like a moving Jean Giraud comic, it's insane. I've never seen 'cel shading' or whatever this is done so effectively. It's a shame this came out with a lot of performance issues because it deserves a lot more love, and i hope more indie games attempt really bold art styles like this in the future.

4 IMMORTALITY
i loved telling lies, so i was incredibly excited for this game and it far exceeded my expectations. if you don't know of sam barlow's other works, they're FMV games, and you click on words or objects in one scene that take you to the same word or object said or shown in another, and you piece together the story or mystery that way. this game is about the making of 3 films, and you get to see most of the footage from the films in one way or another, either through table reads, rehearsals, unused takes, or actual final takes. but poo poo gets weird, straight up lynchian af. if you're a david lynch fan, especially mulholland drive, inland empire, twin peaks, etc. you absolutely need to play this, everythhing about it is so well done, give Charlotta Mohlin some Oscars and whatever other awards for outstanding performance.

3 ELDEN RING
dude it's elden ring, i was literally checking the elden ring news youtube page daily, basically since the reveal trailer came out at the xbox e3 press conference. it's literally just all of the stuff they'd learned about making souls games since 2009 packed into the most gorgeous triple a sized open world ive ever seen. also miyazaki's best take on hogwarts yet with raya lucaria.

2. Neon White:
if u like to go fast and look cool doing it, play this game. it's a first person sort of obstacle course game where you pick up cards that act as different types of guns but each one has a different ability like a jump, or a launch, or a sticky bomb that you can launch yourself off of etc. you can hold 2 different kinds of cards at a time and up to three of each and the game is designed in a really clever way that makes finishing each course on the first attempt seem very doable, even if you have a split second to realize what card you've just picked up and before you have to use it. it's basically a puzzle game as well in a lot of ways, as every level has a shortcut that a lot of the time aren't really that obvious at all and figuring them out gives you the same sort of satisfaction that figuring out a puzzle in portal does. plus the soundtrack owns.

1. Disco Elysium The Final Cut
I don't know why, but this year, aside from elden ring, felt sort of lackluster, and also i replayed the final cut again and it's just the best game of the year, for the second year in a row.

(i extracted the assets from the game and for some reason there's two meshes called 'tequila right finger' and 'tequila left finger'. included is the boom box in the back ground and on the right is of course our good friend the blue medicinal spirit, looking fashionable with a little neck tie)

HONORABLE MENTIONS
scorn:
I would've definitely played this in its entirety if it was on PS5, but I'm weird and don't like to play this type of game on my computer. Incredible art direction though, it's seriously insane to me that so few games take inspiration from Zdzislaw Beksinski (I know it's much more inspired by HR Giger, but aside from The Medium, and like Returnal and a few specific things in A Plague Tale, there's nothing else really that I've seen). Really cool story too, feels like they felt pressured to shoehorn in combat when it could've been more like Soma or Myst or something and been much better for it.

horizonforbidden west (anhd i guess this applies to god of war too, aside from the story bits, but i also enjoyed the story in spite of it mostly being a very samey sequel)
I did really enjoy this game, I just expected it to have a little more than the first game in terms of QoL upgrades or upgrades in general besides a glider and the one ability you get like 10 minutes before the end of the game. Love Carrie Ann Moss and her crew's designs and the weird rear end story surrounding them, but everything that wasn't directly tied to them was just a bit dull imo.

hindsight and Stray
very cute annapurna games that do some really unique things i've never seen before with perspective and the overall artstyle and transitions between scenes(hindsight). for fans of annapurna published emo interactive story games with not much gameplay. stray is also just a really adorable adventure with a great artstyle and the best portrayal of a cat player character that i can think of.

Inscryption
Never played a card based video game before, besides the pokemon trading card game for game boy color, and i loved it. i wish the entire game had the same vibe as act 1, but i still enjoyed the rest of the game, and the story quite a bit.

imhotep fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Jan 1, 2023

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqaTdggRPE8&t=152s

elden ring's ost was disappointing, i loved the main theme but i listened to it probably hundreds of times before the game came out, but i was surprised by how much i enjoyed the more low key atmospheric tracks that arent boss themes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVjVMoySj1c

also this is one of the cooler boss themes imo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEQYUKyse8Y

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
Neon white soundtrack has a lot of bangers, it reminds me of a lot of stuff, but it’s like persona 5 and danganronpa on ecstasy/made much more quickly, which is also pretty accurate for the overall look of the game as well
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcbcLwf6HP4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oW3KnzQHYmU

Also i didn’t play Bayonetta 3, but I heard this track in some YouTube video and it’s so good, I also thought it sounded like it could be in danganronpa before I found out what it was
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jz66RevLdSc

imhotep fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jan 4, 2023

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

haveblue posted:

I have no idea what its name is but I love the track that plays in Violet’s sidequests

isn't it that second one i posted? it's calledbloody sneakers (violet's theme)

edit oh nvm, beaten. i dont know when bloody sneakers plays, i think during certain dialogue with her?

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Muscle Tracer posted:

I am finally getting around to SOLAR ASH. I was very excited for this because HYPER LIGHT DRIFTER is one of my all-time favorite games, just incredible aesthetic and solid gameplay. This is very different, and I have to admit I'm disappointed there are next to no RPG elements, but it's still good. I'd say it's the first good 3D Sonic the Hedgehog game.

I love solar ash, it’s super under rated imo. I started to write a post about it in the ps5 thread because it was on sale and people just don’t talk about it that much, but all of the art design and the soundtrack is really good, plus the movement in general feels great and the grapple mechanic feels good once you get the hang of it.

I love the soundtrack, Joel Corelitz who did a few of the boss themes for solar ash is the main composer for hyper light breaker, he did the trailer music as well.
This is by troupe gammage who’s also composing for hyper light breaker
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5w8L_tLVvDE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

The 7th Guest posted:

excited for everyone to put zeno clash 3 (clash: artifacts of chaos) at #1 this december

Hell yeah lol.

Edit: drat it’s coming out on PS4/5 too, so I’m actually going to play it.

imhotep fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jan 9, 2023