Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I'm gonna be down to the wire this year cause I'm getting GoW for Christmas and gotta beat it in time to submit my list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

fridge corn posted:

I'm also getting gow for Christmas but I always submit my list on the 24th, so i dont feel i have to rush my Christmas games. I did this with control one year and feel i would have wanted more time with it

Respectable, but I must do what I must do

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I just beat Pentiment which I started cause people on the forums kept talking about it. Not only has it completely upended my top 10 list, but I think it's way better than Disco Elysium which everyone keeps comparing it to (of course I also didn't love Disco Elysium as much as many others did).

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

I stared at the 2020 affinity map for like 10 minutes and I still didn't understand it.

This

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

4. Don't be a dick about other people's choices.

What if it no one chose it

I mean he's got a point

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

ethanol posted:

my games of the year are horizon forbidden west and god of war ragnorako

In case it matters to you, that's not a valid list.

If it doesn't matter to you then carry on.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

House in Fata Morgana is fantastic, a definite must play for VN fans

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

You've convinced me to check out Rogue Legacy 2 sometime with that writeup

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Holy poo poo, how big is your list? :eyepop:

Looks like it's 56, BP

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I assume both Pokémon games get counted together?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

bone emulator posted:

ok, I think I might need to play this

Harvestella will be appearing on my top 10 list and I have to agree with everything he said about it

And I HATE farming games

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Rosalind posted:

Thanks to this thread I am losing my mind about Harvestella.

good

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Why would I start a list yet when I still have more games to play

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Frankly this early listing simply stinks of cowardice

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Yes do this but please put it in an ordered chart form with like an affinity % between consecutive posters rather than a graph that I will stare at for another 20 minutes and not understand!!

Please

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Lethrom posted:

Ah gently caress you reminded me I played tunic this year and I totally forgot to put it on my list :negative:

Fortunately you have time to correct this error

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

As someone who did a little bit of work on the fan translation for AAI2, I can assure you it's top-notch and feels as official as it can.

It's also almost certainly all we are ever going to get, so just play it, it's good

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Since Citizen Sleeper is getting a decent amount of attention in this thread, may I suggest to anyone who enjoyed it that they check out the developer's previous game In Other Waters. I was literally the only person who put it on my top 10 list in 2020 so I'm glad to see his latest game getting more attention.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Well the 29th is almost over and I have to face the music: I'm not getting God of War done in time for the end of the year. Just not enough hours in the day, and it's a really big game. Tomorrow I'll make up my list without it.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

I saw there is a Part 3 that's coming in early 2023. I imagine if you buy it now then you'll get that episode automatically when it unlocks?

It's the part 3 of the free dlc yeah. It's not part 3 of the game itself, just one small additional story.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Alright here we go, just in time.

The Missing
As always there are some games that from what I know about them seem like they might have been candidates for the list, but I just didn’t have time to get to them. Maybe they will appear on next year’s list if they’re good enough.

God of War: Ragnarok – I tried to beat this game in time to evaluate it for the list. I’m a good way into it and it seems great, but I just don’t have time to get it done before the end of the year, it’s just such a huge game. If it sticks the landing it probably would have made the list but we’ll have to see if it’s memorable enough for next year.

Tactics Ogre Reborn – I’ve had trouble getting into strategy games besides Fire Emblem, and this game is often mentioned in the same breath as Final Fantasy Tactics, a game that I did not like at all. That said it seems to be thoroughly beloved and I look forward to checking it out next year.

Live A Live – Only played the demo of this, it seems really cool. I look forward to seeing how the multiple time periods all come together.

Dishonorable Mentions
Monster Hunter Rise + Sunbreak – Not really fair to put this in this category considering that I’ve put 100 hours into it and liked it enough to buy the DLC. I just really find its padding frustrating. Why does each set of progression have you fighting the same monsters in the same order? Including the DLC which would have been an opportunity to introduce a ton of new monsters. When I do fight new things, this game is great and fun, there’s just so much wheel spinning in between. Ultimately, I vastly prefer World in every way.

A Plague Tale: Requiem – Before I played this, I thought it might be a top 10 candidate. I enjoyed the first game quite a bit and looked forward to seeing where they took the story from the hopeful note the first game ended on. My expectations could not have been more wrong. This game is absolutely miserable from start to finish. It is unrelentingly bleak with every moment of levity being immediately undercut by horrible things happening. I was incredibly disappointed that this is the direction they decided to go with the sequel.

Eastward – This game didn’t come out in 2022 and honestly doesn’t even need to be mentioned but I just need to state for the record how much I hated it. In a year where I played Plague Tale: Requiem, Eastward somehow managed to be the most depressing game I played. It also features the worst use of a silent protagonist I have ever seen as much of the terrible things that happen could have been avoided if the protagonist was able to communicate. The art is nice, and the gameplay is fine but nothing is able to make up for the awful story.

Honorable Mentions
Final Fantasy XIV – I removed this from contention since it didn’t have a new expansion this year. But it’s still here and it’s still great.

The Case of the Golden Idol – At last an Obra Dinn-like! Not quite as excellent as Obra Dinn but still a lot of fun. Good puzzles and mysteries and a bizarre and cool story.

AI: The Somnium Files - Nirvana Initiative – Another wild Uchikoshi journey. I liked it a lot but it didn’t quite live up to his best works. Some of the twists were a bit contrived in a way that lessened the impact of the game. Still excellent overall and I loved spending time with these characters again.

Top 10 of 2022
10. Citizen Sleeper – This is the second game by Gareth Damien Martin, the first being In Other Waters, a game I contributed to the kickstarter for, and which made my top 10 list in 2020. Martin’s writing is excellent, and they have a penchant for effective, melancholy storytelling. In Other Waters was a game about isolation and exploration of an alien world. Citizen Sleeper on the other hand is a game about community and survival. The timer and dice mechanics are extremely compelling and every little storyline on the space station was gripping. I intend to continue following any other games they make in the future.

9. Xenoblade Chronicles 3 – This is the best Xenoblade has been since the first one. The overall story isn’t quite as strong as the original, but the cast is absolutely stellar. There’s loads of powerful emotional moments especially the ones surrounding the characters dealing with their short lifespans and impending deaths. The gameplay is also the best the series has ever had. This probably would have ranked higher if it had stuck the landing perfectly, but unfortunately, I’m left a bit dissatisfied with how the ending was handled as it didn’t make a ton of sense the way it was presented. I’m somewhat hopeful that the DLC will address some of my issues when it comes out.

8. Pokemon Scarlet – After how much I hated Shield, I was a bit wary about getting this game. I was peer pressured into it by my friends’ excitement for it, and ultimately, I’m extremely glad I played it. It’s my second favorite Pokemon game after Moon. There’s some dumb decisions such as the removal of set mode and mandatory exp share, but the latter is mitigated by the ability to swap Pokemon from your boxes wherever. This actually let me run a team of twelve Pokemon which ended up being a lot of fun as I got to use a huge variety. Some of my favorite Pokemon designs of all time are from this game such as Clodsire and Skeledirge. The open world was a cool idea that ultimately worked quite well, and I managed to keep the game a good challenge by carefully managing my levels. The story was also a lot of fun and having 3 different storylines gave things a lot of variety. If it weren’t for the technical issues, I’d probably have ranked this higher.

7. Harvestella – This was absolutely my biggest surprise of the year. I first saw it in the “all farming sims all the time” Nintendo Direct and wrote it off with all of the others as that is not a genre I am interested in. However, a friend played it and would not stop talking about how absolutely wild it gets and I was assured it was more of an action RPG with an insane story that also has some farming built in. Reluctantly I allowed myself to be peer pressured into checking it out and holy poo poo it rules. I still don’t love the farming part of the game, but everything else is a blast. It’s pretty crazy how it starts out as a simple farming/fantasy game and then veers hard into crazy science fiction epic adventure.

6. Pentiment – The buzz this game got had me check it out at the end of the year and it turned out to be something really special. It’s a beautiful game set in the early 1500s and tells a story spanning 25 years of a small town and the mysteries and tragedies that strike it. It manages to do what no other mystery game I’ve ever played has managed and has open ended mysteries without a definite answer, but still makes everything satisfying. I loved getting to know all the characters in this town and experiencing the harsh reality of life in this time period, with some people just dying between sections. The artwork is gorgeous, and the music is excellent as well. I actually discovered through my mother – a professional musician specializing in Medieval and Renaissance music – that they hired some friends and colleagues of hers to do the music for this game which explains the authentic tone. Well done to the devs for putting in the effort!

5. Tunic – What a brilliant and unique game this is. The core concept of collecting a game manual and using it to solve puzzles and understand hidden mechanics was absolutely genius. Everything about this game worked perfectly for me and I loved solving every little puzzle and finding every secret. I even loved the combat which some people have criticized.

4. Kirby and the Forgotten Land – This is my favorite Kirby game of all time, surpassing even Robobot and 64. Every level is unique and memorable, the powers and their variations are some of the most fun they’ve ever been. Mouthful mode is a hilarious blast. Just an absolutely perfect transition to 3D for my beloved pink puffball.

3. Horizon Forbidden West – Aloy is one of my favorite videogame protagonists and it was great to see her adventure continue. So many of the mysteries left hanging from the first game were explained at last and we now have a clear idea of where this trilogy is going. The game suffers a little bit from middle chapter syndrome, and I think they went a bit too hard on the combat this time. I also think that they need to pare down the random drops from enemies and have crafting and upgrading be focused solely on the parts you shoot off enemies. All that aside the game was excellent and I’m super excited to see where the DLC and the final chapter of the series go.

2. Elden Ring – Fromsoft finally tackled an open world, and they did it in their characteristic polish. Elden Ring is a brilliant game which immersed me for almost a whole month before I beat it. It has some of my favorite bosses in all Fromsoft history such as Malenia and Mohg. The open world really allowed you to have so many exciting moments of discovery and terrifying adventures like chests that teleport you to Caelid and force you to run for your life. The weapons and spells are a blast as well. My only real criticism is that there were a few too many copy/paste dungeons and minibosses to pad out the open world, but ultimately this is a very mild gripe about an otherwise top notch game.

1. Triangle Strategy – I said I’ve had trouble getting into strategy games besides Fire Emblem, but Triangle Strategy is the biggest exception. This is one of my favorite strategy games of all time, standing tall among my favorite Fire Emblems. The story and the multiple routes are absolutely brilliant. I plowed through all four endings back-to-back in a glorious month of strategy gaming. The way the multiple routes work and the way character experience works meant I got to use every single character in the game over the course of my playthroughs. The game also makes every single character completely unique which I absolutely love. The characters are fantastic and while the voice acting is lacking at parts, the performances in the big confrontation near the end of each route are absolutely stunning. This game has lived in my mind ever since I beat it in May, and I crave more. I hope they make another game like it in the future. So in the end there could be no question that Triangle Strategy was the best game I played in 2022.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Help Im Alive posted:

I don't have enough data yet but it's possible people who order their lists 1-10 are psychopaths

After all these years of data, yes I can confirm

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

I’m traveling rn but I’m definitely going to make an effort to start Citizen Sleeper in the new year, it looks cool :cool:

Arist posted:

Citizen Sleeper is dope. Absolutely did not call it being the game I wrote about most for my list, especially because it was #7.

:hai: It's very special

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Relax Or DIE posted:

10-1 is just basic showmanship

Exactly. Have a little pride in your work.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Lethrom posted:

Question for all the people putting Nirvana Initiative on their lists, how do you all think it compares to the original AI?

There was something about Somnium Files that I deeply didn't like, so I only finished one path of it, but with NI putting up such a good showing has me thinking I need to give it another shot.

It's pretty much universally agreed that the first one is much better.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

fridge corn posted:

I think elden ring might have a shot at winning this year

Hmm perhaps

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I'm lookin forward to the tradition of people missing the deadline and posting lists tomorrow

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

abelwingnut posted:

i've only glossed over the lists in here, but it seems like if you love elden ring, you don't list xc3. and if you love xc3, you don't list elden ring. i get it, very different games. still feels noteworthy, though, especially when i think elden ring will finish first and xc3 second.

I put both

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

abelwingnut posted:

jesus, i know some people put both in their lists. i'm just saying in scanning most of the lists out there, most did not.

there are exceptions! i get it!

I do not think your generalization is correct op

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Help Im Alive posted:

Should I assume that The Diofield Chronicle being on 0 lists means: it's bad

I tried the demo and dropped it after the first battle, it seemed bad

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Escobarbarian posted:

Hooray! I helped!

I was really shocked Plague Tale Requiem not only didn’t make it into the top 75 but didn’t even come close. I guess people were really put off by what I’m told is an extremely grimdark tone.

It is a bad game, and its ranking is where it belongs

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

gently caress yeah Harvestella

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Rarity posted:

Do you see it, friends?

STAMP ON DEEZ NUTS

you're a monster

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

It's not really that surprising that games everyone played last year don't get highly ranked this year

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

fridge corn posted:

Only disco elysium is immune to this. Curious

Yeah it's a rare exception

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I've started rogue legacy 2 but I'm pretty bad at it

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

9/10 in the top 50 let's goooo

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Evergreen game

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Hell yeah DQXI keep on shining. My number one game the first year of this countdown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Ok I'll try tinykin