Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
god of war is a trash game that was pooped out of a butt until the exact instant someone puts it on their list, at which point it becomes a decent game and a reasonable thing to rank

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
harvestella rules. I'm trying to finish one more game before I write my list but it'll almost certainly be on it

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Tosk posted:

Is there any way that links to past editions of the thread could be included in the OP? After everyone posts their lists I like to come through and grab a whole bunch of games I would never hear about otherwise, and I'm sure there's plenty of material from the last few years that I either forgot about or never knew existed to begin with

the images showing the previous top 3s are links

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Item Getter posted:

Not planning on playing this or watching my wife play it (she used to like farming games but got burned out on the whole genre by the terrible Doraemon harvest moon game), so just wanna ask about the spoiler tagged part:
I hope that means that the entire game actually takes place on the Moon in the distant future?

Not the entire game, you visit earth and also spend a lot of time in a space elevator between them. But the bulk of game time and the core world is on the moon, yeah

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

fridge corn posted:

Would be mental of enough ppl played elden ring next year for it to win goty two years in a row

But who are we kidding, FFXVI will win goty next year. Book it

even if it's goty quality it'll probably have to wait until it's on pc to win goty, not enough people own ps5s, i think

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

You vs the guy she tells you not to worry about. Apparently a patch just a few days ago added faces to all the nameless NPC models so you won't actually see this anymore
12 - Monochrome Mobius: Rights and Wrongs Forgotten
Utawarerumono is a weird series. The original game released in 2002. It got an anime, ports to consoles, and a few spinoffs. It was fairly popular in its time, but didn't really have any staying power. Then, bizarrely, it got revived 13 years later with a remake and a pair of sequels.

Monochrome Mobius is the latest in the franchise, despite the different branding. I suspect the branding is an attempt to draw in new fans, communicating that it can be enjoyed without playing any of the others, as well as the fact that it has completely differently gameplay. I'll discuss the gameplay of the others further down this list, but Monochrome Mobius is a fairly standard JRPG. It doesn't really have any frills or gimmicks; it's just a solid, polished experience. The slice of life moments are enjoyable, and it just feels pleasant to exist in the world they've created. I don't really know who this review is for because you've either already played the other games and know you want to play this, or you haven't, in which case I don't even recommend it.

11 - Witch on the Holy Night
Witch on the Holy Night is a visual novel by the same group that did Tsukihime and Fate/Stay Night, finally getting an English release a decade later. It doesn't go quite as hard as F/SN, the game that made type-moon a juggernaut instead of just a one-hit wonder, but it has a lot to say with its quieter moments. Type-Moon's strength, to me, has always been in the ability to have a really cool world, where it feels like almost anything could happen, but where everyone is tightly constrained by rules that you learn as the story progresses, without sacrificing emotional impact or strong characters on the altar of having cool action scenes.

Witch on the Holy Night, to me, felt like it stepped a little too far away from that formula, and, while it's by no means bad, it's not an all-timer for me. I don't know if it's an issue with me, the translation, or the original work, but I found the explanations of the magic hard to follow, and the villains felt a little lacking; a little too obviously background figures for the real story it's telling. The real story is quite good: three people who barely know how to communicate and haven't had a normal human relationship their whole lives get forced to exist side by side, and form bonds despite not really wanting anything to do with each other. I just wish the supernatural action sequences were either more focused, or cut out entirely.

pictured: riveting gameplay
10 - Rune Factory 5
We're in my top ten proper, and in the farm game block. People lambasted RF5 for having abysmal performance, but fortunately I have a superpower that lets me ignore framerates. I was rewarded with a pretty dang fun game, full of enjoyable characters and a rewarding sense of progression. The gameplay is a massive improvement over Rune Factory 3 and 4, but the characters are a bit weaker. Just a solid entry in a series I enjoy.

9 - Rune Factory 3
I went back for RF3 after finishing RF5, because people kept saying it was the best one. And I gotta say I agree. The farming sucks and the combat is only a little bit better, but everybody in this game is just completely off their rocker. There isn't a single normal, sane person in this game. drat near every conversation is funny. In addition to the squid-hating mermaid pictured above, there's the girl who speaks in opposites, the witch who keeps injecting people with strange concoctions, the shopkeeper who will do anything to get you out of her store so she doesn't have to work, and on and on. Truly a magnificent cast.

8 - Harvestella
The thing I most want to say about Harvestella is something I can't say without spoiler tags. The one thing I can, and will, say outside of tags is: if you saw this as yet another harvest moon clone and wrote it off, give it a second consideration. It's more like a JRPG with farming elements than Rune Factory's farming with JRPG elements. Growing your own crops to make your own food, which is your only source of healing in dungeons, gives the game a vibe which is more important than the pure gameplay considerations, in my opinion. Harvestella is a game that lives or dies on its vibes, and it absolutely nails them.

If you're still kind of unsure, here's a midgame spoiler: one of the dungeons is a space elevator.

7 - Great Ace Attorney Chronicles
It's Ace Attorney. The mysteries are slightly worse than average, but the characters are better than average. Susato, Ryunosuke, and Herlock Sholmes are my very good friends. It was very funny when the game designed for the 3DS, which uses the 3D, makes you do a magic eye to see it on the Switch.

Apparently this was the only thing I screenshotted. I am proud of taking it down at the level I did, though. See also: me being naked because someone (wrongly) told me that you have more i-frames in a fast roll than in a mid roll
6 - Elden Ring
Most of the things I have to say about Elden Ring that haven't already been said are unkind things not in keeping with the spirit of this thread. So instead I'll focus on the part I loved the most: the dungeons. I found myself wishing I could just spend all of my time in dungeons, because they were so good. Stormveil castle stands up as possibly the best zone in a Soulsborne--or if it isn't, it's close. My most treasured memory was probably the extremely stressful trek through Redmane Castle, which either has no site of grace for a very long time, or I missed one; the sense of mounting tension as I only barely made it to the end was incredible. The mini-dungeons are slightly more mixed: caves are usually (not always) just a few rooms then the boss; mines have really obvious asset reuse. But even then, almost all of them have something unique and memorable about them. And the remaining categories of mini-dungeons, crypts and hero graves, just don't miss. Hit after hit of them. Hero graves in particular are trap houses that put Sen's Fortress to shame, and I had an absolute blast in all of them.

5 - Utawarerumono: Mask of Truth
4 - Utawarerumono: Mask of Deception
Putting these together because they're a two-parter. Mask of Deception ends on a cliffhanger, and Mask of Truth picks up directly where it left off. I played them back to back and they're almost inseperable in my mind. Mask of Deception gets the slight nod, and the higher rank, but they're best thought of as a single experience split over two games.

As I said up above in the Monochrome Mobius section, Utawarerumono is a weird series, which debuted in 2002 and went dormant for nearly 15 years before getting sequels. These are those sequels. The games themselves are an odd combination: roughly 2/3 visual novel and 1/3 SRPG, by playtime. People claim a lot of wordy games are like visual novels, but this is the real thing, made by the company that invented the phrase "visual novel". The distinguishing line, to me at least, between a proper visual novel and other wordy video games is how the story is presented. Is it like a book, with non-dialogue prose describing the things that happen? Or is it like a movie, where all the prose is dialogue, and it depicts movement rather than describing it? Utawarerumono is firmly in the former camp for most of its runtime, which is rare for these sorts of hybrid games. Even something like 13 Sentinels is more movie-style than book-style. And it's a drat good visual novel. I found myself lost in the ordinary moments of bonding between Haku and his crew of weirdos. The game is razor-sharp humor when it wants to; while Rune Factory 3 is the game on this list that made me laugh the most, this is the game that made me laugh the hardest. I don't want to spoil the cliffhanger between the two games too much, but the beginning of the second game is some of the tensest media I've experienced this year, in a good way.

The remaining third of the game is, weirdly, an SRPG, and an astonishingly competent one. I can honestly recommend it on that basis alone. The mechanics flow together well, and the difficulty is a nice balance. The core mechanic that sets it apart from other SRPGs is the Zeal gauge, which some attacks build and some spend, and which instantly gives you another turn when it hits 100. It's a lot of fun to play with.

https://images-ext-1.discordapp.net/external/aa-YL8iuxCZGRQ4z9faU-U-0TF9eq85O2Qq0FQjOmtU/https/i.imgur.com/B0iOd0R.mp4
look at this little doofus go
3 - Pokemon Scarlet
Using my superpower to not be bothered by performance issues, I have made a startling discovery: despite being widely lambasted, this is the best pokemon game ever made. It was a joy walking around and seeing what pokemon lived in each new area. Nemona an Arven are incredible characters. The music slaps hard. The new pokemon are stellar. Klawf in particular is a gem. I found myself spellbound from beginning to end and honestly have trouble imagining being so put off by the performance to call this game actually bad. The multiplayer is also weirdly fun for being completely unstructured: it turns out that just existing together in the pokemon world is a great experience.

pictured: a functioning qr code, on a sign sticking out of a corpse
2 - AI: The Somnium Files - Nirvana Initiative
The consensus opinion is that this game is slightly worse than the game it's a sequel to, but honestly I feel the reverse: it's slightly better. People rag on it a bit because the mystery isn't diegetic but like...it doesn't matter? To me, at least. The mounting confusing followed by the reveal was no less cool because of that. And the moment to moment in this game is, better on average. AI1 had a lot of really strong parts, but it also had some pretty severe lows. This game feels like it just evened it out, so the entire game is the same quality as the good parts of AI1.

The somnia themselves--that is, the puzzle rooms, for people who haven't played the first game--are a wild improvement. Instead of being trial-and-error dream logic puzzles, they're now basically all different genres. There's a game show one, there's a horror movie one, and so on. By constantly rotating the ideas, none of them have time to get stale, and they don't have to rely on kind of frustrating puzzles like the first game did. All in all, a great experience.

number big
1- Atelier Sophie 2
I think we can all agree this was the most important release of February 25th, 2022.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Okay okay here's the real writeup

1 - Atelier Sophie 2
Gust does it again. Gust-made games have dominated my lists for as long as we've had these goty threads. As long as they keep going the way they've been going, I don't really expect that to change any time soon. Sophie 2 is definitely the best the gameplay has ever been. The alchemy has a ton of depth, and it's extremely satisfying. I can't tell you how many hours I spent trying to figure out how to make the best bombs possible.

Gust has spent the last few years really stretching their wings on making games that feel like their budgets were much higher than they really are. They're industry leaders on anime graphics these days, and have mastered the art of cutscenes that feel cinematic without needing to do motion capture or creature bespoke animations for every scene, just with carefully chosen camera angles. The zones in Sophie 2 are gorgeous, and their careful design really goes a long way towards selling the sense of adventure without actually needing to be any larger than your average JRPG dungeon. The game world feels like a world big enough to live in, without needing to make a world that takes a hundred hours to explore.

The story strikes the perfect balance between the low-stakes "just existing" stories Gust used to tell and their more modern forays into more traditional narratives. The usual Atelier mood is used to great effect in telling a story about someone who wants, more than anything, to just live with people.

After a few entries in a row that I enjoyed but wasn't raving about, Gust is back at the top of its game. Last year's goty, Blue Reflection: Second Light, released November 2021. This released February 2022. Two absolute all-time bangers, back to back like that, is an incredible accomplishment. I really cannot express enough how eager I am to see where Gust goes from here.

See you all in Atelier Ryza 3!

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
post a pic of your g(undam)oty imo

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Nirvana initiative is very good

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Tunic is on my list of games that I know I'd love but is always like, two or three games down my list

I swear I'll get to it someday...

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'm pretty sure there's nothing you can easily and accidentally do to a google sheet that will make it unrecoverable

lol though

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
some extremely fail posts on these last few pages getting mad at people for enjoying games they don't like

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Arboliva is my friend

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

ColdPie posted:

I'm surprised Scarlet beat out Legends. I heard a lot more good about Legends than Scarlet.

Scarvio discourse was dominated by the performance issues which are not actually directly related to how good of a game it is

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
blast me with the goty celebratory probe

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
For reference on how much of a blowout this was:

when Disco Elysium won, it was by a lot. Got nearly double the points that second place got. There were a lot fewer lists that year than this year, but it got roughly one third of the total number of points it would have gotten if every single goon listed it at #1

Elden Ring, by the same metric, got over half of its possible points

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Regy Rusty posted:

Soo did someone say they were gonna do some vote statistics and comparisons again

if rarity hands me the data I'll toss up a script for the ordination and the "if you liked X, consider Y" thing I did last year