Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Do a list later, but man. I forgot how loving stacked this year was for games I like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

10. Rune Factory 5

I'm a sucker for farming games. I haven't played Harvestella so maybe it would have taken this slot, but RF5 while a step down from 4 is still a fun, relaxing game.

9. Neon White

Addictive, time attack fps goodness. An excellent intro to speed running and what makes it fun.

8. Final Fantasy XIV Endwalker

My drug of choice seven years running and it's only gotten better.

7. Pillars of Eternity 2 (Obsidian 2018)

Replayed this as part of a Game of the Month club the Auspol discord does. I really love this game and it's iteration of RTWP. I also enjoy the writing a lot more than most seem to. I finally knocked off the Royal Deadfire Company route, probably the most overtly evil route in the game, and it was. Uncomfortable. The game is very good at making you feel like a piece of poo poo when you do lovely things.

6. Doom 2 (ID Software 1994)

Another GotM entry, we had a good time running a Doom 2 tournament. I took the time to beat it on Ultra violence for the first time since I was a kid and the game holds up shockingly well, admittedly with the modernisation touches added by gzdoom. If you've somehow never played this, it's really worth taking a couple of day to.

I completely washed out on the tournament though I did win the picking comp.

5. Dwarf Fortress (Bay 12 Games ASCII 2007 Steam 2022)

Dwarf Fortress isnt why I joined SA, but it was one of the things that got me posting instead of just lurking gbs photoshop threads. I played it a bit years and years ago, but have long since lost the skill to parse the original's controls and ascii. The Steam version modern UI makes the game mucyh more approachable and it's been great fun running progressively longer lasting forts the past week. I'm also extremely happy it's been such a success. Toady and his brother have given so much to the world for free they really deserve enough success they don't have to worry about medical bills. Admittedly so does everyone, but if you give that much to the world especially so.

4. Grounded (Obsidian 2022 Early Access:2020)

Obsidian's third entry on this list and a major departure for them. This was simply a good fun survival crafting game with an adorable setting (legally distinct Honey I Shrunk the Kids) and it was fun to play with a friend. I really recommend it to anyone who likes playing these sorts of games, especially with friends. The aesthetic is great and the yard is full of secrets to find that make exploration very rewarding.

3. Pentiment (Obsidian 2022)

Great writing, great art, unique presentation and an fascinating deeply research setting combines to make the best adventure game in a year stacked with great ones (Citizen Sleeper and NORCO were also contenders for this list) and Obsidian's third entry on the list. Game hit me hard emotionally and got me deeply invested in it's world. My Andreas wasn't perfect but he tried and the end result was one I felt made things better overall even if it was somewhat bittersweet.

2. Pokemon Scarlet (Gamefreak 2022)

In spite of the myriad technical issues I enjoyed this game a lot, much more than any Pokemon game since I was a child. The open world was handled really well and being able to just go after high level gyms or pokemon was a joy. I ended using a huige variety of pokemon compared to normal as when i overleveled something it was an excuse to go build a new more level appropriate team. The writing was also really good and endearing. Team Star is great, but probably as far as they should push the sympathetic antagonist teams, kinda hope the next game has some real assholes. Nemona having a single braincell and it's the same one Goku has made for a hilarious rival and Clavell was very funny. Also really liked the designs for pokemon and trainers. Not as good as the high water mark Alola set design wise but it's up there.

1. Elden Ring (FROM Software 2022)

One of the most hyped games ever and it met if not exceeded expectations. FROM loving showed the entire open world genre what it should be but has failed to even approach in decades. I literally forgot Forbidden West had released and I'd played it cause of Elden Ring just completely obsoleting it when it came out some eight days later.

A Sometimes Food fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Dec 30, 2022

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Real hurthling! posted:

Did we ever get the affinity map last year of which posters we were most like in taste? We had it in 2020 but i didnt see 2021

Link to the 2020 one?

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

rope kid posted:

The only design I did on Alpha Protocol was taking over the CQC system halfway through development. I did no work on the narrative.

But I did direct Fallout: New Vegas and Pillars of Eternity I & II.

Be real interested in a list from you btw. Assuming you feel comfortable doing it.

Microcline posted:

If you're referring to the principle component analysis (what IIRC the anime thread does) I made one in 2020:

and cheetah7071 made on in 2021:

I'll probably be gathering data again this year so I can pretty easily do things like list all games with only one vote (it will be a long list though as last year this was 19.6% of all points cast)

Cheers and thanks haveblue for also answering me.

Edit: apparently I'm in a little cluster with Fatkat and Necronomicon.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Threads are better when there's discussion. If long arguments or dogpiles happen, probe those, but I think a bit of banter about how trite and shallow Stray is or the increasingly obvious idiosyncrasies in the BIG SONY GAME design that Forbidden West and Ragnarok showcase is probably healthy.

Escobarbarian posted:

Do you really care that much about this to take it to another thread? Just be nice. It’s so easy.

Also enforced niceness leads to this kind of backhanded poo poo anyway which is much more unpleasant.