Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Stux posted:

thank you rope kid.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Most of my year was spent replaying every Ace Attorney game in order to stream them over discord, and also Monster Prom. And wishing Gundam Evo wasn't as mismanaged as it was.

I will say, I'm definitely ranking Elden Ring over Monster Camp

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Hwurmp posted:

thank you John Gonzalez

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

the mixup joke is funny but I will give this man due respect

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

CottonWolf posted:

1. Lords of Infinity
This game isn't out yet (perhaps making me a time travelling god from the future), but I spent a lot of time testing it (voluntarily) this year. The sequel to the choose your own adventure novellas Sabres of Infinity and Guns of Infinity, this game keeps what was good about those games while upping the complexity by an order of magnitude. The concept is that you've gone through hell in war (in the previous two games), and now you're back home on your country estate. What do you want to do with yourself? Do you want to manage an estate and try and get your finances in order (assuming you didn't pay off your debt through morally questionable means in the last game)? You can do that. Would you rather become an undercover agent in a conspiracy to overthrow the government? You can do that too. Perhaps you'd like to try and ignore all that political stuff and instead get drunk at the officers club? It's an option. Not only do you have incredible freedom given the genre, the amount of carry over of your choices between games is unbelievable, with plot threads opening or being modified by choices you made off hand two books ago. When this releases next March, anyone with an interest in the genre should play it. (After playing the previous two games because they're awesome too.)

oh drat I've been waiting years for this one

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I've been busy this year so I'm definitely not going all out with my list

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Rarity posted:

I see we've reached the 'everyone rushing to finish their homework in the morning before class' stage of the thread

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

haveblue posted:

When I read your #1 I'm done reading your post so make sure it's at the end

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

2022 GOTY List

Honorable Mentions
: The other Monster Prom games, which I'd only started playing in earnest this year. Literally every mainline Ace Attorney game, which I replayed to stream for friends. Peglin. Gundam Evolution (RIP). Haven. Warriors of the Nile 2. Vampire Survivors. 20 Minutes Till Dawn, the other game in the VS genre I actually like. Icarus.

For me, 2022 was the year of co-op experiences and, for single player games, Discord streaming for my friends. I don't have anything deep or heartfelt to say about that. I just really enjoying playing games with friends this year and every game on this list was played either in co-op or streamed for a live, voicechat audience. I will be briefer than I usually am, as I am cutting this really close to the deadline and I want to get back to gaming for the new year

10 - Power Wash Simulator -
Well pardner, it's time to clean up this town

The chillest way to hang out with friends while someone streams a podcast on discord.
https://giphy.com/gifs/EAXkYytHiDThy7yaPv

9 - Gunfire Reborn -
Repeatedly hunting the bear that lives in the pole (NOT a polar bear!!)

While some people on my friends list picked up Destiny 2 I decided to blow up the entire Spiritual Realm as a Chinese woodland creature and managed to lure some other friends over to hang out. This game ate up a few good months, love to see it.

8 - Terraria (patch 1.4.4 Labor of Love) -
One of these days I'm going to clean up the entirety of the hallow and the crimson/corruption.

I came back to this game after half a decade and so many things have changed for the better, but it's still as good a time as I remember.

7 - Earth Defense Force 5 -
"Humanoid Aliens?! They've got 2 arms, 2 legs and a head - almost
identical to humans!"

I love this game so much I actually unlocked the online Armor and Weapon Limits legitimately. If you've never played this you have no idea how much of an ordeal that actually is. I wasn't expecting there to be as much story in this one, and it's good! It's delightfully cheesy but hits all the right notes, as a reboot and origin story for STORM TEAM, the legendary heroes of the EDF.

6 - Mechwarrior 5: Mercenaries (With Mods) -
what the gently caress when did this game become good?

I only started playing this game last week but I'm obsessed. I've already grabbed all 150 gigabyte modding tools off EGS. Also, I signed up for EGS, after years of not giving a poo poo.

Much like HBS Battletech, the inclusion of a Career Mode dlc and a healthy modding scene breathed much needed life into the game. Though arguably this game started out in a much worse place.

As Battletech nerds are some of the most detail-oriented tabletop gamers on the planet, the mods available for this game vastly increase the complexity of its company management and mech design elements. And I am here for it.

5 - Ace Combat 7 -
Stick with Trigger and you'll make it.

I got this game on sale on a whim and uh holy poo poo. I think I need to go back and play all the other Ace Combats now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsvmvxgVrUo&t=355s
Obligatory:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGZJnLYvio0

4 - River City Girls 2 -
Local idiots beat up entire city, again

This squeaked in at the end of the year but I was immediately charmed once again by this series. An excellent little mini-rpg taking place entirely in a single city you can wander around and explore. It's not quite the same tone or vibe as the Yakuza series but it hits similar enough notes and lets me team up with friends. Even more than the last game, this is a love letter to the defunct developer Technos, creators of the Kunio (River City) and Double Dragon games, with easter eggs, references, and secrets galore.

Fun, funny, and full of personality.

3 - Elden Ring -
Ranni ftw

A game I respect as a masterpiece, the first half was some of the most magical and fascinating open world exploration I've had the pleasure to experience. Not coincidentally, this is also where I felt the world at its most free and open. While I found some other games more compelling and emotionally resonant, on a personal level, sometimes I still think about riding around Liurnia, looking up at the distant city of the gods and remembering the sense of wonder I felt.

It's not my personal number one but I'm glad of the two months I spent with it, and I'm glad it's the clear winner for the position of game of the year.

2 - Monster Camp 3: Monster Roadtrip -
This is a time loop and we're all going to die. Of fun!

The third and most recent release of the well known cult classic partygame+VN wombo combo franchise by the Barcelona-based developers Beautiful Glitch. I really only got into this series this year and while the first game's cast was the best by a long shot, the second game had funnier events and more robust ways to mess around, mechanically. Unfortunately, again, the first game had a much funnier and more charming cast of romanceable monsters, so for the third game Beautiful Glitch decided to split the difference. With the cast of both 1 and 2, and a completely new stat system and end goal, Monster Roadtrip is a huge and winding misadventure I loved replaying every few nights. Again, with friends!

Monster Roadtrip has so much content and so much art that it makes the setting feel more alive, which amuses me as the Monster Realm pretty much just started as a surreal parody of modern America. And it still is, mind you, but there's also just so much of it that it's become a fun little hell-country to revisit time and again.

1 - Great Ace Attorney Chronicles (again) -
"No games now. Time is of the essence!"

I actually replayed the entire mainline Ace Attorney series for my friends on Discord. I'm one of those fans of the series who believes that, really, there is no such thing as a bad Ace Attorney game. There are Ace Attorney games that are better than others in the series, and others that are worse, but even when the franchise is at its weakest it's still a great time. But the Great Ace Attorney Chronicles? This is Ace Attorney at its best. Well, in terms of whodunits, arguably individual cases from previous games outdo the GAAs, such as the final cases of the third and sixth games, and the investigation minigames in GAA are more about sprucing up the presentation of information than actually presenting an interesting puzzle to solve. But! The music, characters, and story are the strongest they've ever been.

In replaying the entire franchise, you get a feeling for the different styles of the various playable characters you inhabit. Phoenix Wright is prone to bluffing, delaying tactics, and scrambling for any advantage he can get when he's constantly on the back foot. After the first trilogy ends, he's a legend in his field and much more crafty, clever, and confident, but he's still the king bullshitter. Contrast this to his ancestor, Ryunosuke Naruhodou, who is much more earnest, inquisitive, and, for better or worse, honest. One must imagine Nick inherited his craftiness from Ryunosuke's legal aide and love interest, Susato Mikotoba. Who, it must be said, is easily the more competent of the duo.

I think, when 2023 hits, I might replay it again. There's some conversations and achievements I haven't gotten, and the music is still a hell of a vibe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCd4hq14WVg

Condensed list for Rarity

10 - Power Wash Simulator
9 - Gunfire Reborn
8 - Terraria
7 - Earth Defense Force 5
6 - Mechwarrior 5: Mercenaries
5 - Ace Combat 7
4 - River City Girls 2
3 - Elden Ring
2 - Monster Roadtrip
1 - Great Ace Attorney Chronicles

Runa fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Jan 1, 2023

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

A clever way to make sure everyone reads the thread and not just skips to Rarity's posts: enlist veeg's help with the posting

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

If this means Endwalker made it into the top ten in a gap year I'm gonna laugh

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

fridge corn posted:

Some of us played it for the first time this year

this is entirely fair

E: what the gently caress

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Rarity posted:

…Wait, is GOTY cheugy? :ohdear:

Oh no

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'd like a celebratory sixer with this image

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I hope I wasn't too late because I was driving home from work lol

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

ToxicFrog posted:

Oh that's lovely. I wouldn't mind a sixer with that too, if you're sharing. :3:

oh absolutely, go for it!

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Also once again a big thank you to Rarity and Veeg for the thread!

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Feldegast42 posted:

Posting on the sex number page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Oh I didn't realize there was a chart up lemme look at it

Oh heyo list buds with Metis of the Hallways... entirely on the basis that we both put Great Ace Attorney on our #1 spots lol