Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

10. Warhammer 40,000 Darktide. This one was a surprise. I did not have any expectations for Darktide as this game's developer is chaos personified, but it turns out Fatshark can still make a game with some of the best first-person melee out there that's a lot of fun to play with friends. And half of the game isn't even implemented yet, so maybe I can include the other half on next year's list too!

9. Souldiers. I hope I can have at least one metroidvania like this on my top 10 every year. Souldiers was simply a solid full-length metroidvania with a lot of very high quality pixel art. Nothing more, nothing less. I think this one flew under the radar a bit and there are definitely some reasons it's not an alltimer, but I'm glad I heard about it.

8. The Pathless. I don't have much to say about this one. It was very beautiful and I liked the bird-rubbing minigame.

7. We Were Here Forever. The We Were Here series is still an experience it's hard to get anywhere else. As games that require two players with puzzles that are designed to test your communication by giving different tools and information to each player, I had a lot of fun working through the latest entry with my brother. This one is special for getting me to badly imitate monster noises over the mic.

6. Hunt Showdown. This was my #1 game from last year and still the most compelling competitive game I've ever touched. There's still nothing else like Hunt as all the pretenders to the throne have chosen to copy worse games instead of this. Unfortunately a serious drop in quality control from the game's developer means I simply can't rank it as highly anymore, but at the end of the day, there's a lot to be said for the fact that after 700 hours I've still never seen the same match of Hunt twice. Hunt is never boring.

5. Tunic. Some of most special puzzle solving and sense of discovery I've ever experienced. I love games that recontextualize things you've already seen as you gather more information, and I think this is the only game to get me to work out a puzzle solution on physical paper where the process was actually satisfying. Anyone who's finished this game knows the one. :ocelot: to everyone who solved it legit.

4. Rune Factory 5. I spent way longer on this than I ever expected to, because as questionably-finished as it is, rune factory has an incredibly compelling web of complex farm mechanics that I strongly want to see applied to other games. This is definitely the only game I've played where I've had a treasure chest mimic and a giant spider do farm chores for me as I do mad scientist chemistry to grow terrifying ultra crops.

3. Monster Hunter Rise. This continues to be a fantastic series without competition. Capcom continued to make this smoother to play and less frustrating but without losing any of the depth that makes it rewarding to improve at. Just one of those games where really cool moments happen all the time. Also the cats are still really good.

2. HARVESTELLA. Waited a long time to put this list together and this game is the culprit, because I wanted to finish it first and it just keeps climbing higher and higher on this list the longer I stay with it. At this point I still haven't managed to finish it yet, but after 70 hours of the game only getting better and better, I'm comfy putting it here. All the mechanics mesh together in a compelling way even if they're individually simple, and balancing your time/stamina/money to get the most out of each day is just a very satisfying process with a lot of different avenues of progression to keep you busy.

A+ soundtrack, professional 2D art, writing with more depth and personality than it first lets on, and a story that goes straight off the rails in ways that weren't advertised at all make this one of the most unexpectedly memorable games I've played this year.

1. Elden Ring. It's hard to express a single original thought about this game at this point. I'm just very, very glad I could experience this and I will never forget its world.

Summary

10. Warhammer 40,000 Darktide
9. Souldiers
8. The Pathless
7. We Were Here Forever
6. Hunt Showdown
5. Tunic
4. Rune Factory 5
3. Monster Hunter Rise
2. HARVESTELLA
1. Elden Ring

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I feel like I saw one post about souldiers in the steam thread when it first released and then never heard about it again so I'm glad it landed for someone else. Definitely glad I played it after patches, it was a comfy time

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Jay Rust posted:

The question on everyone's lips... who will be taking home the SA GotY silver

Wow! It’s also Elden Ring!

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Good thread. Thank you rarity and videogames

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Hit me with that elden ring sixer

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Feldegast42 posted:

Posting on the sex number page

:hai: to everyone who voted for the sex number game, harvestella

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I put pentiment on my list because of this thread and hope to get to it this month!