Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
This is exciting! I’ll try to have a list with a few words, but it turns out having newborn really does throttle everything down. Not even sure what day it is. Or where I am.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
I mean, you might.

Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
What mods do you use for Minecraft?

Love seeing FGO representation!!

Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

Captain Invictus posted:

I'm currently running 1.18.1, before the deep dark was added(which apparently sucks from what I hear about people interacting with Wardens)
:words:

This is excellent, thanks!!

Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
TTYD is one of two GameCube games I still own physically. The other being Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance.

Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
My list is a little…weird and normie, this year, I had a few games I was hoping to play before I had to post the list, but a new gamer was born four weeks early on December 7th, and that ruined any chance I had to focus on finishing some games I was interested in. It also means I won’t have many words for the actual games. I’m definitely in some sort of a rut, where I cannot get invested in story-driven games very effectively, and instead turn to games that are easy to pick-up and drop with little investment. I hope I can re-focus myself and figure out how to enjoy the “heavier” games again.

Some random categories,

Games I wish I played:
- Norco
- Citizen Sleeper
- Crystal Project

Some games I’m excited to play in 2023 (but probably won’t)
- Tactical Nexus (thanks to this thread)
- Pentiment
- Live A Live
- Tactics Ogre
- Front Mission

A game I didn’t love unlike everyone else
- Tunic (I know, I’m sorry!)

Worth a Shoutout, but not on the list.
- Sifu - game is cool, but I haven’t spent quite enough time with it to rank. I was not expecting the depth to the combat, or to need to play footsies. I think the defensive mechanics do feel a little light though, it seems to be a lot of the same thing, but I’m also still bad at this game.
- Returnal - same as above, but I came really close to ranking it anyways. Feels good to play, has a similar vibe to Control, while being completely different (also feels like Alien). Mechanically dense, and the difficulty seems well tweaked.
- Monster Hunter Rise: Sunbreak - game is good, monster hunter is good
- Tekken 7, Guilty Gear Strive - Fighting Games are awesome, and I wish I didn’t have such a mental block around playing them for improvement.
- Kaizo Kindergarten - Kaizo Mario is cool as gently caress, and I had a blast progressing through this. I hope to spend more time doing kaizo stuff in 2023.

And, the list

10 - Apex Legends
This game only really works when you’re playing with a squad, but when you are, it really works. Respawn know how to make a shooter, I just wish playing solo felt better, but it’s just not how the game is designed and that’s okay.

09 - Stray
Very cute, fun story and world, with a nearly solid payoff (I can’t believe they don’t show you reuniting with your cat pals at the end). It was concise, and didn’t overstay its welcome. I also forgot about it the moment I finished it.

08 - Super Mario World
One of the GOATs. This isn’t the first time I’ve played and beaten the game, but it has probably been 15 years since I last did so. I went for the 100% completion in preparation to try my hand at some kaizo ROMs, and it was a ton of fun. I also streamed it to some friends in Discord, which made it even more fun.

07 - Final Fantasy Pixel Remaster
It turns out, these Final Fantasy games were always good. This was a lot of fun, and I think it holds up pretty well for a game as old as I am. It is really remarkable what developers could do with hardware like the NES. I had planned to try to play all the pixel remasters in 2022, but lost steam on the second one, maybe a 2023 goal.

06 - DOOM Eternal
Mother-loving DOOM. What a well-tuned video game. They do so many things well to help a player understand the game flow, and know what to expect, or where things are. I really appreciate the color and music cues to this effort. A fun game, with some fun secrets and exploration for a linear game.

05 - Gran Turismo 7
This game had a rough launch, but it didn’t impact me much. I just like learning how to drive race cars and learning how to drive those race cars very specifically and consistently around a track. I will never get sick of turning this game on once or twice a month for a few hours and just driving in what is essentially a circle.

04 - Snowrunner
What a great game. I would not have expected to be so absorbed by driving trucks around a map. I only played through the first map, but this is an excellent game to just sit and play a podcast, or relax and zone for a few hours. The progression seems well tuned, and the challenges are a lot of fun to accomplish. Plus, it’s fun to get comfortable with the tools at your disposal and learn how to navigate some difficult terrain.

03 - Fortnite
I did not think I’d ever pick this game up again, but Epic has done a really good job with it? I am only playing zero build mode, but winning in Fortnite is secondary to just dropping in and running around to complete the various quests and objectives. There is just enough to do that isn’t focused on winning that makes it a low stakes way to spend some time. Plus, when you do win, it still feels really exciting. This game is made to pick up and put down as little or often as you want, and it became a perfect way to turn off my brain (or, more recently, play some video games when I’m dead tired from hanging out with a newborn).

02 - League of Legends
I can’t believe I’m playing this game for the first time, and I am upset with myself…because I haven’t been playing this game for a decade like I could have. I’m sure I’ll get jaded by this game eventually, but right now, there is so much to learn, and understand, and it scratches the competitive itch, and drive to get better that I never quite got from fighting games (despite loving those too). I have some theories as to why, but I won’t get into it here because they’re extremely half-baked. This game is great, and I’m happy to be playing it.

01 - Elden Ring
This was my most played game this year, what a game. I’ve seen just about everything there is for this game to offer, and while I hear the criticisms about some repeated content, I think it works? There is thematic consistency between the catacombs that make the repetitive nature of them not feel like a negative towards the game. Plus, as others have said, each one seems to have a slightly different gimmick.
I really enjoyed my time with this, and have played a few different builds through the first half of the game, having fun seeing all the variety there is to how to approach this game. What FromSoft did here is extremely impressive, and I’m glad there was so much of it for me to experience.

---
Merry Game of the Year to all our Gamers! I really appreciate the effort everyone puts into this thread every year and helps make this community one worth being a part of.

Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

Relax Or DIE posted:

welcome to our newest gamer, Sephiroth Battlepass REMIX

drat, this is way cooler than Byleth Metroid REMIX

Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

Tulip posted:

6. Celdia's Complete Patch v2

This sounds amazing.

Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
Hunter: Call of the Wild is really good, I agree

Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
Sleepy Dawgz is great because it doesn’t overstay it’s welcome. It is the perfect length game.

Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
Obra Dinn is awesome. Love seeing it show up here

Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

Relax Or DIE posted:

you can't blame them, there's no way to build muscle memory for understanding criticism so souls fans are forced to fall back to get good. it's sad, really

You don’t like Sekiro, so your opinion is meaningless here

Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
That was overly rude, I apologize.

Instead, consider Jedi Fallen Order as a solid 7/10.

Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
Hi friends, I made it for the countdown. How’s it going?

Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
The combat theme from P5R is in my head after it got ranked, so thanks for that sickos.

Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
Neon White is fun, and I meant to include it on my list, but forgot :eng99:

Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

what if they were called spike chun li soft

What if Spike Lee directs the next Street Fighter film?

Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
Thank you so much Rarity and VideoGames for all the work you put into this thread!!!

im trying my best not to hold it against y’all for only quoting me once :(

Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
Snowrunner was robbed. Shame on most of you

Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
I’ll take the probe now, but only if Metis delivers it. Or SNU

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
Citizen Sleeper was my first game of 2023, and it is absolutely special.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

Snowy posted:

And the game of the year is:

SNOWRUNNERRRRRR!!

I don’t care about other games anymore

That's right