Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

Days later edit: Oh poo poo, I forgot one from early this year!!! I changed it.

I don’t think I’ve posted a list before, but Rarity’s dedication has inspired me to share my opinions on the internet. I don’t often like sharing my favorites for things, but if there’s any category of thing I have highly personal opinions on, it’s video games. These are games that were fun and cool to play this year. They made me happy and that's cool! (edited to fix weird formatting)

11: Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Director’s Cut
The cyberpunk future has a small inventory. What do you mean I can’t carry 10 guns at a time? Where’d I get all of these pills?? I played this one at the behest of my partner and it was worth it. It’s one of those games that I enjoy both within its boundaries and from the outside. I played in Deus Ex difficulty and save scummed my rear end off to sneak through everything. I scrambled to find the non-shoot-and-run solutions to every boss (that they only added as of the Director’s Cut). What the hell were they thinking out of ten!

10: Dorfromantik
This is number 1 in my “games to fidget with while in meetings.” You have tiles! Tiles have stuff on them. You get quests to make groups of X amount of stuff. You keep doing that until you have the world’s worst railroad network and circular rivers. Perfect.

9: Noita
I have never won Noita and I don’t plan on doing it anytime soon. I love getting my rear end kicked by this game. The insane interactions between wands, enemies, and the environment lead to wild and hilarious micro runs that keep me coming back to die again.

8: Pokémon Legends: Arceus
Did you hear that they made an open world Pokémon game? I’ve seen the criticisms of PLA and have my own, but none of them change the fact that I was teleported to the past, handed a haunted Cyndaquil and 50 steampunk Pokeballs, then told to run around and figure it out. That slaps. This game is cool. I could spend all day pitching Pokeballs at unsuspecting little guys from the bushes. I didn’t want to put both PLA and SV on the same list, so I went with the one that hit me with that open world vibe first and surprised me.

7: Stray
Meow, meow, meow. Meow. Meow meow. Cute platforming with a cool little world to explore from the perspective of someone shorter and smaller than me. The puzzles were at just the right level of solvability and encouraged me to explore the hell out of each area.

6: Deep Rock Galactic
Rock and stone.... yeeeeEEAAAHH! My favorite game to play with friends. It's so loving charming for a game where you play as a drunk guy excavating planets. The community is so nice!

5: Curse of the Golden Idol
Heard it was good but then the Obra Dinn comparison came up and I flew through the metaphorical doors of Steam, cash in hand, like my life depended on it. It's not Obra Dinn 2, but it’s still a great story to unravel. The scenes get increasingly complex and fascinating as you get deeper. Using key vocabulary from your investigation feels much like getting a jigsaw puzzle with nearly identical pieces; you spend the game finding out what elements of those pieces relate to solve each chapter.

4: Final Fantasy VII Remake (late addition)
I never played the original, even though I was the prime age to do so when it launched. Instead, I stumbled my way into the remake after watching my partner play it, and I love this thing. I love how it compares and contrasts with my perception of the original game from the outside, and I love how it fits in with my newfound love of Final Fantasy in general. It's long as hell sometimes but I love it just as it is. Part 2 can't come soon enough.

3: Splatoon 3
I skipped S1. I played S2 for about 20 hours. I bought S3 on a whim, thinking that I’d probably fall off of it like 2… and boy, was I a fool and a clown for thinking that. It’s by no means a revolutionary step from 2, but it hit all the right notes for me this time. Bouncing from turf wars to story mode to Salmon Run kept me in a tight loop for weeks after launch, and I loved the rhythm. It took a while, but I’m now permanently invested in these squids. I’m looking forward to coming back for weeks at a time and competing in Splatfests until they move on to 4!

2: Vampire Survivors
This is the only game that I’ve 100%ed achievements on Steam 3 times in a single month. The power curve on this game is so great. It starts off painfully difficult and as you progress, you get increasingly powerful until you crush your enemies into motes of dust on a regular basis. My favorite action to idle game of the year by and far.

1: Elden Ring
Every time I played a new game this year, I asked myself aloud, “Does this beat Elden Ring?” Well, uh, here it is—right where I put it when I first finished it. I’m an open world enjoyer, and Elden Ring was designed so goddamn enjoyably. I had all kinds of Moments when I played, from classic “gently caress your poison Miyazaki” to “oh… wow…” exclamations when I organically encountered huge, beautiful, hidden areas. I want to capture those moments in a bottle and relive them over and over. Truly excellent, wildly lauded, and 100% a delight.

Honorable Mentions:
— Pokemon Scarlet/Violet (wow, that's a lotta Pokemon!)
— Sonic Frontiers (better than I thought)
— Pillars of Eternity (Replaying to (mild PoE2 spoiler) fix the fact that I didn't finish Raedric's questline the first time and got a letter telling me that I'm a dumb idiot!!!!)
— Pentiment (didn't have time with all the Pokemon trading and capstone-ing, so I'm going to take my time with it later)
— Paper Mario: The Origami King (I didn't play it this year but I thought about it a lot and it's great)
— Satisfactory (make it stop)

And finally, a confession:

broken pixel fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Dec 16, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

broken pixel posted:

Days later edit: Oh poo poo, I forgot one from early this year!!! I changed it.
I had to add Final Fantasy VII Remake to my list, which I erroneously thought I'd played earlier. RIP Deus Ex: Human Revolution Director's Cut... You're still a real one.

Everyone's lists are cool. Please post more lists!

Help Im Alive posted:

#2 - The House in Fata Morgana

Maybe difficult to recommend since it's non stop misery but it gets real good (I was into it from the beginning but I know some people dislike door one). I wish I had written down my thoughts at the time so I had more to say but idk any game where I'm up at 4am crying at the ending is good
This is a good reminder... I really should try Fata Morgana.

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

This has been a great top 65! Congrats to Tunic for GOTY

(Just kidding I believe in you all assuredly there’s a version backup… right?)

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

Elden Ring GOTY as it should be and I deserve to be killed for 6 hours for thinking it

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

Back from the dead to give a big thanks to Rarity and VG for the sick countdown and hard work. I’m looking forward to the end of this year, because I already know two whole games that came out in November/December that will in my top ten (and already scored pretty highly this round). :ssh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

rope kid posted:

Thanks, goons. Thoons.

See you next year when you have to accept another goon GOTY list Pentiment award!