Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

As an Elden Ring Hater, this year didn't have much to offer me, so I decided to go back to the classics as well as finally dig into my monstrous backlog of unplayed games (down to 70 now).

Dishonorable mention: Tactical Nexus is a puzzle game all about finding the optimal route to make your Numbers go Up. It stole 230 hours of my life from me and I didn't really enjoy a single moment of it.

Honorable mentions: We Were Here Forever, a cooperative puzzle game where each player is given half of the puzzle and must communicate with each other to find the solution. The only reason it's not on my list is because I haven't played it. I have played every other game in the series, and they're pretty good, but I only have one friend I play these with and their computer died the day before release, and they haven't been able to buy a new one yet.

Webbed: You're a little spider and you do a lot of fun webslinging and some not so fun web construction. The concept and the movement are great fun, but the game is so lacking in polish that it doesn't quite make my top 10.

10. Stacklands - RTS Survival Card game. If you've played Cultist Simulator it's similar to that but way less obtuse.

9. Starship Troopers: Terran Command - I like rts campaigns, this is a competent rts game. The story seemed confused about whether the protagonists were good people working within a bad system, just good guys, or just plain bad people.

8. Inscyption - Great card game attached to an ok card game attached to a terrible card game. The horror aesthetics and meta puzzle progression were pretty cool while they lasted.

7. Resident Evil Village - Lady D's castle and the village were pretty cool! Would have been great if the rest of the game was on the same level.

6. Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past - I can see why this game was the biggest thing in its time, it's still a pretty great game now. There's a few hiccups throughout but there's good reasons a ton of indies are still copying its formula today.

5. FF14: Endwalker - If this list was happening in June I couldn't imagine picking anything but this as my #1, but time has significantly cooled me on this one.

4. Songs of Conquest - What if Heroes of Might and Magic 3 didn't take 5 years to complete a single mission, and had a magic system that wasn't complete garbage? It would be a drat good game I tell you, good enough to be #4 on my list even though I only just started playing it yesterday.

3. The Last Spell - Tactics RPG Horde Mode. Though it only officially released recently I played plenty of it in early access. Cutting through the hordes of enemies is very satisfying, and the special enemies do enough to challenge your strategy to keep it interesting.

2. Celeste - I put this game down for a couple years, content with how far I had gotten. I’d reached the summit, gotten the normal ending of the game with most of the collectables. I felt like I had gotten as good as I ever would at the game without a serious time commitment, so I dropped it.

Coming back to it this year, I played through everything. I went back and got every strawberry and cassette tape and crystal heart that I'd missed, overcame every challenge the game presented me. It did not turn out that I had grown in skill during those years. The game was not easier than I had expected; it was harder, if anything. The main reason I got through it was that the game actively encouraged me to keep trying when it got hard. It acknowledged the difficulty of the challenges but also said I could still do it, I'd gotten this far after all.

1. Neon White - The story is bad, the dialogue is cringe, the characters suck, and the gameplay is good enough to excuse all that and still be my favorite game this year. Between this and Celeste there's clearly something I enjoy about speedrunning that no other games have been able to tap into.

I'll come back and edit my reasoning to be better later, hopefully, probably.

sirtommygunn fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Dec 25, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Please let us know how many people didn't have Elden Ring on their list at the end of this, Rarity. I feel like the only question about #1 this year is if it will lap the runner up in points.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I'm almost certain it's going to be
1. Elden Ring
2. Vampire Survivors
3. Pentiment
4. Xenoblade 3

Not sure beyond that.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I have prepared myself to see the list.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I believe in Rarity

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

7 of my top 10 dead already :negative:

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

It's difficult for a game to have staying power when it's impossible to discuss drat near anything about it without major spoilers. Honestly surprised it ranked at all. It's extremely good though and goons should play it.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I underestimated Pentiment

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I like this gif, I already bought it during the sale after seeing it pop up so often here. I'll try it soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Maybe ill enjoy Elden Ring if I try it with a build guide.