Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

DMCrimson posted:

8. TUNIC (4.5/5):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hJ8o-lnDxg&t=81s

The last puzzle is the greatest puzzle in gaming history but you have to go through a good-not-great Zelda clone to get there. Discovering “the” puzzle is an incredible revelation that made me want to find Twitch playthroughs to see how others felt the same shock of realization. I broke out a notepad and started writing/drawing notes with a pencil and a giant smile on my face. This is the puzzle I think about when people talk about incredible moments that could only happen in video games. Make sure to turn on invincibility when you feel the combat’s getting a tad annoying. Do not let mere sword fighting stop you from unveiling the final mystery.

Yeah it was great to bust out pen and paper and take pages of notes on a game, haven't done that in a long time.
If you really enjoyed the puzzle-solving aspects of Tunic on a structural level, and have a tolerance for older games, you ought to consider trying the puzzle games The Fool's Errand and 3 in Three. I can't elaborate on this much without spoiling things. They have been released as freeware bundled inside an emulator for old Macs.
http://fools-errand.com/index.htm
If you end up liking those, System's Twilight is a similar game to 3 in Three, the individual puzzles are much stronger and more original but overall it's a bit less satisfying on a structural level.
https://eblong.com/zarf/twilight/index.html
(also enjoy their vintage Web 1.0 sites)

I was reminded of those games when playing the later parts of Tunic, outside of the obvious more recent games that it gets compared to.

#1 this year is pretty much a given, but interested to see what ends up winning the #2 spot.

edit:

Stux posted:

would be epic to nothave 5 million paragraphs about blizzardin the op of the thread abotu how gaming owns

Kind of glad somebody said this, it was more tolerable in previous years but this year is committed to the running gag of pretending that no games were released in 2022 so there's nothing else to break it up with

Item Getter fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Dec 11, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Zaggitz posted:

Most insane game I watched my wife play that Everyone needs to know about : Harvestella

Not planning on playing this or watching my wife play it (she used to like farming games but got burned out on the whole genre by the terrible Doraemon harvest moon game), so just wanna ask about the spoiler tagged part:
I hope that means that the entire game actually takes place on the Moon in the distant future?

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Tirade posted:

There's too many great moments to list them all, but by far the fondest memory for me came from exploring a cave in Liurnia like many others I'd come across. But what's this? A passage that goes out the back of the mine and opens onto a ledge outside? Then making may way along the side of a cliff, climbing ladders, dying a bunch of times to annoying harpy things, finding a Magma Wyrm at the end of the journey, and then emerging from a cave into the soft golden colours of the Altus Plateau. It was an incredible Gaming MomentTM that far surpassed anything else in recent memory, and all the more because it wasn't some scripted event like so many of other games that pull a similar trick.

Not to mention of course the whole thing is optional since you can take the elevator instead of going through that area. Though that's another thing about Elden Ring, how much of its amazing content is optional and not required to finish the game.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
I always enjoy reading these threads but never did one of these before. Thought I'd drop in just to throw a couple points towards Splatoon in the overall rankings. That said,

1. Elden Ring (2022) - A very predictable choice for #1 and I don't have much to add to what other people already said. I played all of the Souls games, Bloodborne and Sekiro for the first time last year so it was fun to be able to experience one of these games around the launch window for the first time instead of years after the fact. This game really puts Breath of the Wild to shame for having both a huge open world that you can organically explore and find interesting stuff in any direction, plus a lot of the big intricate dungeons that the Souls games are known for and a wide variety of enemies to face. As someone who was a fan of Dark Souls 2 and its open-ended nature it's nice to see it expanded on here, where if you are stuck on a particular boss or area you can come back to it later after exploring other paths in the game's vast world. Nth-ing that going down the Siofra elevator the first time was amazing.

2. Splatoon 3 (2022) - I put way more hours into this than any other game this year and probably got more enjoyment out of it than anything else. Though it's largely an incremental upgrade to Splatoon 2, so objectively speaking it feels wrong to rank it above the likes of Elden Ring. That said, while it doesn't bring anything hugely new to the table, it's the best version of an awesome game. I never got hugely into Splatoon 2, picked it up long after all its updates were over and it felt a little lonely that all of the Splatfests were already over. For this one I was lucky enough to pick it up on launch day, really fell in love with it and have 2 years of updates to look forward to. I don't know how conventional shooters can compete with this slick and stylish game where you can swim up walls and through floors to get the drop on unsuspecting opponents. The PvP modes, Salmon Run horde mode, single player campaign and even the deck building card game are all a blast. While the PvP can be frustrating at times, it just makes it better when things finally start going your way. I usually treat games as one-and-done affairs of a couple weeks, but I think I'll be coming back to this one for a long time.

3. Triangle Strategy (2022) - A solid SRPG. Gameplay-wise I think it's better than the likes of FF Tactics, where character building could overshadow or trivialize the tactical combat. The story may seem a bit rote at first but the frequent plot-branching decisions keep you engaged, and its focus purely on "mundane" matters comes off as surprisingly original in the genre. It's brilliant how the Final Fantasy-esque MacGuffin crystal that's of earth-shattering importance to the characters of its world is just an ordinary salt crystal. I got a bit burned out on New Game+ leveling up B-team characters for the Golden Route, but I plan to go back to it eventually.

4. Hades (2020) - The other game I've been coming back to on and off for months. I like it a lot, though while there's a fair amount variety in how the game plays based on your character build I still feel like it's a bit too repetitive by nature and should've required less successful clears to reach the ending. Still looking forward to Hades 2 next year though.

5. Tunic (2022) - Glad that I picked this up on a whim, had a lot of fun staying up way too late deciphering the manual's language and figuring out its puzzles and secrets. Really clever game and it's been a while since I broke out the old pen and paper. For anyone else who enjoyed the final puzzle I recommend you check out the old (now free) puzzle games The Fool's Errand and 3 in Three which have a similar vibe. The combat was a bit iffy or unfair at points but it's forgivable knowing the game was largely the work of one person and it's an amazing achievement otherwise.

6. Hollow Knight (2017) - The excitement over Metroid Dread last year got me to pick up some Metroidvanias for the first time, and this was overall the best of them and the only one which really delivered on the promise of exploring a huge interconnected world.

7. Live A Live (2022/1994) - This is a really cool game, and much like Trials of Mana a couple years ago, amazing that it got a full remake and official English release out of nowhere. Square Enix makes some questionable business decisions sometimes but it's cool that they are showing some respect to their older non-FF/DQ titles lately. A really charming JRPG short story collection that would have been amazing in 1994 and still holds up pretty well today. It's impressive how differently each chapter plays and feels in spite of them sharing the same engine. The ridiculous encounter rate in the last 2 chapters did sour me on the game a bit towards the end though, I guess it's a case of a remake being a little too faithful to the original.

8. Ori and the Will of the Wisps (2020) - One of the other Metroidvania games I played this year, really cool game and beautiful to look at. gently caress the sandworm chase though

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
I hope the Elden Ring post in this thread's GOTY countdown gets hijacked mid-sentence by weird rambling about Bill Clinton

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Isn't it obvious though, both Dark Souls and Final Fantasy 1 have a lich and a big dragon in them so of course they're related. Never mind D&D and every other fantasy RPG

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

VideoGames posted:

It fell out of the chart last year but the original Dark Souls is back over a full decade after release to be the first of four FromSoft entries in this year’s countdown.

Shameful that Elden Ring lost to 3 King's Field games for the PS1