Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I played these but eh, they didn't make a massive impression on me:
Fallout 4 - It's fallout. I like wandering around boston and having npc factions randomly fighting each other was cool, but drat did the story suck rear end and it didn't do anything particularly special.
Deathloop: I enjoyed it. A bit of option in how to do the perfect day would've been cool instead but that would probably mess up the game's idea.
Outer Wilds: It's good but I haven't really gotten through it to be able to jam it on the list.

10. Brotato: is a single stick shooter that I've surprisingly dropped a lot of time on. Very simple premise of a six armed potato fighting aliens across 20 waves, buying upgrades between each wave to eventually try and beat the boss. 6 danger levels give a bit of difficulty enhancement and the devs have added a few new classes in the recent patch and are still working on the game. Would also recommend their other games Space Gladiators and Lost Potato as good time killers.

9. We Were Here (Series): Clever first person co-op escape room type puzzle game that helped me connect with some family that lives far away. I like the walkie-talkie mechanic as it means even communication requires proper team work.

8. Elden Ring: It's good yeah, it's souls yeah, it's open world which I guess is good or bad. Was happy to see from get away from the hyper speed trash that was dark souls 3. Exploring the world was a great experience but repetitive dungeons were meh. The proper legacy dungeons were fantastic, but I guess it doesn't scratch itches the way a souls game used to? Maybe I'm getting old.

7. Slice and Dice: A goon made mobile game where you roll dice to determine what your 5 character part will do across a 20 encounter dungeon. For a game that sounds simple it's got a huge number of game modes and ways to play, loads of items to attach to your characters that vary the game play even further and there are no in app purchases. I have almost missed my train stop because I've been too engrossed in it. Buy this game!

6. Tunic: This game was extremely unique and scratched that exploration itch. Certain bits felt a little bit too inscrutable but the experience of piecing together how to play was fantastic and it's definitely worth a play.

5. Blasphemous: This game oozes style and was really engaging. The difficulty felt bang on for what I was looking for and the exploration was good fun.

4. Art of Rally: Minimalist game about rallying. The art style and vibe is extremely chill, despite there being a decent challenge in it. Lack of co driver instruction is always a weird one in a rally game, but the game is great if you can pick it up on the cheap. There's almost a zen point you can hit when things are flowing well.

3. Unpacking: I can't explain why this game ends up here. When I think about the other games on the list for some reason this one sticks out as having left an impression on me that puts it above the others

2. The Hunter: Call of The Wild: I've spent way more time playing this game than I ever thought I would. It's chill as a hiking simulator where occasionally you try to shoot a moose or something. The locations are detailed and tend to be very pretty. There's a loose mission system, but it isn't entirely necessary. It's weirdly addictive but can be immensely frustrating when you're trying to track down a coyote but can't find one. Almost feels a bit hitman-like as you try to find and track a target to set up the perfect shot.

2022 game of the year, the once, current and future champion, the game I think I nominate every year:

1. Sleeping Dogs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iH8Qc9-gA8

On sale now on steam for like 85% off.

It's a fun game about being a loose cannon undercover cop who gets in too deep and almost goes too far as he runs afoul of his superiors in the police department. There are some great characters, the city of Hong Kong is fun to run around in and people will try to sell you pork buns in the street.

The very silly hard-boiled story is paced a bit weirdly but eventually escalates in a crazy way, it's got lots of wild hand to hand fighting, it's got some really poorly shoehorned in dating missions that scream "cut content", you can eat pork buns, it's got a bunch of random "face" missions that are very silly, you can show up to your undercover meeting with your gang dressed in a full policeman's uniform or just your skivvies if you want

I like that missions give you both cop xp (which you lose for doing things like causing accidents or hurting civilians) and triad xp (for mixing up your fighting and stuff), plus opportunities to stop off and eat pork buns, but if you do your best to gather cop xp you can max level that tree right around the time of a major plot beat which leads to main character Wei Shen getting far too invested with the triads and caring less about his cop job, and as such go nuts and cause all the destruction you want.

The hand-to-hand combat is fun, the driving physics are a bit weird at times but you can jump from car to car so who's to say if they're good or bad, movement on foot is tied in with a parkour system so you can vault over and slide under things, the DLCs are actually really good, the general lack of guns outside of missions makes gameplay and story pretty unique (at least until you're firing rifle grenades off a roof), the soundtrack is an absolute banger and you can buy pork buns off a man in the street then eat them.

Sleeping Dogs, 2022's game of the year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Lethrom posted:

Ah gently caress you reminded me I played tunic this year and I totally forgot to put it on my list :negative:

I had to flip through my steam and gog list to see what was there lol. I forgot about it too. Can never forget sleeping dogs though

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Escobarbarian posted:

What do you think will win

Sleeping dogs

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Axel Serenity posted:

Shoutout to the one goon who put PowerPro Baseball on the list.

I've been watching a lot of streamers playing it, and it's getting me through the cold, harsh winter. I don't know of any game series I wish got ported over more than that, but sadly we're stuck with half-effort The Show sequels.

super mega baseball 3 is right there! they even mentioned it in their post!

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Item Getter posted:

I hope the Elden Ring post in this thread's GOTY countdown gets hijacked mid-sentence by weird rambling about Bill Clinton how the entire Japanese video game industry is secretly run by one trans person breadcrumbing their existence across decades of games

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

AceOfFlames posted:

Felt this way about Rogue Legacy 2. Welp, there's always next year!

This game became way better once I threw some house rules on

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

oddium posted:

is that like hades where you can make the game harder and thus, more fun

Or easier because the economy sucks

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Rarity posted:

I hope enough people voted for Mirror's Edge to make the list :ohdear:

Same, but sleeping dogs

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Rarity just in case the spreadsheet is lost, as a reminder you pmed me to say that sleeping dogs won GOTY and that its inclusion in the unranked category was a joke to throw people off.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Epic High Five posted:

I've got 50 bucks riding on Wrestling Empire making the top 5, you saying I was dumb???

damnit I knew there was something I forgot to put on my list

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Rarity posted:

There's still a chance Mirror's Edge made the top 5 :pray:

mirror's edge would also be a decent goty. shame it only made #2

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I'm just happy everyone had fun :)

Sleeping dogs got 12 points! Goty 2023

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I was the only one who put 3 of my top 4 and only 1 other person picked sleeping dogs :cripes:

at least someone else enjoyed the we were here series

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Rarity posted:

Trying to call my GOTY for '23 is really hard cause a) I have no idea how much I'll actually game this year and b) nothing coming up on my list is screaming 'certified banger'. If I get far enough I'd say Metroid Prime, if not then it's probably Prince of Persia. Also looking at my list I've got a whole lotta JRPGs coming up, perfect timing for the Year of the JRPG :getin:

Could I recommend that it start with Sl and end with eeping dogs