Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Yeah Nintendo refers to Torna as DLC sometimes but it really is just a standalone game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

I got my first gaming PC in nearly a decade last year after only having a Switch for several years before that, so I've been doing a lot of catch-up since then. This will actually be my first contribution to the GOTY thread :D

GOTY 2022

8. Modern Warfare 2

The UI is atrocious, the community is awful, and the game is buggy as poo poo, but I'll be damned if this game doesn't feel incredible to play.

7. Ghost of Tsushima

I'm generally not a big open-world fan but something about this one just hit the right notes for me. The combat was fluid and enjoyable, the story and side stories were well-done, and the game itself was gorgeous.

6. Splatoon 3

It's more Splatoon and has my favorite soundtrack in the series. There are some disappointing aspects, like replacing shifty stations with a flawed 2v2v4 game mode and the general instability of the netcode, which is why this isn't higher on the list. Nevertheless I will still probably play 1000 hours of this game over the course of its life.

5. Disco Elysium

I've put something like 10 hours into this game and haven't managed to get very far because of my tendency to pick the dumbest option presented to me. But I've had a blast rolling new characters and exploring this game. I think during my time off this month I'll try and make an actual push to beat the game, but I've no regrets about the way I've spent my time so far.

4. Death Stranding

My first Kojima game, but certainly won't be my last. I enjoyed every minute of this one, including the dumbass 30 minute-long credit sequence at the end. Really looking forward to the sequel!

3. Xenoblade Chronicles 3

Easily the best game in the series for me. The gameplay was consistently engaging and managed to have a stack of systems that never felt overwhelming. I particularly enjoyed the card-based chain attack system (which had some kick-rear end music to go with it). The cast of this game, particularly in the main party was excellent both writing and acting-wise. Everyone was really well fleshed out and the character's interactions with each-other felt very realistic. I did find the last dungeon to be too long and the final boss to be kinda "eh", but the actual resolution to the story was very bitter-sweet in a good way. I've still got loads of side content to get through so I wouldn't be surprised if this game manages to be on my 2023 list as well!

2. Final Fantasy XIV: Endwalker

I started XIV at the beginning of 2021, and poked at it periodically throughout the year, but it never really grabbed me. At the beginning of this year I picked it up again and finally reached the first 4-man duties that something finally clicked and I proceeded to spend the next several months playing through the main scenario to the exclusion of almost all other games. The story and characters resonated with me in ways that I didn't think an MMO was capable of. I've also taken a lot of enjoyment in watching the game improve in tangible ways as I play through ten years worth of expansions. Some of the latest trials really show off the mechanical improvements they've made over the years, and I'm excited to see what further patches and the next expansion will bring to the table!

1. Nier: Automata

I actually first played this in 2021 hot on the heels of playing Replicant, which ended up being a bit of mistake because I was a bit burnt out by the end of it. Decided to replay it this year and found myself enjoying it much, much more. Yoko Taro's writing combined with the dynamic soundtrack by Keiichi Okabe and an actual competent studio behind the actual gameplay made for a truly special game. As someone who first played Nier on the PS3 it remains insane to me that this sequel was ever made, but I'm grateful it was and hope this won't be the last we see of this universe.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

McCracAttack posted:

Ghost of Tsushima caught me by surprise too. I dismissed it as yet another AAA open world game like all the rest but it really was something special.

I feel like the mission structure really helped it for me. Having side-quests be part of a larger story involving a particular character (and explicitly categorized as such) really helped avoid the typical "ok is this side quest I stumbled upon actually any good or just fluff" that I feel with other open world games. Generally everything just felt very well-paced and logically presented to me in contrast with other AAA open world games I've bounced off of.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Epic High Five posted:

The DQ11 demo is something ridiculous like 12 hours long, anyway it really picks up when you get to the desert city whose name I forget and how long it is until it appears I've also forgotten, but it's not too long. The thing I like best about it is that it feels almost designed to beat in bursts over the course of 2 years

the written summary of what's currently going on in the story when you load the game is ftw