Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I don't have anything meaningful to say about these games, really, but I wanted to submit my list because I think it was a very good year in gaming.

1. Elden Ring - The first Soulsish game I've been able to really get into beyond the visuals and lore, in large part because of the caliber of the open world and how fun it is to just traipse about and see what you can find. The most fun I've had just exploring a world since Skyrim.
2. Tactics Ogre: Reborn - Not the 100% no-questions-asked definitive edition I hoped it would be, but still the best version of one of the best RPGs ever made. Great on the Deck, too, cementing it as Vita 2.0.
3. Dwarf Fortress - I've finally managed to connect with this game, both from playing a lot of RimWorld and the accessibility offered by this edition of the game, and - surprise surprise - it's amazing. Definitely one I'll have installed basically forever.
4. Citizen Sleeper - My favorite narrative bits of the year and a great cyberpunk aesthetic. The actual game bits get a bit too easy too quickly, but otherwise there's not much I know of out there quite like this.
5. Pentiment - I stan rope kid no matter what he does, and he made another banger here.
6. Victoria 3 - As someone who really dislikes the war part of PDS games this is perfect. War is often bad, and when it does happen it's mostly automated. I can spend my time instead listening to great music and making numbers go up on a lovely map.
7. Total War: Warhammer III - This is only on here because of Immortal Empires - and thus requires games 1 and 2. If you have those, though, the scope and scale is unlike anything else in strategy gaming, and probably will be for many years to come.
8. Dorfromantik - My "run based" game when I just want to chill out and create something. It's quite a feat to create a game that lets you create a beautiful world basically no matter what.
9. Norco - The small-narrative-game hits continue. I went into this game about alternate-history small-town Louisiana completely blind and came away thinking it was the closest thing to Kentucky Route Zero I've played since.
10. Tunic - I didn't get on so well with the combat in Tunic, but the discovery and sense of adventure was spot on. Great look, too.

Anno fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Dec 25, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anno
May 10, 2017

Wittgen posted:

Cool list but if you don't write at least a sentence about each game, your votes won't get counted.

Escobarbarian posted:

Great list! Definitely edit your post to add just a small amount about each game to make sure it gets counted :)

Fair enough! I didn’t see that bit. Will do.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Relax Or DIE posted:

asking for a modicum of thought owns actually

I agree!

Stux posted:

making a list is alreaydy thought. let people live how they want.

But also this. It's not that the thought didn't go into the list, I just didn't write it out here initially. But now I have, and I think it's a fair ask in the end.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I need to give DQXI another shot. I played the first few hours and was charmed, but there’s no real immediate hook that kept me around. I assume it’s probably a decent Deck game, maybe I’ll try it there.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I thought it was a good game even at launch, tbh. I do need to give it another play when the DLC hits. And it’s probably still the best “show off your new GPU” game

Anno
May 10, 2017

I’ve been quoted four times and all of them are the most IGN-rear end lame as gently caress nothing box quote lmao. I need to think a bit more about what I write next year.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Wife and kid take off just in time to crack a beer and enjoy the top 10 :cool:

Anno
May 10, 2017

Hell yeah go Pentiment. And lowkey go Gamepass for apparently letting such a weird little cool thing exist.

Congrats rope kind & team.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Jesus Christ @ those scores lmao. Elden Ring: Most Game of the Year 20**

Thank you Rarity, VG and everyone else who helped! Awesome thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anno
May 10, 2017

Subjunctive posted:

I can't find it in the thread now, please help!

There was an SRPG that people recommended that wasn't Tactics or Triangle. I think the name started with an S?

E: also would love a Pentiment sixer if it's in the offing!

Maybe Symphony of War?

If not then I recommend it.