Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
Honourable Mentions

Guilty Gear Strive (2021)

Rarity, you made a great opening post that covers the many events in video gaming this year. However, there is one glaring omission that I will call you out on. The true best news of the year, Bridget is back! And she's rocking a new set of pronouns! While I do not own the game, I am online enough to give her the special award of the Loveliest Lady in Gaming 2022. Bridget says Trans rights!

Gears of War (2006)

By golly, the Gears really are fascist pricks!

Call of Duty: World at War (2008)

Well that was a bad time for many people involved; I sure hope that humanity has learned the lesson and never again engages in such a horrifyingly stupid and hateful waste of life. Peace on Earth! Human Rights!

Luigi's Mansion 2 (2013)

These games are not very spooky at all, but do a great job at establishing an emotional connection to Luigi; where you want to help him pull through and bust the ghosts because it is spooky to him. Luigi says Gay Rights!

de Blob (2008)

Get your gender-fluid all over the Ministry of Ink's efforts to impose a black and white binary over the brilliant and varied colors of nature! Paint the Police! Blob says Non-binary Rights!

Now to continue the good postings with my own top 10.

10. Batman: Arkham Asylum (2009)

There are a lot of things this game does well, such as the heavy atmosphere, the stealth encounter designs and the smooth punching of dudes. On another year's list, this game may have ended up with more points, but there is something I need to address. Old Bruce has gotten himself in the Problem Attic for his statements during his run for the the mayor's office. Specifically, "...Abortion is a choice. It is the same choice that man at Crime Alley made when he killed my parents." So, I am going to cut him off here to prevent him from suddenly appearing later in the list to ruin the positive vibes with further unsolicited opinions.

9. Horizon Forbidden West (2022)
It's pretty good, you can throw exploding spears at robot dinosaurs. The game feel is still great, there is an actual final boss this time and there is a continuation of the thematic focus on how people choose to interpret and tell the story of the past. The haters do have a point in that the game has way too much content simply because as a sequel, it is expected to have more of all the previous game's featured elements and the same number of story quests without as much of the hero's journey template or mystery to sustain itself on. The NPCs are all willing to dump their entire life story on Aloy when she is just traveling cross-country to pick up custom parts to build the ultimate gaming PC. Aloy says Gay Rights! (But it does not mean she'll date you)

8. Non-Binary (2022)
This interactive art project is here representing the itch.io Queer Games Bundle 2022. I won't say much more about in this post because it so short that giving details about it would be spoilers. The runtime is well used, and I have a personal connection to it because I am non-binary myself. It gives me agency to be able to say that my pronouns are they/them.

7. Kirby's Dream Land (1992)
You can't go wrong with Kirby, even the first game was great. Kirby says poyo!

6. Silent Hill 4 (2004)
The game that allows you to live the goon experience of refusing to clean your room, even when the mess has gotten to the point where it is actively harming you.

5. Klonoa HD (2022)
Optimal Character Design:
  • Cute little guy
  • Moves at the right speed
  • Can jump high
  • Shouts WAHOO!
4. Final Fantasy 7 for the PlayStation 1 (1997)
This is specifically the original, which will always be a defining cultural work of literature. It's 25 years old, but it still looks and sounds excellent! How does it do that?

3. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D (2011)
It's the official best game of all time, and now it's in 3D! I could not add anything more to that other than, Link says Hyahh!

2. Spider-Man for the PlayStation 4 (2018)
I want Spider-Man to web me up and punish me for being such a naughty boy this year. Spider-Man says Pizza Time!

1. Stranger of Paradise Final Fantasy Origin (2022)
There needs to be more games with the understanding this game has to what it is doing and how it is doing it. A multitude of ways to mash monsters. A love letter to the Final Fantasy series and also to video gaming in general. It is outstanding. It exceeds expectations. It's just a good game. Jack says CHAOS! He also says neurodivergent rights!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
Great games, great year!