Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Updog Scully
Apr 20, 2021

This post is accompanied by all the requisite visual and audio effects.

:blastback::woomy::blaster:
Fantastic OP, though I do think the announcement of Chris Pratt's casting as Mario deserves more presence. In fact, the September graphic should say "The Month Miyamoto Announced Chris Pratt Would Be Mario And Said He's So Cool".

For clarity, I, a shameless post-editor, edited this post to add #10 - #5.

#10: Fortnite
Zero Build mode is a game-changer. Gone is the stupid tower building bullshit, replaced with a ridiculous smorgasbord of unique, fun, crazy weapons and vehicles. There's seriously so much stuff in the game now, and it's constantly refreshing. The entire map was just scrapped and replaced in a game-changing blockbuster event. They added dirt-bikes out of nowhere. The game is worth playing just to marvel at the sheer spectacle of it all. However, it is still Fortnite, and as such I am giving it the Fortnite spot.

#9: Ultimate Chicken Horse
This game is an absolute belter with some pals. It's been consistently updated from release onwards, so now it has an onslaught of cute characters and unique stages - the Mainframe stage they added in 2018 is one of my favourites. The game only allows for some strategic gameplay, and victory boils down to platforming skills in the end, but it's the gold standard for party platforming games.

#8: Vampire Survivors
I like this game, but not quite as much as some people seem to. It's good for a quick endorphin rush, but its gameplay is hardly engaging (which I guess is the point, just not my cup of tea). Still putting it on because I got addicted, even if it's in the way you get hooked on cheap ciggies.

#7: Pictopix
It's Picross. While it is by no means the only Picross I've played this year, it has my favourite music of the Picrosses this year.

#6: Inscryption
I'm continually surprised by the lack of love my fellow goons show for this game. It's amazing! The gameplay is great, the story is really great - play this game, without any foreknowledge if you can, and it'll knock your socks off.

#5: Hitman Trilogy (you can count this as Hitman 3 for statistical purposes if that works out better, even though I haven't actually played any of 3's content yet :lol:)
This game would probably be higher but I am putting myself through the hell that is Professional difficulty at the moment and it's kicking my rear end. The main impact is that the pace of the trilogy for me is far too slow, owing to the impressively sized levels: I've been playing for nearly a month and I'm still not through the first game yet. It's worth it, because when I do complete a level, I feel an exhilarating rush - I earned my win through intricate planning and precise gameplay. Seriously, the game on Professional mode offers real mercenary thrills, the opportunity for players to really prove that they can pull off a master assassination. You can still follow story missions, but working them out this way really makes you work hard for them - you earn the funny ironic death. You can be left reeling just from context-sensitive actions - "wait, I can do that? So, if you killed him this way... Oh. Ohhhh." Seriously great game.

#4: Dwarf Fortress
My experience with this game was booting it up and realising it was RimWorld with less punishing bullshit and way more detail. Its spot on my list was ensured when I scrolled my mouse wheel and realised there was an actual Z axis. Yes, it just came out and I just started playing it, but I love the dwarves and I am happy when they diggy diggy hole. I cannot wait to build a 150-dwarf super complex, only to have it felled by a giant were-spider.

#3: Poinpy
Yes, I am putting a Netflix mobile game higher than Dwarf Fortress. This is no ordinary mobile game, though - this is Poinpy! Developed by the creator of Downwell, Poinpy is a little fellow who bounces upwards instead of downwards. Players use a joyous touch interface to ricochet Poinpy off walls, collecting fruits to placate a hungy blue guy at the bottom of the screen. As the game continues, more elaborate concoctions are required, but the game isn't infinite and a beautiful ending awaits sufficiently skilled players. Poinpy is a delight and if you have Netflix it's a no-brainer. Seriously download this game, it's awesome.

#2: Splatoon 3
This game is crazy fun! If you already have Splatoon 2, this is the same game but the specials are actually good now, which should make it an instant buy. Splatoon is a perfectly distilled arena shooter - shoot with ZL, squid (which combines sprinting, reloading, going prone, parkour, and climbing walls) with ZR. It's pretty much the perfect control scheme, keeping the complexity of a modern FPS with super-simple controls, especially with gyro turned on - I need gyro controls in every shooter after this game. The game features a fully fledged single player campaign, a fleshed out PvE which actually released on launch unlike Overwatch 2, and a meaty update three months in with several more planned over the next few years. A few of the maps need a bit of tweaking, but otherwise, if you have a Switch and don't have this game, please do yourself a favour and grab a copy. Booyah!

#1: Elden Ring
I loved Elden Ring and I regret none of the two months I wasted away playing it. Won't say much more than that, because honestly, do I need to? This needs to be the top game of this year - hell, it's one of the greatest games ever made.

Updog Scully fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Dec 19, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Updog Scully
Apr 20, 2021

sorry for not playing your game Mr Rope I will do better

fridge corn posted:

This thread is a bigger deal than Geoff Keighley Presents: The Bill Clinton Awards brought to you by Funny Child and 10 Minute Kratos

Updog Scully
Apr 20, 2021

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Rope Kid should be banned from this thread, so as not to bias the judges

:hmmyes: blatant electioneering and vote manipulation

Updog Scully
Apr 20, 2021

horizzzzzzzzzz

ok that is enough. Positive Vibes Only everybody!

Updog Scully fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Dec 13, 2022

Updog Scully
Apr 20, 2021

Stux posted:

Cry havoc, and let slip the bogs of chore

I personally like having a lazy praise thread. Come on, it's Christmas for God's sake. Even if zingers are fun, lighten the gently caress up and allow for a cosy dumb thread about fings wot i like

Updog Scully
Apr 20, 2021

As an aside, this year was crazy in terms of hardware. The two major releases were the Steam Deck, which is a Switch taken to the logical extreme of power, and the Playdate, a Switch taken to the other logical extreme of power. Completely nutty. Zany, evn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Updog Scully
Apr 20, 2021

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCd4PGffw_o Play Toree and Toree 2. They are cheap. They are good