Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
Honorable mentions

Sam Barlow's Immortality
I bounced hard off of Her Story and only found out that this was the same guy after I had downloaded it, so I wasn't expecting much. I wound up enjoying this enough to find all the clips, despite some frustration at the end. God bless Game Pass.

The Silver Case
Don't play all the Transmitter cases in a row before starting the Placebo cases. Would really like to play this again but it's just so drat slow.

Metal Gear 2 & Metal Gear Solid: Ghost Babel
The 2D prototype and 2D remake of MGS, highly recommend for all Metal Gear fans.

Final Fantasy VII Remake
It took a long time for the combat to click for me, but when it finally did I had a blast with it. Shame that most of the game was bullshit minigames and slow load time walking.

Yakuza 5
This was certainly The Most Yakuza! Some of the best side content in the whole series, but also a whole lot of cruft over the 60000 hours it took to finish.

Slay the Spire
I finally ate the donut and killed a boss on turn one. Next stop, A20! Just as soon as I finish ascension 19...

Top Ten

10) Record of Lodoss War: Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth
It's a castleoid with Ikaruga-style polarity changing to absorb enemy fire. But unlike Outland I actually finished this one. Boss fights were challenging the whole game through.

9) Yakuza 6: The Song of Life
The anti Yakuza 5, this one is so light on sidequests it doesn't even have locker keys. But that just puts the spotlight on the story for a change, and the last few chapters of Kiryu's saga are a hell of a rollercoaster.

8) Ace Attorney: Justice for All
Hell, I even liked the clown case.

7) Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime
Never heard of this one before I played it, you gather monsters and ammo and then have those monsters shoot that ammo out of tanks. The tensest I felt while gaming all year was in the final Tank Masters battle, trying to tackle that bastard healslime as he hopped in circles all around my exposed core.

6) Astro Boy: Omega Factor
Passed on this one back in the day because of the license - well, I hosed up. A stew of ideas from nearly every previous Treasure game, and almost all of the ideas work great.

5) Tunic
Despite some combat related frustration, this was on track to be my game of the century. An ill-advised mechanic introduced just before the halfway point had me turn on god mode for pretty much the whole rest of the game, and despite the brilliance of the final puzzle, the back half mostly just felt like a chore. Mindshare GotY tho, I spent a lot of time just thinking about it.

4) Nobody Saves the World
Gameplay loop of the year, except for that other game. Levelling and switching between forms was a blast.

3) Dragon Warrior VII (PSX)
The Yakuza 5 of the series, this is much like Dragon Quest VI except way more of everything. And despite not being a big fan of the endless and aimless sidequests in VI, the siloed nature of the vignettes here makes each excursion feel more like a proper adventure.

2) Yakuza: Like a Dragon
Being a big DQ fan but also a big Kiryu Kazama fan, I was cautiously optimistic about this. It met every expectation and then some - can't wait for the next Ichiban entry.

1) Vampire Survivors
Single stick shooter? Mover? Roguelike arena? I'm sure we'll all be sick to death of whatever they call the genre before long, but in the meantime, I'll be killing milk elementals again and again. And again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

Jay Rust posted:

Post ur favourite 2022 game music!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9hMfNXw8sw