Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Incredible and very informative OP - I had forgotten a lot of stuff that had happened (all the NFT bullshit) and I actually hadn't heard the follow-up re: Adriana Chechik and that's just horrible.

On a (hopefully) lighter note, Here's my Top Ten, click here to bypass all these :words: and jump straight to just the list!

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/AcclaimedInbornIndianrockpython-mobile.mp4
10. DOOM Eternal (2020):
For the first quarter-to-a-third of playing this, I was very disappointed with this game. I'd come in with high hopes from the 2016 Doom, hoping for more of the same, and at first it appeared that Id Software had taken all the wrong lessons from that excellent game. The ridiculous plot kept taking precedence, the Doom Slayer was just walking around doing as he was told and showing deference to people (at one point he takes a loving knee for some random King dude, what the hell?), and the early lack of diversity of weapons made the combat - the highlight of 2016 - a real slog.

Then somebody told the Doom Slayer he couldn't just shoot a hole in Mars.

Like a switch had been flipped, or perhaps because the game had finally hit a critical mass of building up enough skills/abilities and unlocking more weapons, suddenly the entire game improved immensely. Combat became a blast, the dumb story kept being thrown at the player but the Doom Slayer just did not give the slightest gently caress. Every moment seemed designed to let you as the player and the Doom Slayer as the character to just go ham and shoot the gently caress out of some demons. The game wraps up in very satisfying fashion, the Doom Slayer's very limited vocabulary is used to perfect effect, and by the time the game ends this feels like a very worthy successor to 2016's best in the Metal Album Covers Turned Video Game genre.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/SimplisticCheeryLangur-mobile.mp4
9. Ori & The Will of the Wisps (2020):
The sequel to the 2015 game is prettier than the (very pretty) original, and shows a real growth in confidence from Moon Studios, though it doesn't quite have the same sense of magic and wonder that the first game delivered in such spades. It does hit a lot of the same strong emotional beats though, and while sometimes some of the chase sequences can be a little frustrating and there are points where it isn't entirely clear where or what you're supposed to go/do next, it's still a compelling and extremely satisfying experience.

The game is full of utterly charming characters, found family, and a recurring theme that there is no (or at least very little) "true" evil in the world, just those who have suffered trauma or been exploited or been the victim of unintended consequences... but it is ALWAYS possible to come back from that, to put aside the pain and hurt and anger and try to be better. Which isn't to say the game is a hug-box or is overly saccharine, it is filled with sad and painful moments but even those are mostly bittersweet and constantly reinforce the theme that better things are always possible.

It's a wonderful, entertaining, extremely well-designed action-platformer that holds up well to their Freshman effort, and if you haven't played it I recommend it highly. It's often on sale and in package deals with the original game, and is well worth the price.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/UnsungKlutzyBarbet-mobile.mp4
8. Spider-Man (2018):
I listed this in my Top 10 back in 2018, when I played it on a borrowed PS4. I picked it up again when it came out on PC, with the added bonus of the DLC content that came out post-release on PS4 being bundled with it, and I was delighted to see it still holds up well almost half-a-decade later. While the open-world collect-athon nature has been done to death, and a lot of it feels like busywork to bulk up playtime, even just playing the main game only gives you plenty to do and a good deal of variety.

It's not without its flaws, the forced sections where you play as NOT Spider-Man can be a little tedious as it takes away Spidey's mobility, gadgets, fighting ability etc for what are essentially on-rails stealth sections. Despite the attempts to create a lot of options for different things to do, they do often feel repetitive, the cop worship/surveillance state stuff was bad in 2018 and staggeringly tone-deaf in 2022, and the triggers for some missions are deceptively broad meaning you can sometimes end up in a main story mission when you just felt like loving about web-swinging through the city.

But oh my God that web-swinging! There is nothing quite like zipping, swinging and climbing between skyscrapers, over rooftops, above traffic etc as you traverse the large, openly accessible New York City. You can play pretty-princess dress-up with Spidey in an enormous amount of alternative costumes unlocked via gameplay/challenges, there are a bunch of gadgets for Spidey to experiment with in combat, and most importantly of all they absolutely NAILED Peter's personality. He's an earnest, well-meaning and extremely intelligent and moral person... who is also a complete dork, a bumbling idiot, and appalling at time-management. Insomnia captured the soul of Spidey as a character, which along with the various Easter eggs the game provides really makes Spider-Man feel like a labor of love from true fans of the character, who is now and probably always will be my absolute favorite comic book character. I've yet to play the Miles Morales follow-up to this game, but even if it only delivers more of the same that we got from this game, I'm excited to try it, and even more excited to see what Insomnia can do next with a true Spidey sequel.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/WickedHideousGrebe-mobile.mp4
7. Ori & The Blind Forest (2015):
The first of Moon Studio's Ori games, this one was a revelation that drew me in and made me obsess over helping this sweet little spirit save the lives of family both original and found, as well as all the new friends and even some enemies it met in the forest during its adventures. Right from the very beginning, the game absolutely nails its atmosphere through the gorgeous art, the wonderful music, charming character design and well-put together levels.

Beginning a theme it would continue through the second game, the Blind Forest does a remarkable job of making its central villain both terrifying and sympathetic, with an "origin" that makes you understand how it could have ended up the way it was. That doesn't make it any less scary as it hunts and attempts to kill Ori to prevent the restoration of light to the forest, but it does continually add context to the events of the game as it unfolds.

An action-platformer with Metroidvania nods, the game allows Ori to slowly build up skills and abilities that unlock new areas, adapt strategies for pre-existing locations, and simultaneously build the confidence of both Ori as a character and for the player. The game seems meticulously designed to ease the player into pulling off stuff that would have been utterly beyond their comprehension at the start of the game, with intuitive and sensible controls and well-paced introduction/development of abilities that obfuscate just how much is being asked of you, making it all feel entirely natural. If you want to play an utterly charming, emotional and well-executed platforming game, then there are very few (Hollow Knight perhaps) that I'd recommend above it.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/CriminalZestyIrishredandwhitesetter-mobile.mp4
6. Red Dead Redemption 2 (2018):
Like Spider-Man, I first played RDR2 back in 2018 on a borrowed PS4. It was my Game of the Year that year, but I suspected time and familiarity would make this year's playthrough on the PC reveal to me a lot more of the gaps and flaws I might have overlooked my first time through.

Nope.

This is a superb game, the best Rockstar has made that I've played (the cowards won't release RDR on PC so I can't say if that was better, but I highly doubt it) and the best protagonist they've ever created in Arthur Morgan. I poured almost 240 hours into the game, which did not include any of Red Dead Online, and if I could have I would have spent longer in the mid-part of the game, before Arthur's TB diagnosis and his slow and then rapid decline in health. The level of detail is incredible, the scope of the world amazing, the huge variety in what is available, the giant gameworld and all the various NPCs/animals and events etc clashing together to create seemingly random confluence of events that can spiral into utter chaos.

But beyond the general joy of simply existing in this world, Rockstar also wrote a drat good story. Setting aside for the most part the mean-spirited nihilistic writing present in GTA IV and GTA V, almost every character (including the antagonists, with one NOTABLE exception) are written like actual human beings. They're flawed, they gently caress up, they cause problems... but they're also friends, allies, well-meaning acquaintances or people temporarily aligned with you to further their own cause. The game creates a remarkable sense of community, particularly within the Van der Linde Gang's camps. There as something remarkably right about waking in the morning, pouring a coffee and standing around to chat with the others, do some chores, sit down around the campfire and shoot the poo poo, play a little poker or dominoes, go fishing, feed the horses etc before chowing down on some of Pearson's stew ("Make a big pot, I'm real hungry!").

Arthur is a fantastic character, presumably even if you play him at Low Honor (I'll never know :colbert:), his journal offering real flavor to the experiences you take him through and how he feels about them, the gang, their future, and himself. You can walk, run, ride, take the train, visit towns, go hunting, get into shooting contests, bump into random weirdoes and get involved in their lives, be a bounty hunter, track down a serial killer, kill a vampire, discover archeological sites, dig up dinosaur bones, meet wolf-men and track down rock carvings, build up your wardrobe and your armory, get into drunken fistfights, go to jail, escape from jail, ride a hot air balloon, take a boat ride, encounter a robot and more and more and more besides. It's a huge game, a huge world, all of which makes Arthur's lamentations about the way America seems to be getting "smaller" all the more remarkable and hopefully set the stage for another prequel to come eventually in Red Dead Redemption 3. I'll be there to play it if they make it, because based on on RDR2 I am fully back onboard the Rockstar train after GTAIV and V left me feeling like I could take it or leave it. Let me be a rooty shooty cowboy again!

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/GeneralBraveKouprey-mobile.mp4
5. Stray (2022):
There's a story-line about robots, an underground society, a plague, subplots about various robots achieving goals or reuniting with family, a corrupted police system and machinery that now maintains a function that has long since lost any purpose etc... but at the heart of it all, what drew people to this game and what gives it so much of its utter charm is... the cat!

You play a cat, a tiny little cat that gets separated from its cat friends, meets a little robot friend and sets about getting out of an underground city to find its cat friends again. Along the way it does everything a cat does. It explores, it meows, it jumps up places it shouldn't be, and most importantly it takes lots of naps! The design of the cat is exceptional, it's such a sweet little thing and moving through the levels, making new friends, solving puzzles and escaping danger is a delight.

The art design is delightful and charming, the animation is strong, the robots are capable of remarkable emotional expression through very simple visual cues... but it's all about the cat! The game is more than just that gimmick though, it's a fun exploration/puzzle game where you just so happen to be a cat, but that means the environments, "normal" as they are (for an underground sealed city populated by robots!) are gigantic and cavernous and filled with any many of pitfalls... but you're also a cat, so you're more than capable of squeezing through small spots, leaping ridiculously high, and slipping stealthily past even the most observant automaton.

The only real negative I had on this thoroughly charming game is that it ends with the cat not being shown to reunite with its cat friends after it gets out of the city, but other than that it's a strong end to a strong game, with a clever and fairly unique gimmick that is used well and makes for a charming, fun and often adorable experience. Any sequel would hopefully not go back to the same well and instead explore the exterior locations briefly seen at the start of the game, but after taking a chance on this first game I'd be eager to take a chance on a second. After all, it's not every day you get to be a cat!

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/EarlyRecklessAnteater-mobile.mp4
4. Yakuza 6 (2016):
After blasting through Yakuzas 3 - 5 in 2021, I needed a bit of a break from Yakuza. Not because it wasn't good anymore, but there's only simply so much insanity the mind can take, and that's what the Yakuza games are. Glorious insanity, but insanity nonetheless. I'm glad I took the break, it made me appreciate Yakuza 6 all the more when I finally got o play it, and really revel in the combination of hard-boiled drama and absolutely ridiculous and hilarious nonsense.

This is a fitting finale to Kiryu's story... except, of course, next year we're getting the Ishin game featuring historical Kiryu with a different name, a brand new Kiryu game AND then in 2024 or so he's going to be the co-star of Like a Dragon 8! Because just like in the games, Kiryu just can't keep himself out of all this ridiculous nonsense, he's incapable of not giving 150% at all times! Though ironically, Yakuza 6 DOES scale back somewhat from the enormous Yakuza 5 and the multi-protagonist structure of the last couple of games in order to tell a simpler and more straightforward personal story.

Of course, it's Yakuza, so that "simple" story is full of wild plot-twists, numerous antagonists, overly convoluted evil plots, machinations, secret societies, old man assassins, double-crosses, multiple criminal gangs and everything else we've come to expect and love from Yakuza.

All the wacky goodness of the substories returns too, along with all the humor of the powerfully earnest and wholesome (if horny) Kiryu and his new friends (the Hiroshima boys are a delight) plus some old. There's a whole sub-game about Kiryu forming an army to fight a rival army whose generals are all New Japan pro-wrestlers, the usual Cabaret Club shenanigans, all the mini-games of course, slightly rude but enthusiastic children, a bunch of cameos from prior games (Pocket Circuit Fighter! Mame! Shangri-La!), plus Beat Takeshi!

As far as Yakuza games go, it ranks high. The graphics are gorgeous, the engine runs smoothly if allowing for some rather hilarious physics sometimes when Kiryu punches a guy 30 meters down the road (a feature, not a bug!), and it provides all the familiar, enjoyable and often heartwarming experiences of Kamurochō that we've come to love over the course of Yakuzas 0 - 6. I can't wait to play Yakuza 7: Like A Dragon! And Judgment and Lost Judgment and Ishin! and Like a Dragon Gaiden, and Like a Dragon 8! I poured 100 hours into Yakuza 6 and hundreds more into 0 through 5, and I still want more!

YAKUZA!

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/DeliciousGenerousIchthyostega-mobile.mp4
3. Hitman 3 (2021):
After a year as an Epic Exclusive, Hitman 3 finally came to Steam and people were actually able to play it... and boy did I play it! Sinking another 200+ hours into yet another Hitman game (and it would have been more if I hadn't put over 24 hours into the briefly available separate test run on Hitman 3's new Freelancer mode), I once again replayed all the Hitman 1 and 2 levels in 3's engine, plus all of Hitman 3's new levels as well, then a bunch of Elusive Targets (one chance only, failure locks you out), Elusive Target Arcade (3 ETs linked by a common theme, with a 12 hour block on retrying if you fail), and Featured Contracts (existing levels with repurposed targets/restrictions put in place by the community)... and I still wanted more! Hell, I even replayed Contracts, Blood Money and.... ugh.... Absolution.... I was so desperate for MORE Hitman contact.

Something about these games just scratches an itch for me, and Hitman 3 continues what Hitman 2016 and Hitman 2 did so well. They wrap up the Providence storyline that started in 2016, and while the actual main plot is take it or leave it (it's fine, though I'm far more interested in 47 and Diana's co-dependent relationship as handler/assassin and their timid, hesitant and slightly confused development from professionally cordial/trusting to actual friends maybe) it serves well as a way to introduce more of the world's worst rich and influential assholes to kill in creative and highly entertaining ways.

This time around you get to infiltrate one of the world's tallest towers in Saudi Arabia, a country mansion in England, a shut-down Power Plant repurposed into a rave club in Germany, the tightly packed slums above a futuristic facility in China, an expansive estate/winery in Argentina and an on-rails (literally!) train mission in the Carpathian Mountains (plus an inserted mission pre the final level of Hitman 2, set on an island in the Strait of Malacca mostly peopled by a pirate crew). Undertaking the missions sees 47 don his usual weird variety of disguises, use all manner of weapons both intentional and makeshift, kill people in very simple or very complicated ways, and somehow along the way be utterly hilarious in spite of his completely deadpan delivery and monotone voice.

Diana plays a bigger part in this game than any other, and the Argentina mission is a delight for the interactions 47 can have with her (yes, she's in the level!) and her reactions to seeing the bullshit 47 pulls up close and personal for a change. But it's Berlin where the game REALLY shines, as in a departure from the usual mission structure, 47 discovers 11 of the best assassins in the world have been sent after him and he quickly and efficiently overturns their mission and makes THEM the hunted. Listening to their handler (their version of "Diana") slowly realize that 47 is getting the better of them, to the point she tries to call off the whole mission, and her bitter resignation when she realizes 47 has somehow killed ALL of them (killing 5 triggers the end of the mission, but you can kill all of them if you work it right) is a hell of a moment. Check out this video for an example of somebody completely dominating this level, it's quite a sight to behold.

This is one of the amazing things about the Hitman games, and Hitman 3 is no different. There are SO many ways you can approach a level, so many different way things can go, from the sublime to the ridiculous. You can be an awkward, clumsy mess and bumble your way through completing your missions, or you can be an astonishingly smooth operator who enters a mission, does his job and leaves with nobody any the wiser that he was ever there, or even that anybody was killed at all. I don't know what is next for Hitman (IOI is working on a James Bond game at the moment) beyond Freelancer Mode (which I am pumped for!) but I really hope we see more of it, because for the last 6 years these games have generated hundreds of hours of entertainment for me and I'm still not sick of it, and I hope I never will be.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/MixedGoodnaturedKid-mobile.mp4
2. Elden Ring (2022):
There's always a concern that a hyped up game becomes a victim of its own hype, because how can anything live up to the imagination of potential players whose minds don't have to worry about things like work schedules, budget and time limitations or even what is technically possible. Cyberpunk 2077 and No Man's Sky come to mind, games that by all accounts were eventually patched up to something closer to what was initially promised but faced a real uphill climb to get past the initial disappointment of their release version.

Not so Elden Ring, which was hyped up to absurd levels and then somehow not only met them but exceeded them, at least in my opinion. This is a game in which you had a giant expanse of open land, various buildings including strongholds, the ruins of towns, cave systems etc to explore, underground hidden environments, high up battlements guarded by dangerous beings pledged to prevent your access, swarms of patrolling soldiers for whom even death could not prevent their duty, optional bosses, hidden doors, portals, intriguing and troubling lore to discover and decipher, helpful NPCs, SUSPICIOUSLY helpful NPCs, mysterious blocked/locked locations that require rare keys to access, dragons that pushed you to your utmost, and a final boss that insisted you weren't worthy of replacing them.

And all that was just everything up to the FIRST castle of the game :stwoon:

Elden Ring is MASSIVE. However big you thought it was, it was bigger. Everytime a massive section of the map was revealed, it just showed you how much bigger the area you HADN'T explored yet was. FROM essentially married Dark Souls to Breath of the Wild, and it was glorious, utterly glorious. There was SO MUCH and yet somehow I never suffered from choice paralysis. The game kept beckoning me to play a little longer, to explore a little more. Every time I ran into a roadblock, I knew that there was an entire massive world out there I could go explore instead of slamming my head against a brick wall. And on top of all that, it was beautiful, it was surreal, it was creepy, it was compelling and horrifying and inspiring and hellish and I just could. not. stop. playing.

It is a "Souls" game, of course, so there were points I hit frustration in spite of those options, but never to the point that it made me not enjoy the game, more that it drove me to distraction and I couldn't think about anything else but how to deal with that problem... and it was immensely satisfying when I succeeded. The story was intriguing, the decision to take George R.R. Martin's written lore and then set the game hundreds (thousands?) of years later in the ruins of that society was exactly the right one. Uncovering the truth of what happened (and realizing just how much FROM - the trolls! - gave away in the first ever teaser trailer!) was an incredible experience, but then so was the entire game.

I devoured this game when it came out. I obsessed over it. I assumed that nothing could top it in 2022. After all, what other game could match the breadth, the depth, the width, the sheer size and scope and audacity of what FROM produced in this, the culmination of all their work from Demon Souls through all the Dark Souls, Bloodborne and hell even Sekiro? What could compete with their masterpiece? The answer of course, was nothing... because it didn't have to.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/SpryIdealArcticwolf-mobile.mp4
1. Pentiment (2022):
Pentiment is... extraordinary. It isn't close to the size (and certainly not the budget!) of Elden Ring, but it is the only other game this year that essentially became an obsession for me to play (and to some extent, the brief trial window I was allowed to play Hitman's Freelancer mode), and one I couldn't stop thinking about after I finished it.

An adventure game, it tells the story of 16th Century artist Andreas Maler, close to finishing his "masterpiece" and getting married in order to be officially recognized as a Master Artist and free to open his own studio and begin a long career painting for clients. Living in the fictional town of Tassing in Bavaria where he works in the scriptorium of a double-monastery while completing his masterpiece, Andreas finds himself caught up in a murder and having to find the true culprit when his mentor, the elderly and extremely peaceful Brother Piero, is accused of the crime.

But this isn't your standard detective game. Pentiment provides Andreas - who is NOT a detective - with tantalizing clues and information but never quite enough to definitively say for certain who the killer actually was... but enough to make a feasible accusation. Who you choose to accuse will have enormous implications for the town, for the monastery, for Andreas himself... and that's just the first of 3 major cases that need to be solved across a game that covers 25 years. Across that time there are changes in society, changes in the Church, changes in politics, beyond the repercussions of Andreas' actions but also affecting those as well.

So why is this the Game of the Year? Because it drew me in deeper and affected me more personally than any other game this year. The characters in the village have enormous depth, their relationships and their petty feuds and their hopes and their fears and their legitimate grievances are incredibly well-realized. The art is striking and used incredibly cleverly - older characters' colors fade and become damaged like old art that hasn't been maintained, while the young characters are bright and vibrant. The use of font is perfect, particularly of importance given Andreas' love of books and of course the fact he works in a scriptorium, even if he works there as an artist and not a scribe. Everything is steeped in history but presented so smoothly that it doesn't matter if you know nothing about that period of time, you are given the context to understand what is going on or has happened and why.

But that historical context is also cleverly used to hide some key major factors from the player. Because of course while people are people regardless of when they lived, there are different cultural and historical values that come into play. One of the key motivating factors behind the events of the game is something the player likely immediately sees/understands from near the start of the game... but as a modern player, the significance this revelation would have to a 16th Century Bavarian isn't quite so obvious... but it makes perfect sense when you find out.

Art, music, setting, character, dialogue, interactions, consequence... it's all masterfully handled in Pentiment, with an ending that hits a strong emotional note as - in typical Obsidian fashion - you get a chance to see what happened to the characters you've spent so much time with. The game shocked me, horrified me at times, made me laugh, made me long for pleasant afternoons and evenings sharing meals with townspeople who were shockingly (to modern me) open about inviting you into their home, and made me feel guilty for the decisions I made and the effect they had. I plan to play again and again to see the way things COULD have gone, knowing that at no point will I ever "solve" anything without having the nagging feeling that I missed something, some clue, some piece of information, and that I may have sent an innocent person to their death.

There are two games I played this year that stood head and shoulders over all others: Elden Ring and Pentiment. Both did very different things, both were exceptional experiences. But while Elden Ring was an incredible accomplishment... Pentiment was the Game of the Year, even if this year that distance between first and second was very, very, very close.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jan 4, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

A simple version of my Top Ten without all the :words:

10. Doom Eternal
9. Ori and the Will of the Wisps
8. Spider-Man
7. Ori and the Blind Forest
6. Red Dead Redemption 2
5. Stray
4. Yakuza 6
3. Hitman III
2. Elden Ring
1. Pentiment

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

That's because the games are good! The best of the year in fact :toot:

Also, seriously I had forgotten just how much unbelievable NFT bullshit companies tried to cram down people's throats this year.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Feels Villeneuve posted:

1. Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age
I dunno what to say. This is just a charm festival from start to finish. I know there are people who don't like Dragon Quest, but I don't want to meet them, and IMO they should be permabanned.

:hai:

It was the first Dragon Quest I ever played and maybe it's set my expectations too high, but what a wonderful, charming, warm blanket of a game that got me through the first COVID lockdown my country had to sit through.

Kerrzhe posted:

5. Stray - i did not take any screenshots of Stray so here is a video of my cat. his name is kirby.

Hell yeah Kirby! (Also Stray is great too!)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oxxidation posted:

Honorary mention to ..... Pentiment, a brilliant passion project that I wasn’t able to finish

2. Signalis

RoyalScion posted:

2. Pentiment

1. Signalis

Well, the thread is already living up to its purpose by introducing me to a new game I guess I need to add to my list of things I need to play, if only to better understand how you were both wrong* for putting it above Pentiment!

* Objectively** wrong!
** Subjectively speaking

Edit: But seriously, Signalis went under my radar, looking forward to checking it out!

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Dec 12, 2022

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Necronomicon posted:

I might be able to revisit though, because we ended up getting pregnant later in the year! Little dude is gonna pop out next April and my GOTY list for 2023 will subsequently be extremely short.

Hell yeah, I think we found the ACTUAL thread winner for this year already! :3:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah, really enjoyed reading that list, and I love how DQXI seems to awaken something in people (myself included!) because it really is just that wonderful an experience. :3:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Not every game is for every person and you shouldn't force yourself to try and play a game you're not enjoying even if everybody else seems to love it. You're fine :)

....but maybe make sure you are casting a reflection in a mirror, just to be on the safe side....

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Those gifs are amazing :lol:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Sorry about your cat, Belgian :smith:

Belgian Waffle posted:

eat poo poo Guy, you jackass.

:hai:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Wittgen posted:

"Wow, goons are still innovating best of lists" followed immediately by "I made my list as a doom wad" is just incredible.

Earlier today at the Relax Or DIE studios....

https://i.imgur.com/TiRjivM.mp4

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

An Actual Princess posted:

secret room found.

:vince:

God bless this thread.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Lookit dat little guy :3:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Rarity posted:

I've not even started my list :supaburn:

I'm already planning out my 2023 one.... :sweatdrop:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Some great lists, I actually got confused halfway through BP's list when I noticed none of the entries had numbers, then I realized I hadn't reached the Top 10 yet :allears:

Foul Fowl posted:

5: cuphead DLC (the delicious last course)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUz9xCTOPRw&t=15s

:lol:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

God yes, so happy to see Pentiment getting the love it so richly deserves.

ilmucche posted:

you can buy pork buns off a man in the street then eat them.

Why don't I have a pork bun in my hand right now? :negative:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Hell yes, it is one of the things I love about DQ XI, it's "just" a JRPG, it's just that it is an exceptionally loving great one!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

abelwingnut posted:

i didn't see it in the op or the first few pages, but is there a link to the results from prior years? i see the links to the old threads, but didn't know if anyone had the links to the exact posts or a spreadsheet with the results.

Bottom of the second post in the "Hall of Fame" section, each graphic is clickable and links to the thread for that year.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

xoFcitcrA posted:

Abelwingnut was asking where the results were, not the threads, yeah?

Yep, I got so excited to say where the links were I missed that they'd said they already knew that :doh:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Grapplejack posted:

2. Pentiment - Rope Kid did a great job with this one - the amount of love and care he has for this setting and this general game idea were

Were what, Grapplejack? WERE WHAT!?!?! :gonk:

bone emulator posted:

I fell in love with this charming little village and its inhabitants (well, maybe not the miller).

I hated the Miller so much that I avoided any interaction with him (his family are cool though, and he's got a dog!) in my first playthrough. Second time around, I took him up on an offer to go hunting and I recommend everybody do the same if only to understand that you should really, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY hate the motherfucker, that piece of poo poo, that little bullshit man.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Grapplejack posted:

whoops I got distracted while writing my little thing, I updated it. Also I never saw that scene with the Miller, There's so much of this game I never saw and that's kind of amazing.

I did like four playthroughs and did as much as I could, when I was finally done and uninstalled the game to free up some space, the very next thing posted in the Pentiment thread was somebody discussing a scene I had never seen or had any idea was possible (Act 1 - Paul, Anna and Bert playing by the Salt Mine in the forest). It's incredible.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

BigDumper posted:

I prefer lists that are written like recipes you find on internet food blogs. I need to hear about your 3 months in the Italian countryside to truly understand the list of your games.

"During my 3 months in the Italian countryside I.... drew the blinds, sat inside in the dark, and played Elden Ring. Best trip of my life. 10/10 would recommend."

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

haveblue posted:

How does an elden ring randomizer even work? There's no order in which you're supposed to do things and almost nothing you're locked out of with prerequisites

From what I remember seeing in the Elden Ring thread, it affects enemy placements including bosses. So you might walk into a small courtyard and find Radahn and his adorable little horse waiting for you.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

It was the first Final Fantasy I ever played (and the only one I've ever completed) and I adored it. Even Blitzball, which at first I was annoyed by being forced on me before really getting into it.

Auron is such a kick-rear end (35-year-)old man.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The 7th Guest posted:

Hey y'all, here is pt 2 of my list! There will be... a third part.

Holy poo poo.

I'm in awe and also jealous that you got to play so many games.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Rarity posted:

You guys there are currently a couple of INCREDIBLY tight races in the top 10 :supaburn:

Don't believe the lies!

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Dec 31, 2022

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

CuriousSymptoms posted:

Mostly, however, I enjoyed rolling a warrior with bright green skin, naming them ‘Shrek42069’, and leaving messages around the starting area warning people to be 'wary of bog’ and noting that the donkey next to the merchant was a ‘friend ahead’. I decided to ignore all plot or game directions and instead fully immerse myself in this disrespectful roleplay, finding skulls scattered on the ground and providing football commentary as I kicked them between trees for goalposts. This was a fine and pleasing decision, as the fundamental unseriousness of this approach, contrasting so beautifully with the self-importance of the game’s premise and delivery, infuriated my long-suffering husband to the point of apoplexy, and made me laugh so much, in turn, that I nearly ruptured a stitch. Thanks, then, to FromSoft, but probably not for the reasons they intended.

This loving rules :allears:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

imhotep posted:

Sorry my list is taking so long, I’m trying to figure out what kind of last minute upset I can arrange this year heh heh

I swear to God if Disco Elysium somehow ends up beating Pentiment I'll.... well I'll cry okay. Don't make me cry :smith:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Hell yeah, thanks Rarity and to everybody who posted a list, and particularly for those of you who correctly put Pentiment on your lists.

Unreasonably excited for Saturday the 7th at 2pm GMT!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Jay Rust posted:

Post ur favourite 2022 game music!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6R3ouGNcACQ
Elden Ring Main Theme

It's insane how good this is, this is the loving music you get on the opening goddamn menu of the game! :stwoon:

But also!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aurVMQf0Dkc
Pentiment - Rüdeger singing

:hmmyes:

But also also!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxHYzLrDgdA
Pentiment - Ein Traum: Lingua Ignota

Goddamn.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Jan 2, 2023

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Rarity posted:

If Pentiment wins hopefully rope kid will show to accept his award personally :pray:

If? :mad:

Naturally I'm assuming that Elden Ring will be miraculously struck by a bolt of lightning and killed seconds before the announcement of the winners!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Those poor boat dudes just want to tootle about on their boats and this rear end in a top hat keeps coming along and loving their poo poo up.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Rarity posted:

Woke up this morning and the sky looks a little brighter, the birds are singing a little louder, the world seems a little sweeter. Feels like it's GOTY day :getin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtCHdZ-yFok

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Rarity, please, my family.....

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

All I pray for is that my #1 pick doesn't get beaten by Disco Elysium for the third time. I like Disco Elysium too, but COME ON!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Also I see 3 of the games on my Top 10 have already been listed in the lower rankings, proving that everybody else is wrong and I am right!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Those graphics rule :3:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Hell yeah, I just wrapped up a playthrough of RE2:Remake and it was great, wish I'd played it earlier!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

sirtommygunn posted:

It's difficult for a game to have staying power when it's impossible to discuss drat near anything about it without major spoilers. Honestly surprised it ranked at all. It's extremely good though and goons should play it.

It's not on Steam, is it a console game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Nice