Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Rarity rules!!!!!

e: veeg also 4 art

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
God I fuckin love Jerusalem’s writing. Always have done

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Wario Land II is an amazing game. There is a platformer called Pizza Tower coming out early 2023 which is hugely Wario Land-inspired and looks sick

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
DQXI was also my first Dragon Quest. I played it this year. Expect it to rank very high on my list.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
God help me I actually agree with that. Never thought the FFXIV expansions should have been listed separately.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah it’s a very good list super well-written and that Elden Ring bit about remembering otherwise potentially dull locations because of the enemies there is so spot-on

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Stux posted:

borizon snoridden mess

I hope one day you find all the happiness in life, Stux :)

I only have one more game to complete before I make my list but it’s Pentiment and it’s unbelievably great so I will be giving it lots of attention first

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Endorph posted:

why is lazy praise protected but lazy criticism isnt.

I would argue that the answer is right there in the sentence.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Endorph posted:

this thread isnt really the place for this convo so ill make another post about this in the feedback thread

Do you really care that much about this to take it to another thread? Just be nice. It’s so easy.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Lisztless posted:

And that’s why Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice is the best game of 2022.

Well, ain’t nobody topping this. What a list!!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This is gonna be my weirdest list ever. In 2022 I branched out in my gaming tastes more than ever before, playing (and loving) my first ever JRPG, a classic PlayStation franchise I had mostly ignored, and the most calming piece of media I’ve ever consumed. Thanks to Game Pass, I checked out so many games I never would have otherwise - I didn’t finish a whole lot of them, but I gave them a shot! And of course I also smoked many of 2022’s big releases, most of which I found hugely satisfying. Here are the 25 games I played enough of for me to consider worth ranking:

Part 1: Didn’t Finish Or Disliked

25. A Memoir Blue
I’m a big fan of your narrative games, your walking simulators, alla that. But this…..this ain’t a video game, and it should never have been released as a video game.

24. As Dusk Falls
Really interesting story that under normal circumstances I would have completed, but the “animation” style was incredibly ugly and really off-putting and I had too much other stuff on the go at the time.

23. Guardians of the Galaxy
Really good writing! I think. I can’t tell because one line starts and you move 10 metres and it cuts off that conversation for a new conversation, so unless you literally stand still and listen to everything you will miss a lot. And the combat was not my style at all. Got to this monster boss in like chapter 4 which was not difficult at all but still managed to take forever and be super annoying and never looked back.

22. Death’s Door
Really cool and pretty, just not my style really. I played a little Tunic earlier today and of the two that’s the one I’m more likely to continue with, but I’m still unsure.

21. Forza Horizon 5
I’m not a racing guy but this was my “I got an OLED and an Xbox, let’s see how pretty video games can get!” game. Turns out, real real REAL fuckin pretty. Game is clearly very fun aside from that, too. If I were a racing guy I would have sunk many hours into this.

20. Tales from the Borderlands
I played this one for VideoGames and streamed myself doing the first four of five acts. I was having a cool time! Then depression hit and I never got round to the last one. After a few months I realised that the writing and characters hadn’t stuck with me like they do for so many, and I don’t think I’ll ever go back. Amazing voice acting, though.

19. Immortality
Not digging this one stung, man. The concept is phenomenal, the amount of detail that’s gone into the visuals of each era is incredible, the performances are amazing, and the mystery is fascinating. I got a good few hours in and uncovered a ton of clips, but I just……didn’t feel anything. I was just pressing buttons and watching stuff and not feeling anything about any of it. I think I need a little guidance with something like this, and it was just too opaque.

Part 2: Not The Top 10

18. Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes
BEFORE YOU KILL ME, I had watched a friend play through the PSX version a couple years ago, so I had already seen that telling of the story. The gameplay in this one is more dated than I expected given how many of 2’s elements it added in, but I enjoy the nonsense anime tone a lot more than many.

17. Stray
Well worth the time I spent playing it, but would have worn out its welcome if it had gone on much longer. Mostly a good-not-great adventure/puzzler, but the cat of it all is just excellent and loveable as hell.

16. Metro Exodus: Sam’s Story
This was the first thing I played this year, as I just ran out of time in 2021. It’s a very good piece of DLC and great companion to the main game. Sam is the best.

15. Inscryption
Never thought I’d be into any kind of card game, but the concept and visual style of this one convinced me to give it a chance, and I liked it a lot! Great mechanics and a fascinating story. The middle section wasn’t for me but luckily it’s easy to cheese, and the final section was fantastic again.

14. The Last of Us Part 1
The 2022 remake, just to be super duper clear. One of the best games ever gets even better, with unbelievably gorgeous graphics and a whole host of cool new options. The motion/facial capture in this game is easily the best there has ever been in the whole medium, adding another layer of emotion to scenes that were already as hard-hitting as it gets. But it being a remake of a game I’ve played multiple times before I couldn’t put it any higher than this.

13. Splatoon 3
I hate that this is so low. Splatoon is by far the most I have ever been into a multiplayer game, and I was so excited for this for months. And the game is great! It’s everything I wanted with the series’ best single-player mode yet, an improved Salmon Run, and mostly the same wonderfully fun and satisfying PVP modes. But man……the connection issues fuckin killed me. They were so consistently bad all the time, I couldn’t get through even three matches without a drop, and eventually I just gave up. I’ve heard it’s only marginally better now, so even the new catalogue hasn’t convinced me to give it a shot. Hopefully I can get back into it in a big way in 2023.

12. Horizon Forbidden West
I really thought this would crack the top 10 at least, fuckin hell. A game of two halves for me - I thought the story, characters, and locations were even better than in the first game, but the combat, activities, and sheer Map Gaminess of it all is significantly worse. Every robot spends 85% of its time running directly towards you AND the rolling I-frames are less effective than before, which together were horribly frustrating. But the story was consistently excellent, with a strong central character arc and a wealth of side characters I grew very attached to, as well as at least two or three of my favourite scenes of the year in any piece of media. However, I’m still very much looking forward to the DLC and will gobble it up like a little piggy day one oink oink oink

11. Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
Honestly this and 10th place are essentially interchangable, I only left this off the list because 10 is a 2022 game and I wanted it to have the extra point. It is so obvious why this is considered the best MGS game and one of the all-time greats, it is absurdly satisfying on every single level, has incredible gameplay that mostly still holds up, the story and characters are probably Kojima’s best to date…..it is very much “the complete package”. Only reason it isn’t as much of a personal fave for me: I’m not all that into spy movies! So a lot of the pastiches and references and just core concept didn’t do as much for me as they do for a great many others. Still a well-deserved classic. Kojima the GOAT

Part The Top 10: The Top 10!

10. Kirby and the Forgotten Land

Kirby is the best!!! Nintendo’s little blob boy has been A Perfect Character for years but I never really liked any of the games with his name on it before except for Dream Course. I was sold on his first proper 3D adventure from the first announcement - it looked just like a cross between Marios Odyssey and 3D World, both of which I adore. And then the final game, was.......well, it was almost exactly that! And it RULED.

This game is one of the best examples ever of “kiddy” not meaning bad - it’s pretty simple, even on Wild Mode, but the levels, enemies, and powers are all so well-designed and fun that it gets by on sheer joy. Kirby can swallow a car! Kirby can become a tornado or a drill or a dragon! As VideoGames no doubt had hours of fun discovering, Kirby can shoot dogs to death! With a gun! It’s a vintage Nintendo experience that constantly left me with a smile on my face and I would like a sequel very much please.

09. PowerWash Simulator

No, this is not a joke. No, I haven’t made some egregious typo. In a year where I was frequently feeling a storm of emotions, this was my oasis. So many times I planned to play this while catching up on music or podcasts, only to spend hours listening to the sound of the spray hitting various surfaces. I’ve never been interested in any of these simulation games before, yet I did every single thing in this one and could have done twice the amount had it been there. It burrowed right into the pleasure centre of my brain and it did not leave, and I would play it for such long periods that people on discord who could see my status would message me concerned.

The core gameplay is, of course, pointing your power washer at various muddy surfaces and moving it around until the dirt is gone, with various nozzles and soapy accompaniments. This core loop of just cleaning a thing is so, so satisfying, and the ding sound effect when a particular area is done is like Pavlov’s whistle to me. But what makes it an actual really good game as opposed to just a satisfying experience is two-handed - the level of care that was put into every detail (perhaps enforced by unexpected publisher Square Enix?) ensured it never had the jank one would expect from something like this, while the sense of humour, weird cast of characters (who you only interact with via text message), and bizarre unfolding story gives it a genuinely strong, if excessively silly, narrative backbone. Only beaten in pure dopamine levels by the next game on this list….

08. Vampire Survivors

The day my Steam Deck shipped, I told the PS Goon Discord and received a message from Cowman, who asked for my Steam ID so he could gift me this. I’d never heard of it, but I was still very grateful, and I said sure! When the Deck arrived, I still hadn’t bothered to look into what the game was, but decided it would only be polite to give it a shot. Little did I know the pit I was about to fall into: much like with PowerWash, I did not stop playing this game until I had done Every Single God Damned Thing, and even then I kept on doing runs for fun. It’s just that good.

A lot of words have been typed about developer Luca Galante’s background in slot machine graphics, and how he has successfully translated this skill into eye-catching visuals that remain satisfying the tenth, hundredth, or fifty thousandth time, but none of those words can truly explain how god damned good it feels to level up, to unlock a chest, to destroy entire screens of enemies with just a slight movement. This really deserves every bit of success it’s had, and I was so so happy to be able to pass it on by gifting it to VideoGames after he bought his Deck. Plus there was just some DLC released???? For less than £1.50???? jesus loving christ. Forget Game Pass, THIS is the best deal in gaming. I’m having to force myself to finish writing this list before I even start the new content, that’s how addictive this game is.

07. Outer Wilds: Echoes of the Eye

The original Outer Wilds is full-stop one of the best games there has ever been, an enigmatic brain-twisting time-loop masterpiece with such sheer ambition it was a mystery how Mobius Digital would be able to follow it up at all, let alone risk messing with the perfect fabric by adding more content. But my lord if they didn’t absolutely nail it. Echoes of the Eye is a perfect piece of DLC, an incredible accompaniment to the main game that introduces even more mind-blowing worlds and mechanics while also expanding on and deepening the original story.

The nature of Outer Wilds is such that the less I say the better, but from the puzzling, easily-missable route you take to discovering the new area, right through to the closing moments, it remains as transfixing and absorbing as the original game. When it finished, I cried, and then I finished the original game again with the new information I had, and I cried even more. Were it not for one of the game’s core mechanics being extremely frustrating to me - even with an option they added later to make it less annoying - this would be in my top 5 no doubt. But the fact remains that even with this mechanic (which, maybe I was downplaying it before - I really hate it) it manages to be a soaring success on par with the original game. Now have they fixed the current-gen version yet or what

06. Psychonauts 2

Tim Schafer’s sequel to the 2005 cult classic - a fantastic platformer revolving around the training of psychic secret agents who enter peoples’ subconscious - was a long time coming and fraught with many difficulties. I wouldn’t have blamed anyone for assuming it would never come out. Luckily, thanks to Schafer’s persistence and Microsoft’s deep pockets, it finally made it onto our devices last year, and it could not have been any better. It’s not just a vastly improved sequel on every level, but one of the all-time best game developer’s greatest projects yet, easily standing alongside classics like Grim Fandango and Day of the Tentacle as a hilarious, thoughtful, and wildly fun adventure.

Every scene and level of this game is so full of brilliant imagination, fantastic writing, and gorgeous designs. The main levels - all set inside peoples minds, showing you their greatest loves, fears, and regrets - are funnier than ever while also being a very strong depiction of mental health in a great many cases (the team worked closely with mental health advocates Take This during production), and the overworld is a blast to explore, full of hidden secrets and cute quirks. The story is a little over-complicated, but also a great look into responsibility and empathy for others with standout scenes for all of the surprisingly huge cast. While the platforming in the first game was somewhat janky even for 2005, this one is an absolute joy to play, with your various psychic abilities more fun than ever. This was one of the very first games I played this year, and even so many months later I remain stunned at what a massive success it turned out to be.

05. Pentiment

This came out of actual nowhere for me, I’d never heard of it before release and now every goon is talking about it??? How come??? OH it’s because it’s Josh loving Sawyer, director of New Vegas (still in the pantheon of impossibly well-written video games) and extremely cool goon guy, giving us a narrative adventure with branching paths and detailed characters. Yeah that sounds good. Ok I’m playing it. Oh wow this is good. Oh poo poo these twists! I feel really connected to this town. Now I’m crying. And I’m crying again. Ok now it’s over and I’m loving SOBBING holy poo poo.

The best and most powerful 16th century Bavarian village tale I have personally ever played, Pentiment is a stunning achievement in storytelling, and an incredible mediation on the power of community, the weight of history, the lunacy of piousness, the love of family, the joy of sharing a meal with friends, and the ability to pet cats and dogs equally. I was skeptical about the art in still images but in motion it’s gorgeous, with animations that are beautifully evocative in their simplicity and some absolutely incredible composition. And while there is a player character who you shape and feel connected to, one of the game’s biggest successes is that the town and the web of connections between everyone feels so much more important than any one particular person.

The final act of this game is in many ways a huge gamble, but one that pays off in spades, leading to one of the most satisfying conclusions in any piece of media in 2022 (and that’s saying something, given some of the shows that ended this year), and one that left me a complete emotional wreck. The few bugs I ran into (it probably needed another couple months in the oven - I wonder if Microsoft were pressuring them for the November release) were nowhere near enough to affect my enjoyment in any way. If you like narrative games or just narratives in general, you owe it to yourself to play this. Now can someone please give our boy a gigantic budget to make whatever he wants???

04. Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty

There’s a scene in this game - well, who are we kidding, it’s Kojima, it’s a series of scenes - where my jaw was absolutely on the floor. I watched, aghast, amazed, as a video game from 2001, through the medium of evil AI pretending to be my boss and girlfriend, accurately laid out the next two decades of disinformation, echo chambers, cult of personality, and division in politics, the media, and online. My brain, which had already become some sort of jelly from all the OTHER nonsense I’d encountered up until then, simply melted and became a puddle of goo on the floor. It’s still there. Every time I want to use it I have to put my ear to the floor. It’s pretty awkward.

While I do agree that Snake Eater is an improvement in many ways, this is my favourite Metal Gear Solid game, both for the sheer wealth of ideas and the absolute bugfuck insanity that emanates from every pore. Even more than Death Stranding - the first Kojima game I ever got into, and my favourite game I played in 2019 - this is gaming’s #1 auteur at his most prescient, his most insane, his most intense, and his most nakedly emotional. There’s also a vampire who can walk on water, and, uhhh, some fairly (by which I mean literally) incestuous revelations! I don’t know that any game has ever walked such a tonal tightrope, and the fact that it works as well as it does even 20% of the time, let alone for nearly all of it, is pure magic.

Don’t you also play video games though?? Well this game even today plays absolutely beautifully, feeling light years ahead of the first one instead of just one console generation away, with a wealth of satisfying mechanics and weapons. But honestly it could play like total poo poo and it would still be this high. The ideas Kojima presents, and the surreal, post-modern way in which they are presented, made such a huge impression on me that I don’t think I’ll ever forget. I am so, so happy I finally managed to play this.

03. Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age

I wasn’t a JRPG person and now because of Dragon Quest 11 I am. I’m midway through a playthrough of Persona 5 Royal, I have many 2D Final Fantasy games/Chrono Trigger ready to go on the Deck, and Final Fantasy 16 is going to be the first main series title I buy. After I tried FF7 OG post-remake and had a horrible time I truly thought I would never be into turn-based combat, but then I watched a video by some guy called Tim Rogers that convinced me to pick this one up on sale and now an entire world has opened up to me. All because of this game. This magical, stupendous, big loving warm hug of a game.

There’s a million reasons why this is the perfect game for getting people into old-school-style JRPGs. Primarily for me, the auto-battle is extremely detailed, to the point where I feel like the devs actually intend you to have it on for most of the open areas and dungeons, and there’s like 50 other great QoL upgrades that make exploring, upgrading, crafting, and just living in this world a breeze. This freed me up to focus on the stuff I really loved - namely, these characters! Your party are all fantastic, and the focus on spending time with them, chatting with them, and their individual arcs, is so satisfying. Even outside of the main group, there’s a plethora of weird and wonderful buds around the world, all of whom are loveable in their own way. The designs - known to so many for so long, but all new to me - are best-in-show, with every ridiculous monster having bags of personality. It all comes together to create a world that is, tonally, one of the nicest and most warmly charismatic places I’ve ever spent time in.

Dragon Quest 11 opened up so many doors for me by being so heartfelt, so genuine, so mother loving delightful that I simply have no choice but to see what other experiences I can have in this genre. And those who know me will tell you - that’s the biggest compliment I could have possibly given it.

02. God of War Ragnarok

I’m a huge fan of all kinds of video games, but there’s something about a AAA blockbuster project coming in and nailing everything that hits different to anything else. For many people, the 2018 God of War reboot, featuring genocidal Greek baddy-boy Kratos bearded and child-rearing, was exactly this, but I wasn’t quite as into it. But for the sequel - and conclusion to the Norse saga - Santa Monica Studios went bigger and better in every way, creating a spectacular apocalyptic rollercoaster of a game that in my mind improves on every single thing about the first and is perhaps the most satisfying big-budget Hollywood-epic-style game I have ever played.

Where God of War 2018 had an effective small-scale story with strong character work, this one has a HUGE realm-spanning world-ending tyrant-hunting story, but one that still nails the character arcs at nearly every turn, building upon its predecessor’s foundation and treating us to a wild amount of satisfying twists and conclusions to the stories of Kratos, Atreus, and the collection of loveable freaks that make up their found family. While I found the gameplay a little bit too weighty before, in this I found the characters to be a dream to control, and pulling off your various attacks and maneuvers felt more satisfying than ever before. And from a craft perspective, it’s just loving phenomenal - every polygon of every model, every tiny piece of SFX, every note of every track of the GOAT-level score, every line or minor grunt from the superb voice actors, and every subtle piece of animation have been pored over with such love and care, and it all results in one of the most impressive video game presentations there has ever been, elevating the storytelling wonderfully.

It’s definitely not perfect - a lot of the second act revolves around my least favourite kind of character conflict, and one major supporting character’s arc is severely truncated, resulting in their climactic moments not hitting as hard as they should - but this game nails so, so many of the big and little things, and I was in tears for so much of the climax. There’s a moment during the epic finale where we take a breather from the battle and there is a scene between Kratos and Atreus that brings the former’s arc over the past two games full circle in such a perfect way that I was a total wreck, and that’s only the beginning of several incredible, pitch-perfect character moments. This is the peak of large-scale blockbuster gaming, and I’ll be there day one for whatever this team makes next.

01. Elden Ring

Sometimes I think about what would have happened if lockdown hadn’t bored me into trying Bloodborne for the third time, kicking off my personal videogaming October Revolution and giving me first one, then two, and now three of my top five games of all time. Given my various personality defects, it’s likely I would have spent a lot of time being vaguely annoyed that a game in a style I wasn’t into was taking up so much discussion space. Despite him being a completely fictional version of me who only exists in hypotheticals, I feel very sorry for this Esco. Because the Fromsoft cult were right, they have always been right, and they always will be right - these games are as good as this medium gets. They are pure Video Gaming, melted down into its most satisfying form, and Elden Ring is the biggest, most ambitious, and most groundbreaking yet, upending the sandbox even more than Breath of the Wild (hey, another of my top 5 games!) and receiving more accolades in ten months than most of the all-time best games get in ten years. All deserved.

If you’re reading this, you know what Soulslikes are. Third-person action RPGs with a focus on customisable builds and a level of challenge that encourages patience and thoughtful play while avoiding straying into the realm of pure cruelty (for the most part). This was the first of From’s games in the genre they created in six long years - although they did put out the impeccable character action-focused Sekiro in between - and it was a return that didn’t put a foot wrong. From the moment you finish the tutorial and open the doors into Limgrave, the mystery and challenges of every corner of this world call out to you, begging you to explore every crevice and rewarding exploration in a way no open world game ever has. And the rewards are incredible - unbelievable bosses that will test your skills while awing you with their designs, weapons for any possible playstyle, spells to bring all sorts of heck down on your enemies, spirit summons to sic on them, and a whole mess of funny little helmets and such. But the biggest reward was always just discovering new areas, getting a new map marker and being gobsmacked at how much bigger it seemed to get LITERALLY AT LEAST SIX TIMES, seeing what new locations and tests lurked around every corner. And that’s before I even get into the more typical dungeons, which are up there with the best areas of any Souls game, especially the intricate Stormveil Castle and elaborate Volcano Manor.

From’s games have always had esoteric storylines, and this is no exception, but the lore in this game is so much more pronounced and interesting than ever before. The mixture of a backstory from old-timey-sea-captain-lookin-rear end George R. R. Martin and the present-day narrative from Soulskirobornering director Hidetaka Miyazaki creates a world that, even more so than the other From games, feels packed full of history at every turn. The bosses you’re fighting aren’t just mooks - they’re tragic heroes, deformed monstrosities, monarchs of fallen kingdoms, warriors who love their pet donkeys. The history of each area and its rulers seeps into the others, deepening your connection to the world and causing the Lands Between to feel even more like a real place than From’s already best-in-class locations - Yharnam, Ashina, or even Drangleic.

As you may have noted at the beginning, this was also the first Fromsoft game I got on release, and oh boy did that add a whole extra layer of enjoyment. This is easily one of the best games ever to have been in on the ground floor for, with the ability to share secrets with your friends and team up against seemingly insurmountable foes creating a real sense of community. As another goon stated, I went south where many of my friends went north, and being able to share that there was an entire area they had missed because the game was pointing them in the opposite direction, and then seeing their reactions to it, was such a satisfying feeling. Teaming up with friends and going toe-to-toe with some of the biggest baddies remains my favourite co-op in any franchise. And the sheer wealth of secrets - check behind this bush, look down this cliff face, use this spell in front of this statue - ensured that the whole time we were playing we never ran out of stuff to tell each other. Between me and the various people playing this game at launch I was talking to, on here and otherwise, we must have shared hundreds of tips and tricks, and it added even more joy and surprise to the experience.

Elden Ring drove me out of my mind. I played this game probably 15-16 hours a day for over a week and a half, wringing every bit of content out of it and then spending several more hours being summoned before I even took so much as a break. It was my entire life for that period, but there is no better game for the task of becoming your life for a while. Elden Ring is a masterpiece on every level - perfect gameplay, astonishing designs, soaring music, incredible locations, captivating secrets, joyous co-operation, exhilarating challenge. It is a medium-changing instant classic from the best developers in the business that succeeds beyond anyone’s wildest dreams in every single way. And it’s not even their best game!!!!!

https://twitter.com/bownsgamepics/status/1498836553283645445

Thank you for reading this! Here’s the simple version of the full list for Rarity and veeg:

10. Kirby and the Forgotten Land
09. PowerWash Simulator
08. Vampire Survivors
07. Outer Wilds: Echoes of the Eye
06. Psychonauts 2
05. Pentiment
04. Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
03. Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age
02. God of War Ragnarok
01. Elden Ring

Escobarbarian fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Dec 17, 2022

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Thank you all. It really means so much. And yes Sylvando is perfect he is so kind and cheerful and took an already fantastic game to another level

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What the gently caress NORCO sounds amazing and you gave the best possible reference points to ensure I play it as soon as humanly possible

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I’m always happy to be told when something is inaccurate. Thanks for the correction, I’ll go back and edit now

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That and Citizen Sleeper are the two games this year that sounds like exactly my sort of thing but went completely unnoticed by me. Thankfully they’re both on Game Pass :allears:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I got subtweeted so hard my head is still spinning

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
oh my god everything that’s happening in this thread currently is perfect

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

An Actual Princess posted:

secret room found.

HOLY loving poo poo :perfect:

Metis, what did you play Sable on? The only reason I haven’t started it yet is because I understand they still haven’t fixed the performance issues on console.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
They’re called Pokémon LegendsArceus and ScarletViolet right

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’ma buy those bag of milk games. I love milk (that’s unrelated to why I would buy them though)

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My “games I played in 2023” note is already five games long

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Regy Rusty posted:

Frankly this early listing simply stinks of cowardice

I had to make time to finish all the TV and movies I wanna watch!!!!!!!!!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Wow a fantastic list BP! I loved reading it :)

Also Rarity before you ask I’m gonna guess that 10th place is just meant to be a vote for Returnal as a whole

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Elden Ring is an incredible masterpiece (I started it again today on the Deck and all my 2023 gaming plans have flown completely out the window) but I definitely do not want every new Fromsoft game to be like Elden Ring. If it can be like this where they do it once in a while as the culmination of multiple smaller games worth of learning and fine-tuning mechanics that would be perfect to me.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Fantastic list, fridge. Your passion shines through so much. And the veeg compass joke got me :eyepop:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Anno posted:

I don't have anything meaningful to say about these games, really, but I wanted to submit my list because I think it was a very good year in gaming.

1. Elden Ring
2. Tactics Ogre: Reborn
3. Dwarf Fortress
4. Citizen Sleeper
5. Pentiment
6. Victoria 3
7. Total War: Warhammer III (but only because Immortal Empires exists, which requires games 1 and 2, so...)
8. Dorfromantik
9. Norco
10. Tunic

Great list! Definitely edit your post to add just a small amount about each game to make sure it gets counted :)

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Reading why people like the games they like is what makes this thread great to me. Lists would be fine, but they don’t tell me anything about you other than that you like these ten games. Actually getting into the details and seeing what people loved about the games they played this year is where all the joy comes from. I read every single one of these lists and I have never regretted it.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
All your lists are so good but everyone who posts them going 1-10 is absolutely a sick freak

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Aipsh posted:

Loved reading your list @videogames, it was clear you played some really good games and then unfortunately completely lost your mind. Rip the Veeg we knew I hope they have a psx at broadmoor

Can’t stop giggling at this tbh

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The lightning dodges moment veeg talks about in his list was one of the best moments of his stream all year. Absolute king poo poo. He can’t keep getting away with this. Jerusalem you should drop by sometime

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Rarity, what a list! drat!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Will Rarity get to Demon’s Souls in 2023??? I sure hope so

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Game of the Year Thread 2022: Some drat fine Toilet Opinions there

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Thank you so much to all the goons who posted a list. It is so good to be reminded of what a dedicated and passionate community this is, and I loved reading everyone’s thoughts. Got a lot of exciting stuff to play now.

And of course thank you so much to Rarity for running this every year.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

in my opinion according to science ...i suspect a lot of people voted this year.

What do you think will win

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

sirtommygunn posted:

I'm almost certain it's going to be
1. Elden Ring
2. Vampire Survivors
3. Pentiment
4. Xenoblade 3

Not sure beyond that.

I think NORCO and Citizen Sleeper are gonna be really high up. Will be playing them both this month sometime hooray

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Rarity: For the Players

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It’s funny because I’ve been trying to play a turn-based game and that’s essentially given me depression with how boring I find that style so I guess it does go both ways

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Feels Villeneuve posted:

if turn based combat gives you a clinical depressive disorder, that seems like, a you problem

It’s a joke based on this person saying Bloodborne gave them depression. Really I just don’t like it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

biceps crimes posted:

hate when good threads turn lovely

Da Stux Effect