Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Extremely good OP but I have to point out the December banner is almost unreadable on the default/light mode forum style

I'll have to think about my games and make sure my post measures up to this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

A Sometimes Food posted:

Link to the 2020 one?

This, I think?

I'm not a statistics person, but I think it shows which users had the most strongly correlated votes. Like, everyone in the lower left voted for about the same games in about the same orders, and the people in the upper right all had very different lists

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
thope kid

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

fridge corn posted:

This thread is a bigger deal than Geoff Keighley Presents: The Geoff Keighley Game Awards brought to you by Geoff Keighley

Rename this forum to Avignon and make VG the Dorito Antipope

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
7. The Last of Us: Part 2

I hesitated to put this on the list, because I still believe that the first game doesn't really need a followup, and it’s also hard to say that I enjoyed playing it. But I have to acknowledge that it’s probably the most successful attempt gaming has yet made to move beyond thinly justified power fantasies and really examine in depth the red-in-tooth-and-claw worlds it loves to present as an appealing way to kill a few hours. And that despite claiming not to want or enjoy it I never once felt like I should put it down and walk away. Shortly after finishing it, I posted that it felt like I was playing as the cycle of violence and I don't think I can come up with anything better. I’ll never touch it again but I’m glad I did once.

6. Horizon: Forbidden West

The other Sony AAAA extravaganza of this year was also mostly a home run (I wrote these in reverse order, oops). I had some misgivings about the direction the story went, but the hunting of robot dinos is still a blast and the post-apocalyptic vistas are better than ever. Horizon 1 was surprisingly good for the studio’s first attempt at an open-world RPG; Horizon 2 is proof that it wasn’t a fluke.

5. Chorus

There are so few good arcade space shooters that when a halfway decent one appears it’s already notable; fortunately Chorus is more than halfway decent. Its gameplay is a bizarre fusion of pew-pew lasers and straight-up magic, which lets it short-circuit a lot of the less fun patterns dogfighting games can get stuck in, most notably through the “nothing personal” button that breaks you out of endlessly circling targets. The capital ship battles are thrilling, as you dive around and through superstructures to take out critical systems. While the story is more than a little overwrought, it’s a fun dynamic between hardass Nara, her cynical depressive inner monologue, and the bloodthirsty psychopath spaceship she’s paired with.

4. Signalis

This game came completely out of left field but it’s wholly enthralling from the instant it launches. Only a previously unknown team of two designers with little experience could create this fever dream of a game that feels equally at home in 2022 and 1999. The influences that it wears on its sleeves shine through in the best possible way- you can encounter a printed copy of The King in Yellow- while its warts-and-all throwback ethos sometimes leads it to paint itself into corners it would be better off avoiding. But it’s unique in today’s landscape and not to be missed. Just don’t try to figure out what’s actually going on in its story, because that way lies madness.

3. God of War: Ragnarok

Put simply, God of War: Ragnarok is the God of War 2 to God of War’s God of War. The decision to de-emphasize technological evolution and use roughly the same engine, toolchain, and target platform as its 2018 predecessor let the team deliver a vastly greater scope and depth than before. More realms! More kinds of enemies! More bosses! More characters and story threads! More kinds of gear! More crafting and resource gathering! More match cuts and cinematic flourishes! The wider story in particular robs the game of the perfect two-hander focus that the previous one maintained, the increased importance of gear and crafting is perhaps a little wrongheaded, and more than a few beats fall by the wayside or don’t land as effectively as they could have, but the big moments for the core relationships land and land hard and the action-game foundation is nearly perfect. This is AAAA popcorn gaming done as well as anyone in the business can.

2. Hardspace Shipbreaker

I didn’t put this game here just because it’s a brilliant and focused realization of a simple yet beautiful idea, or because it’s a great portrayal of hard-sci-fi realistic zero-gravity activity. Nor did I put it here because the basic, repetitive process of spaceship scrapping is remarkably relaxing and provides a wonderful feeling of mastery as you advance from fearfully poking at the engines of small scouts to confidently carving reactors and fuel tanks out of bulk carriers and cruisers, although all of these things are why I placed it so highly. I put it here because surrounding those things is a context that feels capital-I Important today. The game’s world is both very bleak and very plausible; you are a wage slave whose rights have been eclipsed and nullified by the system you were sucked into and are now trapped in a dangerous occupation with no recourse. How you live in this reality and how you find and regain the power capital is pretending is theirs is a story that needs to be told in this modern world.

1. Elden Ring

Is it possible to have too much of a good thing? Can one of the best and most polished house styles in the industry ever outstay its welcome? From has somehow made a game so vast that knowing that an overwhelming amount of discoveries remain to be made is its primary attraction for the majority of its astonishingly long runtime. It’s the first game I’ve ever played with anti-nav points- the built-in guidance is warning you that in this direction is something less than totally free exploration. In this respect, it’s a bit lesser than its clear inspiration Breath of the Wild, which places no restrictions on your activity whatsoever. And it also explains why the luster starts to rub off near the end, when you finally start hitting the boundaries of the world and run out of alternatives to tackling the dungeons and bosses (and lose your ability to outlevel them). But it remains such a staggering project that game design and game playing will never be the same in its wake.

Honorable mention: Destiny 2: The Witch Queen

Another year of wallowing in this horrible game and loving every minute of it.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Dec 21, 2022

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Jerusalem posted:

Earlier today at the Relax Or DIE studios....

https://i.imgur.com/TiRjivM.mp4

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Escobarbarian posted:

Metis, what did you play Sable on? The only reason I haven’t started it yet is because I understand they still haven’t fixed the performance issues on console.

I'm not Metis but on PS5 it's a bit glitchy. Pretty often my character and nav wheel disappear when traveling long distances and don't reappear until I get off the bike. The fishing minigame also barely work and locks up the game half the time. Performance is OK, I don't think it's sticking to 30 but there's also no combat or danger so I don't mind it much

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Some good rear end lists posted recently

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The chance to go through the much more appealing looking door at ground level

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Needs pictures (of gunplas)

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
My 2023 GOTY list will require an RTX 4080 and 16GB of RAM

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
How about you have to do at least one of write and post a relevant gif

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I think that’s “straight man” in the comedy sense of “person upon whom the joke is played”

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Cannot scroll down until you click a hall of fame image

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Kerrzhe posted:

what is the next game by that studio??

Haven. The name of the studio is The Game Bakers

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
When I read your #1 I'm done reading your post so make sure it's at the end

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
How does an elden ring randomizer even work? There's no order in which you're supposed to do things and almost nothing you're locked out of with prerequisites

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Elden Ring is amazingly accessible because it has a safety release valve, and that is "go somewhere else". It's not really possible to get permanently stuck on something, because there is no gate that you have pass or box you have to tick to get to the rest of the game. You can give up, walk in the other direction from whatever keeps killing you, and find something else brand new that will exercise a different set of skills or be more susceptible to your build and maybe give you an easier time. If nothing else, you can find a huge field full of basic enemies that you can kill to level up, and unlike most other games it's a brand new field you've never seen before so it doesn't feel like a boring grind. Maybe you'll eventually make your way back to what you were stuck on, and then you'll be a higher level and more experienced and kill it. Maybe you'll never see it again and not even care because there is so much more game that you forget it ever existed. You can just wander, for dozens of hours, sometimes gently bouncing off things, sometimes piercing through and ending up somewhere you never imagined

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

hatty posted:

Sekiro is worth upwards of $60

Yeah if you are already sure you are interested in it but it at full price because it and you deserve it

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYVAK-iaeIU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Of course we all know the real winner here

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I have no idea what its name is but I love the track that plays in Violet’s sidequests

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I was all set to add Neon White to my 2023 GOTY list until it ate my save most of the way through the campaign :/

Maybe give it another try in a few months

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
goty time :neckbeard:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Rarity posted:

HEY, DEEZ NUTS!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I remember being extremely hype for Deathloop but I wasn't in a position to play it at launch and it cooled off very hard and very fast so when I was I never made the effort

The stories about getting most of the way through the run and then getting ganked by an expert Juliana also made me want to stay away but I imagine that's less of an issue now

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Pull quotes are the best and the real reason everyone is required to write an explanation of their games

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Escobarbarian posted:

Wow that was a lil lower than I expected! We really getting into the big hitters now.

Yeah I feel like it was in every other list for a while

Guess I have to finish out the Decline of America Trilogy (after KR0 and NITW)

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Sekiro is not my favorite fromsoft but it is absolutely hands down the best fighting

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
cyberjunk

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Neon White ate my 75% complete save and I was real mad about it at the time but I already feel the desire to restart it building. I want to tear rear end across heaven like a goddamn meteor and then hang out with my annoying weeb friends again

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Epic High Five posted:

I bounced hard off it but my buddy said it's actually fun if you make yourself invincible so you don't have to engage with the combat so I'm going to try that when I give it another shot

I agree with this, the combat is extremely demanding and retrying bosses quickly gets not fun but fortunately the game lets you shove it out of the way so you can concentrate on the good stuff

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
:ohdear:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Busp rear end

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Rad Dad Redemption

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I tried Vampire Survivors and the 10 minute runs feel better than 30 so it actually gets worse the more I play it and I'll probably stop now

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Harrow posted:

How is Vampire Survivors on mobile? It seems like a great handheld title but it's not on Switch and I don't have a Steam Deck.

This is where I'm playing it and it's fine. The only control is one analog stick so it's not exactly being held back by the touchscreen

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

imagining this vocalist belting out "triangle strategy" now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYBqejIeBlQ

I'm still in a triangle, strategy eater

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/PsiHypo/status/1403406303792406533

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yeah it's a game where if you have any desire at all for that kind of thing you'll play it and if you play it there's so much of it and so much variety that you'll find a build that appeals to you and a couple of really memorable situations or scenarios and then it's a lock for your goty list