Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Hmm, I also finished DQ11 this year. Loved it, but I played a lot of games I loved this year...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

as the saying goes: if you can swallow it, you can poop it

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

this thread is really making me want to play Xenoblade 3

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Another top 10 with DQ11!

:yeshaha:

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

I would probably have never checked out Signalis if not for this thread since very few things make me lose interest faster than the phrase "indie horror game".
Anyway, I just tried it out since its free if you forgot to turn off your Humble Bundle subscription and this is incredible so far, the sound design and the vibe of this game is just :kiss:

Thought my top10 was set, but this is a serious contender folks

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Zaggitz posted:

Most insane game I watched my wife play that Everyone needs to know about : Harvestella

I know most of you won't be convinced but. Look, I know but.

Seriously.

Look. If this doesn't make you at least a little interested then you can just go on with your sad, boring life.

ok, I think I might need to play this

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Making Watchdogs your goty for tyol 2022, is incredibly powerful. Gotta respect it.

:patriot:

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Together we can make the dream possible: Dragon quest XI in the top 10!

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

What a year it's been! One for the history books! What a season, what a season!

Things might be even more poo poo than usual out there in the real world, but by golly, there sure were a lot of great game this year!

2022 Games that I did not play but probably will enjoy: Kirby Forgotten Something, Bayernetta 3, the newest Godofwar, sonic frontiers? and probably a bunch more.

First a special award to 2023's game of 2022: Xenoblade 3! I just started this and I'm about 10 hrs in and it's great.

Now for the games that I played that did not make the list:

Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak. This one was pretty good. The Homeworld vibes are real nice.
Aoe 4: completed the campaigns. Don't think I'll ever go back to it, but who knows.
Hitman 1,2,3: These are great! I haven't really looked at Hitman since Bloody Money, but I played trough all three via the Trilogy edition they released. Good stuff.
Doom Eternal DLC. Eh, I had to force myself trough this. I don't really like the direction they headed in with Eternal, and this is definitely further along that axis.
Yakuza 6: Finally admitted to myself that I'll probably never play the PS3 games and went to this one before starting on 7. Good game.
Persona Strikers: I really enjoyed the road trip vibes. the dynasty warriors style combat not so much.
Medal of Honor Airborne: I like this game. less than I did, but I admire how much it didn't try to be CoD.
13 Sentinels. People love this game, but to me it was more good than great. too many words.When it's good it's real good.
Dark Souls 1,2,3. I did all 3 this year. However, I cheated both the games and myself. That is to say I cheated my way trough em. Dark Souls 1 is my favourite.
Bravely Second. Finally got around to closing out this one. I liked it more as I went along, but I still prefer the first one.
Resi Village: the one with the tall vampire lady. Good stuff. I enjoyed the little twist at the end, they actually did address that thing everyone kept pointing out since 7.
SWTOR. That's right, the old MMO. I played trough the campaigns, and it was pretty good actually.
3 Houses Fire emblem. Finally got around to this as well, but I played most of it in 2019 or 2020.
Tactics Ogre Rebirth. Still early days on this one. Put it down due to:
WoW Dragonflight. Yup, they actually released a good expansion pack this time.

10. Final Fantasy XIV: Endwalker.

Ah, yes. Endwalker. The infamous winner of last years GOTY. Despite all the clicking trough tiny text boxes and running back forth between two quest givers for no real reason, this game still dug its claws into me just like the previous expansions did, perhaps even more so. The ending is incredible and as always the music is so wonderful and emotionally evocative. There are some songs in this one that are truly beautiful. Venat/ Hydaelyn giving you one last test before sending you on you way while "Flow" played and the walk to the final boss as your friends get taken away are two moments among many in Endwalker that will stay with me for a long time.

09. Yakuza: Like a Dragon

It’s about family, and that's what's so powerful about it. Ichiban is wonderful. The story is as wild as ever, the new cast is great, but the game drags on for too long and the combat gets a bit tedious after a while. Exploring Virtual Japan with my crew of misfits was a lot of fun and I do look forward to the next game in the series.

08. Bloodborne

Bloodborne. I did it. I finished it. I mean, I get it now. It still looks so good, I mean holey moley look at those enviroments! It still plays like a dream/nightmare. This was the first Souls game I finished, and being very bad at games, it truly felt like an accomplishment. I used the axe. Probably the best Souls game overall.

07. Return to Monkey Island.

It's in the title. After years (how many did you say?) we finally return, hoping to feel that joyful sense of exploration and wonder we did back when you typed commands into Dos prompts to start your games. Return is an incredible achievement in terms of both giving the people what they think they want and creating an seemingly personal passion project for the developers. It’s all summarized far better that I ever could in a little letter you get at the very end of the game, so if you ever loved Monkey Island, I highly recommend checking this one out. The ending is one of those that will stick with me for a long time. Oh, and it’s a real good point n click adventure game too.

06. Horizon: Forbidden West.

My favourite megabudget technical showcase of the year. Seeing this on a 4K TV with HDR is simply incredible, the detail and care put into literally every piece leaf and grass in the environment is astonishing. The story and gameplay is good too. I somehow did not get sick of knocking robot parts off mechanical dinos, even after some 70 hours. Most of the common criticisms are entirely valid though. It is bloated and repetitive. Aloy’s inner monologue telling you to do every little thing can be real annoying and the very clear sequel hook at the end of what I felt should be the end of the Aloy's story, did not fill me with much anticipation ( I’ll probably play both the DLC and the next game though). But, all in all, I really liked this game. Checklist gaming at its finest.

05. Persona 5 Royal

Finally got around to this one. I actually finished this one in early January, so it’s mostly a last year game. I still prefer the crew and setting from Persona 4, but this might be the second best game in the series for me. My personal favourite moment was after I wiped on the end boss and I felt completely done for the day, I started climbing that huge staircase and then this started playing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWNG17wkr_c
And when I reached the top I was so psyched up I crushed that boss. More games should have disco inspired soundtracks imo.

04. Dragon Quest XI

I actually ended up completing four DQ games and playing dozens of hours in 3 more this year. I think this one might be my favourite, although the DS releases of IV,V and VI are really strong contenders too. It’s a turn based RPG that has stoically refused to change fundamentally since the late 80s, and sometimes, that is exactly what I want and need. Like most people, I got covid this year and this was the game I played during the week or so my brain felt like mush. I guess that sounds like a dig at the simplicity of the game, but there's something wonderfully straightforward about DQ games.

03. 𝔭𝔢𝔫𝔱𝔦𝔪𝔢𝔫𝔱

What a lovely game. As all good murder mysteries, it's not really about the murder mystery, it's about the people. Very few games recently has had me violently press the "Tell me more" button harder than this game, I fell in love with this charming little village and its inhabitants (well, maybe not the miller). I don't really have anything meaningful to add to the conversation about this game other than to say that I loved this game. There are so many amazing moments, but its best to experience for yourself and maybe your game will be completely different. Both the saddest and most heartwarming game of the year.

02. Elden Ring

Ah, yes, Elden Ring. The first of these I played near its release, and it consumed me like the Scarlet Rot for a good 100 hours. In the past I have gotten bored or frustrated when playing Soulslikes and put them down, only to return later and feeling completly lost then giving up on them for good. This did not happen this time, perhaps I was caught up in the Zeitgeist or perhaps it was the open world structure that easily let me fly away on my spectral pony/goat/thing to new exiting adventures whenever I hit some barrier. I loved this beautiful, weird game.

01. Triangle Strategy.

There are certain games that are just better on a portable system. The one foremost in my mind, is the Tactics genre. Turn based tactical combat with level up mechanics just work so nice with a system you can take with you anywhere and put away just as easily. TriStrat is a game made by people who really love the genre, and it shows. While it certainly has many of the tropes of the genre, it executes them with finesse and originality. The game play feels fast and engaging, with every unit feeling unique. The story is captivating, with distinct characters that really grew on me trough the game. The graphics are great, a clear step up from previous game in the same style. The music is fantastic.
Folks, it's the best game of the year in a very strong year for games. Please clap.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Phantasium posted:

5. Rygar: The Legendary Adventure
https://i.imgur.com/XBYQh8E.mp4
Geryon Hill, Aristotle, Diskarmor

I first played this when it originally came out, so this is one of the rare repeats I allowed, because Rygar continues to be sick as hell. This is going to sound stupid, but the third weapon you get in Bayonetta 3 is this cool weapon that reminded a lot of people of, like, Bridget from Guilty Gear, but my brain immediately went to Rygar and the Diskarmor, and that’s all it took for me to replay this game, apparently.

It’s funny how I recall Rygar being harder than it actually is, and then I remembered that back in the day I didn’t block or guard in pretty much any game until the PS360 era. With that habit destroyed for this replay, the game ends up being a pretty breezy and beautiful experience that isn’t quite to the level of character action, but isn’t simple enough to be directly compared to its roots. It really feels like a missing link between Onimusha and the first God of War. But it’s also a game where you throw the shield out, knock an enemy into the air, and then grab them out of it and slam them into the ground, before grabbing one of their friends and swinging them around you and into the group of enemies to the side. All while a fantastic orchestral track plays.

:bisonyes:

PS2 Rygar is what people refer to these days as a "Hidden Gem"

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

If Rarity counts Dragon Quest XI and Dragon Quest XI S: Definitive Edition as separate games I will personally cancel GOTY and drive the thread right back to Winnipeg

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

exquisite tea posted:

5. THIS WAY MADNESS LIES
https://i.imgur.com/v34cR2B.mp4

This Way Madness Lies is a turn-based retro JRPG where you play as a group of magical girls that also moonlight as a Shakespearean acting troupe. If you don't already know whether or not this game is for you based on that description alone, then there's very little else I can say. The kind of light, breezy, yet surprisingly inventive gameplay I've come to expect from Zeboyd, who have quickly emerged as one of my favorite indie developers of the last five years. So unabashedly corny at every turn that it wraps all the way back around to being endearing. Haven't seen it mentioned on a list yet, but a strong recommend from me.

This looks real neat. It was fairly cheap on Steam so I picked it up.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

I had a sneak peek at the numbers and the top 3 are:

3. Xenoblade 3
2. Pentiment
1. Triangle Strategy

congratulations to the winners.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

putting a bottle of champagne on ice to celebrate when DQ11 makes the top10

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

I hate to admit it, but Bloodborne is good

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

I just remembered someone put Watchdogs as their no.1 goty. Now I need to go back and see where it landed on the list.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

I demand a recount of the Triangle Strategy votes!

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

fridge corn posted:

Try finger....

only 2020s kids will remember

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Elden Ring. Pretty good game.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

exquisite tea posted:

I'll forever remember 2022 as the year that watch_dogs (2013) was ranked #1.

It's up there in the Great Moments in GOTY Thread history along with "Someone puts Cyberpunk as their #1 game before it's out"

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Regy Rusty posted:

drat my voting buddy is spot on, almost all of the games on bone emulator's list that weren't on mine were ones I've already played and loved in previous years. Only Return to Monkey Island is one I haven't (cause I've never played any of the Monkey Island games).

you have great taste

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

I can't believe the dude from icewind Dale 2 posted itt