Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

Feels Villeneuve posted:

OP would it be possible this year, to get a list of games that only one voter put on their list, or does that not work well with your tabulation method

You just need to use the excel array function =lmaogamingloser{}

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

VideoGames posted:

This is a positive thread.

This post is not:

Do not post like this.

I'll be ready for my probe! To be fair it's not going to be net negative

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

Started yet another new game during the hallowed GOTY thread period. I’m assuming I’m going to like return to monkey island tho

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

Loved reading your list @videogames, it was clear you played some really good games and then unfortunately completely lost your mind. Rip the Veeg we knew I hope they have a psx at broadmoor

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

Well I'm in a bit of a rush so I won't say too much about anything - but here's my list:

I've tried to go through every game I've played this year so I'll start with some dis/honourable mentions before I get to the Top 10. I am sort of astonished at exactly how many hours I've poured into gaming but....it rules

The games I didn't really get on with:
Guardians of the Galaxy

Really not particularly enjoyable. The combat became stale after an hour or so, and the dialogue grating. There's a lot of jank I was happy to look past, excited to see where the story went. Unfortunately that was nowhere in particular.
Prey

Heard so many good things about this, but very quickly the Bioshock DNA became apparent and I was intrinsically repulsed.
FFVII remake

I tried it. I gave it a solid go. I played for three hours. It just confirmed all the unutterable prejudices I have against this entire series. Why do I hate Final Fantasy? I can't really say. But you can't accuse me of not trying!
Dead by Daylight
How does anyone like this game? It is SO DULL
Stellaris
The lack of a proper story or post-win condition epilogue couldn't get me through an entire game of this. To me this is too much micro-management for no reward.
Walking Dead season 3
I would like to play as Clem, not some rent-a-bloke with his even worse brother.
Devil May Cry 5
Devil May Cry 4 was one of my favourite games ever. I don't know why this is so different, but the level design doesn't help. V is also abjectly awful to play as, and the series is suffering from tremendous combat bloat.
Man of Medan
Just really nothing to say about this. A poor setting and plot, with no decent acting (apart from the guy who played Iceman, who I got immediately killed when the cat knocked the controller out of my hand).
Little Horrors
similar to the above, but with an even worse, almost offensive plot.
Persona 5
I think the combat is fine, but I simply do not have the patience to sit through so much dialogue and slice-of-life mundanity.

THPS 1+2
Shiny new graphics can't really hide how outdated the movement is. I sunk so many hours into these as a kid but couldn’t get back into it.

The dishonourable mentions:
The Forgotten City

I know this is a Goon favourite, but honestly the ridiculous ending soured the entire game for me. It was also far more compact - and not the better for it - than I had expected.
Ghost Runner

I played it for a grand total of 15 minutes. I couldn't get over how terrible and floaty the controls were.
Jedi Fallen Order
I didn't play it this year, sorry; but it deserves at least another 5 years in the shame box. A game that stole everything good about Dark Souls, Metroidvania, Sekiro and Zelda, and expertly ruined each aspect. Dreadful thrashing noodle animations - zero heft to the combat. I understand lightsabers are made of light, but I do not want each combat encounter to feel as if I'm a spider having a nightmare on a piece of paper. Poor characters and puzzles bereft of imagination, fun or necessity. T-posing enemies rollerskating out of the same cave and falling straight off a cliff. Not even the pain of paying £60 could force me to finish it
13 Sentiles: Aegis Rim
I bought this on the recommendation of Goons, and quickly realised I would be embarrassed to play this in front of anybody. The gameplay itself, either the Milf School mode or mech mode, just had no enjoyable aspects.

Games I haven’t finished but liked:

Chorvs
Very decent shooting action, but got very samey before I unlocked some of the magic psychic powers. Will go back to it eventually
Signalis

I very much want to get back to this, but Ragnarok got in the way. Huge fan of the Lovecraftian, German, psychic communist horror vibes.
Heavenly bodies
Well it's more like a party co-op game so I can't ever imagine finishing this, but the time I've had has been hilarious.

Tunic
I don't seem to love this as much as others on this forum do, but it is enjoyable and there is a definite pleasure in discovery. However, it's really, undeservedly hard and gently caress everytime they hide the critical path behind scenery when you can't change the camera angle.

It Takes Two

Due to timing and laziness it's taken us well over a year to even get near the end. This game is far longer than I ever expected but holy moly is it imaginative. A real achievement. It's difficult to imagine this came from the same people as murder-thon "A Way Out", which is also an extremely good couch co-op buy.
Deliver us the Moon
A nice and pleasant (well, apart from the fascism) walking sim. Again, more exciting games distracted me.

Soma

Was loving this: not exactly scary like I thought it would be, but the story and mystery had its hooks in and the voice acting was fantastic. I only stopped because it dropped from the Extra game catalogue lol
Observer System Redux
Similar to Soma in a lot of ways. A gorgeous, filthy game with an incredible atmosphere. The first mindhack section however was so stressful I decided to put it away until I was in a more receptive mood.

Walking Dead Series 4
played the whole series with my partner this year as it's not too different from watching TV. I wouldn't say any of them are outstanding but they're solid dialogue roulette games.

Celeste
hardcore, delightful, brutal gaming but probably a bit too platformy for me, and I think I've grown out of the genre. I think it's a must play for floating platform enjoyers.

Outer Wilds
A real achievement. But I never finished it because I got stuck on some puzzle and Veeg had just got to the same point so I watched him play it instead - while he was in floods of tears of course. I don't think I really missed anything by watching it, but that's not to denigrate the game.

Dishonoured 2
Solid action shooting...whatever. Didn't care about the plot at all but enjoyed the freedom and self-imposed challenge of no killing. I did stop when I accidentally killed some major NPC and couldn't get a recent save before it.

Return of the Obra Dinn
I absolutely smashed through most of this game in a single day, completely enthralled. Life and work got in the way, and when I booted it up two weeks later I had forgotten literally everything. Will probably do a fresh playthrough over christmas.
Vampire Hunters
Played this for six hours and have vowed never to touch it again for my own mental health. Absolutely dangerous to have installed. Do not buy, do not play - not even once.

Games I finished and liked - The Honourable Mentions: I'll add more text to these later.
The Quarry

Telling Lies

Rollerdrome

The Walking Dead Series 1/2

The Devil in me

Donut County

Blasphemous

House of Ashes

RESI 8

Hitman 3

Cyberpunk 2077
The Excavation of Hob’s Barrow

The Last of us: Factions: It doesn't really feel fair putting this in the top ten again given that I've played consistently since last year, but it's still fantastic. It's weighty and grim, but playing without a group can be hit or miss as this ancient game is still rife with people who'll abuse glitches, lag-switches, or modded controllers; or are just generally incredibly rude try-hards. But it really rewards both careful thought and strategy, and running around like you're in a COD lobby. It is one of the more difficult multiplayer games to pick up, but getting to that point where you're able to get more than two eliminations in a game gives an almost unrivalled sense of achievement.
It can also be very funny.

2023 GOTY contenders:
Cult of the Lamb--

Very much enjoying this, nice and cute but I would really like some more depth to either side of the game
Return to Monkey Island
 --
Honestly was a little disappointed with this at first - it’s been way too easy so far, however I’ve just got to a bit where the game opens up a lot more and it’s much more promising. I’m hoping for something like (but not as bad) as the rubber chicken bully puzzle

Binding of Isaac
--
Barely played it so far, but I have several years worth of content to go through apparently.

Pentement--
I’m only forty minutes in!

The Top Ten

10: Tetris Effect
A stunningly beautiful game. I don't know how I can splurge about this game without repeating every other review. Hallucinogenic flow-like zen states, the feeling of letting go and allowing your instincts to do all the work, the mesmerising music. I had never thought Tetris could be anything more than a way to pass time waiting at the doctor but this was like stepping into the swirling void of pure cause and effect. I love it - but it's also incredibly hard. That said, when you find yourself making plays before you literally even thought of them you realise the pleasure in pure kinesthetic process. There are a few additions to this - notably 'The Zone' that put some strategy and thought back into Tetris, and the co-op boss battles are a really stressful but rewarding touch. Please play it!

9: Returnal
The only reason I am putting this so high up the list is because it was already my number 2 last year and I want other games to have a fair shot. Phenomenal. Masterclass of combat. Wonderful disturbing story. I kept playing the Tower of Sisyphus after I was done just so I could beat Veeg's score, and then I kept playing. You are quite literally required to play this if you have a PS5.

8: OlliOlli World
Again, another game of pure clicky clacky physical satisfaction. They sounds and stickyness of the board connecting to a grind rail - the gigantic jumps, the ability to switch between five tricks in a single second. Just pure flow. Initially I thought either this game was a lot easier than I had heard, or I just had the right kind of gaming experience that I clicked with it instantly. I was hitting the special objectives and three tiers of high scores for each level on my first or second go.

And then I got to the fourth biome. Game just lifted me up and air choke-slammed me onto a grind-able alien carcass. It did, in fact, break me. This is one game where I really want the platinum but I genuinely don't think I can do it. But in a dark souls-esque way, finally figuring out and then executing the perfect (and I mean, literally perfect) line to get past the high score for the later levels is off the charts catharsis. Some levels left my mouth dry from effort and concentration, panting like a dog trying to figure out the exact number and timing of tricks to maximise my multiplier, while keeping just enough speed to launch at the exact right time to clear an enormous jump. There's also a nice array of customisables, a multiplayer score attack and some (kind of pointless) randomly generated track options.

I really love this game, it just feels so good when you're nailing it.

7: Ace Combat 7
Stupid and ridiculous and unyielding in how loving cool it is. The controls (only pick expert controls - you literally can't finish the final mission with easy controls!) are great, the stunts you can pull off - which would turn any real pilot into sludge, are thrilling, and it's also tough as nails. Once it clicks, you can do things you didn't think were remotely possible. Each mission is more of a puzzle box than a pure combat arena and it's the imagination in mission design that really makes this game stand out. The story is...well silly, but just serious enough to bring one of the most dramatic levels in a game home. Anyone who has played this game knows exactly what this is.

Most of all this game is pure fun.

6: Sifu
A lot of people had high hopes for this and honestly I think it met them on nearly every count. Perhaps it could have more levels, and it could have had made more of an effort in building you up to the technical skills for the final boss. But nevertheless it is one of the cleanest, most responsive controls schemes I've seen in any game. A lot of triple A games would kill to have a combat system as varied and tehcnically polished as this. Another game that I was happy to go for the platinum in.

5: Overwatch 2
Honestly I am compelled to apologise for putting this in here. Because of Blizzard of course. But I cannot ignore how well designed this game is. If you haven't played it and read online about it, it's nothing but gushes of vile effluvium - everybody who has 6000 hours in this loathes this game more than their own lives. But they still play it. When it goes well, it's unbeatable as any multiplayer game. How they've managed to create a game with 20+ completely (in most cases) distinct characters that isn't a total broken steaming mess from the get go is a real achievement in all video games. It's fast, responsive, tight, rewards good gameplay and also rewards those without great FPS skills with support characters. Yes, some of the balance for support went out the window with 2, but I'm sure they'll get there again...I hope.
The change to 5v5 was a gigantic QOL increase, which while so simple, almost makes it an entirely new game. I love this mess and I wish some other nice company just bought it off blizzard.

4: Inscryption
Let me say, and some will argue - the first act is much stronger than the other two. I would've preferred it the entire game was within the confines of the cabin, but it is so strong it deserves a spot on the top ten for that alone.

3: Slay the Spire

Another Card game!

I played a little bit of Marvel Snap a few days ago and that made me realise I do not like card games. I like *intrigued voice* asymmetric deckbuilding games. On both PS5 and iOS I think I've got almost as much time in this as my No.1. It can be so so difficult and frustrating, but I have managed to beat ascension 0 with each character. It's horribly addictive, as fast paced as you want it to be, and can be played for a quick ten minutes or a life ruining 8 hours at a time. While it looks on the first go a little too basic, it soon balloons into an incalculable number of variables, such that you almost always have a of winning, if you can just use your imagination. Because of that I fail a lot, but I love it when a winning deck just jumps out at me.

2: God of War: Ragnarok
I found it difficult finding a place on this list for this game. But I had to consider how much I wanted to keep playing it and the fact that it got better as it went on. This is quadruple A gaming, with a mostly fantastic score and ludicrously opulent production values that do some heavy lifting - but the core combat and story are the heart of the game and they still work. I don’t think this game had the same impact as GoW 18 but it was more, and it was mostly better. 

It’s also clear this is two sequels stuffed into one, which I think was a better choice despite the shortcomings that go with it. I would’ve been irritated to play a mid-way, low stakes sequel, just to wait for a third that would inevitably be shorter and most probably warn out of it’s welcome.

It’s fun, it’s got heart, it has less fetch quest rubbish than the first and a genuinely good story and ending. Made me shed a tear, and made me risk going away on MS teams just to keep playing. This is why, far from the best game I’ve ever played, it still gets such a high spot on this list.

And finally....

1: Elden Ring

I have, as should be no surprise, placed Elden Ring in the No.1 Spot.

I have strapped this vote with two ruptured tears. As soon as I hit post and it comes into proximity with Veeg’s No.1 vote for Final Fantasy X, it will explode, annihilating both votes. I feel this is entirely fair and nobody could argue with it.

There is no game that has met the hype I, against my better judgement, built up in my mind, ever. Not even Majora's Mask or Half-life 2 met it. I regret playing the network test, because I wish I could've gone in totally blind. I wish I could spotless mind my memory and play it all from the very beginning.
Big Dark Souls. Dark souls 2 II. FromSoft did it again. Made possibly the best game of all time, again. This game is so good that every complaint I have is tinged with the sort of love you'd have for a naughty dog. This game obliterated February, and then again in March when I immediately created a new game after finishing it the first time. I don't think there's anything in the past ten years that's of this level of craftmanship. I love not having a clue what's going on in the story and being given months of enjoyment piecing it together. This game delivered and then some. A true greatest of all time contender.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

Three 7th Guest posts and the top game is something I’ve literally never heard of? Have to love it

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

Rarity posted:

You'd have heard of it if you'd been reading every list :colbert:

After receiving tremendous psychological damage reading Veeg’s top ten I have had to only view morsels of the thread at any one time.
Please someone post an asymmetrical deck building game to bring me back to reality

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

It’s not really turned based when it’s an asymmetrical deck builder I’ll tell you for what

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

drat wish I played Neon white before doing my top ten :eng99:

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

THIS WILL BE LEISURE SUIT LARRY’S YEAR

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

I have a portrait orientated phone that can show me one or even one and a half posts at any time. All I need for that sweet Elden Ring recognition

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

I HAVE AN EXCLUSE THREAD LEAK

Too late ack

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

Olliolli world 12 points hell yeah more people gotta play it.

Lol at OOT Randomizer getting more than several votes

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

sirtommygunn posted:

7 of my top 10 dead already :negative:

They can’t take your top tens away from you

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

I can’t even remember five of the games I had in the top ten

Olliolliworld - dead
Ace combat 7 - presumably dead
Elden ring - glorious king
GoW raggers - deffo not dead
Slay the spire - didn’t see it, presumably dead
Uhhh

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

Rarity posted:

The top 30 is all killer no filler for sure

Wait till you see No. 29 - Filling Mama

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

VideoGames posted:

Sekirowns.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

Regy Rusty posted:

Wow so they really fixed it huh?

No

But it's good enough

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

drinkin wine and watching a huge (so far) lack of FF this is where it is folks

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

The top ten was the games we trashed along the way

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

VideoGames posted:

I am going to play FFXIV in 2025 I think. Every friday evening will be FFFriday. :hai:

2025 is the year the RSPCA will get an anonymous tip off coincidentally

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

VideoGames posted:

Oh man!

At least this is not higher for you, Aipsh. You must be happy about that :)

I am…satisfied

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

Regy Rusty posted:

Horizon beat God of War :eyepop:

Good

:wtc:

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

https://youtu.be/XC4QrLYcgaY

HERE WE GO

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

fromsoft are the best developers on the planet and you were all wrong to doubt them even before you’d ever heard of them

:darksouls:

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

I doubt enough people will play Armoured core this year to make it no. 1 but it will be, in my heart. Even though I’ve never played an ‘armoured’ core

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

FINAL FANTASY IS DEAD. ITS DEAD FOREVER. ARMOURED CORE FOR 2023

PROBE ME IN MY ECSTACY

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)