Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
goaty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
I always enjoy the lists – I read every post in these threads – but I know not all of you are about reading. You’re about gaming! So this year I thought I’d provide an option for those of you who may wish to engage with a top ten in the most gamer fashion: blasting demons. If you’d like to instead play my goty list in Doom 2, here you go: https://github.com/RelaxOD/doomwads/blob/main/gotyrod.wad

I’ve tested it with gzdoom and if you have issues I don’t know how to fix them and likely would forget to do so.

If you would prefer to just read like normal rather than playing someone’s attempt to learn doom mapping over an afternoon, here’s the normal list.

Honorable Mentions
Live a Live – This is a great remaster and I think along with the SaGa remasters and various smaller indie titles is hopefully pushing back against the perception that a JRPG ‘should’ be a dozens-of-hours-long epic.
Haunting Ground – I really liked this one. I think Hewie sort of represents an interesting friction you see games really trying because it’s ‘wrong’ to have part of your toolkit be at least somewhat unpredictable in responsiveness.
Monster Hunter Rise: Sunbreak – I still love Rise and Sunbreak is more Rise, so it’s good. It’s also pretty backloaded on its new stuff and I think it’s a little sparse in the overall amount of added monsters.
Powerwash Simulator – One of the chillest times you can have.
Walkabout Minigolf VR – One of the strongest cases for VR I’ve encounter this is just a straight up nice time to play. Plus there is a course based on the Labyrinth and I can go wave my putter at Hoggle. Also it turns out golf balls are inherently desirable objects and I’m compelled to find them all.
TMNT: Shredder’s Revenge – This is a great beat em up but I haven’t decided if it surpasses Turtles in Time yet, or if my nostalgia for the latter is too great for it to ever do so.
Pokemon Scarlet – A nice time and probably the strongest Pokemon in a while but still pretty flawed, both in expected-from-Pokemon ways and new ones.
Triangle Strategy – A very good SRPG and pretty replayable, for my taste it’s kept from greatness by not having quite the amount of toys to play with as something like FFT.
Kathy Rain – This game is pretty charming but didn’t quite stick with me as strongly as some other adventure games I played this year.
Slice and Dice – This has become my phone game of choice and it’s so packed with unlocks and alternate modes I don’t see that changing soon.

10: Brutal Orchestra

I like the whole vibe of this game. The art and music are good, and it’s occasionally even kind of funny. What I like most about it though is that I’m complete rear end at it. This game is laser targeted at the exact ways I’m likely to make a mistake. It does a great job of running the ‘this seems like a bit much → oh I see → got this solved’ curve. It’s entered my rotation of regular roguelites for the foreseeable future.

9: The Excavation of Hob’s Barrow

Folk horror is a lot of fun, and I appreciate that this game approaches it with a real slow burn. It’s very well paced as both a horror story and an adventure game. It speaks to a great degree of confidence that the large part of the game is getting to know the village and it’s people. The best praise I can give a game like this is that it feels like it could have been released either now or in the golden era of adventure games.

8: Kuon

I’m glad I finally got around to playing this. It’s unfortunate that this game was so rare prior to emulation because it’s really good – I think it stands up with the best of survival horror from this era. It’s hard to pin down a specific thing because there are so many little details and small choices that come together to make it feel unique. To focus on a small one: You save points being rivers you send a small paper boat down is an incredibly good choice. Functionally this isn’t really different from a save point in RE or Silent Hill but they just feel better blended with the overall world and little bodies of water being your sanctuary juxtapose well against the supernatural corruption occurring in the story.

7: Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin

I love Final Fantasy and Nioh so by extension I love this dumbass game. In spite of it being bloated with loot that takes forever to matter and being just actually ugly and hard to look at in a few places I had a great time with it. This game feels like a remaster of something released to appeal to the Xbox 360 market, but the designers just couldn’t make themselves make a game bland enough for that to work. With the class system and gear there is a lot of options to play with, though it’s a shame that so much of it is really only meaningful late-to-post game. The notable exception is making sure Jack always has a fedora on like a real gamer.

6: Half-Life: Alyx

In previous lists I’ve mentioned that I was heavily raised on Half-Life and it’s various mods. Despite their best efforts the games remain very dear to me. Getting a new, real game in this setting is a delight on its own and getting to play through it in full-length VR is a treat. I’m fairly neutral on VR as a whole – I don’t think a lot of what is available is compelling outside of the initial ‘oh that’s neat’ factor – but this is an exception. I was ready for a Half-Life skinned VR ‘experience’ but this is just a high quality, full-fledged for real Half-Life game. I hope that this game implies that Valve intends to actually try and put out a game now and then because I would hate to be done playing Half-Life games.

5: Norco

Norco is a great adventure game on its own merits but the thing that really grabbed me – and stuck with me well after I finished it – was the authenticity of how modern rural/small town life is depicted. I’ve not spent much time in the region shown but I have spent a lot of time in rural areas not too far away and the people and places just feel right. The way the sci-fi stuff has worked its way in around the more normal modern stuff is completely believable, a near-future that knows about driving past small bunches of old homes with satellite dishes attached.

Norco also understands how often organizations/movements can be powered by sheer dweebery.

4: Signalis

I’m a complete mark for the safe room-item box-limited inventory style of the classic Resident Evil games. The loop of exploration, resupply, organize is like catnip to me. Signalis nailing it while also being beautiful and very confident in its storytelling decisions is tailor-made to appeal to me. If I had to choose one thing I really enjoy it’s the use of radio throughout the game. To me, at least, radio is an inherently haunting medium and I feel that it’s leveraged strongly here. I rarely both to seek out interpretations of a game, especially just after it launches, but it was pretty fun to do with this one.

3: Xenoblade Chronicles 3

Xenoblade 3 feels like the final project all the previous Xenoblade games were rough drafts of. I like the entire series but none of them come together as well at this one does. The combat system feels less bloated while still retaining the series trend of maximalism and the job system is just more fun to engage with than the teambuilding systems present in the older games. The story and characters seem to just be overall stronger too, avoiding the pacing pitfalls and duds to a much greater degree than the previous games.

2: Elden Ring

I didn’t really enjoy the direction of the previous two games out of From. Dark Souls 3 felt like it lacked confidence in being anything but a series of boss attack strings to memorize. Sekiro was honed to a ridiculous degree and worked much better as an overall game but didn’t land for me – I preferred more going on than the katana parry rhythm game. I was skeptical about Elden Ring leading up to its launch, waiting to see if they things I liked about the earlier From games was going to be out of focus again. The glut of options present in Souls games – the potential for playing many different builds – was always my favorite part and it’s back in full force here. The fact that it’s beautiful and a joy to poke around in is a bonus. It is essentially Dark Souls 2-2 and that’s what I’ve been wanting all along.

1: Return to Monkey Island

When I was a little kid and we got our first pc, in the time before having a pc in your home was too common, my dad brought one home. He sprung for a CD-ROM drive which came with 3 games: Loom, Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe(this game never worked,) and The Secret of Monkey Island. From there my dad and I would confer on a regular basis over dinner about puzzles and discoveries. This is, aside from the original DOOM, the only time he would ever care about a video game in a similar way to me. The next four games in the series would also connect to my relationships with family members in weird ways. I love the original game and the entire series. Yes, even Escape which I think has merits in spite of itself. So it’s impossible to untangle nostalgia from my feelings on this game and, to be honest, I don’t think it is even worth trying.

The expectations for this game were daunting. It had to bring Monkey Island back after a decade of dormancy, address hanging threads from at least one previous game, manage nostalgia from people like me, and be an entertaining adventure game in its own right. And they nailed it – it somehow balances its own history and the things it wants to say itself perfectly. It’s both fresh and pleasantly nostalgic but in way that doesn’t feel like it would be alienating to new players. Also the art style and ending are good and only my foes disagree.

I spent most of the year sure that Elden Ring would sit at the top but Return to Monkey Island made me happier than any other game this year.

May 8, 2006

FlowerRhythmREMIX posted:

My list is a little…weird and normie, this year, I had a few games I was hoping to play before I had to post the list, but a new gamer was born four weeks early on December 7th, and that ruined any chance I had to focus on finishing some games I was interested in.

welcome to our newest gamer, Sephiroth Battlepass REMIX

May 8, 2006

asking for a modicum of thought owns actually

May 8, 2006

Anno posted:

I agree!

But also this. It's not that the thought didn't go into the list, I just didn't write it out here initially. But now I have, and I think it's a fair ask in the end.

:cheers:

May 8, 2006

10-1 is just basic showmanship

May 8, 2006

glad to see Neo TWEWY getting the respect it deserves

May 8, 2006

thank you VG for officially declaring MM better than Oot and FF VIII and X better than 9. I am glad you can join those of us on the right side of history

good list overall too - I can't always catch your streams but it's fun to see things from the ones I have reflected here. you might be the most positive on the surge games of anyone I've met

May 8, 2006

the ER randomizer is so fun - i highly encourage people to give it a shot if you haven't. i also would recommend considering just doing the item randomizer, the enemy one is extremely funny but can be a real rear end in a top hat too

May 8, 2006

just as a general fyi I believe aikos choice will be free on epic starting on like the 5th? shadow tactics does indeed whip rear end so I'm looking forward to playing the expansion. if you've played ST you will probably also like desperados e, and vice versa, if anyone out there has tried one but not the other

Edit: oh wait this was said and I missed it lmao still play these games

May 8, 2006

Feels Villeneuve posted:

you cant just call everything a skill issue. that is illegal

you can't blame them, there's no way to build muscle memory for understanding criticism so souls fans are forced to fall back to get good. it's sad, really

May 8, 2006

godspeed you, Studas

May 8, 2006

cyberpunk is less 'good' and more 'of a rare but popular subgenre of rpg' so if it actually works now it's not had to see why people like it regardless of middling quality

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Remember when someone pre-awarded Cyberpunk goty in the 2020 thread before the game came out

this person owned

May 8, 2006

Anno posted:

I’ve been quoted four times and all of them are the most IGN-rear end lame as gently caress nothing box quote lmao. I need to think a bit more about what I write next year.

writing dumb lines into your post so rarity will pick it is a honored goty thread tradition

i practice in my posts all year

May 8, 2006

Rarity posted:

Shame you barely got quoted then :smith:

this is just anti-Relax or DIE bias on part of the goty stewards

May 8, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

What an adorable little murder machine. :kimchi:

he's a real iddqt

May 8, 2006

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

what if they were called spike chun li soft

no drunk posting

May 8, 2006

the numbers don't lie: horizon is better than pokemon, not just once but twice

May 8, 2006

PC is the center of gaming

May 8, 2006

given how this thread started by the next one people will be crediting josh sawyer for elden ring anyway

May 8, 2006

thank you for making up an award just to give to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

May 8, 2006

please give me a goty probe of one(1) week. thank you

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)