Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

7. Return to Monkey Island - Good adventure game. I'm not a big Monkey Island guy, but I love Ron Gilbert's stuff, and this is another great game from him.

6. Chunithm - It's an arcade rhythm game with limited release, but I found it at an arcade a month ago and played it nonstop for 90 minutes and was sad I had to leave.

5. Rogue Legacy 2 - Had a great time with this. It's a little too hard, but the progression is interesting, and there's lots of environments to explore and character types and weapons to learn. I dropped this for Vampire Survivors, but I should go back to it.

4. Elden Ring - My second From game, after Bloodborne. I enjoyed it a lot, though I didn't end up beating it. I enjoy the exploration more than the combat, so when all that was left was boss fights, I just quit playing. Might go look up a build online and some spoiler guide and give it another run through sometime. While it wasn't my favorite game this year, it totally deserves every GOTY award.

3. Escape Academy - A short game, and a little ugly, but I had a really great time with the puzzles in this one. Perfectly hits the puzzle difficulty balance. I need to grab the DLC.

2. Tinykin - Pretty bog-standard 3D collect-a-thon (Banjo-Kozooie etc), but definitely at the peak of the form. Also really good music and art direction. I was ready to give it a 2nd play through as soon as I finished it the first time.

1. Vampire Survivors - It's rare that I put more than 6 hours into a single game but this one's blown past that. I'm almost 30 hours in and I'm still having a great time. The unlock progression is perfectly tuned, still finding boatloads of new unlocks and weapon combos and evolutions and even new mechanics. And there's even more coming in DLC??? GOTY, no question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Also, hell of an OP.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Alxprit posted:

That about wraps up my 2022 list.

Some cool recs in this post I hadn't heard of. Thanks!

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Rarity posted:

1 point
Super Mario 64

Ouch, man.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Help Im Alive posted:

I am amazed Sifu only ended up at 61

Did no one play it??!

I'd like to play it, but it's not on Steam or Xbox, so nope. I guess it comes to Xbox in March, I'll give it a look then.

Speaking of which...

VideoGames posted:

48. GUILTY GEAR -STRIVE-
(Arc System Works, 2021, Down 37)
41 points, listed 6 times, #1 1 time

Very excited for this to come to Xbox soon. I got into it on PS4, but got rid of my PS4 after getting a XBSX.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Regy Rusty posted:

Ok I'll try tinykin

It's really good! My #2 this year.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Foul Fowl posted:

strive is such a sick game and it's gotten a shocking amount of people into fighting games who never thought they'd like the genre in their lives. if you want to try one game out of your comfort zone this year make it guilty gear strive. i'm aware the votes are already tallied but i'm campaigning for next year's vote already.

Yeah it's really good. I think their decision to simplify & standardize inputs really paid off. I liken it to Smash Bros, where you do basically the same inputs and get similar results regardless of character, with variance coming from things like speed and power, and a handful of special moves per character. Rather than having to memorize a bunch of unique inputs and playstyles for each character.

E: And it will be on GamePass in a few months!!

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

VideoGames posted:

28. THE GREAT ACE ATTORNEY CHRONICLES
(Capcom, 2021, Down 21)
77 points, listed 12 times, #1 2 times

Ace Attorney 7 when???

(VG: This is on my list!!)

Playing this game literally right now because of this thread.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I'm surprised Scarlet beat out Legends. I heard a lot more good about Legends than Scarlet.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

redreader posted:

I played the dragon quest demo and got to the big city, did stuff there, left, and decided it wasn't interesting. Does it get interesting after that or is it all the same? I love JRPGs but that one didn't grab me, really.

FWIW I had the same experience.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

ethanol posted:

which game won

The real winners are the games we made along the way.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

What a game. I should replay it.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Metis of the Hallway posted:

Here's the ordination this year.

post by cheetah7071

What I gathered from this is that everyone should play Neon White and/or Dwarf Fortress.

Mode 7 posted:

I wish Sifu had ranked higher but I know that it being tied to the Epic store is a complete nonstarter for a number of people. I'd hope its release on Steam this year will prompt more people to give it a shot but realistically it's been out for PS4 and 5/Xbox Series/Switch and that didn't seem to move the needle so I'm unsure how much Steam is going to help.

I don't think it's on Xbox yet. March, I think.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

That's great. I wanted to play it, but I don't have a PlayStation and lol EGS. Will definitely give it a go in March!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

TriffTshngo posted:

if i don't see live a live on some of you mf's lists this december there will be violence

I didn't like it v:)v