Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Yeah 100%. Robot fart jams are as valid as structured songs are as valid as experimental deconstruction of tape loops, but a contest (while super fun) for a voting audience that isn't just synth nerds may not be as down with the more try it and see type vibe experiments.

Do poo poo, make sounds, its all good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duck.exe
Apr 14, 2012

Nap Ghost
I agree with the above posts but we should still have exciting theme reveals in the style of
https://youtu.be/kXqY8EZ21-g

“Easter songs with acid basslines!”

“EDM Irish ditties!”

“Lofi beats with George W Bush samples!”

duck.exe fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Dec 25, 2022

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad
Now that's what I call Chopped and Screwed

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Do poo poo, make sounds, its all good.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

The Voice of Labor posted:

y'all can and will do what you want but I would advise against making things into a contest for a number of reasons.

it reinforces the bourgeois mindset of lauding the status quo. whatever is the most inoffensive pop track in 4/4 time will sweep, always. because it's what people are used to. it's catchy because you don't have to think about it or listen to it too closely.

it reinforces the bourgeois mindset of gatekeeping and division of labor. the act of putting tracks up for a vote is saying that there are a set of communal standards, art is fitting into those standards and artists are people who are best able to fit into those standards. the material correspondence is that if you've been doing this awhile and you have dumped some money into gear, your tracks are probably going to reflect that. you know tricks for polish and you have the gear needed to pull off those tricks. beginners, broke motherfuckers and outsiders (those who don't know or don't care about conventions) are going to fair worse in a public vote and those are exactly the people who should be most encouraged to make music.

all right, all right you heard the goon, no prizes. Merry Christmas you sons of many bitches!

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

(Just thought that would be sort of in the spirit of Lowtaxmas to do some kind of flailing overreaction)

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

petit choux posted:

(Just thought that would be sort of in the spirit of Lowtaxmas to do some kind of flailing overreaction)
What the holy hell do you mean by that!?!?You wanna fight?!?!

Nah, me neither. Merry cribby.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

But seriously I can readily acknowledge everything you are saying about encouraging people, and people who do things that are not merely conventional music.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Choose! Choose the form of the Destructor!

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Choose! Choose the form of the Destructor!

"A love letter to Vangelis"

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

I tried to think of the most harmless thing. something that I loved from my childhood. something that could never ever possibly destroy us. chariots of fire....

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

any last theme suggestions? the decision must be made on the 4th while the planets are still aligned

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Bach. :v:

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

any last theme suggestions? the decision must be made on the 4th while the planets are still aligned

Deus ex machina

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

How about Sherlock Holmes in celebration of it being newly public domain.

(unfortunately no audio went public domain this year for reasons I don't understand, but some silent films did)

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

the planets are aligned. the fire is raging beneath the idol of our unholy lord. the effigy of jimmy hotz is strung up and ready to be sacrificed.

the theme is sherlock holmes. I used a die to determine it

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

you have until march 7th to finish your poo poo

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Not sure if I'm happy about that or not.

Adversity spawns creativity right?

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

a helpful list

“Elementary, Dear Data” (TNG, S2E3)
“Ship in a Bottle” (TNG, S6E12)
Bonus: The USS Sherlock Holmes, “Conspiracy” (TNG, S1E25)

edit: helpful for me, anyway, get your own dang bad ideas

are two episodes plus the sheet music for the TNG music enough for a track? I'll get back to you in march. When I subtract the inaudible frequencies, and the frequencies I don't want to hear, whatever remains is my submission, no matter how improbable.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

look who loaded the dice

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

sherlock holmes posted:

I observe that there is a good deal of German music on the programme, which is rather more to my taste than Italian or French. It is introspective, and I want to introspect.

looks like a second theme snuck in

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

you know what Holmes liked?

cocaine and dope

so some screwed & chopped gabber sounds about right

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Cabbages and Kings posted:

you know what Holmes liked?

cocaine and dope

so some screwed & chopped gabber sounds about right

Hound of the Baskervilles as interpreted via my theremin, let's go

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

I like this, because I was conveniently madly downloading Bach midi files just earlier this evening.

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Jan 4, 2023

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

q: I spend 80% of my disposable income on eurorack and the remainder on weed. I make audio terrorism beeps and screeches that could, stretching the bound of charity, be called ambient music can I...

a:

https://soundcloud.com/beer-chiller/lullabies-echoed-from-the-deep

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

q: I spend 80% of my disposable income on eurorack and the remainder on weed. I make audio terrorism beeps and screeches that could, stretching the bound of charity, be called ambient music can I...

stop doxxing me

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyGAc-OLAiQ

Just gonna leave this here

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Can we preemptively award all prizes to the composer of that clip? Because dang.

It also says to me that we need to cross-promote with goon video makers to create videos of our synth noises. Do we have a VJ thread anywhere? Or an animation thread? I know there's a 3D modeling one but not sure about animation oriented groups.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

ok but what about Sherlock Holmes in Miami?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_5L5x_A824 (not a real show sadly, it's a fake show within a show)

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

is this quantized to be quarterly or is that just an approximation

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Is that in project settings? I keep forgetting.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

you, you the people of the forums, shall gather in this thread on the appointed times (solstices and equinoxes).

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

reading up on holmes' contemporary german composers led me to the tragic life of hans "these face biting leopards won't bite my face off" pfitzner. this sounds like the coolest thing that I have absolutely no interest in

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

reading up on holmes' contemporary german composers led me to the tragic life of hans "these face biting leopards won't bite my face off" pfitzner. this sounds like the coolest thing that I have absolutely no interest in

Was Scriabin a contemporary if he died in 1915?

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

sure, but he's also russian

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

sure, but he's also russian

Talk about moving the goal posts

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

so having watched a few of those holmes shows the bbc did in 1984 and having listened to some pfitzner and bruch violin music I have come to the conclusion that what holmes mostly liked was fast

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

so having watched a few of those holmes shows the bbc did in 1984 and having listened to some pfitzner and bruch violin music I have come to the conclusion that what holmes mostly liked was fast

And drugs

Here's some birds who have a nest in my chimney, I think they are mockingbirds. This is my first successful effort so far.

https://soundcloud.com/tangible_animal_6/boyds22

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Yeah, come to think of it, Holmes with his morphine and coke, I bet he'd have been raving in the 90s.