Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

for those of you who dnf'ed and for you lurker swine

1: record your noodlings
2: chop up your noodlings
3: loop and layer your noodling fragments
4: goto 3 until done

there's cheap and free software to help you with this. you can run old versions of cakewalk on a vintage ipad, a winxp machine and a usb audio interface will still totally let you crank out music. no matter your hardware situation, you can do this. no one cares how good or cool or sexy the outcome is. if you have fun doing it, or if you like what you make, that's all that matters.

who wants to be spring mc?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Hell, I've skipped steps 2 to 4, and nobody's told me to stop yet!

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

I'm hoping you'll outgrow it on your own

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

the long dark winter of our sherlock holmes has passed.

it's spring, time to pick a spring theme.

my suggestion is, in perpetuity until we have international communism, class war

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
epistemology

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

if that does end up being the theme, you're going to need to post a one page essay explaining what it is and list several examples of how it could be or has been used as a thematic basis for music

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

for this one I think I'm gonna use the rs7000. since it has no microtuning support, that means a bunch of individual samples of notes. gonna end up sounding very tracker

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

The Voice of Labor posted:

my suggestion is, in perpetuity until we have international communism, class war

It's a little lame, but my brain keeps going to "cyberpunk" as a potential theme, since it can cover a wide spread of themes within its umbrella (including class war). I will admit this may just be an excuse for me to make some really dark and angry synthwave and get that out of my system :v:

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

dark angry synthwave is germane to pretty much every theme except, like, blissful meditation. imagine a perterbator song with growly distorted vocals about the pursuit of the synthetic apriori. no one's gonna tell you that's a bad idea

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

k, hold on. spring theme master list

1: class war
2: epistemology
3: cyberpunk
4: nostalgia

The Voice of Labor fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Mar 27, 2023

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

1: class war
2: epistemology
3: cyberpunk

Honestly this sounds like someone listing the eurorack modules they've just picked up

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Honestly this sounds like someone listing the eurorack modules they've just picked up
Lol

Sweet_Joke_Nectar
Jun 7, 2007

i'm a little shai :3

Nostalgia

Could be childhood/youth, could be media from that time, whatever that means to people. I think its different than retro in the sense that nostalgia has a rose tinted sheen to it, there's a longing there that I think is unique.

Danger - Octopus! posted:

lol

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Sounds like it's time for some industrial clanks and hisses.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

I gotta pick a tuning, pick out a scale or two, make some patches and dump one shots to a 128mb SmartMedia card.

if I get really ambitious and I can find the obscure scsi cable buried in my boxes of synth and 'puter stuff, I could instead use an external compact flash drive.

nah, there's only 64 megs of ram anyway

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

neat. got a tuning picked out and a scale mostly picked out. got a pad patch patched then got distracted listening to nirvana

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

the rs7000 also has a stereo input so I think I'm going to midi it up with the prophet 12 and run the p12's outputs to the rs7000's audio ins. still gonna need a grip of computer for patch and sample creation and transfer, but it'll be nice to work on a song offline

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

I just bought Ableton Suite today, and thus have access to it for the first time in like half a decade, so I'm likely going to use this upcoming quarter as an excuse to get back up to speed with it.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

if I put on an alice donut album or a pixies album, I don't skip any tracks. I put on a nirvana album and I mostly just skip to the songs I want to hear. drat that nirvana albums rendered in super mario 64 soundfont fad for almost making me listen to bleach for the first time since highschool

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

I thoroughly enjoy the album of Nirvana covers Little Roy did
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_lOlmRYK05VmRmfmZuxB-qg9vmXmK9XO7Y

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

I don't think I've ever hit like on a youtube video that fast

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

it takes four wires to mate a synthesizer to a groove box. four loving wires. I'm not going to have the energy to do that until the weekend and I'm rapidly remembering why I gave up on hardware

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Man, if 4 wires is too much, stay away from modular.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
nostalgia

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

But motley crue didn't have a synth player.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

don't eat the member berries

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

B33rChiller posted:

Man, if 4 wires is too much, stay away from modular.

I've got most of a workable frac system (really just needs another envelope or two and some lfos and a multi) I was putting together before john blacet died. that poo poo's expensive and the value frankly is mostly in how much I enjoyed putting together blacet modules. guessing synthcube will eventually put out the modules I need or need seconds of, but I'm not really in any hurry interest wise or finance wise

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

I also have a modularized lil bits system I should probably add the last few components to

Pillow Face
Jun 22, 2004

Spreading the Nite Crew cancer one volunteer shift at a time.

i would like to join in on the fun but not 100% sure what’s happening but posting anyways

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

theme selection. suggest a theme or, I guess, endorse a theme to base your spring synthesizer pageant entry around. the last one was sherlock holmes and it worked out surprisingly well.

also, put on your mega-nerd synth druid uniform (sweatpants and a tshirt).

calendar of events is in the first post. the opening post or "op"

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

gently caress yeah. audio chain. got the prophet plugged into the groovebox and the groovebox plugged into the 'puter. data chain. got the prophet usb'ed to the computer and midi'ed to the rs7000.

the hardest part of the evening was getting the tuning to dump to the prophet. tracked down an obscure midi to sysex conversion program I already had several copies of in my "important synthesizer stuff" folder.

sample making chain's a little tedious but functional. for whatever weird reason the rs7000 won't recognize .wav files unless I save them using the archaic yamaha wave editor. functional though.

patching surge, my sound space seems to be gravitating towards gameboy/ppg fuzz

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Nice success.
I wondered if I could AM with the strega activation circuit? There's a bipolar attenuverter on the cv input. I took the triangle output through a low pass gate to hit the activation. Turns out, that works quite well.
https://soundcloud.com/sperimentaldoots/230330-0215a

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

pickin the theme on the 4th. anymore suggestions? y'all wanna vote on the theme or let fate decide?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I ended up choosing the last one so am remaining deliberately silent on the topic.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Lead on, shiver git.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

xzzy posted:

I ended up choosing the last one so am remaining deliberately silent on the topic.

holmes was fun and you ended up making a video. not real sure why you're being reticent. it's not like there was anyone who was actually going to get any music made who noped out because of the theme.

Pillow Face
Jun 22, 2004

Spreading the Nite Crew cancer one volunteer shift at a time.

spring is for mating so what about two artists or genres having a baby

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

musical genres are a generally lovely theme because then all the entries are pretty much the same. the good forums example of theme selection is the dorkroom monthly photo thing. it's never "take a photo in such-and-such style", it's a prompt not usually related to any technical aspect of the craft. the results are that you get a bunch of unique takes on the same thing.

something like "opposites attract" would be a pretty rockin' theme though

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Springtime, fresh growth and newly hatched chickies
Also: lots of freshly shed cat fur
See also: seasonal allergies / hay fever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Ugggggh, fer gently caress sakes, the clouds have migrated away from their winter home overhead, and the angry fire god in the sky is blasting down upon us once again.
Emerging from / retreating into one's synth cave?