Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

brainstorm a bunch, toss all the ideas in a hat and pick one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

or I can just put up hay fever, which could be jokingly interpreted as some kind of disco fever that nerds get

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

I don't know if this helps, but I consulted with the feedback paths, and they said this https://soundcloud.com/sperimentaldoots/patch-notes-april-1st

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

The Voice of Labor posted:

k, hold on. spring theme master list

1: class war
2: epistemology
3: cyberpunk
4: nostalgia
5: hay fever

one more and I can do it with a six sider and no rerolls.

pillowface, state your theme submission slowly and clearly for the forum recorder.

Pillow Face
Jun 22, 2004

Spreading the Nite Crew cancer one volunteer shift at a time.

one more and I can do it with a six sider and no rerolls.

pillowface, state your theme submission slowly and clearly for the forum recorder.

may day

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

loving beautiful

1: class war
2: epistemology
3: cyberpunk
4: nostalgia
5: hay fever
6: may day

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

six entries

six highly invasive himalayan blackberry seedlings

six simple synthesizers playing out a song

six times wendy carlos' beauty and the beast played backwards

six mischievous eyes housed in three mischievous squirrels and one

six sided die to determine our fate

tomorrow

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

in case I get busy playing video games or forget the spring theme is

nostalgia

submissions are due by june 7th

The Voice of Labor fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Apr 5, 2023

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

yup. feeling some real nostalgia. gonna make some sega genesis fm patches and dump them to the sampler. also maybe some guitar noises.

so thread. what was a comparatively good time in your subjective experiences that tinted your memories of the objective world as being a better place than it actually was?

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Flight of the navigator, wet puppets, and DX7 presets.

Space flight, time travel, analog practical effects, and DIGITAL sound.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

This is how synthwave was invented, isn't it?

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

close. I think synthwave came about because everyone had these access viruses and they were awful and they only made one kind of synth sound, that combichristinvaderzimsuicidecommando sorta noise, and these virus owners were just desperate to squeeze any other kind of tone from their gear so thy started trying to make them sound like gameboys

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

that combichristinvaderzimsuicidecommando sorta noise,
It's beautiful. Like poetry. Perfect description.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

1991: trompe le monde, nevermind, use your illusion (1 and 2). the annual meat puppets album was o.k., the shamen made their pink floyd album

1992: best year in music. skinny puppy last rights, roger waters amused to death, nin broken, ministry psalm 69, little earthquakes, faith no more angel dust

the uncomfortable pause though, between g'n'r being cool and nirvana being cool. that's the inspirational void I'm going to mine and I don't care how many paula abdul albums I need to skip through to do it

e: the eponymous mr. bungle album came out in 1991 as did sailing the seas of cheese

de: richard d james started coming out with records in 1991

The Voice of Labor fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Apr 11, 2023

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kmEWliqTG4

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

91 eh?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txBMrMip8io

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billboard_Year-End_Hot_100_singles_of_1991

I'd forgotten that emf existed, let alone tracked that high.

roast beef with enigma hair.

I didn't think much of him at the time, but marky mark's good vibration is real emblematic of the era. like, fm bass, dance beat, rap, house piano, vocal samples. mr. mark getting his gently caress on in black and white while the soviet union and japan's economy collapsed kinda sums things up. tail end of the last bust cycle and a lengthy clear boom cycle ahead full of neoliberal optimism

Pillow Face
Jun 22, 2004

Spreading the Nite Crew cancer one volunteer shift at a time.

my nostalgia time is 90s, which i don’t really want to do. would like to attempt making something that doesn’t evoke any specific era but still manages to sound nostalgic somehow, but everything i make ends up sounding 90s anyways so whatever

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

so thread. what was a comparatively good time in your subjective experiences that tinted your memories of the objective world as being a better place than it actually was?

I don't want to go all E/N but I was a happy kid until I got to public school and then it all went to poo poo for approximately 30 years. If anything I was a lot more pessimistic about the odds of ever being happy when I was 12 than I am now.

That said, possible influences for me here: mario 3, old school ski lodges with $2 pizza, Terminator 2: The Arcade Game and Mortal Kombat and Doom, modem connecting sounds, the Might & Magic II theme music, insanely potent LSD @ $5/tab, "jams" shorts, chicken and horse noises (we had both), thunderstorms.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Y'all forgetting the most nostalgic of ~1990 nostalgia: the invention of trackers and the mod format, using low resolution samples to craft absolute bangers.

Go look up a loop of the lemmings 2 title screen on the Amiga and try not to feel like a kid again.

Or get sunvox and find a mod file of the music and play it live.

duck.exe
Apr 14, 2012

Nap Ghost
I’m baby so I’m going to do a late-90s/early-00s R&B beat type of thing as that’s my nostalgia era. So I guess I’ll use presets/samples from the keyboard workstations of that era? I’ll have to find a pack of those… or heck, the presets on my low-end Casio might even work.

duck.exe fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Apr 11, 2023

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

I think I got a copy of every breath you take somewhere. you coud rap over it

late 90s eary 00s I remember as being a time of propellerheads rebirth. that glorious bit of software woud make magic and run on really anemic computers

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

I think I got a copy of every breath you take somewhere. you coud rap over it

I read this post sober 10 minutes ago and swear it said "a copy of every breath of fire", and I was thinking, like, cool, the soundtracks, proto dungeon core (probably??)

I had a couple rips of oil I extracted from some trim a neighbor gave me and now I can read it properly. So, that's weird. What's also weird is "every breath you take" which is a profoundly disturbing song even though I don't think the listener is bound to or expected to sympathize with the narrator. It's just a hosed up song, like, the closest I've come to being stalked was when I had a panic attack and thought that maybe this slightly nutty girl I was seeing was breaking into my place while I was out of town so I called a friend who lived up the street and he said nah, it's dark up there. But even at that, I think that song is p hosed up.

Could rap over it and make it be from the perspective of the stalked person, and rap about getting a restraining order and that doesn't work and so eventually you have to stab him in the loving throat and, well, you know, every breath he took / every death you make, kinda thing?

I'm the worst kind of white boy rapper you can imagine, I might not be as bad as the guy who posted that battle rap thread in GBS recently but it's probably close. I've never been asked not to come back to a rap battle venue mostly because I've never been to one, I suspect.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

that creepy song made two different bands a bunch of money

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKMtZm2YuBE

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

I didn't know that existed but that's already a p good inversion.

needs more stabby tho :ese:

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

this is the music making thread. you can make as many stabs as you want. you could make a song that's nothing but stabs and raps about magic cards. nostalgia. own it

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

this is the music making thread. you can make as many stabs as you want. you could make a song that's nothing but stabs and raps about magic cards. nostalgia. own it
Umm, excuse me, but I was told there are very strict rules requiring years of study to adhere properly, so that my stupid loving children's noise can be considered real music.
Doesn't matter how many people enjoy it, or the impact it has on society at large. It must conform to a specific set of rules (which, themselves, are secret knowledge, to be jealously guarded from the u worthy).

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

you can do whatever you want, but I think you might enjoy and benefit from experimenting with putting poo poo together and making grooves. 40 minutes of jams boiled down to 2 -> 7 minutes of song is satisfying.

as you have clearly demonstrated, you have no problem making music. you have the opposite problem pretty much everyone else has

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

you can do whatever you want, but I think you might enjoy and benefit from experimenting with putting poo poo together and making grooves. 40 minutes of jams boiled down to 2 -> 7 minutes of song is satisfying.

as you have clearly demonstrated, you have no problem making music. you have the opposite problem pretty much everyone else has

Sincere thanks for the kind guidance.
I was having a bit of a rant/shitpost about stereotypically narrow minded folks I've run into irl, rather than any attitudes I've experienced here. Looking forward to what folks have in mind.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

between save/load times and storage size the rs7000 disk is starting to become a deal breaker. it would be workable if I dug out my weird scsi cable so that I could use the external card reader drive, but I think I'm going back to reaper for this one.

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

I did start the synthwave track a couple days ago, but after giving it some thought, I realized that the type of nostalgia I was aiming for with that track was/is a nostalgia that I, a kid born in 1990, never actually experienced. There's probably some meta hole I could go down with that track, but I think I'm going to start fresh and go down another path that more speaks to my own nostalgia: that being the nostalgia for hot Genesis FM synthfart bangers :v:

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

well I sure as gently caress can't play Doom E1M1 on a piano, but I got the midi of the main voice going to the hydrasynth pretty fast, so we're on to something.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Something I notice missing from a lot of music these days is a noise floor. When I was a kid, a tape or record would be guaranteed to have at least some level of noise. Now, it's all so clean.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

hoping to record a first entry for myself in a week or so!

Got some Doom-based drums and synth loops, got a Morphagene reel full of Nova talking about nitrious oxide, got the fuckin Offical Music Of the 1984 Summer Games cassette in the loopman. Have a preliminary patch wired up. Just gonna get high and mix every night week of 5/1 until I feel like clicking record (next week is hosed by travel and other poo poo).

B33rChiller posted:

Something I notice missing from a lot of music these days is a noise floor. When I was a kid, a tape or record would be guaranteed to have at least some level of noise. Now, it's all so clean.

I've found that abusing QPAS will "solve" this "problem" instantly

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

still trying to decide what I want to do. I ended up scraping some ancient low bitrate samples from Lemmings 2 and in the process of setting up all the midi routing a sort of beat started to appear so I recorded a minute or so as part of the brainstorming process.

I'm really digging that kick drum. I put a bit of gain on it and it got so wonderfully boomy. Feeding the samples through a granular sample player is fun too, can get a lot more sustain out of them.

https://soundcloud.com/mrxzzy/no-judgment/s-257tAl0TWjQ

So now I'm thinking some kind of generative thumping thing in an era where "what if trent reznor loved playing lemmings and had 2023 computing power available to mess with the audio??"

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Remember that birdfeeder grandma used to have at the lake?
https://soundcloud.com/sperimentaldoots/memberbirds

Newf
Feb 14, 2006
I appreciate hacky sack on a much deeper level than you.
Hey all. I don't know anything about synthesizers or electronic music or acoustics in general, but I have a little mission and could use guidance toward communities & terminology.

My mission is to compose multi-octave tones for each note. From a piano, think C0, C1, ... C6 all playing at once. I want each octave to fade in and out over time, so that the set of audibly dominant octaves is always shifting. I'd like this continual shifting to erase the perception of "high" or "low" from the composite tone. IE, it should have an abstract C-ness to it, but not be tied to any specific C.

Currently, I'm using a bunch of web browser oscillators connected to gain nodes, and shifting the gain values according to a wonky formula. The desired effect is *kind of* emerging, but it's ruined by some ugly beat-like artifacts that come on when several of these oscillators play simultaneously (especially the higher ones).

Anyone know a reason why web browser synth producing many layered octaves would sound... not nice? EG, if I play some low Cs and high Cs together on the piano there are no ugly emergent artifacts.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Newf posted:

Anyone know a reason why web browser synth producing many layered octaves would sound... not nice? EG, if I play some low Cs and high Cs together on the piano there are no ugly emergent artifacts.

the horrible audio pathways web audio has to go through are inferior to native compiled apps for myriad reasons.

VCVrack would be a free way to approach this from a modular perspective, but, any sequenceable polyphonic VST synth should be able to do this

https://vcvrack.com/Rack (free edition)

for VSTs, there's tons of solutions, but I use Studio One and they have a free version w/30 day trial: https://support.presonus.com/hc/en-us/articles/210041393-Studio-One-FREE-and-DEMO-FAQ

there's synths and some VSTs built in there and a piano roll type note editor.

Surge is a powerful and free VST synth: https://surge-synthesizer.github.io/

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Bespoke Synth can do it too, create a bank of oscillators and tune each one how you want. Then use LFO's to fade each oscillator in and out.

Everything being suggested is a rabbit hole though. You're gonna have to spend a few evenings learning the software to get the result you want. It's not that your ask is super complicated, just that if you know nothing about synthesizers it's gonna take a little bit to get up to speed.

VCV rack is probably the most appropriate tool though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Newf
Feb 14, 2006
I appreciate hacky sack on a much deeper level than you.
Thanks both. Will poke at some options and report back if / when I ever progress.