Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tanners
Dec 13, 2011

woof
HorizonXI is a new FFXI Private Server coming out :siren:DECEMBER 17th 10AM EST:siren:

Registration link + pre-launch character creation/name reservation
Patch Notes up here

Heres a launch trailer if youre trying to get some nostalgia juices flowin

Why is this server better than other FFXI private servers?
  • Era+ QoL changes, including: WotG era Movement Speed, Better Auction House, Class balancing to include more jobs in endgame/leveling
  • Manned by (seemingly?) competent group of people with actual community managers and staff codes of conduct and stuff.
  • Gradual Patch/Expansion progression starting at CoP
  • Way closer to retail than any private server before

The staff has been really tightlipped about a lot of stuff cause they want players to experiment and figure out as much stuff as possible for themselves. And because of this a lot of questions about the specifics of the server's changes are going unanswered.
Anything marked with a (?) in this post is not actually confirmed, but have been hinted at in one of their blog posts.

Below is a summary of what I think are the most important changes. Expect more than this to be revealed after launch and people can figure stuff out for themselves.

Project Values/Goals
  • Horizontal Progression at 75 Cap
  • Socializing and Group-oriented play
  • Balance and inclusion for all jobs, while maintaining 75-era class identity.
  • Encourage exploration and discovery of game mechanics
  • Player driven economy
  • No server donations at all
  • Things are always subject to change and player feedback

Rules

Leveling Changes

Content Changes
  • Shortened quest wait times
  • Mob spawn Audit: less clumps of mobs, and less huge empty spaces, and retail accurate spawning mechanics

Job/Skill Changes
  • Job Update Previews
  • More viable subjobs (No more /nin dominance)
  • Changes to various equipment's Job requirements
  • Spell Scrolls from NPCs are cheaper

Gear Changes
  • /lockstyle enabled
  • Artifact/Relic set/weapon stat changes (?)
  • Conquest Gear stat updates (?)
  • Mog Wardrobe 1 and 2 are unlockable (we dont know how yet)
  • Custom Cosmetic Gear unlocked via Hardcore Mode

Economy Changes
  • Many NPC stores have update inventory/prices
  • All Auction Houses Linked
  • 21 Auction listings per character
  • Auction House only shows items which have been listed before
  • Vendor price adjustments
  • Fishing pools and fatigue
  • Online Player Bazzar search tool

Miscellaneous Changes
  • Custom Music additions (optional)
  • /yell available in Cities only
  • Use two linkshells at once
  • Removed linkshell Cap
  • Increased search result cap
  • New Face/Hair options in character creation
  • Custom launcher/installer/updater with builtin addon support
  • Hardcore mode with cosmetic rewards

Links

Active Players
Tanners
Televisio
Tarns
Jenzar
Revanchism
Doctorwizard
Lant
Dathom
Gweenz

Tanners fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Mar 10, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tanners
Dec 13, 2011

woof
first

Lant
Jan 8, 2011

Muldoon
second

Valency
Feb 3, 2010

HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT

oh. oh god no.

why am i going to do this to myself again

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie
Wait, I thought goons hated the FFXI private server scene? Some of ya'll doing this?

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

I think goons hate the level 75 era more (myself included) and private servers are lumped into that because most of them want to re-live that era.

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

CyberLord XP posted:

Wait, I thought goons hated the FFXI private server scene? Some of ya'll doing this?

they fixed it

Tanners
Dec 13, 2011

woof

CyberLord XP posted:

Lots of goons definitely do, but theres some folks interested in it. I think the odds of a goon only linkshell are effectively 0, but the server apparently has over 5000 account signups so far and is growing.

I just like old MMOs, and have a lot of nostalgia for 11 cause it was my first one.

That said lets please not argue the virtues of 99 vs 75 cap, theres plenty of that in the main 11 thread.

Tanners fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Dec 13, 2022

sevenflow
Jun 28, 2003
just watch it for a second
I've played retail until endgame-ish and have only grouped up with people a handful of times, so I'm looking forward to this because I imagine it'll be happen more often out of necessity.

Tanners
Dec 13, 2011

woof

sevenflow posted:

I've played retail until endgame-ish and have only grouped up with people a handful of times, so I'm looking forward to this because I imagine it'll be happen more often out of necessity.

Yeah they even plan to integrate abyssea without invalidating group activities/leveling

the best part of 11 is shooting the poo poo with randos while auto attacking crabs

Tanners fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Dec 13, 2022

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I've never played XI, would this be a good way to try it out?

Tanners
Dec 13, 2011

woof

Fister Roboto posted:

It depends on what you want from the game.

Do you prefer playing solo primarily? Do you want to experience the original 2006 story at your own pace with minimal difficulty?

If yes, play live is really accessible from what I hear and the 11 thread has a lot of helpful people in it.

Do you want to try and experience what a 2006 ffxi might have felt like? Are you a fan of consistent group play, and the social activities that come along with that? Do you have a whole whole lot of time on your hands?

If yes, play this server. Youll never get the same experience as you wouldve at the time, but this is as close as youll get for the forseeable future. This project is the culmination of over a decade of private server development and management, with staff who were all top contributors to previous successful ffxi projects. So you really wont be seeing a better opportunity than this one.

Lant
Jan 8, 2011

Muldoon

Fister Roboto posted:

if you can stand the really bad UI, then it is the best old school style MMO in terms of just the world alone

Tanners
Dec 13, 2011

woof
Patch notes drop https://horizonxi.com/news/patch-notes-12-16-22

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
It's probably a mistake but I'm tempted to get into this, though I'll be a couple weeks before I can dedicate any real time to it - thanks, holidays. It's been so long and I don't remember anything, but it's tempting. This looks pretty high quality!

Prism fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Dec 16, 2022

sevenflow
Jun 28, 2003
They did a pretty great job on this launcher.

Tanners
Dec 13, 2011

woof
yeah launcher is super sick

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I'm planning on playing this tomorrow as a newcomer to FFXI. I don't have much in the way of expectations, just thought it'd be fun to try it at launch when there's a lot of people

Tanners
Dec 13, 2011

woof
According to the discord theres gonna be about 3000 people logging in for day 1

sevenflow
Jun 28, 2003
Unfortunately I'll be missing the first few days but am looking forward to my new life fighting rabbits in Ronfaure on day 4.

Orc Priest
Jun 9, 2021
This server has been getting a lot of hype. I've seen it brought up in numerous communities. Anyways, downloading now. Think I'll go DRK again just like back in '04. Those Leaping Lizzy boots will be mine this time around.

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

sevenflow posted:

Unfortunately I'll be missing the first few days but am looking forward to my new life fighting rabbits in Ronfaure on day 4.

It's gonna be much better in a few days when the starting areas aren't completely slammed

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Well I installed it and then my antivirus flipped the gently caress out and deleted everything :shrug:

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

I've been stuck at "verifying game files" in the launcher no matter what I do. I've followed all the instructions, I've disabled antivirus, made sure horizon was allowed through firewall, ran as administrator, and nothing seems to work. Longest I let it run was 45 minutes and nothing happens.

Edit: I guess the 30th time is the charm, it randomly decided to start working immediately this time for whatever reason

hello internet fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Dec 17, 2022

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
is there an actual complete list of job changes available? the wiki is just a bunch of "?" spots and while the overviews on the site are nice I'd rather just know specifics.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Carmant posted:

It's gonna be much better in a few days when the starting areas aren't completely slammed

It's fuckin wild atm. I was able to tag about 1 in 10 mobs on my thief.

Lamare
Mar 7, 2014

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I'm planning on playing this tomorrow as a newcomer to FFXI. I don't have much in the way of expectations, just thought it'd be fun to try it at launch when there's a lot of people

Just started up since it was so easy to setup. Totally new aswell to FFXI, got myself in Bastok. Oh my god the menuuuussssss what is thisssss

It does feel pretty populated for a private server. There's above 3.5k players online right now.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Lamare posted:

Just started up since it was so easy to setup. Totally new aswell to FFXI, got myself in Bastok. Oh my god the menuuuussssss what is thisssss

It does feel pretty populated for a private server. There's above 3.5k players online right now.

use a controller, this is extremely important.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Countblanc posted:

is there an actual complete list of job changes available? the wiki is just a bunch of "?" spots and while the overviews on the site are nice I'd rather just know specifics.

To answer my own question, they specifically aren't sharing this info and aren't allowing people to share datamined info

Does anyone have any good starter guides? like everyone else I played like 20 years ago and have basically forgotten everything in terms of like, what NPCs I should talk to in Bastok to unlock basic functionality or w/e

sevenflow
Jun 28, 2003
Good new player guide here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/13rwdBZi2d8ubOz71mGWxur3Hzjf2ghseehg2hZf95Kk

I'm really enjoying it so far but am just a little anxious about the number of changes they've introduced. I could see it unexpectedly snowballing and turning off players, which would be a shame because it's awesome to see so many people running around.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Countblanc posted:

To answer my own question, they specifically aren't sharing this info and aren't allowing people to share datamined info

This philosophy makes no sense in 2022. This info will get out within a week whether the devs like it or not. I understand their want to recapture the spirit of discovery people miss in the old school mmos but come on.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

SettingSun posted:

This philosophy makes no sense in 2022. This info will get out within a week whether the devs like it or not. I understand their want to recapture the spirit of discovery people miss in the old school mmos but come on.

I mostly agree, though I think it's easier to keep that kind of thing under wraps in a private server environment than it would be for Gaming at large - the population who sign up for a private server for a 4000 year old game which bills itself specifically as trying to recapture a moment in time for us boomers is going to be more willing to play ball re: spoilers than most. I personally would like that info and I've seen people say in the discord that it's "not hard to find" (though ill be honest, I have no idea where on the internet I'd look for datamines for a fresh private ffxi server), but people seem to mostly be keeping their lips sealed so far.

Squee
Jun 15, 2003
<3
Me and a friend started this on Saturday or whatever and it has been a nostalgic kick in the pants, fun so far but we will see how long that lasts. Putting together an alliance to try kill Bogy's for SJ items last night was a trip at least, despite getting absolutely destroyed.

sevenflow
Jun 28, 2003
Any consensus on when to group up here? Thought 12 but seems like soloing is significantly faster until at least 15, maybe more.

Lamare
Mar 7, 2014
The game is honestly glorious in all it's jankyness and weirdness. Fished buckets and rings and sometimes fishes out of the sewers of the Bastok Mines while chatting about the ideal height of lalas taru-tarus. Gave a full party a try and got to level 10 in like 30 minutes while having a shitload of items drop from the insane respawn rate outside the city gates. My Mog House storage is flooded with crystals. Had a silly quest to do a Gustaberg Tour and our group walked in line to get our well earned 500 gils.

People are talking about min-maxing and all I see are hilarious stories to be made on an old outdated MMO. I'm not following a guide, or using a controller, or using common sense. This private server owns.

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

sevenflow posted:

Any consensus on when to group up here? Thought 12 but seems like soloing is significantly faster until at least 15, maybe more.

With the rebalanced XP rings getting to 15 solo is pretty drat easy on most jobs. Maybe WHM still sucks to solo past 10 though.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Dumb question but what even is FFXI fishing? Back in the day I think my brain just brushed it off as "the thing bots did for carp and maybe something else", is it actually worth investigating?

Tanners
Dec 13, 2011

woof
yeah fishing is good. its also harder to bot nowadays since they added the minigame

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Get back to me when Legion is working

:wink:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Trying to get subjob items is really funny right now. Full alliances wiping to a single bogy. Legit harder than the Shadow Lord fight.