Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

Carmant posted:

Trying to get subjob items is really funny right now. Full alliances wiping to a single bogy. Legit harder than the Shadow Lord fight.

took my group like 2 and a half hours to get one for everyone, around 12 people. the hp drain move is killer

i've been having a blast playing again. not sure how long i'll keep at it, but i'm enjoying the nostalgia and grind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
The AH history has gotta be lying, no way in hell people are actually buying the Christmas food for 200-300 gil

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

how are people making money? I haven't gotten a single thing worth selling while leveling to 10

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

grieving for Gandalf posted:

how are people making money? I haven't gotten a single thing worth selling while leveling to 10

all of the cities have some repeatable quests that give a few hundred gil for monster trash. those are the only real way to generate gil at low levels while the player economy is still getting established

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Make sure you have Signet cast on you, that lets crystals drop from mobs and you get conquest points which can be traded for gear. Talk to one of the gate guards in your city.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Fister Roboto posted:

Make sure you have Signet cast on you, that lets crystals drop from mobs and you get conquest points which can be traded for gear. Talk to one of the gate guards in your city.

oh, I didn't realize the conquest points were good for more stuff than the rings

Lamare
Mar 7, 2014

Countblanc posted:

Dumb question but what even is FFXI fishing?

In Bastok at least, you can get 300gils for every five rusty buckets you fish out. That's how I got my starting money. You level up your fishing and some cooking at the same time. They actually manually turned off the Mom, the Adventurer? quest because people would turn in an insane amount of copper rings for 100gil each.

Also, the amount of starting gear from side quests in Bastok is pretty good. You can get a Rabbit Mantle (which is worth like 500 gil on AH) by simply turning a beef jerky to someone.

Squee
Jun 15, 2003
<3
Yeah each starting city has a few repeatable quests for gil, Windurst has the cralwer silk/calculus and yagudo necklaces, tho at this point you might be better off selling stuff on the market.
We made like 50k farming yagudo acolytes for scrolls of paralyze/protectra the first 2 days and selling those on the market board.

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

So they reduced the spawn rate for Bogy's in Buburimu, but something went wrong so right now Bogy's are spawning with the Goblin dat and Goblin loot table. So RIP anyone trying to get their subjob until whenever they fix that lol.

Server has been mostly stable.. but they do seem to majorly break something every time they adjust anything at all. Maybe that's how all servers are at the beginning though.

Lamare
Mar 7, 2014

Carmant posted:

So they reduced the spawn rate for Bogy's in Buburimu, but something went wrong so right now Bogy's are spawning with the Goblin dat and Goblin loot table. So RIP anyone trying to get their subjob until whenever they fix that lol.

Server has been mostly stable.. but they do seem to majorly break something every time they adjust anything at all. Maybe that's how all servers are at the beginning though.

https://imgur.com/a/V1tKwDO

Finally got a skull from Gusgen right before the server crashed. It's been like this all evening after maintenance. I think they might have gotten overwhelmed by the surprising popularity they're getting at the moment. It was above 4.2k.

Lamare fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Dec 23, 2022

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Somehow managed to get like 8 other people to play this with me, including half of my FF14 static. So that's cool.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Lamare posted:

In Bastok at least, you can get 300gils for every five rusty buckets you fish out. That's how I got my starting money. You level up your fishing and some cooking at the same time. They actually manually turned off the Mom, the Adventurer? quest because people would turn in an insane amount of copper rings for 100gil each.

Also, the amount of starting gear from side quests in Bastok is pretty good. You can get a Rabbit Mantle (which is worth like 500 gil on AH) by simply turning a beef jerky to someone.

alright, next question. how do you get a fishing rod and everything

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Pop is still over 4k primetime. Kind of crazy I figured it would die down at least a bit.

Utilizing a lot of exp camps I never would have on Eden because of the level sync range and the fact that all the usual zones are super congested.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'm not sure how long the rush will last because of how obtuse the devs are, but it'll be fun to play a version of the game where the low level experience is still there

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Almost 5k online now.. kind of ridiculous. And the servers absolutely can't handle it. They are working on improving the login servers apparently but I dunno. This server is going to have to shed a few thousand people to be playable I think.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

the actual in-game experience is very smooth, i don't think concurrent population is really the problem - it's the fragility of the login server and nothing else. ffxi has always had way more space for people to spread out into than was actually utilized so the high pop numbers are working out fairly gracefully as long as you're willing to experiment with leveling in places that aren't on the classic "standard track" of dunes -> qufim -> etc.

Lant
Jan 8, 2011

Muldoon
11's login has also always gone through PlayOnline so I have no idea how private servers handle it. Probably with ducktape and nightmares.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
How is the level curve in this? Is it faster than base CoP was? Auction House pretty stocked so far for low level equipment?

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Kortel posted:

How is the level curve in this? Is it faster than base CoP was? Auction House pretty stocked so far for low level equipment?

slightly faster than base CoP because low-level monsters give better exp, but in general 1.0 rates. you won't have trouble finding standard equipment at all, fancier stuff is expensive

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Lant posted:

11's login has also always gone through PlayOnline so I have no idea how private servers handle it. Probably with ducktape and nightmares.

Man, those play online lobbies and tunes are like nostalgia cocaine. I remember waiting over an hour or so to get into the game at one point and just vibing with people in the chat lobbies.

I was actually kind of hoping that this server would have the play online lobby thing or some similar thing with the same music.

https://youtu.be/bepVadmtkgk

:fap:

Kabuki Shipoopi fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jan 8, 2023

wereboat
Jun 23, 2011
The launcher has the play online music at least.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

That's fantastic news!

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Between the server being unable to stay online or them being unable to fix something without breaking something else, and the "balance" decisions they've made, I'm beginning to think these admins don't know what they're doing.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

It's almost like a bunch of unpaid volunteers are managing a free game built on top of old rear end software with a bunch of bloat and other features crowbarred out to make it work standalone with their own code bolted on while a bunch of entitled armchair devs scratch their asses and spit hot takes from the sidelines.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
It's also the biggest free MMO server I've ever been on. Like, for anything. No wonder their login servers are choking.

3-4000 simultaneous logins? Homecoming (the City of Heroes one) has less than half that and it has four game servers.

Edit: Right now, just before 3 am Eastern time, Horizon has an online population of 2318.

Prism fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Jan 9, 2023

Moofia Boss Val
May 14, 2021

I got the game for PS2 way back when, but ACE Online was my main MMO at the time so I didn't stick with it. I had a lot of fun with this private server during the first three weeks. Surprises me that modern MMOs don't have robust tools for assembling your own party like FFXI does. You can type /sea all players online and then input search parameters and then whisper people and ask them if they want to come join your party. But the game is just too time consuming. It takes 30-40 minutes to get to a grind spot, and then you might have to wait for other party members to arrive. Then you grind for 2 to 3 hours (sometimes 4), and then you have to get back to town because you don't have warp rings. And then you're looking at doing this all at least TWICE because you also need to level a subjob, or you want to switch to an advanced job that you couldn't start the game as. And then you have to go do a lot of detour unlocks, like spending three hours farming for gaussbit grass for chocobo rentals or Kazham keys for the airship to Kazham or magicked skulls for your subjob. After I returned to Kazham from the jungle having dinged 35 DRG/30 WAR, I opened up guides and took a look at just how much was still ahead of me... and decided to stop. Given the time sensitive nature of private servers (vast majority die off within a couple years, either due to interest dropoff or dev team instability/mismanagement, and this server is exhibiting signs of the latter), if you want to play one you want to play ASAP, but I would have to be unemployed to reach endgame within the next few months while the server would still probably be alive.

Prism posted:

It's also the biggest free MMO server I've ever been on.

I feel that Ascension WoW might be bigger, not sure. But yeah, Horizon seems really big right now.

Moofia Boss Val fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Jan 9, 2023

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

i think homecoming may have been bigger at launch - 3 of the 4 servers were redlining or close to it - but the CoH community had been fiending for a private server for nearly a decade so that's unsurprising. this is definitely the biggest FFXI classic server since this era was actually retail tho

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Glagha posted:

It's almost like a bunch of unpaid volunteers are managing a free game built on top of old rear end software with a bunch of bloat and other features crowbarred out to make it work standalone with their own code bolted on while a bunch of entitled armchair devs scratch their asses and spit hot takes from the sidelines.

Take this type of poo poo to their discord server with all the other sycophants, lmao. Pathetic.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Kongming posted:

Take this type of poo poo to their discord server with all the other sycophants, lmao. Pathetic.

have you been enjoying the free game

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

You can like something but not like the people who run it. They're not beyond reproach because they're "unpaid volunteers". Get real.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Kongming posted:

You can like something but not like the people who run it. They're not beyond reproach because they're "unpaid volunteers". Get real.

but what are they doing, spiting you by taking the server down to fix it? they're running a huge, free game that takes constant maintenance. if you think it sucks, hit the bricks

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

The leader adding -P to his name and doing a letter from the director tells me all I need to know about this server.

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

Kongming posted:

keep it down up there! posted:

The leader adding -P to his name and doing a letter from the director tells me all I need to know about this server.

this!!!

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

the admins are working their asses off, please understand

and by working their asses off, i mean getting extremely mad at people who use the clown emoji in their discord

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

the discord is full of incredibly annoying people both pro and anti dev. i'd hope we could keep discussion in this thread above the bare minimum of horizonchat discord, frankly. i don't know anything about them personally but they've done a pretty good job fixing the technical problems. if they're lovely people then that sucks.

anyway how's everyone doing? i'm taking a big break from leveling to get cooking leveled while ingredients are still very cheap. seems reasonably profitable so far

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I am enjoying the game.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Jazerus posted:

the discord is full of incredibly annoying people both pro and anti dev. i'd hope we could keep discussion in this thread above the bare minimum of horizonchat discord, frankly. i don't know anything about them personally but they've done a pretty good job fixing the technical problems. if they're lovely people then that sucks.

anyway how's everyone doing? i'm taking a big break from leveling to get cooking leveled while ingredients are still very cheap. seems reasonably profitable so far

What the gently caress is this poo poo

Why aren't you camping leaping lizzy 24/7 you absolute coward

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

never liked the NM camping stuff tbh. i did the ronfaure rabbit once in retail and that was enough for me, i'll hit buttons while watching youtube for my money

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Jazerus posted:

never liked the NM camping stuff tbh. i did the ronfaure rabbit once in retail and that was enough for me, i'll hit buttons while watching youtube for my money

Obviously I was initially joking but jesus christ I just remembered players carrying around old bragging rights gear well past the level where it would would make sense.

Are NM drops still the psycho flex they used to be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Shinjobi posted:

Obviously I was initially joking but jesus christ I just remembered players carrying around old bragging rights gear well past the level where it would would make sense.

Are NM drops still the psycho flex they used to be?

well there are probably at least 10 people standing around leaping lizzy's spawn point right now so draw your own conclusions