Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fangthane
May 16, 2007
Be true, Unbeliever.
I need all of those as well. hard to get a group together for the 3 mans as DRK. everyone wants RDM/RST/SMN.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Fangthane posted:

I need all of those as well. hard to get a group together for the 3 mans as DRK. everyone wants RDM/RST/SMN.

I've seen some drks run PP along with a bst and a rdm or smn kiter (could also be another bst) and they did just fine, you just have to watch your aggro since bst has trouble getting it back sometimes. We used to run it as war/nin x2 and a kiter with the wars bouncing hate when needed. I've ran it about 20 times here as a bst just helping out others and the only time we came close to losing was when the war/nin and rdm kiter died and I (bst) had to solo the 2nd liz down from 100 to 0 with only a few minutes left. It was close but we pulled it off.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon
Can anyone log in?

I keep getting error FFXI-3321 characters parameters are invalid

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

It's maintenance, they're applying the 1.1 patch.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

1.1 patch notes are out, some very interesting things. They appear to (finally) be trying to make Shuriken a viable option:

quote:

Ninja Shuriken Synthesis Recipes Reworked
The synthesis recipes for all Ninja shurikens have been adjusted. The recipe requirements, materials required, and yields provided are as follows:

• Shuriken
Synthesis Requirements: Smithing 22
Ingredients: 1x Wind Crystal, 1x Iron Sheet, 1x Cotton Thread
Yield:
NQ: Shuriken x33
HQ 1: Shuriken x66
HQ 2: Shuriken x99

• Juji Shuriken
Synthesis Requirements: Smithing 36
Ingredients: 1x Wind Crystal, 1x Steel Sheet, 1x Linen Thread
Yield:
NQ: Juji Shuriken x33
HQ 1: Juji Shuriken x66
HQ 2: Juji Shuriken x99

• Manji Shuriken
Synthesis Requirements: Goldsmithing 41
Ingredients: 1x Wind Crystal, 1x Mythril Sheet, 1x Wool Thread
Yield:
NQ: Manji Shuriken x33
HQ 1: Manji Shuriken x66
HQ 2: Manji Shuriken x99

• Fuma Shuriken
Synthesis Requirements: Smithing 55
Ingredients: 1x Wind Crystal, 1x Darksheel Sheet, 1x Silk Thread
Yield:
NQ: Fuma Shuriken x33
HQ 1: Fuma Shuriken x66
HQ 2: Fuma Shuriken x99

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
The screeching about the removal of bestial loyalty is incredible. It's not even a huge nerf while the 75 popular jug pet getting nerfed is at least more substantial. Like oh no they'll actually have to use charm, or pay for jugs.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Apr 14, 2023

PrinnySquad
Sep 20, 2008

It really isn't that complicated.

Rynoto posted:

The screeching about the removal of bestial loyalty is incredible. It's not even a huge nerf while the 75 popular jug pet getting nerfed is at least more substantial. Like oh no they'll actually have to use charm, or pay for jugs.

Can't believe the devs completely destroyed BST with this patch, job completely unplayable now, garbage server.
>logs in to 75 BST character and continues to solo high level NMs with ease due to jug scaling

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

it's pretty cool that they're leaning into the ninja focus on shadows to make their new 2 hour "be naruto for 30 seconds"

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
They buffed a set of level 45 armor just as I got that level last night, how nice of them.

PrinnySquad
Sep 20, 2008

Jazerus posted:

it's pretty cool that they're leaning into the ninja focus on shadows to make their new 2 hour "be naruto for 30 seconds"

New NIN 2 hour, Gil Toss.

I wonder if all duplicate casts can magic burst independently...

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Some bugfixes today in the patch but an interesting change for all you melee lovers:
• Bounding Boots drop rate from the BCNM Petrifying Pair has been increased to 20% from 10%.

Tanners
Dec 13, 2011

woof
that bcnm fuckin sucks cause its not instanced at all, and you basically have to wait in a queue for an hour between attempts

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Yeah instances weren't a thing in FFXI until ToAU and even then they can't handle a lot of people doing instances. Doing Omen on retail on the populated servers during primetime takes forever.

PrinnySquad
Sep 20, 2008

Watch people kite lizards for an hour from outside the arena so you can go inside and kite a lizard once and repeat :shepface:

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It's particularly weird and a bit funny because some BCNMs allow multiple parties at once, now. Like, 60AA (and the other there) allows multiple parties even though there's a (rare) bug where someone will appear inside your instance from outside your party if both parties are entering at the same time.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

I didn't realize the lizard one was at the Ghelsba hut. Yeah that sucks. The other BCNM zones like the ones you do the Dragon fight in for rank 3 actually have multiple copies of the same area that you can't see so yes it can support multiple parties even though it's not instanced. But the hut doesn't have that luxury.

PrinnySquad
Sep 20, 2008

Yeah Petrifying Pair and Wings of Fury are both at the hut, which is why it's so drat packed all the time.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

When Adventuring Fellow quest was released like 15 years ago you had to do a solo battle at the hut in Ghelsba and there's pics floating around of people lining up around the zone to get into the hut. Wish I had it on hand lol

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Kongming posted:

When Adventuring Fellow quest was released like 15 years ago you had to do a solo battle at the hut in Ghelsba and there's pics floating around of people lining up around the zone to get into the hut. Wish I had it on hand lol

I was in that line on phoenix. It was honestly a really fun time.

Never even bothered leveling the thing though.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

Edit: we good now

Lieutenant Centaur fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Apr 20, 2023

Brass
Oct 30, 2011

Anyone else into HELM? I've made the most money digging but it started getting super competitive in Altepa, the whole zone would get dug up in ~15 min every hour even during the off-hours with only 1500 players. I assumed people were abusing multibox alts/possibly botting, so I have been working on a few different crafts. I've heard with the 1.1 update that digging is the #1 moneymaker, with Konstchat/Buburimu/Tahrongi being the most profitable, so I'm checking out a few of the zones this week.

I know the superstition is strong in this game, but I swear there are certain spots in zones that give better digging results (mainly around the entrances/exits to the next zone).

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
When you say digging, do you mean excavating? Or is chocobo digging considered part of HELM?

Either way, I'd appreciate someone putting up an effort post on money making and overall server economics.

PrinnySquad
Sep 20, 2008

Clam diggers rise up.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Freakazoid_ posted:

When you say digging, do you mean excavating? Or is chocobo digging considered part of HELM?

Either way, I'd appreciate someone putting up an effort post on money making and overall server economics.

Here's all the ways I'm aware of to make gil. All of these involve some form of effort.

1. Farming enemy drops - Probably the most straightforward way to make cash. Just kill poo poo and sell what it drops. Treasure Hunter helps a lot with this so I recommend at the very least subbing THF as a 30+ job to gain access to it if you're not a THF yourself. Raw materials tend to sell quickly but obtaining them can be time consuming, you may have to deal with competition for your mobs, and you are limited by what you can reliably kill depending on your job/level. I recommend this to people who are starting out or need a quick cash infusion.

2. Camping NMs with big money drops - If you can claim it and get the drop you are looking at a big payout but I personally dislike this as a way of making money. Competition can be fierce, drop rates can be bad, and spawn times can be long. There's no guarantee that you can even claim the NM let alone get the drop so you can be investing hours for no payout.

3. Fishing - You catch fish and sell them to NPC with a few exceptions where they sell on the AH. Problems with this method are the time investment is massive to reach a point where you can start raking in gil. You also need a Lu Shang's to really make a killing fishing which is another massive time/gil investment. So if you go the fishing route you're probably going to be doing nothing BUT fishing for a good long time.

4. Crafting - Like fishing this is a great way to make money but the time investment is large plus the additional gil investment in skilling up your craft. You also need a good handle on what is profitable to craft and be willing to spend a lot of time at the AH. Some crafts are also easier and cheaper to skill up than others but may have less profitable synths once you skill it up. Going this route requires significant research and good sense on what people want to buy from you.

5. HELM, Chocobo Digging, and BCNMs - I do not have as much knowledge on these as the others. I will say that Chocobo Digging is another massive time investment with little payout until you reach a high enough skill (yes, there is a hidden chocobo digging skill). HELM I don't engage in at all and BCNMs I haven't done any on this server.

Personally, I go the crafting route and I've reached a point where I have a steady income that I continue to dump into the craft to skill it up. To reach a point where you can get steady income like this I'd say you need to be at the very least 50 skill, 60+ ideally, but this again varies with the craft. I'm currently 70 Bonecraft with 60 Leathercraft and a few other subs in the teens and I have several money making synths that I can cycle through reliably with HQs.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
Server is quickly hitting the phase where all except the hardest-to-craft NQ items are dropping swiftly in price as people swap to crafting for (and buying) HQ.

A very good source of money from seals still remains BCNM60 AA (100k minimum, ~300k average per run) while KSNM30 ODS is also becoming quite lucrative to run for rare crafting resources if you're more fighty. The seed money from these can be used to raise a craft if you're not a HELMer which is the ideal long-term solution for gil.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Apr 25, 2023

PrinnySquad
Sep 20, 2008

If you're someone with a more limited playtime, like myself, I'd recommend:

⦾ Fishing - Low level fishing for carps, and then frogs doesn't take too much investment to get into, and will easily make enough to ensure you can always cover party food, warps etc. And then if you put more time into it, you can rack up a fair amount of gil.
⦾ BCNMs - Assuming you're leveling jobs, you're gonna have beast seals, and putting them to use is both fun and can be fairly profitable. Also you spend maybe 1-2 hours to run with a party through a set and then you're free to do whatever.
⦾ Gardening - Growing plants in your mog house is about as low effort as it gets, just have to be sure to check on them on the daily so they don't die. But as with anything else low effort, the rewards are also low.

The big money makers are all gonna require a lot more time to get into it, which is no surprise. But you can still get by pretty well even if you're strapped for time.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

If you're going to get into crafting have a long term plan in place ahead of time and be prepared to stick to it. Read the leveling guides, but be prepared to throw half of that information out because most of them were written pre-2010 and based on the more stable and mature economies of those servers. I'm already starting to see most of the higher end items come down in price because of both the farming of the items needed and more crafters reaching the levels needed to craft them.

For people who might be newish to the FFXI economy, the biggest money makers are HQ'ing items like Sniper Rings, Haubergeons, Scorpion Harnesses, and the like. Crafters with maxed skill will buy extremely expensive materials for those items and when they don't get an HQ they lose money....and it's not a little bit. I'll use Sniper Rings as the example because I've been watching the price tumble for a while. Here's the synth:

Earth Crystal

1 x Archer's Ring
1 x Tiger Leather

The cost of the crystal and leather are irrelevant. Regular Sniper Rings currently sell for around 300k ( and dropping fast). The Archer's Ring used to craft it sells for 380k (also dropping, but not quite as fast and was stuck at 480k for a long time). So, each time they don't get a +1 they lose around 100k on each synth. This is no big deal for them because it is only a matter of time and sample size. If you synth 100, or 200....you have a pretty good idea how many +1's you'll get. Sniper Ring +1's sell for 1.8M to 2M.

This is now a game of chicken between the Sniper Ring's crafters, and Archer's Ring farmers. The bigger that loss per synth the less likely a crafter is going to risk it. So predictably Archer's Rings are piling up on the AH and it's only a matter of time before the farmers cave and the archer's price tanks. They'll still buy them, just not at the volume needed to satisfy the farmers.

Literally as I am typing this:

Unless you are an old school NM camper I would not camp them. The people with knowledge of the camps and the correct jobs to camp them will eat your lunch. NM camping is also gambler's mentality; sure you got a drop worth 500k or 1M but how many hours did it take you to get it? How high were your losses (in time). What was the opportunity cost? Consider NM camping to be buying lottery tickets and you get the right idea.

BNCMs are ok for an infusion of cash especially if you're not chasing rare/ex gear (rip me) but I would not count on them as a source of steady money.

Crafting is and always has been the long term cash solution but make sure to stick to it and don't give up halfway. Some crafts can start paying themselves off when you start to hit the 30's others are just money sinks until very late, looking at you GS and BS.

More than anything get levels and rank because it opens up more opportunities.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

My PCA dropped on the 7th run, pretty merciful all things considered.

PrinnySquad
Sep 20, 2008

Gorson posted:

My PCA dropped on the 7th run, pretty merciful all things considered.

Grats, I've just been plugging all my seals away into AA runs, up to 3 elemental staves so far.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

PrinnySquad posted:

Grats, I've just been plugging all my seals away into AA runs, up to 3 elemental staves so far.

Thanks! Prices on elemental ores are holding steady so you can make some good money on BCNMs. I might keep chasing rare/ex and try to get myself some kotes or fumas. The Beastman Seal timer is reset-able on this server and as far as I know the devs don't care if you abuse it. You can quickly rack up dozens of seals by leveling jobs to 10 right next to the cities.

PrinnySquad
Sep 20, 2008

Finally got ZM4 done last night. Group was all newbies who had never done it before. Took an hour to get everyone through to the door of the fight, which we cleared in just a few minutes. Everyone was very thankful for guiding them through and made some server buddies :3:

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

PrinnySquad posted:

Finally got ZM4 done last night. Group was all newbies who had never done it before. Took an hour to get everyone through to the door of the fight, which we cleared in just a few minutes. Everyone was very thankful for guiding them through and made some server buddies :3:

It's smooth sailing from there and can be done in a night with a motivated group. Got my sky access last night.

PrinnySquad
Sep 20, 2008

I'm always surprised at how short and kinda poo poo Zilart is, especially compared to the behemoth that is CoP a few years later.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

PrinnySquad posted:

I'm always surprised at how short and kinda poo poo Zilart is, especially compared to the behemoth that is CoP a few years later.

I will say I prefer how quickly you can blitz through ZMs to get to Sky compared to CoP and its endless timewasting tedium of the non-dungeon/boss fights.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Somewhere in the middle would be good. CoP occasionally suffers from some bad quest design relying on low drop rates to add "challenge". Then instead of making the drop item rare/ex they make it farmable and sellable. I still haven't got the gold key from Louv's path since the last person I asked wanted 50k for one. That's fine, I was starting to get underleveled for CoP and would rather level up and go back and farm one for myself.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Is there a way I can just play this on a private server of my own to skip all the grinding and just see the content?

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Mercury_Storm posted:

Is there a way I can just play this on a private server of my own to skip all the grinding and just see the content?

If you mean just doing story stuff then yes. You can set up your own test server like so: https://gitlab.com/ffxiwings/wings/-/wikis/Server-Installation-Guide

And then just use GM commands to make yourself invincible/speedhack/wallhack/warp to your heart's content.

Fangthane
May 16, 2007
Be true, Unbeliever.
I'm sure you could also watch youtube compilations too if you're ok with that. I've done it for a few because the expectation seems to be to mash buttons through the cut-scenes so the party can move on.

Made it to 75 DRK. I don't feel like going through the process of trying to get into merit parties so I swapped over to the summoner. It's been pretty good so far though at these levels I find myself doing the "I don't know what I should be doing right now" dance. Later I understand you pretty much just open/close skill chains and maintain buffs but at these low levels there seems to be a lot more gaps where...I guess I just let my pet wail on the mob too?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Fangthane posted:

Later I understand you pretty much just open/close skill chains and maintain buffs but at these low levels there seems to be a lot more gaps where...I guess I just let my pet wail on the mob too?

Yeah. From 20~50 you're either bursting with another SMN for BLM burns or just doing DPS/pulling. After that you should have most of the important buffs and can also do bursts for WHM burns or buff for normal parties.

I need to actually play more. Stalled out for a while and have barely been around more than an hour every few days. Everything always takes too much time.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 08:09 on May 18, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

Rynoto posted:

Yeah. From 20~50 you're either bursting with another SMN for BLM burns or just doing DPS/pulling. After that you should have most of the important buffs and can also do bursts for WHM burns or buff for normal parties.

I need to actually play more. Stalled out for a while and have barely been around more than an hour every few days. Everything always takes too much time.

Send me your gil when you quit ;P