Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

Send me your gil when you quit ;P

Hah. I only have a few hundred thousand liquid with the rest tied up in items. Most of the 'account value' is lost forever in scrolls :shepicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon
"A few hundred thousand" 🤣

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

I was PM'img a few people but I'll just make a post.

Anyone who is still active and lurking if you're not in the LS and would like to join us let me know :)

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

I've been in a crafting hole, this is my first time really getting into crafting in this game (other than cooking) and I've found it addictive. I've got WW at 60, Alch at 56, Gold 41, leather 35, smith 31, etc. Haven't decided which of those I'll take past 60, but I can make (some) money just by scrounging the AH for low priced mats and crafting them into consumables with a little markup. Still, mining has been my bread and butter. With iron ore stacks holding at 9-10k you can semi-afk yourself to a big chunk of gil, and by getting GS and BS up to 20ish can craft profitable ingots.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

Gorson posted:

I've been in a crafting hole, this is my first time really getting into crafting in this game (other than cooking) and I've found it addictive. I've got WW at 60, Alch at 56, Gold 41, leather 35, smith 31, etc. Haven't decided which of those I'll take past 60, but I can make (some) money just by scrounging the AH for low priced mats and crafting them into consumables with a little markup. Still, mining has been my bread and butter. With iron ore stacks holding at 9-10k you can semi-afk yourself to a big chunk of gil, and by getting GS and BS up to 20ish can craft profitable ingots.

Don't give me ANOTHER thing to do in this game, haha

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I totally understand not getting into synthing. Most of them require a big investment before you ever see returns.

If you have to get into it, Cooking is probably the least bad. Initial investment isn't too high and you can start making money back with selbina butter. Not big returns, but they're consistent.

As has always been the case with MMOs, the real money makers are either in the gathering of resources or crafting end-game gear.

That said, I did pick up smithing/goldsmithing so that I could have some flexibility playing the ore/ingot market. This hasn't worked out as well as I had hoped, but a recent spike in copper/bronze ingot prices has helped make up what I have invested so far. Not looking forward to the iron/silver grind, especially because iron's profit margin isn't any better than copper or bronze.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Smithing is only slightly better than GSmithing but both will require massive gil investments (10-20m+, at least and depending on failsynth luck) to breakthrough into the high end profit. Even then though you'll still be operating mostly on commission crafting and will take occasional losses - which you should offset by having a 'guarantee' fee for those failsynths.

PrinnySquad
Sep 20, 2008

It really isn't that complicated.
Alchemy has some mild quick returns on things like Poison Pots, Sneak Oils etc. Did Diabolos last night and was surprised to see even single poison pots going for 1k a pop.

Not sure what the ratios are like on their higher end synths though.

kaempfer0080
Aug 22, 2011

Certified Weeb

How is Horizon doing? I stopped playing around late March and I'm thinking about logging in again. I've got DRK and SAM at around 60.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

It's tricky to make steady money in any profession right now considering how wildly material prices are spiking up and down. Having several crafts leveled (without bankrupting myself) gives me some options depending on how prices are spiking. I've started to hit some tall walls on both BS and GS and need to decide whether or not to sink gil into them.

I watched someone craft 8 NQ Sniper Rings in a row with zero HQ's, Archer Rings are 380k Snipers are 250k so that's a loss of 130k per synth plus the other mats. Ouch.

kaempfer0080 posted:

How is Horizon doing? I stopped playing around late March and I'm thinking about logging in again. I've got DRK and SAM at around 60.

It's doing pretty well, there are still some annoying bugs but populations are still regularly over 2k. It's still not easy to make money (that's capitalism/FFXI) but the inflation on certain higher end items is coming down. Hop on and message me if you'd like a shell.

CoP completed and Rajas acquired @ level 69. The 8-4 battle takes place in the best zone in the game, it's so good:

Helluva
Feb 7, 2011

What difference does the nation make for characters if any?

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.

Disparition posted:

Plot lines and changes up some cutscenes slightly. It also dictates what equipment you can purchase with Conquest points.
Not on Horizon but normal game you also start with a nation ring if starting with the nation's associated race.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Disparition posted:

Bastok is easiest to get around. Windurst is very spread out and a pain to get around the city, but the main reason to not roll Windurst is they never win conquest (because the vast majority choose SanD/Bastok). This matters because the main form of travel is warping from a city to an Outpost, and you can't warp to an outpost until your city controls it and you do a supplies quest to that outpost. It's also much easier to get fame with Bastok and Sandoria. I wouldn't recommend Windurst unless you are nostalgic for it or you just really like the aesthetic.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

kaempfer0080 posted:

From my perspective having joined around the time you stopped playing, it feels like I just missed the train. There's a bunch of players now who have sky access and getting a 63+ xp group outside of sky is uncommon. I've halted leveling for the past two weeks or so trying to get sky access. I've been stuck on ZM5 for most of that time, having only completed it last night, largely due to a lack of relevant players who need it.

The market fluctuations are pretty annoying, but with higher level gear coming down in price a bit, I expect to grab some of that good stuff pretty soon.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Freakazoid_ posted:

From my perspective having joined around the time you stopped playing, it feels like I just missed the train. There's a bunch of players now who have sky access and getting a 63+ xp group outside of sky is uncommon. I've halted leveling for the past two weeks or so trying to get sky access. I've been stuck on ZM5 for most of that time, having only completed it last night, largely due to a lack of relevant players who need it.

The market fluctuations are pretty annoying, but with higher level gear coming down in price a bit, I expect to grab some of that good stuff pretty soon.

I'll should be around most of the day, if you want to pick a time (ish) we can get sky knocked out for you.

Helluva
Feb 7, 2011

Gorson posted:

Bastok is easiest to get around. Windurst is very spread out and a pain to get around the city, but the main reason to not roll Windurst is they never win conquest (because the vast majority choose SanD/Bastok). This matters because the main form of travel is warping from a city to an Outpost, and you can't warp to an outpost until your city controls it and you do a supplies quest to that outpost. It's also much easier to get fame with Bastok and Sandoria. I wouldn't recommend Windurst unless you are nostalgic for it or you just really like the aesthetic.

Started with the Hume City, I'm having some hard time navigating based on the map but so far it seems challenging and sweet. I only played FFXIV so it's my first time trying it.

So far I am doing the quests and exploring the world, any tips for a starter?

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

windy is actually the easiest city to get around because of the warp tarus but good luck convincing enough people that that's true to get windy enough population to compete

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Windy has the worst Auction House placement relative to mog houses. I formed this opinion due to bonecraft guild being in windy. Getting my money from sales while listing more stuff sucks the most in windurst. In Bastok Mines and Port Sandy the auction house is really close to MH entrance.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Jazerus posted:

windy is actually the easiest city to get around because of the warp tarus but good luck convincing enough people that that's true to get windy enough population to compete

no bagpipes, no dumbass elevators or drawbridges, it's the cream of the crop

windy forever

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Disparition posted:

Started with the Hume City, I'm having some hard time navigating based on the map but so far it seems challenging and sweet. I only played FFXIV so it's my first time trying it.

The best starting tip is doing the intro quest npc. They aren't going to have a quest marker, but they should be nearby where you first entered the game. It'll take a while to complete but it will eventually reward you with an xp boost ring that you can recharge once a week. This will make those early levels fly by.

If/when you play a melee class, type /partyinfo showtp on. This will display your party member's tp, which is useful for coordinating skillchains.

Also consider using some of the addons. allmaps is practically a necessity. checker will be useful if you're on pulling duty. Some goons swear by some UI overhaul, but I never felt I needed it.

In my personal opinion, sandy is the only starting city that feels like it had something resembling proper city planning. Just about every high foot traffic spot is wide and flat, almost like they expected people to actually walk back and forth between important locations! Not all of those important locations got that treatment, in particular the somewhat narrow alleyway to the outpost warp npc, but compared to bastok and windy, it's practically Vienna.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Disparition posted:

Best one I can give, and this is only relative to this server, is to level all the way to 10 on the level 1-2 mobs very near the city gates. On this server you get xp on those all the way to 10, it was not this way in retail. The bees outside bastok drop Wind Crystals so make sure you have signet on and sell those crystals for early cash. Do this with a few of the base jobs and you'll have some gil to start filling in those gear slots. I'd recommend soloing all the way to 15 on the easiest mobs you can kill that still give xp. IMO 0-15 is by far the worst part of the game and the Horizon devs smartly gave us ways to get through it quickly.

PrinnySquad
Sep 20, 2008

Running Dyna Valkurm with some folks, many of them it was their first time. Still got the clear but the goob was certainly messy, with some bonus private server jank.

https://images-ext-1.discordapp.net/external/7lBKwCMjiLuSR15ubSFMAhVRJ_eM9vZpfwEw0jUkrjU/https/i.imgur.com/EkY4GHr.mp4

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

After just hitting 60 and not playing for about a week I'm having trouble finding the motivation to keep going.

LB3 seems like such a chore

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I would not object at all if the limit break quests were removed. They're a part of the nostalgia but at some point that has to negatively affect server growth.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I say add more limit breaks

Make up some

PrinnySquad
Sep 20, 2008

Unique alternatives to HNM gear is code for gear the is monstrously stronger than anything else available in the game apparrently.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
It's not hard to make gear that is completely bonkers because gear progression in classic FFXI is extremely scattershot. Even end-game gear has some wasted stats.

PrinnySquad
Sep 20, 2008

I mean the baseline to be competitive with actual like King's body piece is pretty low:

It's a body piece with Refresh and some fluff, them directly comparing it to things like a BRD piece with a Stat that I don't think existed on gear until Abyssea is pretty silly.

At the rate RDM pieces are dropping Dynamis, I might actually complete this set before my relic one even with the time gating :shepface:

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Gear in FFXI has always had weird progression and to me it's part of the charm. You get attached to a piece of gear whereas in most games it's replaceable every x number of levels.

Good to see them adding content. One thing I liked on Nasomi was the level capped world dragons that were added.

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Only a few find the way, some don't recognize it when they do - some... don't ever want to.
Eh well gently caress it. I'm in as Rattimus for now.

Xeras fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Jul 26, 2023

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Only a few find the way, some don't recognize it when they do - some... don't ever want to.
This server is an absolute blast. I’ve almost universally met helpful people and most are relatively chill.

RazeChildren
Apr 27, 2003
Howdy. I just got hit with nostalgia and started doing the Horizon thing. I didn't take the time to read all of the, doubtless, fun posts in this thread, but if we have an official GoonLS please pearl me up. I'm Ganache. Hanging in the Windurst area and doing low level idiot stuff while I "do my job".

PrinnySquad
Sep 20, 2008

I'm still playing as Doctorwizard, with only 2 linkpearl slots I don't have the goon one on much anymore, but can help folks out with basic stuff if I'm on and not doing Dynamis or what not.

RazeChildren
Apr 27, 2003

PrinnySquad posted:

I'm still playing as Doctorwizard, with only 2 linkpearl slots I don't have the goon one on much anymore, but can help folks out with basic stuff if I'm on and not doing Dynamis or what not.

Sounds good. I'll send a tell if I see you online. Currently just cruising all my mage jobs through Valkurm levels.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

drat it, getting that itch again. How many peeps are still in the goon LS?

PrinnySquad
Sep 20, 2008

RazeChildren posted:

Sounds good. I'll send a tell if I see you online. Currently just cruising all my mage jobs through Valkurm levels.

If you haven't gotten your sub job items yet we can smash that out easily.

Uhhh not sure if there's anyone other than me, but given the pearl limitations, could be more in the shadows, also like me.

If any goons are interested I slapped together a quick Discord, easier to coordinate helping people out with poo poo.
https://discord.gg/DdW3Ujqe

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

I play most days and wasn’t aware we even had a LS

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

PrinnySquad posted:

If you haven't gotten your sub job items yet we can smash that out easily.

Uhhh not sure if there's anyone other than me, but given the pearl limitations, could be more in the shadows, also like me.

If any goons are interested I slapped together a quick Discord, easier to coordinate helping people out with poo poo.
https://discord.gg/DdW3Ujqe

Did Freakazoid and Gweenz throw in the towel too?

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Did Freakazoid and Gweenz throw in the towel too?

Pretty much. I don't like FFXI's end-game, I just wanted to make it to cap and I nearly quit twice on the way there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
End-game is fun but takes too much time.