Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

i think only the first job unlock gives mog wardrobe. getting to rank 3 with your nation gives you 10 slots tho and with all of the folks running around it's not hard to put together a party to do mission 2-3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug
game's pretty good

Fangthane
May 16, 2007
Be true, Unbeliever.
I tried to do San d'oria 1-3 last night but it bugged out and locked me in the arena without giving me credit. I had to stand around for the unstuck command to warp me out. Otherwise having a good time with the server.

Death Dealer
Jul 25, 2006

Decided to roll up a character since the server didn't catastrophically explode (much) in the first month.

It sure is FF11, which meant I had to remember a lot of keybinds I have not thought about in a hot minute.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
Kinda sucks that people are focusing on level sync as a primary means of leveling. Was soloing in Bubu and level 36s at least we're syncd down to 20s.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

it's much better than how it actually was in the era, where you sat around for 6 hours hoping that somebody who was specifically your exact level +/- 1 invited you to a party. a few people are being weird with it to fight stuff they're objectively way too high level for, but being able to just drop down a few levels to fit into a party is a godsend

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

Kortel posted:

Kinda sucks that people are focusing on level sync as a primary means of leveling. Was soloing in Bubu and level 36s at least we're syncd down to 20s.

I think you get a pretty significant penalty to exp as you go past a 10 level sync. It's not like Eden where you can sit in one place from level 15-75. I think the sync range on here is great. It keeps you moving but also gives you plenty of options.

Moofia Boss Val
May 14, 2021

Kortel posted:

Parties syncing is more economical for a packed playerbase. A party of 6 players fighting one mob for one minute is more efficient than one player fighting one mob for 30 seconds and then tagging another mob. The more people party together, the more people can get EXP. If too many people solo then there aren't enough mobs.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
Sucks for those actually in the approximate level range in the zone those parties are saturating. Yagudo's zone, can't remember the name at the moment, which has a level range of 10 to 30 is covered in sync parties. I can pretty much run through the whole dungeon and not see a spawn other than the Bees. Ghelsba outpost is pretty bad too. There's definately more sync parties than actual level range parties pre-30.
Edit
Relatedly is there a glut of Whitemages? I parties with two WHM, one THF, one DRG and a RDM. Saw tons of solo WHM running around.

Kortel fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jan 22, 2023

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Everywhere is going to be saturated because there's still like 4k people online at peak times. Trying to find your own little niche to level in is going to be extremely difficult if not impossible. Competing for spawns is part of the XI experience, anyway.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Kortel posted:

Sucks for those actually in the approximate level range in the zone those parties are saturating. Yagudo's zone, can't remember the name at the moment, which has a level range of 10 to 30 is covered in sync parties. I can pretty much run through the whole dungeon and not see a spawn other than the Bees. Ghelsba outpost is pretty bad too. There's definately more sync parties than actual level range parties pre-30.
Edit
Relatedly is there a glut of Whitemages? I parties with two WHM, one THF, one DRG and a RDM. Saw tons of solo WHM running around.

everyone syncs when they level even if they're only a couple of levels off of each other, the parties you are seeing are most likely not at an inappropriate level for the zones they're in. you get a penalty for syncing 10 or more levels down so people are generally going to not do that.

sailormoon
Jun 28, 2014

fighting evil by moonlight
winning love by daylight

Hate to ask, but is this the “best” FFXI private server? I remember Eden being huge at launch but I have no idea what the big differences are between each server.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
Not sure about best but it's pretty stable compared to others, has not dipped under 2k players (it was 4.6k last night) and the class rebalancing feels pretty good so far. Auction House isn't super full but I've almost always found something for my levels. Thins out after 50 a bit but makes sense considering most the player base isn't doing high end content yet.

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

Tbh I think Eden is a higher quality server with a more stable seeming team. I liked their super detailed patch notes. But the population is super top heavy and I can't see them drawing in many new players now (unless Horizon implodes somehow).

Rosemont
Nov 4, 2009
How approachable is this game for new players? I've never played FF11 and while I missed most of the old school MMOs I'm always willing to give one a chance.

Moofia Boss Val
May 14, 2021

Rosemont posted:

How approachable is this game for new players? I've never played FF11 and while I missed most of the old school MMOs I'm always willing to give one a chance.

Pretty approachable. The game isn't hard at all, it's just incredibly time consuming to progress through the game. Levels 1-10 just autoattack mobs in the starter zone. After level 10 you either want to turn your party flag on so you get invited to EXP parties (you get invites the fastest as a tank or a healer), or you can easily form your own parties by typing /sea all inv 10-13 to get a list of players who are invite flagged levels 10-13. Once you're in a party you go find an appropriate spot to farm mobs for hours and hours. If you have to leave soon then inform the party leader and ask if you should find a replacement for yourself or if he will do it. Every so often you will want to detour from partying to go do other stuff, like at level 20 you go farm 4 gaussbit grass from wadi hares and turn them to unlock chocobo rentals, or at level 20 you go to Gusgen Mines and farm skeletons for magicked skulls so you can unlock the ability to equip a subjob, etc. It took my 200 hours of playtime to reach level 35 Dragoon/30 Warrior.

For combat, if you are DPS, you're going to be clicking an ability about once a minute. It gets a little faster as you get to higher levels and unlock more abilities but generally it's leisurely gameplay. You can alt+tab out during combat a lot while you're autoattacking and waiting for your ability to come off cooldown. If you are a healer then you are going to be using Cure spells as necessary, otherwise you're usually kneeling to regen MP. Tank uses provoke and maybe a few other abilities he has unlocked to try to maintain enmity.

Money is really hard to come by. Don't spend gil on armor unless you're a tank. Otherwise, spend on upgrading your weapon and buying spells. If you talk to your country's gate guards, they will cast a buff called signet on you, which converts a small portion of EXP your earn from killing mobs into conquest points, which you can spend on gear. This really helps. If you have equipped all of the gear you can get through CP then you should be selling CP gear on the auction house to make extra gil.

If you get crystals, don't throw them away (unless they're fire crystals in which case they can sell for a decent amount of money on the AH). Save them so you can turn them into the gate guards so you can increase your nation rank and progress through the nation storyline.

Moofia Boss Val fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jan 24, 2023

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

you don't need all that many crystals for rank points on this server. you definitely want to sell your fire and wind crystals at a minimum - earth and water are the only ones i would consider turning in for rank points, and you only need to turn in a few stacks over the lifetime of your character. by the time you need them it'll be easier to buy them.

money is hard as a new player because this is a game where knowledge translates pretty directly into cash, but every starting city has repeatable quests for cash and mobs with valuable drops in the starter zones, although there is some variance in how good the repeatable quests and/or drops are between cities. i think windurst is probably the best for early drops because crawlers basically drop 700+ gil every time they drop a silk thread, which is an order of magnitude better than any of bastok or san d'oria's drops, and there is just generally more valuable stuff in their starting zones; but windy also has the worst repeatable quests, so it's kind of a tossup in that regard.

the most confusing thing for a brand-new player about this server would probably be disentangling what information on the wiki is old and applies to this era of the game, and what information is about stuff from later expansions. the horizon-specific wiki sucks because nobody's working on it so you just kinda have to use the one for retail and figure it out.

Rosemont
Nov 4, 2009
Thanks for the replies and pointers! I'll be checking out the game later.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.

Rosemont posted:

Game sucks for the first 20 levels for brand new players who have MMO experience. I'm walking two guys through right now and they get fed up with what should be simple ideas. The keyboard movement, clunky UI, no direction in-game to guide them is the most common complaints. Plus feeling weak for a dozen levels hurts.
Just tell anyone coming to join you this is pre-World of War craft and the game is designed as a journey and not a rush to endgame. Once that clicked on my buddies' heads the complaints died down and its mostly laughing about design decisions.

Game old and slow.

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug
got thief to 32 last night and unlocked BST. Plan is to take that to 25 or so and then use it as a sub job for all the other classes I want to level without investing a ton of gil in (ninja. i’m talking about ninja).

game fun.

bird.
Jun 20, 2010

first time playing this i kinda enjoy exploring the jank of old well-loved games like this, am halfway to level 16 with THF wondering if anyone has found a good linkshell to start doing group content w/ versus rolling the dice with randos who might be Gamers

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
I left Horizon and went back to retail. Having more fun on retail than dealing with some of the stupid balance changes they've made. Cleared Zilart and CoP in a few days.

Aisar
Mar 20, 2006

Don't look at the Batman. The Batman will steal your soul.
someone make a list of in game names and put it in the op :eyepop:

edit im tarns

Televisio Frankus
Jun 8, 2010
I'm in as Televisio, went RDM as usual in this game.

Tanners
Dec 13, 2011

woof
In as Tanners obviously, I’ll add any names yall post

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Am I really going to try this game for the first time in, like, 16 years?

Yes. gently caress.

Looking at info it seems a bit odd to be starting at CoP era but I guess they didn't want to go full masochistic with true american release state with RotZ

Mass murdering bees for starter class scrolls and weapons takes me way back.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Mar 1, 2023

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon

Tanners posted:

In as Tanners obviously, I’ll add any names yall post

Hopping in as Jenzar, WHM

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Guess I should have mentioned I'm about as Revanchism. The ingame friendslist doesn't work, unfortunately.

Same name on discord if you're in the horizons one.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Mar 3, 2023

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

I forgot how brutal this was. Fight a worm, rest 2 mins, fight a worm, rest 2 mins

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

I forgot how brutal this was. Fight a worm, rest 2 mins, fight a worm, rest 2 mins

Go for low xp mobs that don't require much rest in between instead.

Better yet, if you have a lv1 mob in your starting area that drops wind crystals level to 10 solely off that for a good 10k or so in gil. Fire crystals aren't as good but still decent money too. Doing that will set you up for getting scrolls/gear needed to do the 12-19 grind at least.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Mar 3, 2023

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

Rynoto posted:

Go for low xp mobs that don't require much rest in between instead.

Better yet, if you have a lv1 mob in your starting area that drops wind crystals level to 10 solely off that for a good 10k or so in gil. Fire crystals aren't as good but still decent money too. Doing that will set you up for getting scrolls/gear needed to do the 12-19 grind at least.

I'm in Bastok grinding bees, worms, vultures and bats...is it better to AH crystals or sell to vendors?

Anyone can hit me up in game if you're around Bastok

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

I'm in Bastok grinding bees, worms, vultures and bats...is it better to AH crystals or sell to vendors?

Anyone can hit me up in game if you're around Bastok

AH definitely. Vendor is generally useless except for some rare instances (fishing). Do buy your early gear and scrolls from vendors though as the AH generally has a convenience markup.

Grind those bees hard as a stack of wind crystals goes for ~1,2k which is a good early income.

And make sure to save your other crystals that are worth less for turning in to the guards for mission points.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Mar 3, 2023

PrinnySquad
Sep 20, 2008

It really isn't that complicated.
Been playing this for a bit as Doctorwizard, about to have to do genkai 1 as RDM and wallow in not being able to afford any NQ elemental staves atm.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

PrinnySquad posted:

Been playing this for a bit as Doctorwizard, about to have to do genkai 1 as RDM and wallow in not being able to afford any NQ elemental staves atm.

Need to get enough goons at 60 for BCNM profit sharing runs. Getting ore drops for beads is still such huge money right now.

PrinnySquad
Sep 20, 2008

Rynoto posted:

Need to get enough goons at 60 for BCNM profit sharing runs. Getting ore drops for beads is still such huge money right now.

Would definitely be down for some manner of BCNM profit sharing just to fund spells at the very least.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

Rynoto posted:

Hit 12 last night, i'm trying my best! haha

PrinnySquad
Sep 20, 2008

Any of you new folks coming in need help with sub job items or something just hmu and I'll get ya sorted.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

PrinnySquad posted:

Any of you new folks coming in need help with sub job items or something just hmu and I'll get ya sorted.

Ill take you up on this. Do we want to try and throw a LS together?

PrinnySquad
Sep 20, 2008

That or even just a small Discord if we wanted to schedule missions, BCNMs etc. or both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangthane
May 16, 2007
Be true, Unbeliever.
I'm in as Dathom, 44 DRK/22SAM. Was /WAR subjob but I wanted a little change of pace and it's been pretty alright. I'm poor as hell so I'm always looking to make a gil somewhere. Which leads into my advice of picking up fishing at 15. I read some garbage advice about it being expensive or whatever and it's just not. Grab a bamboo pole for 500 gil and a stack of little worms for like 400gil and you're good. Moat carps are a pretty solid 2.5k a stack and you can fund yourself for a long time fishing in and around the starter cities. I didn't do this, and I'm paying for it now that the crystal market crashed. Also, after selling your first stack of carp, buy a stack of insect paste for bait that isolates carp from crayfish.

Anyway if anyone wants to do something sometime or needs a DD for a group look me up. I'm playing most days.