Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
How is the level curve in this? Is it faster than base CoP was? Auction House pretty stocked so far for low level equipment?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
Me and a buddy are jumping in on this. Is thief still painful for a first job? I'm doing Red Mage for right now but plan on switching to Ranger and Summoner further down the line.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.

Jazerus posted:

thief feels a little anemic compared to warrior and monk early on but it's still a strong job and treasure hunter means you'll have an easier time with the various sidequest and mission hoops you have to jump through

My friend really wants to do Thief as his starting class so that's gunna be our combo. Maybe might make subjob unlock easier.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
Current plan is:
Me on Warrior until Subjob unlock, no idea what after that but I'll level bows during it. Buddy on Monk unto Subjob unlock then he's switching to Thief. Third player is doing Red Mage to subjob, then leveling White Mage to 30s then switching to Red Mage again.
I do not want to remain a tank but both friends are brand new players and I figured after getting some levels in they'd have more of an idea if they want to stick with it. Sub War isn't a bad thing to have in the long run.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
Watching people level off easy prey then switch to even fights and getting wrecked will never not be funny. Gotta work on your skills people. We all hit 7 last night and it's going alright. Managed to farm enough wind crystals to buy a full set of leather, a butterfly axe and some spells.

Likely going to skip dunes and do the dungeons instead for exp if Discord is anything to go by. Apperantly it had almost 300 people in it last night all complaining about not being able to kill things.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
We're thinking of doing Bubu for items then Gusgen to get the Magicked Skull then swing back to Bubu around 22ish. That's what I did back in the day. I don't actually have a fondness for Vulkrum.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
Yeah but then we have to Vulkram drops, not sure that'd be a positive experience for new players if the map is pretty much camped.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
Yeah, I got the items mixed up. It's been almost 20 years! If we don't wanna do the "wait until night and hope to get a spawn and a drop" we're still looking as Gusgen Mines as our best bet. Assuming it isn't camped to hell there too.

We've got a while though, only a few hours a night to play. Hoping to get them to mid teens tonight. Farmed up some spell money for the redmage and some equipment for the monk.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
Kinda sucks that people are focusing on level sync as a primary means of leveling. Was soloing in Bubu and level 36s at least we're syncd down to 20s.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
Sucks for those actually in the approximate level range in the zone those parties are saturating. Yagudo's zone, can't remember the name at the moment, which has a level range of 10 to 30 is covered in sync parties. I can pretty much run through the whole dungeon and not see a spawn other than the Bees. Ghelsba outpost is pretty bad too. There's definately more sync parties than actual level range parties pre-30.
Edit
Relatedly is there a glut of Whitemages? I parties with two WHM, one THF, one DRG and a RDM. Saw tons of solo WHM running around.

Kortel fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jan 22, 2023

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
Not sure about best but it's pretty stable compared to others, has not dipped under 2k players (it was 4.6k last night) and the class rebalancing feels pretty good so far. Auction House isn't super full but I've almost always found something for my levels. Thins out after 50 a bit but makes sense considering most the player base isn't doing high end content yet.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.

Rosemont posted:

How approachable is this game for new players? I've never played FF11 and while I missed most of the old school MMOs I'm always willing to give one a chance.

Game sucks for the first 20 levels for brand new players who have MMO experience. I'm walking two guys through right now and they get fed up with what should be simple ideas. The keyboard movement, clunky UI, no direction in-game to guide them is the most common complaints. Plus feeling weak for a dozen levels hurts.
Just tell anyone coming to join you this is pre-World of War craft and the game is designed as a journey and not a rush to endgame. Once that clicked on my buddies' heads the complaints died down and its mostly laughing about design decisions.

Game old and slow.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
I left Horizon and went back to retail. Having more fun on retail than dealing with some of the stupid balance changes they've made. Cleared Zilart and CoP in a few days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.

Disparition posted:

What difference does the nation make for characters if any?

Plot lines and changes up some cutscenes slightly. It also dictates what equipment you can purchase with Conquest points.
Not on Horizon but normal game you also start with a nation ring if starting with the nation's associated race.