Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I'm planning on playing this tomorrow as a newcomer to FFXI. I don't have much in the way of expectations, just thought it'd be fun to try it at launch when there's a lot of people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Lamare posted:

Just started up since it was so easy to setup. Totally new aswell to FFXI, got myself in Bastok. Oh my god the menuuuussssss what is thisssss

It does feel pretty populated for a private server. There's above 3.5k players online right now.

use a controller, this is extremely important.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

how are people making money? I haven't gotten a single thing worth selling while leveling to 10

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Fister Roboto posted:

Make sure you have Signet cast on you, that lets crystals drop from mobs and you get conquest points which can be traded for gear. Talk to one of the gate guards in your city.

oh, I didn't realize the conquest points were good for more stuff than the rings

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Lamare posted:

In Bastok at least, you can get 300gils for every five rusty buckets you fish out. That's how I got my starting money. You level up your fishing and some cooking at the same time. They actually manually turned off the Mom, the Adventurer? quest because people would turn in an insane amount of copper rings for 100gil each.

Also, the amount of starting gear from side quests in Bastok is pretty good. You can get a Rabbit Mantle (which is worth like 500 gil on AH) by simply turning a beef jerky to someone.

alright, next question. how do you get a fishing rod and everything

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Kongming posted:

Take this type of poo poo to their discord server with all the other sycophants, lmao. Pathetic.

have you been enjoying the free game

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Kongming posted:

You can like something but not like the people who run it. They're not beyond reproach because they're "unpaid volunteers". Get real.

but what are they doing, spiting you by taking the server down to fix it? they're running a huge, free game that takes constant maintenance. if you think it sucks, hit the bricks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I'm still like level 10 and gotta figure out what to do next