Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Am I really going to try this game for the first time in, like, 16 years?

Yes. gently caress.

Looking at info it seems a bit odd to be starting at CoP era but I guess they didn't want to go full masochistic with true american release state with RotZ

Mass murdering bees for starter class scrolls and weapons takes me way back.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Mar 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Guess I should have mentioned I'm about as Revanchism. The ingame friendslist doesn't work, unfortunately.

Same name on discord if you're in the horizons one.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Mar 3, 2023

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

I forgot how brutal this was. Fight a worm, rest 2 mins, fight a worm, rest 2 mins

Go for low xp mobs that don't require much rest in between instead.

Better yet, if you have a lv1 mob in your starting area that drops wind crystals level to 10 solely off that for a good 10k or so in gil. Fire crystals aren't as good but still decent money too. Doing that will set you up for getting scrolls/gear needed to do the 12-19 grind at least.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Mar 3, 2023

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

I'm in Bastok grinding bees, worms, vultures and bats...is it better to AH crystals or sell to vendors?

Anyone can hit me up in game if you're around Bastok

AH definitely. Vendor is generally useless except for some rare instances (fishing). Do buy your early gear and scrolls from vendors though as the AH generally has a convenience markup.

Grind those bees hard as a stack of wind crystals goes for ~1,2k which is a good early income.

And make sure to save your other crystals that are worth less for turning in to the guards for mission points.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Mar 3, 2023

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

PrinnySquad posted:

Been playing this for a bit as Doctorwizard, about to have to do genkai 1 as RDM and wallow in not being able to afford any NQ elemental staves atm.

Need to get enough goons at 60 for BCNM profit sharing runs. Getting ore drops for beads is still such huge money right now.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
If you want to break into money then yeah fishing is by far the best route.

Leveling to 11 purely off bees for wind crystals will get you the money to pick up a Carbon rod + the insect balls which lets you start making a good 20k per hour from a decent hole. Then from there you can either continue fishing or turn around and buy a full gathering clothing set and go logging/mining, selling the higher level resources and using the low level stuff for crafting which will push you up into the 40k per hour pretty quickly. Logging will get you going faster than mining but leveling smithing/goldcrafting is generally better profits. - Do not do any gathering without the gathering set as tool breakage is a profit killer and also really annoying.

Mining/Logging does require combat job leveling alongside it before profits really start to soar though. (Mining/Logging have no actual skill level so it's purely dependent on zones you can access without getting aggroed on)

Mob drop farming is only realistically viable as a thief from treasure hunter while crafting is the key to infinite wealth if you can get high enough skill. BCNM lottery can also be viable but is limited by beast coins.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Mar 7, 2023

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Gorson posted:

This server does have empress/emperor bands, you buy them with conquest points from a gate knight, equip it, then use it like an item to give a small xp bonus. The bands can be recharged once a week (presumably, I haven't got all the rules of this server down yet).

There's also the Chariot band which has been heavily buffed on this server. Recharging rings is once per conquest cycle (week) by trading it to a gate guard which deducts CP per charge recharged.

You can get a free exp ring from a short beginner's quest which only requires getting to ~lv4 which saves you a decent chunk of beginning conquest points.

I'll add onto the other advice posted by saying that some quests require regional reputation levels which is gained through questing. Don't try and do this through normal quests and instead buy Millioncorn off the vendor for a Selbina quest which gives both Bastok and Sandy (and Jeuno) rep while doing Cornettes in Windurst which gives Windy, Kazham, and Jeuno fame.

A side effect of having more reputation is that most things cost cheaper from vendors, sometimes significantly, which can be useful for reselling to the AH or just for grinding.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Mar 7, 2023

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Gorson posted:

E: I also forgot about that cornettes one. Like most I always roll SD I bet there are very few people in the windurst starting areas farming these and silk.

The cornettes can be bought in Bastok for cheap and you don't need many. Right now is the perfect time to do it as Bastok has the rank for it and they're only very slightly more expensive than the quest reward pay out.

Using your other two character slots to have lv1 alts in the other two starting cities gives you both access to the regional and loyalty specific vendors/sales and AH for trading back and forth with your main making this even easier.

Maxing all the major reputations right now would only cost a few thousand gil after you account for rewards if you're smart with vendors. The bigger cost is the hour or two of your time.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Mar 7, 2023

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Gorson posted:

Haven't partied yet, please tell me people skillchain and MB on this server :pray:

Regularly once you get 20s, at least. Parties are generally very efficient here.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Yeah, we should throw a shell together. There seems to be 10-12 of us so it would be nice!

Give an appropriately goony name and I'll throw gil at one. They're not that expensive.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

I"m not good at this

Neither am I which is why the hope of someone more clever coming up with one.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

PrinnySquad posted:

AbsolutePedantry

This was too good and gave me horrific flashbacks so:

/tell Revanchism for a pearl. I'll make sure everyone gets a bag so you can then invite whoever.

Will be on for a while today.

Jenzar has a bag as well now so bother them.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Mar 7, 2023

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Gorson posted:

I forgot how good this game looks with the resolution cranked at 60fps. I also forgot just how much the sand of Valkurm will try to burn your eyeballs out.

I'm in Selbina trading corn, if anyone is willing to come down I could use some SJ items.

Gweenz is now sacked as well for people trying to join.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Mar 8, 2023

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Freakazoid_ posted:

How's the class balance on this server? Any particularly good or bad classes or class combos?

BST was massively overbuffed but is slowly being worked back. Still incredibly strong and easy. SMN is quite good as well with buffs. Some classes were nerfed a bit here and there but outside the outlier of BST everything is within viable range of each other.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
We still got a few active goons about and the server itself is very healthy with 2-3k online at all times. Always need more people if you want to experience oldffxi.

First major patch, 1.1, is scheduled for the 31st.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Freakazoid_ posted:

Decided to give this server a whirl for the nostalgia rush... except they completely butchered the music! It sounds like they passed midi arrangements of the original through some software to make them sound more orchestrated. Is there a way to get the original music back??

HorizonXI\Game\polplugins\DATs\horizonmusic is the custom music folder if you want to delete it
For a less destructive approach then
HorizonXI\Game\config\pivot\pivot.ini, delete 0=horizonmusic, move everything up 1 slot, save, then make read-only.

And make sure to join the LS! We're very helpful and not at all insane.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Mar 14, 2023

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Gorson posted:

Most parties will SC and MB which is great. Faster XP, more fun.

MB and SC being heavily buffed is one of the changes I most enjoy, emphasizing working together.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
With the current LS members we would have PLD, WHM, RDM/BLM/SMN, and 2x THF able to do the basic promies so could go for it this weekend.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Fangthane posted:

Not terribly long. I hear some ARPG beta opens today so might have smaller numbers on the server for the weekend too.

Re: Promys. I also need to do these. I am a grade -A newbie in FF11 and anything after getting my chocobo license has been a research project. So I really don't know much about them except they require special consumables that you need drops to make which can be bought but alas I am poor so I thought I'd have a hell of a time getting them done. I'd be down for this weekend if something kicks off though! I also need to grab a linkpearl soon. Been putting it off.

I'll be on after maint if you want a pearl, it's real easy.

For the animas they're not strictly required but do make it easier.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Gorson posted:

We are tentatively planning some hot hot promy action today, if you have any interest in this message me, Revanchism, or Doctorwizard.

Ideally we'll get some people in early, farm recollections, then progress.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

what are all those addons?

HXUI. Minimap, the equipscreen, and timers are all through the launcher.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
The only LB1 item that took more than a few kills per drop was, weirdly, the one from Crawler's Nest. So much better than retail was.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
We're going to be taking another shot at getting Promyvions done this weekend if any of you all want to join. Already have a decent amount of Animas and can drag people who have never done it through as long as you're lv30.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
Sad to see you go!

And everyone is welcome to the LS - it's painless to join and we can help you with whatever. A few of us are into the 50-60+ range now for doing missions/lb/af/etc.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
On discord they announced the first big patch, 1.1, has been delayed for two weeks. It does also hint that next week we'll have the easter event, though.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

bird. posted:

Wait is there a goon community now for this game I can play w/? I got thief up to about as far as you could go singleplayer but struggled to find other players

Yes! We have our own linkshell that stays decently active with a few people on at most hours! We always wants more.

Contacting Revanchism (me), Gweenz, or Dathom is generally your best bet for a quick pearl.

Currently ingame right now.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Yeah even later levels people still don't care if you're efficiently gear swapping or have TheBestEquipment. As long as you get your AF and keep your weapons up to date then most people won't give a single poo poo - just use food, do SC's and be smart about enmity and no one will say a thing.

Acc food is by far the most important thing for a melee DD over most equipment.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Apr 4, 2023

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Carmant posted:

So apparently version "1.1" is coming very soon. Is anything known about what's in it?

Next week on the 14th and nothing concrete. Dropped hints about class balancing (bst likely, polearms maybe) but otherwise it's mostly silent. The important conquest change went through before last reset which I believe was initially part of the update .

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

PrinnySquad posted:

Anyone else interested in coordinating some Amphibian Assault runs?

It's a very easy bcnm - Tank + BLM + Support + 3 DD trivializes it and there's usually a good chunk of people willing to run it because it's such great money. Just have to make sure at least one person has a paintbrush and lantern.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

What's the minimum level? Never did a BCNM but willing to if I can help

Amphibian Assault is a BCNM60 so lv60 cap and 60 seals per orb. It's run specifically because it has a guaranteed drop of one elemental ore which is used to make the elemental staves. The cheapest ore drop is ~90k with the highest being ~450k with the average gain per run being ~250k

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Apr 12, 2023

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Freakazoid_ posted:

Those drop rates sound abysmal. I thought about doing UO for the peacock charm but not anymore! Might as well save them for AA.

PCC is absolutely worth doing for all melee and is an endgame item along with OHat. Increasing accuracy is one the best dps increases as it also allows for more WS usage.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Apr 13, 2023

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
The screeching about the removal of bestial loyalty is incredible. It's not even a huge nerf while the 75 popular jug pet getting nerfed is at least more substantial. Like oh no they'll actually have to use charm, or pay for jugs.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Apr 14, 2023

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
Some bugfixes today in the patch but an interesting change for all you melee lovers:
• Bounding Boots drop rate from the BCNM Petrifying Pair has been increased to 20% from 10%.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It's particularly weird and a bit funny because some BCNMs allow multiple parties at once, now. Like, 60AA (and the other there) allows multiple parties even though there's a (rare) bug where someone will appear inside your instance from outside your party if both parties are entering at the same time.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Kongming posted:

When Adventuring Fellow quest was released like 15 years ago you had to do a solo battle at the hut in Ghelsba and there's pics floating around of people lining up around the zone to get into the hut. Wish I had it on hand lol

I was in that line on phoenix. It was honestly a really fun time.

Never even bothered leveling the thing though.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
Server is quickly hitting the phase where all except the hardest-to-craft NQ items are dropping swiftly in price as people swap to crafting for (and buying) HQ.

A very good source of money from seals still remains BCNM60 AA (100k minimum, ~300k average per run) while KSNM30 ODS is also becoming quite lucrative to run for rare crafting resources if you're more fighty. The seed money from these can be used to raise a craft if you're not a HELMer which is the ideal long-term solution for gil.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Apr 25, 2023

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

PrinnySquad posted:

I'm always surprised at how short and kinda poo poo Zilart is, especially compared to the behemoth that is CoP a few years later.

I will say I prefer how quickly you can blitz through ZMs to get to Sky compared to CoP and its endless timewasting tedium of the non-dungeon/boss fights.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Fangthane posted:

Later I understand you pretty much just open/close skill chains and maintain buffs but at these low levels there seems to be a lot more gaps where...I guess I just let my pet wail on the mob too?

Yeah. From 20~50 you're either bursting with another SMN for BLM burns or just doing DPS/pulling. After that you should have most of the important buffs and can also do bursts for WHM burns or buff for normal parties.

I need to actually play more. Stalled out for a while and have barely been around more than an hour every few days. Everything always takes too much time.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 08:09 on May 18, 2023

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Send me your gil when you quit ;P

Hah. I only have a few hundred thousand liquid with the rest tied up in items. Most of the 'account value' is lost forever in scrolls :shepicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
Smithing is only slightly better than GSmithing but both will require massive gil investments (10-20m+, at least and depending on failsynth luck) to breakthrough into the high end profit. Even then though you'll still be operating mostly on commission crafting and will take occasional losses - which you should offset by having a 'guarantee' fee for those failsynths.