Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
How's the class balance on this server? Any particularly good or bad classes or class combos?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Decided to give this server a whirl for the nostalgia rush... except they completely butchered the music! It sounds like they passed midi arrangements of the original through some software to make them sound more orchestrated. Is there a way to get the original music back??

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I think it got it working now, thanks. It's vital to my experience that the music is era accurate.

Also it feels really weird that I've leveled to 10 without buying or equipping a single piece of gear outside of what I started with.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I farmed goblins for the first 20 levels or so. They drop a variety of stuff that's worth 300-1000 gil each and there's not a lot of competition for them, you can find them both in west and east ronfaure, more in the west than east but the east has more goblin fishers.

After 20 though, it's not enough. But by then I resolved to hit 32 with what I had, because that's when you can mine most of the yughott grotto, and I'm glad I did. I spent all day at it and made close to 100k, which I promptly spent on catching up on gear and gobbie bag upgrades.

Since then I try to mine every day. There's always something to spend your money on.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I guess it's not unexpected to run into grognards on a retro private server, but my experience with them has been minimal so far. I run a war/thf and nobody has given me poo poo for my gear choice. I literally went 32 levels without any earrings, belt or cape. I did keep my weapon and armor reasonably up to date.

For the most part I just hit thing hard from behind and skillchain. Nobody cared that I didn't eat food or didn't swap gear mid fight, in fact I have yet to see ANY of the latter. Somebody started caring not long after I began eating food (mid 30's, cheap +str meat) and they told me to eat a different food (expensive +acc sushi). They gave me half a stack of theirs.

There was one time I was asked to pre-tank, basically just start with provoke on a pull until the thief positions themselves behind the real tank to do their trick attack thing, it's supposed to displace the aggro the thief would've done onto the main tank. It sort of worked I guess, but the actual tank could've just plain old tanked and I don't think anything would've been different.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Those drop rates sound abysmal. I thought about doing UO for the peacock charm but not anymore! Might as well save them for AA.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
They buffed a set of level 45 armor just as I got that level last night, how nice of them.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
When you say digging, do you mean excavating? Or is chocobo digging considered part of HELM?

Either way, I'd appreciate someone putting up an effort post on money making and overall server economics.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I totally understand not getting into synthing. Most of them require a big investment before you ever see returns.

If you have to get into it, Cooking is probably the least bad. Initial investment isn't too high and you can start making money back with selbina butter. Not big returns, but they're consistent.

As has always been the case with MMOs, the real money makers are either in the gathering of resources or crafting end-game gear.

That said, I did pick up smithing/goldsmithing so that I could have some flexibility playing the ore/ingot market. This hasn't worked out as well as I had hoped, but a recent spike in copper/bronze ingot prices has helped make up what I have invested so far. Not looking forward to the iron/silver grind, especially because iron's profit margin isn't any better than copper or bronze.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

kaempfer0080 posted:

How is Horizon doing? I stopped playing around late March and I'm thinking about logging in again. I've got DRK and SAM at around 60.

From my perspective having joined around the time you stopped playing, it feels like I just missed the train. There's a bunch of players now who have sky access and getting a 63+ xp group outside of sky is uncommon. I've halted leveling for the past two weeks or so trying to get sky access. I've been stuck on ZM5 for most of that time, having only completed it last night, largely due to a lack of relevant players who need it.

The market fluctuations are pretty annoying, but with higher level gear coming down in price a bit, I expect to grab some of that good stuff pretty soon.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Disparition posted:

Started with the Hume City, I'm having some hard time navigating based on the map but so far it seems challenging and sweet. I only played FFXIV so it's my first time trying it.

So far I am doing the quests and exploring the world, any tips for a starter?

The best starting tip is doing the intro quest npc. They aren't going to have a quest marker, but they should be nearby where you first entered the game. It'll take a while to complete but it will eventually reward you with an xp boost ring that you can recharge once a week. This will make those early levels fly by.

If/when you play a melee class, type /partyinfo showtp on. This will display your party member's tp, which is useful for coordinating skillchains.

Also consider using some of the addons. allmaps is practically a necessity. checker will be useful if you're on pulling duty. Some goons swear by some UI overhaul, but I never felt I needed it.

In my personal opinion, sandy is the only starting city that feels like it had something resembling proper city planning. Just about every high foot traffic spot is wide and flat, almost like they expected people to actually walk back and forth between important locations! Not all of those important locations got that treatment, in particular the somewhat narrow alleyway to the outpost warp npc, but compared to bastok and windy, it's practically Vienna.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I would not object at all if the limit break quests were removed. They're a part of the nostalgia but at some point that has to negatively affect server growth.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
It's not hard to make gear that is completely bonkers because gear progression in classic FFXI is extremely scattershot. Even end-game gear has some wasted stats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

Did Freakazoid and Gweenz throw in the towel too?

Pretty much. I don't like FFXI's end-game, I just wanted to make it to cap and I nearly quit twice on the way there.