Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lamare
Mar 7, 2014

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I'm planning on playing this tomorrow as a newcomer to FFXI. I don't have much in the way of expectations, just thought it'd be fun to try it at launch when there's a lot of people

Just started up since it was so easy to setup. Totally new aswell to FFXI, got myself in Bastok. Oh my god the menuuuussssss what is thisssss

It does feel pretty populated for a private server. There's above 3.5k players online right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamare
Mar 7, 2014
The game is honestly glorious in all it's jankyness and weirdness. Fished buckets and rings and sometimes fishes out of the sewers of the Bastok Mines while chatting about the ideal height of lalas taru-tarus. Gave a full party a try and got to level 10 in like 30 minutes while having a shitload of items drop from the insane respawn rate outside the city gates. My Mog House storage is flooded with crystals. Had a silly quest to do a Gustaberg Tour and our group walked in line to get our well earned 500 gils.

People are talking about min-maxing and all I see are hilarious stories to be made on an old outdated MMO. I'm not following a guide, or using a controller, or using common sense. This private server owns.

Lamare
Mar 7, 2014

Countblanc posted:

Dumb question but what even is FFXI fishing?

grieving for Gandalf posted:

how are people making money? I haven't gotten a single thing worth selling while leveling to 10

In Bastok at least, you can get 300gils for every five rusty buckets you fish out. That's how I got my starting money. You level up your fishing and some cooking at the same time. They actually manually turned off the Mom, the Adventurer? quest because people would turn in an insane amount of copper rings for 100gil each.

Also, the amount of starting gear from side quests in Bastok is pretty good. You can get a Rabbit Mantle (which is worth like 500 gil on AH) by simply turning a beef jerky to someone.

Lamare
Mar 7, 2014

Carmant posted:

So they reduced the spawn rate for Bogy's in Buburimu, but something went wrong so right now Bogy's are spawning with the Goblin dat and Goblin loot table. So RIP anyone trying to get their subjob until whenever they fix that lol.

Server has been mostly stable.. but they do seem to majorly break something every time they adjust anything at all. Maybe that's how all servers are at the beginning though.

https://imgur.com/a/V1tKwDO

Finally got a skull from Gusgen right before the server crashed. It's been like this all evening after maintenance. I think they might have gotten overwhelmed by the surprising popularity they're getting at the moment. It was above 4.2k.

Lamare fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Dec 23, 2022