Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moofia Boss Val
May 14, 2021

I got the game for PS2 way back when, but ACE Online was my main MMO at the time so I didn't stick with it. I had a lot of fun with this private server during the first three weeks. Surprises me that modern MMOs don't have robust tools for assembling your own party like FFXI does. You can type /sea all players online and then input search parameters and then whisper people and ask them if they want to come join your party. But the game is just too time consuming. It takes 30-40 minutes to get to a grind spot, and then you might have to wait for other party members to arrive. Then you grind for 2 to 3 hours (sometimes 4), and then you have to get back to town because you don't have warp rings. And then you're looking at doing this all at least TWICE because you also need to level a subjob, or you want to switch to an advanced job that you couldn't start the game as. And then you have to go do a lot of detour unlocks, like spending three hours farming for gaussbit grass for chocobo rentals or Kazham keys for the airship to Kazham or magicked skulls for your subjob. After I returned to Kazham from the jungle having dinged 35 DRG/30 WAR, I opened up guides and took a look at just how much was still ahead of me... and decided to stop. Given the time sensitive nature of private servers (vast majority die off within a couple years, either due to interest dropoff or dev team instability/mismanagement, and this server is exhibiting signs of the latter), if you want to play one you want to play ASAP, but I would have to be unemployed to reach endgame within the next few months while the server would still probably be alive.

Prism posted:

It's also the biggest free MMO server I've ever been on.

I feel that Ascension WoW might be bigger, not sure. But yeah, Horizon seems really big right now.

Moofia Boss Val fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Jan 9, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moofia Boss Val
May 14, 2021

Glagha posted:

You can bitch about the game as much as you want I got loving black screen shadow realmed multiple times last night

I got that during my first week of play too but found a patch on the discord. You download it, open the .exe, target the Horizon.exe, run the patch, and then you're done. Never loaded into black voids again. IIRC it's a 8 GB ram patch or something, don't recall the name of it.

Moofia Boss Val
May 14, 2021

Kortel posted:

Likely going to skip dunes and do the dungeons instead for exp if Discord is anything to go by. Apperantly it had almost 300 people in it last night all complaining about not being able to kill things.

You should have been there the first two weeks. 500+ people in Dunes. Dunes kept crashing every 30-45 minutes. The upside was that if you logged in fast enough after a crash, you could assemble a group with other people who just logged in and go move into a now unoccupied camp you wanted, rather than being forced to settle for a lesser camp.

The alternative to Dunes is Buburimu Peninsula, which is less populated but you will still have competition for camps. If you are a new player, Dunes and Buburimu should be the places you are grinding at for levels 10-20. The mobs there drop items you need for your subjob unlock. Hit two birds with one stone. There is no point levelling past level 20 in another zone and then realizing "whoops! I need my subjob items!" and then going back to Dunes or Buburimu joining farm parties but since you're overlevelled you will be getting poor EXP. On this server level sync works differently. If you are 10 levels higher than the level sync target, you get hit with escalating EXP reductions, up to 50% less exp.

Moofia Boss Val
May 14, 2021

Kortel posted:

Kinda sucks that people are focusing on level sync as a primary means of leveling. Was soloing in Bubu and level 36s at least we're syncd down to 20s.

Parties syncing is more economical for a packed playerbase. A party of 6 players fighting one mob for one minute is more efficient than one player fighting one mob for 30 seconds and then tagging another mob. The more people party together, the more people can get EXP. If too many people solo then there aren't enough mobs.

Moofia Boss Val
May 14, 2021

Rosemont posted:

How approachable is this game for new players? I've never played FF11 and while I missed most of the old school MMOs I'm always willing to give one a chance.

Pretty approachable. The game isn't hard at all, it's just incredibly time consuming to progress through the game. Levels 1-10 just autoattack mobs in the starter zone. After level 10 you either want to turn your party flag on so you get invited to EXP parties (you get invites the fastest as a tank or a healer), or you can easily form your own parties by typing /sea all inv 10-13 to get a list of players who are invite flagged levels 10-13. Once you're in a party you go find an appropriate spot to farm mobs for hours and hours. If you have to leave soon then inform the party leader and ask if you should find a replacement for yourself or if he will do it. Every so often you will want to detour from partying to go do other stuff, like at level 20 you go farm 4 gaussbit grass from wadi hares and turn them to unlock chocobo rentals, or at level 20 you go to Gusgen Mines and farm skeletons for magicked skulls so you can unlock the ability to equip a subjob, etc. It took my 200 hours of playtime to reach level 35 Dragoon/30 Warrior.

For combat, if you are DPS, you're going to be clicking an ability about once a minute. It gets a little faster as you get to higher levels and unlock more abilities but generally it's leisurely gameplay. You can alt+tab out during combat a lot while you're autoattacking and waiting for your ability to come off cooldown. If you are a healer then you are going to be using Cure spells as necessary, otherwise you're usually kneeling to regen MP. Tank uses provoke and maybe a few other abilities he has unlocked to try to maintain enmity.

Money is really hard to come by. Don't spend gil on armor unless you're a tank. Otherwise, spend on upgrading your weapon and buying spells. If you talk to your country's gate guards, they will cast a buff called signet on you, which converts a small portion of EXP your earn from killing mobs into conquest points, which you can spend on gear. This really helps. If you have equipped all of the gear you can get through CP then you should be selling CP gear on the auction house to make extra gil.

If you get crystals, don't throw them away (unless they're fire crystals in which case they can sell for a decent amount of money on the AH). Save them so you can turn them into the gate guards so you can increase your nation rank and progress through the nation storyline.

Moofia Boss Val fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jan 24, 2023