Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Between the server being unable to stay online or them being unable to fix something without breaking something else, and the "balance" decisions they've made, I'm beginning to think these admins don't know what they're doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Glagha posted:

It's almost like a bunch of unpaid volunteers are managing a free game built on top of old rear end software with a bunch of bloat and other features crowbarred out to make it work standalone with their own code bolted on while a bunch of entitled armchair devs scratch their asses and spit hot takes from the sidelines.

Take this type of poo poo to their discord server with all the other sycophants, lmao. Pathetic.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

You can like something but not like the people who run it. They're not beyond reproach because they're "unpaid volunteers". Get real.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

I'm playing PLD as well because they're really good. Don't like the club META (Most Effective Tactic Available) that's developing around them, though. But hell, the devs know more than I do! They have 1400 years of combined FFXI experience, after all.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Bloody Robes have a good drop rate if you can handle ghosts. It was actually preferable to do robes when the server launched because skull drop rate was so bad and ghouls were in short supply.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

I think you have it backwards. Bloody Robe is the Mhaura side, Skull is the Selbina side.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Everywhere is going to be saturated because there's still like 4k people online at peak times. Trying to find your own little niche to level in is going to be extremely difficult if not impossible. Competing for spawns is part of the XI experience, anyway.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

I'm a staunch opponent of selling any quested spell scrolls. The allure is strong but you might just end up screwing yourself over later. Watch yourself spend that 150k in 5 minutes and now you're totally boned if you want to level NIN down the line.

My honest to god advice is get THF to at least 15 and find something easy to farm. Beehive chips drop like crazy if you have TH and they sell well. I just kill crawlers and bees in Sarutabaruta if I need an emergency cash infusion, but I also have crafting to fall back on. But I'm considering going all-in on fishing right now, as my crafts are not selling well lately. I just throw on some old MST3K episodes and fish for a while.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Jazerus posted:

i went all in on crafting and eventually made a lot of money that way, but it also burnt me out so hard i'm taking a month or two off. so ymmv on that one. it's pretty trivial to make cash with crafting if you've ever been a market guy on EVE and are willing to occasionally update a spreadsheet with raw material prices, as the FFXI market is very irrational and the limited price history interface favors crafters who have a consistent idea of how much an item costs to make vs buyers who don't

It's hard to craft and also play the game at the same time lol. I'm 60+ bonecraft and working on fishing now too and my highest level job is only 32. The crafting and market game is fun in its own way, though.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Gorson posted:

On this version of the game I'm finding TP gain is most important because with the bonuses to magic bursts parties are looking to skillchain. This means prioritizing accuracy over straight damage

I mean ideally you should have a TP set that prioritizes haste/accuracy and a WS set that prioritizes damage stats. That's kind of how the game works. Gearswap (or whatever the ashita equivalent is called) is packaged in the launcher even. I'm not saying you need a full set of each but at least swap between accuracy rings and strength rings or something.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Freakazoid_ posted:

I guess it's not unexpected to run into grognards on a retro private server, but my experience with them has been minimal so far. I run a war/thf and nobody has given me poo poo for my gear choice. I literally went 32 levels without any earrings, belt or cape. I did keep my weapon and armor reasonably up to date.

For the most part I just hit thing hard from behind and skillchain. Nobody cared that I didn't eat food or didn't swap gear mid fight, in fact I have yet to see ANY of the latter. Somebody started caring not long after I began eating food (mid 30's, cheap +str meat) and they told me to eat a different food (expensive +acc sushi). They gave me half a stack of theirs.

There was one time I was asked to pre-tank, basically just start with provoke on a pull until the thief positions themselves behind the real tank to do their trick attack thing, it's supposed to displace the aggro the thief would've done onto the main tank. It sort of worked I guess, but the actual tank could've just plain old tanked and I don't think anything would've been different.

These things don't matter that much at lower levels but they start mattering a lot more when your gear options expand at later levels and endgame. Food though you can eat meat jerky which you can buy for 600 gil a stack from a vendor and see a noticeable increase in damage so there's really no excuse to not eat food. It's a button you push once every 30 minutes.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

It's maintenance, they're applying the 1.1 patch.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Yeah instances weren't a thing in FFXI until ToAU and even then they can't handle a lot of people doing instances. Doing Omen on retail on the populated servers during primetime takes forever.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

I didn't realize the lizard one was at the Ghelsba hut. Yeah that sucks. The other BCNM zones like the ones you do the Dragon fight in for rank 3 actually have multiple copies of the same area that you can't see so yes it can support multiple parties even though it's not instanced. But the hut doesn't have that luxury.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

When Adventuring Fellow quest was released like 15 years ago you had to do a solo battle at the hut in Ghelsba and there's pics floating around of people lining up around the zone to get into the hut. Wish I had it on hand lol

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Freakazoid_ posted:

When you say digging, do you mean excavating? Or is chocobo digging considered part of HELM?

Either way, I'd appreciate someone putting up an effort post on money making and overall server economics.

Here's all the ways I'm aware of to make gil. All of these involve some form of effort.

1. Farming enemy drops - Probably the most straightforward way to make cash. Just kill poo poo and sell what it drops. Treasure Hunter helps a lot with this so I recommend at the very least subbing THF as a 30+ job to gain access to it if you're not a THF yourself. Raw materials tend to sell quickly but obtaining them can be time consuming, you may have to deal with competition for your mobs, and you are limited by what you can reliably kill depending on your job/level. I recommend this to people who are starting out or need a quick cash infusion.

2. Camping NMs with big money drops - If you can claim it and get the drop you are looking at a big payout but I personally dislike this as a way of making money. Competition can be fierce, drop rates can be bad, and spawn times can be long. There's no guarantee that you can even claim the NM let alone get the drop so you can be investing hours for no payout.

3. Fishing - You catch fish and sell them to NPC with a few exceptions where they sell on the AH. Problems with this method are the time investment is massive to reach a point where you can start raking in gil. You also need a Lu Shang's to really make a killing fishing which is another massive time/gil investment. So if you go the fishing route you're probably going to be doing nothing BUT fishing for a good long time.

4. Crafting - Like fishing this is a great way to make money but the time investment is large plus the additional gil investment in skilling up your craft. You also need a good handle on what is profitable to craft and be willing to spend a lot of time at the AH. Some crafts are also easier and cheaper to skill up than others but may have less profitable synths once you skill it up. Going this route requires significant research and good sense on what people want to buy from you.

5. HELM, Chocobo Digging, and BCNMs - I do not have as much knowledge on these as the others. I will say that Chocobo Digging is another massive time investment with little payout until you reach a high enough skill (yes, there is a hidden chocobo digging skill). HELM I don't engage in at all and BCNMs I haven't done any on this server.

Personally, I go the crafting route and I've reached a point where I have a steady income that I continue to dump into the craft to skill it up. To reach a point where you can get steady income like this I'd say you need to be at the very least 50 skill, 60+ ideally, but this again varies with the craft. I'm currently 70 Bonecraft with 60 Leathercraft and a few other subs in the teens and I have several money making synths that I can cycle through reliably with HQs.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Mercury_Storm posted:

Is there a way I can just play this on a private server of my own to skip all the grinding and just see the content?

If you mean just doing story stuff then yes. You can set up your own test server like so: https://gitlab.com/ffxiwings/wings/-/wikis/Server-Installation-Guide

And then just use GM commands to make yourself invincible/speedhack/wallhack/warp to your heart's content.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Windy has the worst Auction House placement relative to mog houses. I formed this opinion due to bonecraft guild being in windy. Getting my money from sales while listing more stuff sucks the most in windurst. In Bastok Mines and Port Sandy the auction house is really close to MH entrance.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

I started playing again the other day but I mostly just sit in Windurst Woods and craft. Almost 80 bonecraft :cheers: Probably going to stall out at 82 or so until they add ToAU and some more sane recipes start showing up in that range.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

I got tired of it when I realized I didn't want to engage with any part of the game that wasn't sitting in Windurst and crafting at the AH, so when that became tedious to me I gave up. Doesn't help that most items are completely pointless to craft for profit on this server due to volume and undercutting. You're better off farming drops. I am proud that I managed to nearly get to 90 bonecraft and cleaned out most of the GP items.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Orty posted:

I have no clue why but I started playing recently just for the nostalgia hit. Been soloing as a THF at level 12 so far. Aiming to main Bard if I make it that far.

Been a bit fun but also difficult scrounging up gil for gear and dealing with killing things without any sub job bonuses.

Honestly if you want some gil to start out I'm not playing anymore and I have about 300k banked so I could throw like 50k your way.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Orty posted:

That would help out quite a bit, I'm somewhat making do so far. Just wouldn't want them to flag for RMT which not sure why they would on such a small amount.

Give me your character name and I can either dbox it to you or trade with you in person, I can get to any city reasonably quickly since I have most OP warps and an airship pass.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Orty posted:

Rizlona if you want to dbox it. Really appreciate the bump to help out getting started!

It's sent. Figures I chose to log out in the middle of Giddeus when I quit...

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

I started playing with a friend again shortly after I last posted in this thread lol

You may find me fishing all day while I watch old MST3K episodes. Only 3520 moat carp until Lu Shang's!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Orty posted:

I've still been playing here or there getting most of the starting jobs to 15 before taking THF to 30.

Only done one group so far which went great and got me to 20 and my sub job quest items. So I now have a chocobo and my sub job. Just aiming for 30 now to unlock BRD and DRG and whatever else I need for paired sub jobs. And I guess Rank 3 Windurst so I can use the Jeuno outpost warp goblins.

Let me know if you want that 50k paid back. It helped quite a bit to get me geared up to make the bulk of the soloing I did to 18 not painful.

Nah it's cool, it was a gift after all. I'm less than 1k moat carp to Lu Shang's now so the gil will start flowing soon.