Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

It's also funny that they signed potter and his scouting team because of their eye for a bargain and then did the opposite of that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

TheRat posted:

Oh come the gently caress on. Pep has two squads of starters and can't "totally dominate the PL", let alone win the CL.

I'm gonna be laughed at for this but actually our first team squad is looking comparatively sparse these days, we have 19 senior outfield players, which includes Cole Palmer with 13 and Rico Lewis with 8 league appearances to their names. The only proper fullbacks we have now are Walker, Rico Lewis and Sergio Gomez

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
How much are brighton going to be selling this lot to chelsea for in a few seasons

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Butterfly Valley posted:

I'm gonna be laughed at for this but actually our first team squad is looking comparatively sparse these days, we have 19 senior outfield players, which includes Cole Palmer with 13 and Rico Lewis with 8 league appearances to their names. The only proper fullbacks we have now are Walker, Rico Lewis and Sergio Gomez

We're actually all enjoying your players downing tools and leaving.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

Butterfly Valley posted:

alvarez can do a job at left back

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall in whatever executive meeting Chelsea had where they approved spending three quarters of a billion pounds on “idk whoever” and “maybe players other teams are trying to buy.”

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

It's also funny that they signed potter and his scouting team because of their eye for a bargain and then did the opposite of that

deletebeepbeepbeep
Nov 12, 2008

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Yeah and they also had to pay Brighton £22m.

I still think Potter will come good though and will end up being there for several years.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

blue footed boobie posted:

I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall in whatever executive meeting Chelsea had where they approved spending three quarters of a billion pounds on “idk whoever” and “maybe players other teams are trying to buy.”

one fifth of a billion pounds pounds on a guy who's never played outside the Ukrainian league and a guy who had some good games at the World Cup

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

vyelkin posted:

looking at how much money they've lost on some of the players they sold this season is also eye-opening. Rudiger signed for €35m and left on a free. Batshuayi signed for €39m and left for 3.5. Jorginho signed for €57m and left for 12. Timo Werner signed for €53m and left for 20.

I have to assume there’s some kind of tax avoidance strategy behind this for Boehly. Show a big loss this year and then have a bunch of massive overpriced assets you can depreciate over the next 10 years.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

to be fair, they got 100+ games out of Rudiger and Jorginho and moved them on when they were old

the rest is the perils of signing Bundesliga players and man who shoots the ball into he own face

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

FullLeatherJacket posted:

and man who shoots the ball into he own face

You're only supposed to do that against Chelsea

https://i.imgur.com/qJAsMNM.mp4

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

FullLeatherJacket posted:

to be fair, they got 100+ games out of Rudiger and Jorginho and moved them on when they were old

the rest is the perils of signing Bundesliga players and man who shoots the ball into he own face

Rudiger is 29 and currently starting for Real Madrid

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

vyelkin posted:

Rudiger is 29 and currently starting for Real Madrid

exactly

David Bentley was retired by then

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
Meanwhile Thiago Silva is pushing 40 and getting a new contract? Hmm

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

still the best defender in the world

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

T Bowl posted:

Meanwhile Thiago Silva is pushing 40 and getting a new contract? Hmm

He's their best signing and he was free

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

vyelkin posted:

He's their best signing and he was free

Damning with faint praise indeed.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Wondering why the club wasn’t 100% focused on the Rudiger renewal at the time.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://twitter.com/kbaxter11/status/1620908462120255494?s=20&t=wn6JQGK80YUKu8sINIoSGA

VAR strikes again

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

hear me out

but maybe barca should stop signing players, because they don't seem very good at it

EC10
Jan 17, 2005

We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like NIN---PO!
everton taking their 40 million payout for a sale and not buying anyone while theyre on 15 points in january is not a good look for the owners

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID

EC10 posted:

everton taking their 40 million payout for a sale and not buying anyone while theyre on 15 points in january is not a good look for the owners

Not as bad a look as it's gonna be when they enter administration in the next couple years.

Christ, it's not often I go to bat for the US franchise ownership model and even less often I stand up for the loving salary cap, but if nothing else it ensures that even the dumbest of asses can't gently caress their team even close to as hard as Moshiri has.

maruhkati fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Feb 2, 2023

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It's devastating for people who have stuck by them and the staff who might have hoped there was an actual plan. Now they've been picked over in the transfer window they don't have a hope.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Chelsea apparently spent more in the January transfer window than Ligue 1, La Liga, the Bundesliga, and Serie A combined.

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID

Thanks Ants posted:

It's devastating for people who have stuck by them and the staff who might have hoped there was an actual plan. Now they've been picked over in the transfer window they don't have a hope.

It's looking very possible that they might be in Leeds-type trouble that lasts a decade or more. Things are beyond bleak for them, even if Dyche somehow pulls off a miracle this year.

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
forest cant stop themselves

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/64501582

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Still don't know if this is the thread for it, but ESPN Brazil has reported that Ancelotti has agreed to be the next Brazil manager, though both him and Brazil deny in the sort of weasely statements of "nothing official yet."

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Ancelotti does seem especially well suited to being an international manager tbh. And managing Brazil will be a nice cap to his career. I hope it goes well for him, but also generally wish Neymar the worst at the same time.

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
Sunderland sudden favorites to sign J. Bellingham

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Mason Mount has agreed personal terms with Manchester United, but as far as I'm aware there's no actual agreement between United and Chelsea.

He's in the last year of his deal and the rumor is £60m which seems like a lot for Mason Mount but English tax, etc.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Looks like utd are willing to pay Maguire 10mil to gently caress off

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Mainwaring posted:

Looks like utd are willing to pay Maguire 10mil to gently caress off

Looks like you shouldn't read the daily mail

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I'll start the whip round

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

dunno how id feel heading into a cup final seeing rumors of my impending replacement but im not a professional footballer ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

This will be fixed by him not coming off the bench

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Shrapnig posted:

Mason Mount has agreed personal terms with Manchester United, but as far as I'm aware there's no actual agreement between United and Chelsea.

He's in the last year of his deal and the rumor is £60m which seems like a lot for Mason Mount but English tax, etc.

Quite a lot for someone to be a rotation option with Christian Eriksen. No way he's pushing Fernandes or Casemiro out of the first team.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Shrapnig posted:

60m GBP is less than the 80m GBP figure that Chelsea are supposedly seeking, so Man-U at least look set to get a discount.

https://talksport.com/football/1435...ount%20instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

80m, what