Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Although as we know ffp is only real if you believe in it so get the giant novelty cheques out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
Right the ffp rules which have been enforced a total of ? times on big clubs

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Yeah but what about Chelsea?

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
Tired

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

TheRat posted:

Yeah but what about Chelsea?

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/FabrizioRomano/status/1620412958038966277?s=20&t=3M4wlqpvwuevUhVex4AGWA

https://twitter.com/FabrizioRomano/status/1620400878141440000

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Thought pooshited had been quiet

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

L.H.O.O.Q. posted:

Is Jorginho totally washed? He was great like one or two seasons ago…..or was it three or four….

he was really good at the 2020/1 Euros, so like 18 months ago

I guess they're hoping that he's looking bad right now because of Chelsea's crisis but that a change of scenery will make him good enough to cover for Partey for six months

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

the sex ghost posted:

Thought pooshited had been quiet

There's apparently no money available, like literally. I guess they might look for an emergency loan after Andy Carroll killed Eriksen.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

L.H.O.O.Q. posted:

Is Jorginho totally washed? He was great like one or two seasons ago…..or was it three or four….

Why would Arsenal pay and pursue if he was totally washed?

Chelsea are just a shitshow right now trying to replace their entire team by overpaying for prospects and that means they need to push out the old guard. He is a good backup option no doubt, and this gives Arsenal the cover needed now while they move on to pursue Rice in the summer.

Let's see which team's strategy is more fruitful in a few years :lol:

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

L.H.O.O.Q. posted:

He had one good season playing in front of no fans in the COVID bubble, he's trash.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Arsenal's record of buying players over 30 from Chelsea hasn't gone amazingly well in the recent past

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/Plettigoal/status/1620409098549465089?s=20

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

T Bowl posted:

Chelsea are just a shitshow right now trying to replace their entire team by overpaying for prospects and that means they need to push out the old guard. He is a good backup option no doubt, and this gives Arsenal the cover needed now while they move on to pursue Rice in the summer.

Apparently though we're loaning out Lokonga to Palace, which is super weird to me. I know he's not the best of players, but when you're short in midfield it seems like a daft move to make it shorter.

Elneny is confirmed out for a long time also. Shame, I liked Elneny, but I suspect he might be finished.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

T Bowl posted:

If Chelsea comes out of this alive, they're going to have an absolutely ridiculous wealth of talent

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

TheRat posted:

If Chelsea comes out of this alive, they're going to have an absolutely ridiculous wealth of talent

It screams Spurs with the Bale money though, if anything it could take time for it all to come together and by then half the squad will be demoralized and alienated.

Then sold for less than half what they paid. It's a highly risky strategy.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

webmeister posted:

Slamming all my house windows shut in preparation

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
all I want for Christmas is for every one of these insanely long Chelsea contracts to pull a Winston Bogarde

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.

T Bowl posted:

Ask Willian, why don’t you?

L.H.O.O.Q.
Jan 3, 2013

:coal:

T Bowl posted:

I am scarred by the January transfer window Kim Källström experience

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Jose posted:

Arsenal's record of buying players over 30 from Chelsea hasn't gone amazingly well in the recent past

No but signing a player who's going to sit on the bench mostly on an 18month deal for £12m seems better than £75m imo

https://twitter.com/LionKingOnIce/status/1620356464111157249?s=20

lol

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Lmao what the gently caress

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

Shitshow posted:

Ask Willian, why don’t you?

Petr Cech was decent

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

T Bowl posted:

Petr Cech was decent

For 1 season.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Midfield cover is great, that’s all I wanted Arsenal to sign this window. That said I’ve not seen Jorginho play this season, but he presumably can’t be worse than Lokonga so that’s already good enough.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

TyrantWD posted:

For 1 season.

We only need jorginho to be an acceptable backup in *some* games for the next 6 months

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Why do these idiot clubs always wait until transfer deadline day before they do their deals? I know that’s how you prepare for exams but surely a club should be able to plan better than that.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Vegetable posted:

Midfield cover is great, that’s all I wanted Arsenal to sign this window. That said I’ve not seen Jorginho play this season, but he presumably can’t be worse than Lokonga so that’s already good enough.

He's been pretty bad, and he's also not really the same kind of player as Partey. He's more of a centre mid. Decent cover for Xhaka, I guess.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Some proper meltdowns under this

https://twitter.com/David_Ornstein/status/1620385304682319872?s=20

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Xabi posted:

Why do these idiot clubs always wait until transfer deadline day before they do their deals? I know that’s how you prepare for exams but surely a club should be able to plan better than that.
The selling club jacks up the price until the very last moment when the deal is do or die. You pay a premium for wrapping up the signing early.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Burning my shirt in front of the emirates because they signed some guy to start 10 games max instead of signing some guy to start 10 games max but he cost 80 million quid

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

Xabi posted:

Fun innit. loving ned flanders chairmen doing all their business on Jan 1st, shouldn't be allowed

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

Xabi posted:

There are lots of factors but the biggest is basic negotiation. You can often get a better price at the end of the deadline when a club is desperate for a solution.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I think transfer deadline day also just has a lot of time compression in it. Deals that would take weeks to iron out earlier in the window get done in hours because there's a time limit, so even if a club tries to get a deal done early it might take the pressure of the deadline to actually get it pushed over the line. Ditto for last-minute second choices like spending the whole window negotiating with Brighton only to find out that even with the deadline pressure they aren't going to budge on the price and you have to sign Jorginho instead.

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
would have preferred a 30 mil swoop for Sofyan Amrabat, but probably not worth fighting with barca even when they are broke. Jorginho will be fine as cover and should fit in well with the bazillion brazilians.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

https://twitter.com/David_Ornstein/status/1620462366248026112

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

https://twitter.com/telegraphducker/status/1620464931543076868?s=46&t=cU87ePcnp5p8bmOMwx9KuA

Looks like Sabitzer is happening then. Decent emergency loan to cover Eriksens injury, I suppose?

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Jorginho sucks, but I guess it’s better to have him than Lokonga and then wind and ghosts.

I don’t get the reasoning behind loaning out Lokonga at all. We would still want him as a third choice.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
as of yesterday, Chelsea's net spend this season was supposedly minus 389 million pounds, and I assume that's not counting the Enzo Fernandez fee which means they're likely to break the half billion pound transfer spending mark in a single season

e: actually I guess Arsenal paying them a nominal fee for Jorginho might push them ever so slightly under half a billion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Nice avatar/red text O_O