Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

There are many reasons to be cynical about this deal. But apart from the money, I think it’s also just an easy way for Ronaldo to extend his goalscoring record. Goals in the Saudi league count the same when he’s retired and gets to brag that he’s scored 1,000 goals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Looks like this will be the first World Cup signing

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Apparently the 7.5 years lets them amortize the fee over the long period and look less bad for FFP.

Which makes me wonder why teams don’t give arbitrarily long contracts and have some goofy clause saying either party can terminate the contract without penalty after [actual intended contract length]. That said I am not an FFP accountant so this might be very dumb.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

He probably gets more game time at Chelsea than the other two clubs. But I’m sure it all boiled down to that astronomical fee and those wages.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

He’s surely an improvement over Pulisic

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

That article is seriously disorganized. Just an assortment of namedrops, descriptions of bureaucratic processes and revelations about transfers that doesn’t go much beyond what’s already publicly known.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

First time I’ve seen a club make note of the fact that there’s a fee but they’re not disclosing it. They could just… not mention a fee at all.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

It’s just a word sports journalists use to pad their articles. It means nothing so it can’t be refuted.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

They should go for it. As an Arsenal fan I was already lolling at the insane fee for an Ukrainian league one-season-wonder.

Get a Trossard instead. Better yet, buy a central midfielder since that position has by far the most dire lack of depth. Mac Allister would be massive. Picking off Tielemans before the summer scramble wouldn’t be half bad either.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Isn’t La Liga in poverty now. Just poach some mid-table team’s best player for £10m. Hell that gave us Cazorla and look how that turned out.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

A longer period of amortization has the effect of borrowing from your future transfer budget. An eight-year amortization period eats away at your 2029, 2030 and 2031 transfer budgets when a five-year period wouldn't. It helps with FFP compliance today but hurts your ability to comply in future periods. It's not some magical wand that makes FFP go away.

That said I'd be really interested in how they structure these contracts to mitigate the risks and assuage the player's concerns of giving up a massive future payday

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Vegetable posted:

Get a Trossard instead.
Ayee

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

It's gonna be a ten-year deal or something nonsensical like that

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Cnidario posted:

Crickets out of Liverpool. Arsenal and Chelsea make all these signings, and all we got was Gakpo
Both teams would now be happy to sign Gakpo I think; they just didn’t get there quickly enough.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Brighton has a good rear end pipeline and it wouldn’t surprise me if they accepted the bid then pulled another Mitoma out of their hat

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Midfield cover is great, that’s all I wanted Arsenal to sign this window. That said I’ve not seen Jorginho play this season, but he presumably can’t be worse than Lokonga so that’s already good enough.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Xabi posted:

Why do these idiot clubs always wait until transfer deadline day before they do their deals? I know that’s how you prepare for exams but surely a club should be able to plan better than that.
The selling club jacks up the price until the very last moment when the deal is do or die. You pay a premium for wrapping up the signing early.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I really did not think the post-Abramovic era would be the one where Chelsea breaks spending records.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

This is bizarre, he was just about to join Atletico on loan.