Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I hope they don't sign Mohammed Kudus so that whenever the new signing does badly we can get infinite enjoyment from posting "Don't blame me, I voted for Kudus"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I hope Liverpool make an emergency inflated World Cup price January window signing of Alexis Mac Allister

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
didn't expect us to sign Gakpo and I was fully prepared to laugh at Man U overspending on this year's James Rodriguez, but now that it's happening I'm convinced Gakpo is the new Johan Cruyff

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

TheRat posted:

Honestly he's probably a good signing but he plays in a position where he'd compete with rashford/sancho/garnacho/elanga(heh) and what Man Utd really needs is a striker, which he is not.

Funny, then, that he also plays in a position where he'll compete with Liverpool's extensive list of wide forwards when what we really need is a midfielder. The perennial Bellingham rumours continue, though, which would be a great signing if they can pull it off.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

mila kunis posted:

not sure why this signing was necessary given the dire need for at least one improvement on central midfield

Klopp constantly talking up Bellingham makes me hopeful that it's a signing in addition to strengthening the midfield, but all the stuff I've read says Dortmund don't want to sell him in January so maybe they'll do that thing where they don't sign anybody because they have a specific target in mind who isn't available immediately.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

TheRat posted:

https://twitter.com/alarabiya_brk/status/1608877532866035714

This appears to mean Ronaldo has signed a 2 year contract with Al-Nasr

he looks thrilled about it, too

https://twitter.com/khubrani2030/status/1608880301270523904

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

lmao

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Now that's a proper World Cup fee

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
He's only been at Benfica for six months and they signed him for like 10m

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Vegetable posted:

Apparently the 7.5 years lets them amortize the fee over the long period and look less bad for FFP.

Which makes me wonder why teams don’t give arbitrarily long contracts and have some goofy clause saying either party can terminate the contract without penalty after [actual intended contract length]. That said I am not an FFP accountant so this might be very dumb.

iirc the reason 5 years is the standard max contract length is because the Bosman rule means players can walk away after five years no matter what their contract says. I'm not sure whether that means the club can also cancel the contract after 5 years or not, but from a player's point of view a 7.5-year contract is basically a 5-year contract with a couple of optional extensions at the end.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

ScooterMcTiny posted:

Dangerous I know to pose a real question in a comedy forum, but does Brexit have any impact on Bosman rule in the UK? Quick google/wiki article leads me to believe this was an EU court ruling?

I've wondered the same thing in the past but so far I don't think anybody has tried to test it. I think somebody trying the poo poo they pulled on Bosman himself (not letting him join another club even though his contract had expired) wouldn't get past British courts even now that they're no longer subject to the EU court ruling, but what that means for the other elements of the ruling like the 5-year limit, who can say. Maybe Chelsea are doing exactly that with their new longer-than-five-year contracts.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
rename TRP to The Jack Butland

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Shrapnig posted:

Well, yeah, it's The Athletic.

10,000 words summarizing stuff you already know from reading TRP shitposts is the Athletic's whole thing

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Call me crazy but I don't think this is the career of a 100m player

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Insurrectionist posted:

https://www.chelseafc.com/en/news/article/mudryk-completes-transfer-to-chelsea

8.5 years lol

What I'm wondering is the wages. On one hand surely Chelsea wouldn't be willing to pay him that much when the contract is that long. On the other, why would he agree to a lowish wage and then commit to it for 8.5 years? With the duration of his contract, even if he comes real good and other teams were interested, there is no way they could pay out his €100m contract with like 5-6 years to go AND give him a huge wage increase right? I guess if he's good enough for PSG maybe but that's about it. Feels likely he'll be stuck on whatever wage he's on now for at least half his career pretty much.

Maybe with the new American owners they've started structuring contracts in American ways with increasing wages over time.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Apparently Man U have signed Wout Weghorst on loan

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
In case anyone else was wondering, yes that is Albin Ekdal's younger brother

lol nice edit

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
wild that it turns out Chelsea are even more profligate without Abramovich

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

lol

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I don't think FSG have ever liked doing signings in January, I've always got the impression that the club thinks players are always overvalued in midseason and so they'll only sign somebody then if they think it's a price they would have got in the summer anyway, like with Gakpo.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

L.H.O.O.Q. posted:

Is Jorginho totally washed? He was great like one or two seasons ago…..or was it three or four….

he was really good at the 2020/1 Euros, so like 18 months ago

I guess they're hoping that he's looking bad right now because of Chelsea's crisis but that a change of scenery will make him good enough to cover for Partey for six months

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
all I want for Christmas is for every one of these insanely long Chelsea contracts to pull a Winston Bogarde

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I think transfer deadline day also just has a lot of time compression in it. Deals that would take weeks to iron out earlier in the window get done in hours because there's a time limit, so even if a club tries to get a deal done early it might take the pressure of the deadline to actually get it pushed over the line. Ditto for last-minute second choices like spending the whole window negotiating with Brighton only to find out that even with the deadline pressure they aren't going to budge on the price and you have to sign Jorginho instead.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
as of yesterday, Chelsea's net spend this season was supposedly minus 389 million pounds, and I assume that's not counting the Enzo Fernandez fee which means they're likely to break the half billion pound transfer spending mark in a single season

e: actually I guess Arsenal paying them a nominal fee for Jorginho might push them ever so slightly under half a billion

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
lol this has been quite a deadline day

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

the post-Roman era is off to a great start

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
looking at how much money they've lost on some of the players they sold this season is also eye-opening. Rudiger signed for €35m and left on a free. Batshuayi signed for €39m and left for 3.5. Jorginho signed for €57m and left for 12. Timo Werner signed for €53m and left for 20.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

TheRat posted:

There's a giant Lukaku-shaped hole in your list

he's only on loan so he doesn't count yet

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

blue footed boobie posted:

I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall in whatever executive meeting Chelsea had where they approved spending three quarters of a billion pounds on “idk whoever” and “maybe players other teams are trying to buy.”

one fifth of a billion pounds pounds on a guy who's never played outside the Ukrainian league and a guy who had some good games at the World Cup

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

FullLeatherJacket posted:

to be fair, they got 100+ games out of Rudiger and Jorginho and moved them on when they were old

the rest is the perils of signing Bundesliga players and man who shoots the ball into he own face

Rudiger is 29 and currently starting for Real Madrid

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

T Bowl posted:

Meanwhile Thiago Silva is pushing 40 and getting a new contract? Hmm

He's their best signing and he was free

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Chelsea apparently spent more in the January transfer window than Ligue 1, La Liga, the Bundesliga, and Serie A combined.