Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

FullLeatherJacket posted:

Yeah, everything I've seen is that United weren't willing to table an offer, rather than the player choosing Liverpool (which he might have done anyway, in fairness). There'd be no reason for PSV not to try and push a bidding war if not.

Some scuttlebutt that ETH wanted him but the scouts and the directors weren't willing to put down that much money when they hadn't budgeted for it, which is making me do the Marge Simpson noise, but there's a fine fine line between being an ITK and being a peddler of unsourced Twitter bullshit.

The Guardian ran a story saying United don’t have any money for transfers while the Glazers are looking to sell, but it was all a bit vague so who knows. https://amp.theguardian.com/football/2022/dec/27/manchester-united-unlikely-to-sign-striker-permanently-in-january-window

Arsenal look primed to cave at the last minute for some Ukrainian child. Feels like old times :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Arsenal are supposedly close to picking up the Ukrainian kid for £70m. Arsenal definitely do not have a good track record of picking up young wingers for that amount.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

FullLeatherJacket posted:

can someone who knows something about the football please explain why this lad who has had *checks notes* 49 appearances and 9 goals in the ukrainian league is now worth three drogbas and a ballon d'or clause

He’s young and seems to be scoring goals at a good clip this year, but also money laundering, corruption, and football being dead.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
I love me a good transfer hijack. Seems like a bit of an insane move for Chelsea, though.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Vegetable posted:

A longer period of amortization has the effect of borrowing from your future transfer budget. An eight-year amortization period eats away at your 2029, 2030 and 2031 transfer budgets when a five-year period wouldn't. It helps with FFP compliance today but hurts your ability to comply in future periods. It's not some magical wand that makes FFP go away.

Football club owners love to mortgage their future for results now.

But also the amount they’re amortizing will presumably be worth significantly less eight years down the line, so that is helpful too.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

sticksy posted:

Sissoko was the only one who actually worked out, right

Debuchy was good for them and they doubled their money.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Please accept this post as me claiming to have noticed Trossard when he played for Brighton or Belgium and being a big fan of him and definitely not having no clue who he is.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Lmao. Was there a helicopter involved!!?

I just hope he was sitting in Spurs’ parking lot waiting for the call.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

deletebeepbeepbeep posted:

https://twitter.com/MoisesCaicedo55...s1_c10&ref_url=

Still doubt Brighton will sell though.

So this is how Southampton fans felt. When does it stop? Oh right when you're bottom of the league and being managed by Nathan Jones. gently caress.

The moment he made this tweet there was a precisely 0% chance of this transfer ever going through and now he’ll have to eat poo poo for at least through the rest of the season.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Jorginho sucks, but I guess it’s better to have him than Lokonga and then wind and ghosts.

I don’t get the reasoning behind loaning out Lokonga at all. We would still want him as a third choice.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall in whatever executive meeting Chelsea had where they approved spending three quarters of a billion pounds on “idk whoever” and “maybe players other teams are trying to buy.”

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Ancelotti does seem especially well suited to being an international manager tbh. And managing Brazil will be a nice cap to his career. I hope it goes well for him, but also generally wish Neymar the worst at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Masonity posted:

Ozil would like a word...

Arsenal also paid Aubameyang a ton of money to go away.