Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Ha, I did the same with my Alpha Legion Anointed. I didn't like how babby possessed felt for the XXth, so I made mine a psycho-berzerker.

chainsaw man looking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Cease to Hope posted:

Legionaries have to give away activation advantage against pretty much every team. So the shrive's job is to blunt a heavy melee push or dive without needing to worry as much about the countercharge.

Grisly Mark is marginal. You can use it to jam a door or make it harder to steal a loot objective but he already discourages aggressive play just by existing. You can't really afford to have one of your six guys not contributing to controlling the board, anyway.

Makes sense.

Got most of the parts I was missing and put together my Chosen and my heavy gunner (with a little mold line cleanup left to do):

Still have greenstuff work to do on most of the models, but I at least have the plastic for 8 of the 11 operatives I have parts for put together. I'll get there eventually... I was hoping to also have the champion ready by now, but he'll take 3 rounds of greenstuffing instead of 2, it turns out (thought I could fill a gap but it was wide enough I had to fill the hollow inside with something first before the GS would adhere well enough to sculpt).
I'm really hoping the double belt and misaligned wrist won't be as visible on the tabletop for the Chosen...

SkyeAuroline fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Apr 20, 2024

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you
After trying to hold the Underworlds scene together at my local independent store and having it fall apart anyway, it seems that the new manager of my closest GW store is into supporting the smaller scale games, and I'm going to (help him) run an Underworlds organized play event next month. Cautiously optimistic at the chance of having some turnout, the last time I played an Underworlds event there a bunch of people turned up that I'd never met before despite thinking I knew the local scene pretty well. We'll see!

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

SkyeAuroline posted:

I'm really hoping the double belt and misaligned wrist won't be as visible on the tabletop for the Chosen...

the wrist you can just redo. mating the tartaros legs to the body looks good but I do see the part that's bugging you, at least on the front. an armor plate, even one made of plasticard, can just cover that up. alternately you can model or transplant a tabard but obviously that's a lot of work.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Took my Starstriders to a local Kill Team tournament and wound up taking first place. :toot:

My general strategy was to play very cagey, but throw a couple of voids men and/or electromeister forwards on tp1 to capture any mid point objectives to get 4 primaries, and force my opponents into the open if they want to contest that. I also have my canid secure the retrieve item and follow that up with securing vantages for a relatively easy 4 tac points.

First game was into Night Lords on Moroch, which had me bricking it as it was all heavy cover they could get Nightmare Shroud off of. My opponent made a mistake and forward deployed out of cover, giving me a clear shot with the AP2 Archeotech beam, killing them. That was followed by one of my suicide guardsmen capturing a point but also getting close enough to turn off the shroud on another NL, letting me open up with my chain gun knocking them down to two wounds. I got initiative tp2, so I opened up with standard wombo combo of the Void master double shooting a guy to death, then group activating a voidsman with a krak grenade boosted with rerolls from his aura and a strat ploy. So that was 50% of the team dead at the start of turn two.

Second game was into Chaos demons, with Blood Letter and Pink Horror set-up. My opponent had a nifty strategy where they just loaded pink horrors up onto the nearest vanage point protected by their standard, and rained hell down on anyone in light cover. My chain gunner took out their leader who just split into blue horrors to rain more hell down, and after I fired a cluster shell to damage two they got cocky and loaded the vantage up with even more horrors because I couldn't do that twice. TP2 I start up the wombo combo again and take out a blood letter. But instead of a krak grenade my voidsman has a frag and has been storming up the board with a plan in mind. Keeping in the front edge of the void master's aura, they throw a grenade that kills three pinks and wounds two horrors thanks to double rerolls. With most of their gunline dead I can play safe around the blood letters and take the match.

Final game is into Kommandos, and it a lot thinkier as they are even more cautious. I get a guardsman onto a vantage with line of sight to a congested deployment, and call in a guided shell that kills their Grot and a Boy, and knocks a few wounds off a Rocket. There's no opportunity to wombo combo this time as half their team is hiding behind a heavy terrain building with a door, so my krak voidsman runs forwards and just chucks it at the Rocket Boy, managing to deal zero damage. Bit of a pain, but the voids man managed to position themselves directly in front of the heavy door, and none of the orks behind them could charge her, or get anywhere useful, essentialy locking half their team out of that turning point. I was able to maintain my points lead from there on.

I think I'll be benching the team for a while to try out something else, but the Starstriders have been a really good time for some puzzle box style games. They're fragile as anything if played badly but they always seem to have an answer if I need to do something in the game.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Cease to Hope posted:

the wrist you can just redo. mating the tartaros legs to the body looks good but I do see the part that's bugging you, at least on the front. an armor plate, even one made of plasticard, can just cover that up. alternately you can model or transplant a tabard but obviously that's a lot of work.

I redid the wrist three or four times already just to get the right angle, and it kept slipping just off center - I might freeze it and break the wrist off again, but it's minor enough you have to be looking for it, I think. At least that's what I'm telling myself.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.
Trying out Kill Team report: game good. And, very importantly, fast. It is so, so fast and clean. I love it.

I got some buddies who have been my wargaming group for two decades to come over yesterday as I had the house to myself. We haven't really been playing anything since we're all dads now and can't carve out the several hours a miniatures game normally asks for. Our Necromunda campaign kind of collapsed despite having fun because it does not handle players having varied time availability and playing wildly different number of games. One of my friends got hyped for KT, I tried a couple of TTS games to learn the ruleset, grabbed the core set, and being the "organizer" of our nerd group corralled everyone for an evening.

We played two games. Everything just clicked, even for the guy who went in totally blind because he hadn't looked at the rules. The games (admittedly skipping some stuff like tac ops and equipment) took like two hours each while learning the rules and the teams and we didn't have a rules argument once!

I know that's not normally the primary criteria by which a game should be judged, but we were all like "holy poo poo we can just put the kids to sleep, pop out for a pick up game of warhammer, shoot the poo poo and be back at a normal hour". Super hyped. As much as I love Necromunda's delightful random chaos and ongoing narrative, KT wins by being slottable into grownup life.

Also had some good really enjoyable tactical thinky times and everything felt pretty fair. People saying it's GW's best design aren't kidding. I know familiarity breeds contempt and I'm sure there's some weird toxic meta cheese or something out there, but ultimately none of us are competitive so it doesn't really matter.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

SkyeAuroline posted:

I redid the wrist three or four times already just to get the right angle, and it kept slipping just off center - I might freeze it and break the wrist off again, but it's minor enough you have to be looking for it, I think. At least that's what I'm telling myself.

Are you using super glue or plastic cement?

Plastic cement gives you some great working time; You can rub the wrist and hand in little circles until it grips exactly where you want it.

With super glue, you can spray a product like Zip Kicker or Bob Smith's Accelerator to jumpstart the curing process. It cuts down time to slide around as it dries, preventing headaches like this.

E: There's also pinning, which helps with either adhesive but is typically overkill for something small like a sword hand. But if it's problematic enough, you might want to consider it.

moths fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Apr 21, 2024

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

moths posted:

Are you using super glue or plastic cement?

Plastic cement gives you some great working time; You can rub the wrist and hand in little circles until it grips exactly where you want it.

With super glue, you can spray a product like Zip Kicker or Bob Smith's Accelerator to jumpstart the curing process. It cuts down time to slide around as it dries, preventing headaches like this.

My plastic glue managed to melt its own nozzle shut, so even though I'd normally be using it for something with this little contact area and this long of a lever, I'm stuck with my Loctite.

e: regarding pinning, I've done it for several other models including in this kill team, but after a mishap last night I have no suitable drill bits for a few days. Maybe afterwards.

SkyeAuroline fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Apr 21, 2024

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I also got my first irl game of kill team in this weekend, teaching a newbie how to play. We weren't quite as excited but we still really liked it. I understand the cover rules and even what they're trying to represent, but I still have trouble identifying what positions are safe and what aren't. Additionally while I like the movement tools, they're a little fiddly to use in a game where literal laser precision of LOS matters. That said we got our game in under 2 hours and it was a lot of fun; turn 3 his custodes mulched over half my corsairs but also I grabbed so many points it didn't matter

moths
Aug 25, 2004

That sucks, plastic cement shouldn't be able to dissolve its bottle - but it loves to dry in the nozzle making itself useless.

if you still have the bottle you can clip off the end of the nozzle and it should be fine.

If you got the kind with a metal applicator, you can clear the jam with a thin wire. Or pull the metal tube off with pliers and clear it out with a lighter if you're adventurous. (Hold it with tweezers or the pliers tho.)

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Guildencrantz posted:

Trying out Kill Team report: game good. And, very importantly, fast. It is so, so fast and clean. I love it.

Yeees, welcome.

This is pretty much exactly why I started too, two kids meant there's literally no time for bighammer in my life. Genuinely surprised just how good a game it actually was. You're making far more actual decisions than in any game of Warhammer, terrain actually matters a whole bunch, and everything is just so much faster. I'm never going back.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Being able to play a half dozen factions who you’ve always wanted to paint is pretty neat too

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Bug Squash posted:

Yeees, welcome.

This is pretty much exactly why I started too, two kids meant there's literally no time for bighammer in my life. Genuinely surprised just how good a game it actually was. You're making far more actual decisions than in any game of Warhammer, terrain actually matters a whole bunch, and everything is just so much faster. I'm never going back.

Pretty much the same reason a lot of people (and me) got into it: it's fast, dynamic, and don't require many models while at the same time having a lot of depth to it. Also the variety of models to collect and paint, coupled with the ease to swap factions is a huge plus. Made me abandon 40k alltogether and I'm really happy with it as well.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.

Professor Shark posted:

Being able to play a half dozen factions who you’ve always wanted to paint is pretty neat too

This does give me some choice paralysis though because my playstyle preference doesn't match my taste in minis :( I love to zoom around and do elf bullshit in games and the Corsair Voidscsarred rules are exactly my jam, but Eldar models kinda do nothing for me. Maybe if I converted them to be more aggressively piratey...

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Guildencrantz posted:

Maybe if I converted them to be more aggressively piratey...

It's this. You know what you have to do.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I wasn't super interested in corsairs until I painted them with a huge mishmash of color schemes

blindidiotgod
Jan 9, 2005

Played my 3rd game of Kill Team the other night, taking my firstborn marines out for a spin vs Custodes.
Got wiped out utterly. Only saving grace was being able to abuse Only In Death Does Duty End where I still had an action to fight so I could push through all the hits I wanted without worrying about parry, because my sarge was already dead.

Ended up at like 13 points to 17 which is not atrocious given the Custodes had a full turn to run around and cap as much as they could. Kill Team is fun, the obscuring rules suck rear end, and I really need to stop playing firstborn marines.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
love to see everyone enjoying KT

Guildencrantz posted:

This does give me some choice paralysis though because my playstyle preference doesn't match my taste in minis :( I love to zoom around and do elf bullshit in games and the Corsair Voidscsarred rules are exactly my jam, but Eldar models kinda do nothing for me. Maybe if I converted them to be more aggressively piratey...

if you want teams that zoom around and do bullshit things to the rules, consider kommandos, novitates, wyrmblade, starstriders, or hunter clade

blindidiotgod posted:

Kill Team is fun, the obscuring rules suck rear end, and I really need to stop playing firstborn marines.

custodes are also a dumb skew team, which doesn't help

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Guildencrantz posted:

I'm sure there's some weird toxic meta cheese or something out there, but ultimately none of us are competitive so it doesn't really matter.

I think you'll be pleased as you develop your familiarity with the game. Problems have existed before and surely problems will exist again, but as stands there's nothing oppressively toxic or cheesy to burst your bubble waiting out there. The balance team really tries (not a back-handed compliment, they seem to put real attention into it and generally listen to the community opinions).

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
KT benefits so, so much from the smaller option space per faction. It's a lot easier to get a team under control when everyone is playing the same basic team.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

I've seen teams get called S-tier at 60% win rate, and garbage at 40% win rate. That's a pretty balanced spread imo. The current big-bad is the Fellgor and I've been able to smack them down with a team that theoretically has a bad match up into them.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Im tempted to get blackstone fortress warhammer quest since it seems like a more casual and multiplayer focused warhammer game that i can easily take and set up at my 4-5 people board game group. do you guys recommed it? Is it a fun system and game in and of itself?

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Al-Saqr posted:

Im tempted to get blackstone fortress warhammer quest since it seems like a more casual and multiplayer focused warhammer game that i can easily take and set up at my 4-5 people board game group. do you guys recommed it? Is it a fun system and game in and of itself?

It's fine. You can lookup some gameplay videos to get a feel for how it plays (I specifically remember Guerilla Minatures Games did a whole campaign). But honestly, if this is a group playing more traditional Euro boardgames it's probably going to fall flat.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Voidscarred Corsairs never won a major. The glass cannon all or nothing Playstyle tends to flounder when not many rerolls.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Al-Saqr posted:

Does it have to be sci fi? Cursed City has a bit more evolved gameplay and can still be fun after you beat the campaign. Also all the expansions were released as paper only products so the rules can be found online and the models are still readily available.

Plus it's $30 cheaper on Amazon.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Annointed posted:

Voidscarred Corsairs never won a major. The glass cannon all or nothing Playstyle tends to flounder when not many rerolls.

Yeah, being unreliable is a huge issue in long tournaments. If you don't have rerolls, you're liable to have bad rolls on a couple games during the six or seven games needed to win. Inquisition has similar issues as well.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Does it have to be sci fi? Cursed City has a bit more evolved gameplay and can still be fun after you beat the campaign. Also all the expansions were released as paper only products so the rules can be found online and the models are still readily available.

Plus it's $30 cheaper on Amazon.

I already just now ordered Blackstone fortress, since it's out of print I probably wont get another chance to affordably get it and overall for what it is (a tight single package that I can bring easily to my multiplayer board game group) I'm pretty happy with what I got and either ways it's a good way for me to get some cool 40k minis that I will enjoy painting and adding to my future 'agents of the imperium' or Chaos armies. I am very much excited to have the rogue trader-zealot-navis minis themselves. and I think the chaos traitor gaurd and enemies in the game look super cool too. overall I much prefer what I'm getting.

I probably was not going to expand either ways even if I got Cursed city, since I'm more interested in expanding my normal 40k collection or even trying out Age of Sigmar at the 4th edition launch, so this is very much a one-time purchase for me. to me warhammer quest is just a curiosity I'm willing to try out without going too deep into expansions and stuff especially at the prices they're charging for every expansion. this feels like a more complete and worth buying package than the upcoming 'darktide' board game.

thanks man!

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Apr 24, 2024

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Bug Squash posted:

I've seen teams get called S-tier at 60% win rate, and garbage at 40% win rate. That's a pretty balanced spread imo. The current big-bad is the Fellgor and I've been able to smack them down with a team that theoretically has a bad match up into them.

Ain't that the way of internet commentary. You could have every match 51-49 and you'd get tier lists ranging from S to F, cries of "insane" and "trash," memes about the "oppressive" team sitting at 51% and so on. I do agree that KT is essentially balanced and only a few match ups are problems (I'd say Kasrkin v Marines, for example).

I wanted to add on, though: the goon asking earlier was asking about toxic cheese strats, which in my mind means weird, counterintuitive, perhaps rules-exploitative behaviors that give an impression of hijacking the game. I want to emphasize that as far as my present understanding of the game goes, whenever anybody talks about strong or weak teams, it's all in the context of being better or worse at playing the game of KT as it seems meant to be played: killing enemy dudes with swords and guns while tapping/sitting on map points. I think it's important to say that no top-rated team in KT is at the top because they pull off cheesy-feeling stuff like having infinite actions per turn, or banning you from moving,* or forcing the game clock to time out or something like you might see in collectible card games (or big 40k, I don't know). There's no Exodias here, no game plans that operate on a totally different logic from the core experience. This is a big thing that helps it feel OK even if some strong team is running around with a 70% win rate. You feel like you're playing on the same field, at least.

*Necrons used to offend in this category but they weren't both cheesy and top tier, and the balance team has removed the cheese

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

A 5% edge is enough for a poker player to absolutely dominate over the course of tens of thousands of hands/dozens of tournaments, and in Magic a deck that is at 48% winrate is considered bad and quickly disappears from tournament play. But those games have many, many more matches played to determine winners & losers in tournaments than you could hope to play with KT. So a 60% win rate in KT still leaves way more room for wins/losses from variance, and this is all assuming that winrate is entirely from the team (e.g. there is a "solved" perfect play from the players and all that matters is the list) which is of course not correct.

That said, if you come into a tournament with a team that has a 40% winrate you are probably handicapping yourself somewhat, unless you've figured out something about how to play that team more optimally that a lot of other players with that team haven't figured out.

I agree that if even the "worst" teams are getting a 40% winrate that's actually a really good place for the meta to be and suggests way, way more balance than is typical for any Games Workshop game. It's really good!

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Winrate becomes kind of a garbage metric immediately after it's public anyway, since it causes migration and players learning the "good" thing are going to suck for a while.

Unless it's wildly skewed, I mean. An army winning or losing 1 in 5 games has systemic problems.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

i posted this in the 40K thread but i think it's a bit more relevant here:

cursed city left a really bad impression on me. rolling to act then rolling for success in a game barely more complex than heroquest just felt like time-chewing filler. even old old WHQ with the tiles felt better. (i never did play silver tower or blackstone.) i'd never play cursed city over a game like descent or gloomhaven.

the darktide game looks like the combat arena games GW occasionally puts out, but this time using the kill team game math. it looks like a good way to teach people KT without needing to learn the game's targeting/cover/hiding rules at the same time.

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial
Now I'm thinking, what if kill team had some kind of coop wave defense mode, similar to the tyranid thing for 40k that goonhammer was developing

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

Cease to Hope posted:

i posted this in the 40K thread but i think it's a bit more relevant here:

cursed city left a really bad impression on me. rolling to act then rolling for success in a game barely more complex than heroquest just felt like time-chewing filler. even old old WHQ with the tiles felt better. (i never did play silver tower or blackstone.) i'd never play cursed city over a game like descent or gloomhaven.

the darktide game looks like the combat arena games GW occasionally puts out, but this time using the kill team game math. it looks like a good way to teach people KT without needing to learn the game's targeting/cover/hiding rules at the same time.

Shh man I'm trying to sell my copy

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Ristolaz posted:

Now I'm thinking, what if kill team had some kind of coop wave defense mode, similar to the tyranid thing for 40k that goonhammer was developing

Oh interesting, so like it would be a swarm of rippers and the occasional bigger 'nid? Gretchin and Orks, scarabs and Necrons. It'd have to be some low-level enemies and mindless enemies for sure, just because Killteam's balance currently favors the side with the most models.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

smug jeebus posted:

Shh man I'm trying to sell my copy

Cursed City is a great deal for a Soulblight Gravelords player.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
I hope there’s a name for the disease that afflicts me where I need to buy a boxed game after it’s finished being made just in case I want to play it in 10-15 yrs

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Yeast posted:

I hope there’s a name for the disease that afflicts me where I need to buy a boxed game after it’s finished being made just in case I want to play it in 10-15 yrs

Spacehulkitis

caedwalla
Nov 1, 2007

the eye has it

Ristolaz posted:

There are fan rules for a Kill Team coop campaign mode called uhh Acolyte I think? Has its own team composition rules though so you can't bring your Arbites or whatever 1:1. I remember thinking it was cool but didn't have anyone to get it off the ground with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Yeast posted:

Its because GW actually shoots alot of their geese when people call their bluff.

"Hey guys heres a really cool fun board game goose that lays golden eggs we made come get it"

And when it gets sold out and people ask for more golden eggs they pull out a pistol and shoot the goose.

So theyve kinda mastered the FOMO purchase by making the fear of missing out actually real.