Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Hedningen posted:

I feel like Blood Bowl gets a pretty bad rap in the OP - yeah, as a push-your-luck game it can be incredibly brutal, but it’s a game that still manages to maintain the sense of humor inherent in the old GW style, with terrible groanworthy puns, some of the more dynamic models GW makes, and a strong fan community in the form of the NAF, which kept the game alive and still organizes tournaments.

Side note, there are two ways to play: one-off matches where you don’t track injuries, and leagues, where you play a series of games against opponents. Setting up an in-person league can be really difficult, but it’s also incredibly rewarding - you get to develop a team, and if you can actually build the community and manage to keep people from getting heated at the gaming table, it’s an incredible experience. It just takes a lot of effort and buy-in from people.

There’s also variants available: Sevens (or 7s) is the main officially supported one, where teams are smaller, gameplay is faster, and the cruelty of dice is even more pronounced. You’ve also got Deathbowl (4 player Blood Bowl variant), Streetbowl (7s on a narrower pitch, different rules for fouling), and various unofficial teams, including the NAF-endorsed Slann team and various homebrew teams on the FUMBBL Secret League.

I agree, it's feels fairly negative. Kind of a "this game isn't good, but I guess if you want to play I'll give you the rundown".

The minis also aren't push fit. You'll need glue and clippers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I look forward to local people pronouncing it as "ar-bites". A lot already pronounce custodes as "cuss-toads".

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Sisters of Battle also have a compendium kill team that's normal Sisters in power armor.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

TIL that cops in 40k need to gather more evidence before executing suspects than cops in the US do.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

My local GW store literally just puts in an online order that ships to store if you preorder through them. And with them not even sending it until release day means if you preorder through an Official™ Warhammer™ store then you're not getting it until a week after release. I even had it once where it took nearly 2 months to show up, and it wasn't a MTO item or anything, iirc it was a Helbrecht model.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I magnetized a Harlequin kill team for the last edition of it

I'm never again magnetizing connections that small.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I'm trying to convince my local players to do the same as well, but it's been an uphill battle. It's especially frustrating when they're using a 3rd party team and positionals aren't easy to tell apart.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

The Goblin team is only goblins with 2 trolls. The one with rats is Underworld Denizens. Goblins are rough for a new player. Their whole schtick is that you'll likely lose, but you'll make the other team bleed for it. And for that you'll want all their secret weapons and 2 trolls.

There are plenty of 3rd party Tomb Kings options, and they still have official rules via the Teams of Legend pdf

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Annointed posted:

That sounds absolutely dreadful. From what I seen a year ago it looked like it had worse ui with the devs proudly showing maps that say "what if you had even less movement so everyone is stuck in a slug match".

TBF, those pitch rules were made by GW. They're all generally terrible.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

SirFozzie posted:

Is it true in 2020 that all stats are capped at 9? (I saw someone say GR can't take +MV in BB3 because the rules folks thought it was too easy to one turn)

That is true. It's still pretty easy to one-turn TD with a Gutter Runner. You just need Sprint and do one chain push.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Robert Facepalmer posted:

Though the league closest to me insists on positional colors so maybe you can find more chill opponents.

That is objectively a good thing though. When you play a game with another person communication is a big part. I've played against enough teams (GW and 3rd party) where telling positionals apart by model alone is tough.

As for the balls. A lot of people use ball tokens as they're easier to see and deal with than a tiny ball on the base. Poker chips work perfectly.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I think I want to go with a pink color scheme (or other bright color), so now I have to figure out if I have the right paints for that :shepface:

The new Doomfire Magenta is fantastic for making something violently pink.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Blackmage Yapo posted:

I'm Facebook friends with a dude who still posts about Guildball.

At this point I'm only buying secondary market stuff, a full GW skaven team is currently $132 and that is just absurd.

I'm guessing you're not calculating in USD? A team is $50, so if you're planning on getting two to get the full 4 Gutter Runners that's only $100, or if you go the FW booster it's $91.

It's rare you'd want to run a full 16 anyway, so just getting 2 gutter runners as singles, kitbashing, or third party is enough.

edit: forgot about the Rat Ogre, that's where the extra cost in your calculation is coming from. That's a trap player anyway.

fallingdownjoe posted:

I don’t know if you’ve tried it, but tournament-style blood bowl normally uses resurrection rules, where you build your team and start afresh each game, with any injuries wiped away. Whilst I do like the development side of the game, I really love the challenges presented by tournaments, where even one bad game doesn’t matter because the next one is a fresh new fight.

I'm looking down the barrel of this in my current league at my LGS. Last game before playoffs is an absolutely stacked Lizardmen team and I'm playing Amazons. My plan going in is just to stem the bleeding since I'm in the playoffs even if I lose. I'll probably just foul with my positionals with the hope of them getting ejected, and therefore out of reach of the 3 block/frenzy and 3 block/tackle Saurus and the Krox with block.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Squibsy posted:

I used to love and evangelise about Blood Bowl, but a few factors conspired to make me sour on it. Most notably the 2020 rules, which I think are extremely poo poo and take the game and it's meta in the wrong direction.

Almost everyone I've talked to that hates the 2020 ruleset are mainly upset that all their elves can't pass on a 2+ anymore. Are you in that camp?

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

They did say that just buying a full display has all 7 dudes and one duplicate.

That being said, if I do that kill team I'm just kitbashing.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I'm still bummed that the Escher bikes are jet bikes. I was hoping for dirt bikes or 80s style crotch-rockets.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

This last errata makes me think that someone at GW was personally slighted by a goblin at one point.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

NFL games are like 3.5 hours. Most Blood Bowl games I play are around 2 hours. Post-game bookkeeping is also pretty painless now that computers/smartphones exist.

At its core BB is a risk management game. Most people I know that get mad at and hate BB are the ones that aren't comfortable with a failed roll meaning something bad happens, instead of most games where a failed roll means something good doesn't happen (eg: your guy just misses a shot instead of face-planting and potentially hurting himself).

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

People that play the slow grind and go for stalling to get the 1-0 victory are cowards.

But I pretty much solely play leagues instead of tournaments, and more TDs means more SPP and more league points. I also play Skaven so my goal is to have 3 TDs by the end of the 1st half because I won't have many players to slow them down on the 2nd half.

Also with the fast little bastards, it's never not entertaining when someone tries stalling and you sneak a sacking gutter runner through (wrestle, strip ball, dauntless) and score a TD getting the ball from one end zone to the other in one turn thanks to the A+ skaven throwers.

Floppychop fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Oct 18, 2023

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Crackbone posted:

You can buy 3rd party teams off Etsy for the same price as GW official or far less in the case of something like gobbos.

You have to be careful with this though. A lot of them just get licenses to print certain models commercially (or worse, steal them), and the quality from these can be great, or downright terrible. Watch out for sellers that haven't existed for very long, don't have very many reviews, or only have 5 star reviews that feel like copy+paste ones churned out to raise their rating.

I picked up a Skaven team from one that was the Skryre-esque ones from Brutefun. The print is merely okay at best and the seller obviously was churning them out without much care and doing basic things like cleaning the wash basin often. They all had a glossy and tacky finish in the recesses that muddied all the details.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Z the IVth posted:

Battletech has morphed into 1/265 now and I'm sure it's still lumped under the 6mm umbrella.

Battletech scale is wonky because the maps and terrain are one scale and the mechs are another. Also the new plastic mechs aren't necessarily to scale with each other either.