Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

The only thing I know about MESBG is that the dice sets for it look really nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

Al-Saqr posted:

It’s ok pick the team you want the most I’m just a little bit of an artsy fartsy so the harlequins are appealing to me visually.

Playin g harlequins makes you a bit of That Guy so voidscarred are good choice if you still want space elves

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

Hmm I've been eyeing those estralings. Maybe I will give middle earth a chance

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

While space fash try to arest eldar vampire monks cut up people in warcry https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/02/07/the-askurgan-trueblades-are-vampire-ascetics-who-dispatch-foes-with-precision-blows/

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

Warhammer game being buggy mess at lunch? Impossible. But seriously I'm still stuck playing bb1 for some reason and probably will not pick this up till christmas sale

Covermeinsunshine fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Feb 21, 2023

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

Consider it will double or triple as they release dlc teams (obviously cosmetics for them will be sold separately)

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

This makes me nostalgic to a time when I was a kid and could pick either mordheim or battlefleet gothic as my christmas gift. I never played BFG but mordheim sure made me regret my choices

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

berzerkmonkey posted:

He stated that armor is supposed to be expensive, because through history, only the rich had stuff like plate, and, as it turns out, it wasn't a very good defense against much anyway.

This explains a lot about Mordheims design

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

The gently caress are you people talking about privateer press garbage when there is new underworlds

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/03/23/carve-a-path-to-the-heart-of-the-wyrdhollow-in-the-latest-warhammer-underworlds-box-set/

and new kill team with votan vs beastmen

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/03/23/abandon-ship-kin-and-beastmen-flee-the-death-of-a-space-hulk-in-kill-team-gallowfall/

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

!Klams posted:

Is Kill Team any better?

The only way to gently caress yourself over in list building for KT is by playing necrons

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

Got myself a set of DireChasm for underworlds for 45$ - might get back to playing it. Anyone played recent seasons?

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

Flesh eaters vs stormcast in greatest warcry box ever (don't @ me) https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/04/29/pious-heroes-and-deluded-cannibals-come-to-blows-over-mismatching-chivalric-codes-in-warcry/

And spooks from the underworlds https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/04/29/heads-will-roll-as-the-cursed-executioners-of-nagash-enter-the-wyrdhollow/

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

Warden posted:

I've gotten five games in on WH: Underworlds, and I've won only one. Two were quite close, but I got my teeth absolutely pushed in twice. And everyone I played against was one of my mates, who were all beginners and using my warbands.

I love the game, but I can't decide whether I suck at it, or if I just have the worst luck when it comes to drawing objectives. Probably both.

I would say poo poo luck if you guys are all begginers but there is variance in how hard some bands are to play

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

I was so dissapointed by 40k 10ed I decided to grab myself some Heavy Gear. Thankfully I can still play my aos and KT.

!Klams posted:

Man, privateer press really poo poo the bed with warmachine. You're basically all clamouring to play it, but you're never going to play it because they just haven't managed to stand up and be noticed. Whether that's the theme, or the marketing or what, I dunno, but they've have 4 editions to work this out, and still haven't. Such a shame.

How is PP still active is beyond me

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

Well maybe in mk2 when I played quite often it was decent. My attempt at playing mk3 lasted as long as it did only because no one wanted to buy the minis.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

!Klams posted:

Yeah, exactly. Mk2 was great, but then the whole Mk3 CID slow release thing was just insane. That they've done it AGAIN for Mk4 but somehow WORSE to me is just completely infuriating.

Imagine if for 10th edition of 40k, Ultramarines and Nids got new models and rules, then they announced that after a year at least one other army would get models and rules, and they kind of just left it at that as a release.

I think one issue you miss above is out of game time required. I used to play infinity and malifaux as well and bot of those games require getting punched several times before you can punch back. Bah even KT does. Thing is to play those games I need to prep what 10 models? Sure I might need more minsi later but looking at vet guardsmen I can tell I need to paint 20 dudes and we are done. Warmachine being on different scale kinda fucks people up with the way rules are updated because its more like now I need 20 knights exemplar, and now 10 flameguard+attachments. This might be true for 40k and aos but you don't have to be super hardcore in those games so the overall load is smaller.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

Cease to Hope posted:

Many of the factions that are soft-excluded are excluded because GW still sells them for AOS. For example, most of the Vampire Counts army is now part of the (sigh) Soulblight Gravelords, although a lot of the newer models have a bit more of a Russian vibe, and Mannfred is now a demi-god whose job is constantly disappointing Nagash. (The Necrarchs, ghouls, and ghosts are still around too, albeit in other armies.)

Necrahs aren't. We have "strigoi" in flesh eater courts (along with all the ghouls) but they are separate faction from normal SBG

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

I love the tinsy bitsy drednoughts. They are the cutest

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

WHU is not KT for AoS - Warcry is and units from warcry are generally decent to good in the main game

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

Squibsy posted:

Yeah, the Krieg aesthetic is very strong. It's not so much that it isn't for me, perhaps baffling is the wrong word, but I find the lore and imagery of Krieg to be edging too far into po-faced grimdark, a very long way from the original pulpy movie homage vibes that many of the classic guard regiments had. It's just bleak, and that's an element of modern 40k which strays into all sorts of uncomfortable territory.

Well grimdark was here since 3rd edition so hardly modern. Kriegers were added around same time as steel legion sp around 4th or 5th edition if I recall

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

Gorgers are awesome
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/08/31/nova-open-preview-the-gorger-mawpack-prepare-to-make-a-meal-out-of-the-wildercorps/

and squid is my friend

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/08/31/nova-open-preview-dysfunctional-daemons-and-determined-deepkin-duel-over-souls/

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

Why would you want scans of old garbage when there are people doing their 3d sculpts that are clear upgrades over older gw minis? Like highland miniatures has a lot of decent stuff

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

Lucinice posted:

I mean GW makes weird business decisions so it's possible but that's sounds like they worst way to go about it especially if the game gets multiple years of support.

You know where I can get some chorfs? I wanna play chorfs.

of the top of my head https://www.patreon.com/LostKingdomMiniatures/posts?fbclid=IwAR1K-_XJU5Oo-f5v9_uJPHP6vrrZxx1OUOrkpCdCQ8jjro7busrgUfOJrgE has multiple units and nice designs

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

Aniodia posted:

My boss and coworkers at my FLGS have been bringing various models they've painted to work to show off on the counter, and it's all 40k stuff. I'm more of a fantasy guy, and even within that more small scale, so I had brought in one of my Warmaster high elf dragon riders. Thing is, someone dropped it at one point, and one of the wings popped off (it was only superglued on, and went back on without a hitch), so at the moment I don't have anything to display.

I picked up a Kill Team of Custodes to fix that (just the Guard so far, as someone bought the Sisters of Silence KT we'd had before I could) and started to assemble them. However, I was always like, tangentally interested in KT just due to the small model count, and Custodes is the smallest of the small, so I figured why not actually try to assemble them as a real Kill Team to start to learn the rules. Looking at the Guards, though, they have two weapon options, and so I'm wondering if I should bother magnetizing the weapons, or just pick a loadout and stick with it.

Also, I could always place an order for another of the SoS box, but again, it seems like they have options. I'd looked at the Goonhammer article on Custodes, and saw the chart near the bottom, but that seems like they were talking about having 20 models, which seems like more than a legal Kill Team. I wouldn't mind some advice on how to proceed, what to magnetize, etc., especially given the price of these models (and employee discounts only go so far).

CHart of 20 models is what you pick your kill team from - if you are playing guard you construct rooster of 20 dudes with gear and then pick 14 dudes that can join you on the mission. Instead of getting more custodes I would just buy another guard box and build every specialsit and special weapon available

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

They really should have made it more like KT2ed. It just does not offer same level of gameplay. So far main appeal is minis and terrain with are all great and tend to be good in aos proper

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

Lumpy posted:

Other than rename it to "Warhammer 40,000" ? I think they've been trying to figure that out for all their games for a while now.

AoS is selling good so thats not it (so are underworlds). I reckon if this didnt sell they would drop it - I reckon it mostly sells because peopel want units and sweet terrain for Aos

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

Blooming Brilliant posted:

Praise Nuffle.

Not sure if this is a hot take, but from my experience of GW over the years I'd say their best game systems have always been their skirmish systems,

or at least where neither player has no more than fifteen-to-twenty'ish at max models per side.

So what you are saying wh40k is good if both players play custodes?

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

If we are talking purely cash and gw games WHU is the cheapest. If you know someone with core set you just buy a single band and play rivals till you die. Or grab a generic rivals deck on top of that and start playing nemesis. Or you can just grab a starter set since 2 bands have more longevity and its still less than most fancy board games.

Looking at non gw games 100$ will buy me a master+ an addon box for his keyword so I reckon you can play like that for some time. Infinity starter plus another box of minis would net you something around 130. I reckon 150 is reasonable for solid starter force

Covermeinsunshine fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Oct 13, 2023

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

All I see in that bret release is new grave guard. Also reading any chat about tow is going to make you want to wash your eyes with bleach.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

Professor Shark posted:

I haven’t read anything about it except here, what are people upset about, besides :females:?

Its whinge bingo:
- resin
- metal
- not enough new
- too much new
- no release date
- too cartonish
- woman
- cancel age of sigmar
- gw betrayed its fans
- this isn't the faction I wanted

And so on and on and on. This time there was no poc minis so we dodged that bullet

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

Worth pointing out that on setup and game time WHU are awesome as well. We jammed 2 games in like 50 minutes while refreshing rules

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

I for one was never in a market - played 5th and 6th edition of wfb and jumped ship as soon as friend introduced me to Warmachine. Might be I'm just alergic to rank and file because KoW and Conquest turned me of hard (wanted to like conuest but turned out it has like one good rule in the rule set). Only reason I wait for wfb is that foot knights will make good grave guards for my vamps.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

LashLightning posted:

You certainly got hosed-over regarding the books, but I wouldn't think so for most of the models. I could be getting confused with AoS "2nd Edition", but Nagash and other undead models got supported by the new ghost army, and the others eventually by the ghoul army.

Nurgle Chaos Lord on Nurgle Beast, some Chosen Chaos Warriors with marks of Khorne and Nurgle, everything lost its fancy name but after the mess of "1st edition" AoS, there was use for the figures.

Chaos and VC ranges survived the transition mostly unscathed. Elfs and Empire were a mixed bag as resin and metal got dropped over time but until recent Cities of SIgmar book most newer plastics were usable - so quite a bit of time after end times).

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

Crackbone posted:

Kev Roundtree was a shitbag but AoS sales were far, far better than WFB ever were.

Are you not confusing him with Kirby who was the ceo before?

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

From my exposure to conquest its incredibly mid apart from activation rules with are good idea. Minis are mixed bag - old dominion for example has incredible golems and statues and playdooh ghosts.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

Only thing that 3d printing got me is growing pile of unpainted terrain.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

Cease to Hope posted:

you called GW "practically saintly by comparison" to f2p games, lol

He didn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

One thing I might get from Tow line are the dice sets. Might grab those and maybe (big maybe) get foot knights to convert into grave guard.