Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

S T A R M E T A L C A S T E

If you clicked on this thread, you already know what Pokémon Scarlet is. Scarlet (and Violet, it’s obligatory other half) are the latest round of mainline Pokémon games. To wit:

Wikipedia posted:

Unlike the previous installments in the Pokémon franchise, Scarlet and Violet take place in an open world, similar to Pokémon Legends: Arceus. The games take place in the Paldea region, based off of the Iberian Peninsula. There are three separate stories the player can take. Scarlet and Violet introduce 103 new Pokémon, alongside 4 new regional forms, and the Terastal phenomenon, which allows a Pokémon to transform into its exclusive Tera Type. The games also maintain features from previous modern Pokémon games, including large open areas and Pokémon appearing in the overworld.

Scarlet and Violet received mixed reviews from critics. The games were praised for their open world formula, while its graphics and technical problems at launch received criticism.

Sure, a Pokémon LP. Cool, there’s lots of those. Why should I care when I can watch anime girls swear at it on Twitch?

Whatever Gamefreak’s virtues, sane game development isn’t one of them. Generation 9 is a diamond in the rough right now. While a lot of the criticism these games get over technical issues is overblown (I beat it within a week of release without issue), they really are prone to comical graphical glitches and poor performance compared to similar titles. But under the hood, they also suffer from kind of rushed design and plotholes you’d expect from trying to develop a modern game in basically two years. I love this game, don’t get me wrong, but man, does it have issues – issues most people will miss in a casual perusal. It also has some real virtues that got lost in the storm of technical issues and memes, and I want to spend some time bringing them to the surface.

Answer the question.

There will be two parts to this LP:
  1. This generation probably has the best story Gamefreak’s ever produced, but that doesn’t mean you can’t improve it. I’ll be running this as a narrative screenshot LP, taking the time to fill in some plot holes, hunt up some characters, and bring things to life a little more; the plot as a whole and certain scenes won’t change, but some of the dialogue and character interactions will. Any new dialogue (and commentary) will be in italics, while original dialogue will just be in plaintext.
  2. I may be a random goon, I’m also a credentialed historian, and if there’s ever been a country with a wild and hosed-up history it’s Spain. I’ll be mixing in little blurbs about the regions of Spain each part of Paldea corresponds to in every couple updates to break up commentary and give me something else to talk about. I also encourage anyone from the Iberian Peninsula for post about anything I missed or anything they want to tell us about; I’ve set the whole second post side for linking :spain:posts.

Why do you repeat the dialogue after every screenshot?

I’ve LPed before. Hell, I’ve even LPed a modern Pokémon game before. That is one of several tricks I’ve picked up over the years to make these things readable for as many people as possible. BBCode limitations here on SA mean I can’t ever get the LP up to WCAG standards, but the least I can do is stuff like that, including character names under portraits and a few other things too. There is anything I can do to make the reading experience better, please let me know and I’ll fix it the moment I can. Relatedly, I use dictation software to write and I don’t always catch errors during editing passes; if you spot a word that seems out of place or something that doesn’t make sense, it’s probably there because the software borked up and I appreciate the chance to fix it.

No rules! No gods, no masters! This thread’s now about how big Sada’s –

:siren: Don’t be a creeper. :siren: I know Pokémon draws horny people sometimes, but you have other sites if that’s what you’re into. Let’s keep this thread free of thirsting over animals or 10-year-olds. I expect better of goons and don’t anticipate having to enforce this rule, but I want it out in the open just to make it clear. Aside from that, other than general forum rules, I want :siren:no plot spoilers period! :siren: Spoilers behind spoiler tags count, they just invite people to click on them and don’t show up for everyone anyway so they’ll be treated same as any other spoiler. I won’t be draconian about this but there’s a lot of moments in SV that are genuinely moving, and telling people they’re coming just kills the fun. Mechanical spoilers, however, are fair game if they don’t involve details about future plot development. Like, you can talk about the movesets of Pokémon before we reach the point where we can catch them, but not if they’re in certain spoilery areas. This obviously doesn’t go for anyone who doesn’t know what’s going to happen next, feel free to guess away, just keep what you do know under wraps.

As far as update schedule, no guarantees yet; I have a lot more to do it work then I used too, so I can’t manage those near-daily updates anymore. If I really get a cadence going I’ll let you know, but for now expect updates… Let’s say weekly. Speaking of which…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

this post for rent

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

These games have a massive soundtrack full of alternate themes, sound cues, and tracks only heard once or twice. Naturally, developers didn’t bother labeling half of them and threw them onto the disk willy-nilly, so cracking down exactly which themes play where gets grueling. Sometimes I just won’t be able to find whatever’s playing; since half these tracks are alternates or remixes anyway, I’ll note what it’s a remix of before moving on.

That said, it’s time to boot up the game.

Naranjan Academy Theme Alt 1 – Pokémon Scarlet & Violet: Original Soundtrack OST

Naranjan Academy Main Theme 1 – Pokémon Scarlet & Violet: Original Soundtrack OST

NARANJA ACADEMY

TAKING LESSONS FROM TRADITION— GROWING STRONGER AND GREATER

IT’S TIME FOR YOU, TOO... TO DIVE INTO THE WORLD OF POKÉMON!

Naranjan Academy Sumber Theme 1 – Pokémon Scarlet & Violet: Original Soundtrack OST

DIRECTOR CLAVELL, HEAD OF NARANJA ACADEMY

CLAVELL: Paldea is a sprawling region bursting with lush nature and magnificent landscapes.

CLAVELL: It is also, of course, home to the mysterious creatures known to us as Pokémon. They reside here in great numbers, in fact.

Naranjan Academy Theme Alt 1 – Pokémon Scarlet & Violet: Original Soundtrack OST

CLAVELL: Pokémon can be found living all over: in the seas, in the skies—even in our cities and towns. We humans coexist with Pokémon, as we both help one another to live and thrive.

CLAVELL: Naranja Academy is here to help you learn even more about these precious partners. Within our halls, people from all regions gather to study together.

CLAVELL: And as Pokémon Trainers, they have their Pokémon do battle, growing alongside them... while our robust curriculum of coursework helps our students draw forth their fullest potential.

CLAVELL: It is within these halls that you will find your friends, your Pokémon, and your true self. We, the faculty and staff at Naranja Academy, can’t wait to welcome you with open arms.

I couldn’t find which track plays in the following scene, though you can hear it at this point in the opening scene.

A winged creature soars through the clouds at high speed.

It looks exhausted.

After catching a broad glimpse of Paldea…

… It turns left, nearly clipping a nearby cliff.

It soars over a herd of Tauros…

… And narrowly misses a windmill in a nearby town…

… Before crashing through a flock of Flamigos.

It rounds the Academy…

… Blowing through the town square…

… And finally reaches the coast.

But as it passes a lighthouse…

… Its eyes finally close…

… And it crashes into the sea.

Intro BGM 07 – Pokémon Scarlet & Violet: Original Soundtrack OST

Then we cut to a nice house out in the nearby countryside…

… Where a girl stands up from her desk.

Home (Indoor) – Pokémon Scarlet & Violet: Original Soundtrack OST

The game now lets us walk around the room, looking at things and getting our bearings.

It’s your very own wardrobe, adorned with Pokémon stickers.

It’s your soft, fluffy bed. It’s got a lovely sun-warmed scent!

It’s a Skwovet plush made with care using nice, soft material.

It’s a new Nintendo Switch system! This one’s got a bigger screen!

It’s full of flavor text; Scarlet and Violet follow the age-old JRPG tradition of packing setting info into interactable objects, especially books, and your house is set up to teach you hunt for it. In the process, you also discover your walking speed is infuriatingly slow, but there’s nothing for that now.

Muncha!

Walking down the stairs, we see a Skwovet leading us left, past the living room to the kitchen.

MOM: Good morning, Juliana! Oh! Already in your uniform and everything!

JULIANA: Up early… I didn’t sleep much.

MOM: Oh, hon. Still nervous?.

JULIANA: Yeah…

MOM: It’ll be better this time, dear, I promise.

JULIANA: Not the first time you said that, Mom.

MOM: I know, and sorry about that. But Naranja is a good school, they’ll look out for you there. Speaking of which, the school contacted me and said that you’re supposed to wait here a little while longer. Their words, not mine! Apparently there’s something very important for your first day that still hasn’t arrived.

(Doorbell Sound)

MOM: Maybe that’s the very thing we’re waiting for! Juliana, get the door, would you?

???: Do forgive the intrusion. You are...Miss Juliana, yes? On behalf of the academy, I must apologize for the late arrival of your enrollment documents. Ah. And also for my delay in introducing myself.

CLAVELL: I am the director of Naranja Academy. You may call me Mr. Clavell.

MOM: The director?! And you came in person to help my daughter with her first day?

CLAVELL: Well, I am responsible for the entire academy— including any failures on its part... So here at last are the enrollment documents that should have already been delivered to you.

MOM: Goodness, you really needn’t have... Since you’ve come all this way, can I at least offer you a cup of tea?

CLAVELL: Ah, no need to trouble yourself...

MOM: Juliana, I’ve got a thing or two to discuss with the director here. Why don’t you head back up to your room and finish getting ready for school? You’ll need your bag—and your hat as well! Now, Mr. Clavell, you simply must join me for a cuppa. This way...

CLAVELL: Well, how can I refuse such a kind offer?

A slow trudge up the stairs later…

MOM: Oh, just look at you! All ready for your big first day!

CLAVELL: Yes, the uniform of our storied academy suits you quite well indeed. Oh, gracious. How very careless of me.

CLAVELL: I had entirely forgotten that I’ve something else for you, Miss Juliana. A most important thing. But your living room is hardly the place for it. Would you care to follow me outside?

JULIANA: The administration already knows who I am. That’s a great start.

MOM: Honey, before we step outside. I know you’re worried, and you’re right to be. You’ve been through a lot. But I’ve talked it all over with Mr. Clavell. Everything you need is in place, I have his word on that, and if anything goes wrong you can always let me know and I’ll drop everything to help. You tell her just give this new school a chance. Can you do that for me?

JULIANA: … Okay, yeah. Yeah, I can do that.

MOM: Thank you, dear. Now go on.

Home (Outdoor) – Pokémon Scarlet & Violet: Original Soundtrack OST

CLAVELL: Right then, dear Pokémon. Time to come out of your Poké Balls.

CLAVELL: We provide each student entering the academy a Pokémon of their own. I’ll ask you to choose which among these three you’d like to have as your partner. Sprigatito, the Grass Cat Pokémon. Fuecoco, the Fire Croc Pokémon. And Quaxly, the Duckling Pokémon. They’re all very good company. Why, they usually refuse to even leave my side.

CLAVELL: What’s this? Hmm. So it turns out they’re more interested in you, Miss Juliana, than familiar old me. I do wish I could stay and see which one you’ll choose, but I must be off to my next home visit... I’ll be at the house just over there. Take your time with your decision, then come find me once your mind is made up. Now if you’ll excuse me. Until next we meet.

MOM: What a mannerly fellow that director of yours is! These three are all lovely—but you need to choose just one, right? Not an easy task! Why not take this opportunity to walk about with these little ones and get to know them? I’m sure they have lots to teach you! Oh! But before you go... I got you a little something to celebrate your big day! Take it with you if you’re going out on your own.

You obtained the Rotom Phone!

MOM: It’s a brand-new phone! It’ll help keep you from getting lost, so take good care of your new gadget, OK? Now off you go. Have fun!

The game lets us go again, but we can’t actually take a starter yet – we have a whole long walk before we have to decide. Of course, what would a Something Awful LP be without audience participation?

:siren: Vote on which starter you want me to take! :siren:

A: Quaxly, the Duckling Pokémon
Pros:
  • Overall stat spread is pretty good
  • Signature move plugs the one hole in the spread
  • Learns capoeira
  • Final evolution looks extremely fabulous
Cons:
  • There are better Water-types aplenty
  • Final evolution typing is just okay
  • Final evolution looks extremely stupid

B: Fuecoco, the Fire Croc Pokémon
Pros:
  • Fire-type is extremely useful early on
  • Final evolution has by far the best typing
  • Is a crocodile
  • Comes with a free cheese slice
Cons:
  • Reliant on signature move it do real damage later on
  • Has several hard counters against it
  • Final evolution is just an animal instead of a dude

C: Sprigatito, the Grass Cat Pokémon
Pros:
  • Probably the best-looking line imho
  • Signature move is cartoonishly good
  • Would share a joint with you
  • Final evolution is not on all fours
Cons:
  • Grass-type is redundant and not very useful early on
  • Final evolution has the worst typing of the three
  • Final evolution is not on all fours

Please bold your choice and what you want me to name it. I’ll pick whichever poke gets the most votes but I reserve the right to choose whichever name I like the best. :siren: Vote ends in roughly 24 hours! :siren: Also, please let me know you spot any misplaced words or pictures so I can get them fixed.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I've heard very mixed things about this one, I'll be interested to see how it plays out.

Sprigatito

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

You best take that Quaxly :honked:

Hell, it's implied in your thread title!

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Let's take the grassy cat. It's a cat, how can we say no?

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
Nice, an LP of this! I liked this generation and its story overall, I'm hoping you'll be able to show off what it did well and touch it up a bit.

Voting for Quaxly, I like a dapper duckling.

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

Professor Duck posted:

You best take that Quaxly :honked:

Hell, it's implied in your thread title!

This, you can't title the thread that and not have a dancing duck.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

Shiny777 posted:

This, you can't title the thread that and not have a dancing duck.

We follow the dancing duck. Or maybe it follows us. Hard to say sometimes.

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

I'm not seeing no names :colbert:.

Also, the possibility I'll have to use Quaquaval is making my blood run cold, even if it's pretty solid. It's the stupidest-looking final evolution in several generations, and that's saying something.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
This is true, I forgot to put a name, so have two instead:

Pompaduck or Duck Quixote

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

If we do get the cat, I vote for Dank Schemer, or if that is a little too outré, Snoot.

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
I'll suggest Dewey for a Quaxly name as well, if the duck is chosen.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
Sprigatito, and for its name Gatito because cat.

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat
Sprigatito, and I'm going to out myself as a filthy Homestuck and name it Nepeta

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug
Really enjoyed your Shield LP, excited/fascinated to see what's going on here.

Sprigatito

Sketchie
Nov 14, 2012

Let's make the LP about a literal dancing duck!

Quaxly, I summon you!

Zyxyz
Mar 30, 2010
Buglord
Spicy croc may be the objectively best of the starters, but with that thread title you can't not go Quaxly here instead. Also seconding Dewey as a name for it

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Falconier111 posted:

I'm not seeing no names :colbert:.

Also, the possibility I'll have to use Quaquaval is making my blood run cold, even if it's pretty solid. It's the stupidest-looking final evolution in several generations, and that's saying something.

How could you say that? Quaxley evolves into the pokemon version of one of the best JRPG characters in recent memory, Sylvando!

Tactless Ogre
Oct 31, 2011

I, too prefer Quaxly for the starter of choice, if only because I didn't choose it in either mode despite its great typing. But I'm seeing a lot of Deweys and not enough Turbo for it's name.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Oh cool, a Scarlet LP, let's see how it goe- oh, nice, you're gonna delve into the Spanish inspirations! I'd love to pepper with some additions as a Spanish myself, specially since the Spanish versions of the game actually directly reference real life places. I'll defer to you on history though, it's been 10 years since I took a class on that :v:.

On the starter, I vote for Quaxly named Quijano, a pretty appropiate name (ignoring the Fabulous~ final evo.)

GiantRockFromSpace fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Dec 13, 2022

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

dude789 posted:

How could you say that? Quaxley evolves into the pokemon version of one of the best JRPG characters in recent memory, Sylvando!

Just going to go with this.

Toyotasomi no Miko
Oct 23, 2016

dude789 posted:

:emptyquote:

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

I think you've trapped yourself with the duck from your thread title. But this is Spain, and that duck dances. I think we have a Flamencocean on our hands.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Oh cool, a Scarlet LP, let's see how it goe- oh, nice, you're gonna delve into the Spanish inspirations! I'd love to pepper with some additions as a Spanish myself, specially since the Spanish versions of the game actually directly reference real life places. I'll defer to you on history though, it's been 10 years since I took a class on that :v:.

On the starter, I vote for Quaxly named Quijano, a pretty appropiate name (ignoring the Fabulous~ final evo.)

Actually, you know what, changing my vote to Silvando, but with an i.

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

JohnCompany posted:

I think you've trapped yourself with the duck from your thread title.

:negative:

Voting is now closed!

Is there a place where these references get listed out, or maybe I can badger you with the occasional PM to get clarifications? I was planning on running through history posts based on where we are in relation to real Spain, but Pokemon doesn’t really design its regions like that and I can’t find anywhere that discusses which areas draw from which places. I know just enough about Spanish politics to be paranoid about mixing up nationalities.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Falconier111 posted:

:negative:

Voting is now closed!

Is there a place where these references get listed out, or maybe I can badger you with the occasional PM to get clarifications? I was planning on running through history posts based on where we are in relation to real Spain, but Pokemon doesn’t really design its regions like that and I can’t find anywhere that discusses which areas draw from which places. I know just enough about Spanish politics to be paranoid about mixing up nationalities.

I was mostly planning to mention them as the LP reached them, but if you need a reference Bulbapedia has trivia with the name origins for every city and some locations though not all. I even realized some details I didn't knew about, albeit also some oddities.

Honestly Paldea is actually surprisingly accurate to Spain besides some (sometimes big) oddities. Also don't worry, as long as you don't ever mention Catalonia and Spain in the same sentence nobody will send hit squads after you :v:

(On PMs, I don't have platinum, can one reply to them if they recieve one or do I need :10bux:?)

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Ah, better keep an eye on this one.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Good to see you've got this up and running. Shame I missed the vote but I would have pushed the duck on you as well. :ducksiren:

I haven't actually played this yet, will be picking up Violet sometime in the new year, but I've seen enough footage to have a general idea of how things shake out.

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

I was mostly planning to mention them as the LP reached them, but if you need a reference Bulbapedia has trivia with the name origins for every city and some locations though not all. I even realized some details I didn't knew about, albeit also some oddities.

Honestly Paldea is actually surprisingly accurate to Spain besides some (sometimes big) oddities. Also don't worry, as long as you don't ever mention Catalonia and Spain in the same sentence nobody will send hit squads after you :v:

(On PMs, I don't have platinum, can one reply to them if they recieve one or do I need :10bux:?)

I don't think you can use PMs at all, but honestly that page is about all I would have asked from you. That'll make my life easier, definitely.

Also, it looks like I'll be able to make use of those vacation days after all. Updates should come in significantly faster over the next couple weeks until work starts back up in the new year.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

OK, so since it's the duck, I have a new name suggestion: Gonzo Horrible.

("ganso horrible" is Spanish for "horrible goose" :honk:).

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Falconier111 posted:

I don't think you can use PMs at all, but honestly that page is about all I would have asked from you. That'll make my life easier, definitely.

Also, it looks like I'll be able to make use of those vacation days after all. Updates should come in significantly faster over the next couple weeks until work starts back up in the new year.

Oh, as a bonus, I remembered the Spanish wiki, WikiDex, also exists. It's pretty incomplete but includes more Spanish references on names, turns out the French and German localizations sometimes even use different cities for names!

megamariox
Jun 4, 2011
This game is actually pretty fun. I'm currently working on the Path of Legends with my Quaxly. Have already finished Victory Road with my Sprigatito. I plan to do Operation Starfall with my Fuecoco.
Also as for a name for our funny duck... I gotta go with Donald.

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

Home (Outdoor) – Pokémon Scarlet & Violet: Original Soundtrack OST

We begin our journey with an excruciating stroll to the next house over. It isn’t very far, but we can’t move at more than a walking pace at first. At least the starters follow us around being cute.

NPC: This is Cabo Poco! It’s not much—just a little pinch of community—but it’s home!

After a little while (triggered for me after talking to this NPC halfway there), the game lets you run, which is nice, but you can only run so fast. It’s hard to communicate how bad this movement feels, especially since when starting out probably already know this is an open world game and you’re going to have to hover far greater distances. At least it only lasts until you toddle up to the nearby mansion.

As we walk through the gates…

We turn around to see the Pokémon following us have already gone off to have fun.

Choose Your Starter – Pokémon Scarlet & Violet: Original Soundtrack OST

NEMONA: Are you these three’s Trainer?

CLAVELL: Not quite. Miss Juliana has yet to make her choice, you see.

I do wonder which of them she will choose as her first Pokémon...

Nemona Theme – Pokémon Scarlet & Violet: Original Soundtrack OST

NEMONA: Buenas! We haven’t met, have we?

CLAVELL: I must say, I wasn’t expecting to see you here quite so soon.

NEMONA: Hang on, Director... Is this who I think it is?

CLAVELL: Yes, this is our academy’s newest student, Miss Juliana. She will be attending as of today.

NEMONA: So you’re that kid who moved in up the road! I’ve been dying to find out more about you! I’m Nemona! Normally I live in the school dorms, but home is here. Whaddya say, new neighbor— wanna be friends?

JULIANA:

NEMONA: Huh? What’s wrong—did I scare you off? Maybe I came on a little strong!

CLAVELL: Miss Nemona is president of our student council and a Champion-ranked Trainer in her own right.

NEMONA: I absolutely love Pokémon battling! In fact, we should battle right now—you and me!

CLAVELL: Easy, now—you two will be in the same class, so you’ll have plenty of time to battle later! And get to know one another better, of course.

NEMONA: We’re gonna be neighbors AND classmates? Nice! We’ll be able to battle all we want!

CLAVELL: On that note, Miss Juliana…Have you decided which of these Pokémon you would like to be your first partner?

NEMONA: Oh my gosh, your very first Pokémon. I’m getting chills just watching you pick!

We can choose any of these little guys by walking up to them and making our way through the dialogue. General consensus puts Fuecoco as best starter of the generation (Fire/Ghost is a terrifying combo), but I chose Sprigatito for the memes my first time through and found it plenty potent on its own. And Quaxley? I think Quaxley’s final evolution looks unbelievably stupid, and I was hoping the thread would use anything else so I wouldn’t have to look at it for the back third of the game.

Naturally, you people decided to follow the dancing duck and voted overwhelmingly for Quaxley. I considered taking the suggestion for a Sprigatito named Nepeta just to spite the thread, but…

dude789 posted:

NEMONA: That’s Quaxly, a Water-type Pokémon! It may seem quiet, but its mighty streams of water can put out any fire—you’ll see! Would you like to go with our good Water-type Pokémon Quaxly here?

Here we are, darlings!

CLAVELL: Quaxley seems to have taken quite a liking to you, Miss Juliana. This is your first Pokémon, yes? Please raise it with love and care. And of course, be sure to keep it tucked safely inside a Poké Ball.

NEMONA: Juliana... I can’t believe you actually chose Quaxley...

NEMONA: I mean, like, way to make the perfect choice for you! You two make such a good combo! Can I choose one of these Pokémon too, Director Clavell?

CLAVELL: Oh, but...did you not receive a Pokémon when you entered the academy, Miss Nemona?

NEMONA: Not back then, no! I had other Pokémon I was focused on raising at the time. But now I want to raise a new Pokémon alongside Juliana while she raises her own new partner!

CLAVELL: Indeed, a rather splendid idea. If you wish to raise one of these Pokémon on equal footing with Miss Juliana here, I shall be more than happy to allow it.

NEMONA: Yesss!

NEMONA: Since Juliana chose Quaxley, I’ll go for this little one! Nice to meet you, Fuecoco! Welcome to the team!

Fuecoco gurgles happily.

NEMONA: Now that we’ve chosen our Pokémon, we HAVE to battle! I’ll be waiting for you down at the beach. Come join me when you’re ready!

CLAVELL: As you may have noticed, Miss Nemona is a tad overly fond of Pokémon battling. But I do hope you’ll join her for a battle. It will help you get to know your own Pokémon as well.

Once again, the game cuts us loose to – wait, what’s that? Ah, whatever, we can investigate that later later.

NEMONA: Over here!

NEMONA: Anyone can be a Pokémon Trainer as long as they have Pokémon by their side! And it’s our duty as Trainers to help our Pokémon grow stronger through battle! So, you ready to battle me, Juliana?

JULIANA: I – well – uh, sure, but –

NEMONA: Oye! Don’t get cold feet on me now! I wanna see what you’ve got!

CLAVELL: Miss Nemona.

CLAVELL: Miss Nemona. I trust you remember that Miss Juliana is wholly inexperienced in Pokémon battling?

NEMONA: Heh, whoops... Good call, Director. I was about to send out one of my usual partners right off the bat... I guess I’ll take this chance to try out my new buddy instead! C’mon, Juliana! Let’s have us a fruitful battle!

Nemona Battle Theme – Pokémon Scarlet & Violet: Original Soundtrack OST

NEMONA: I know this is your first Pokémon battle, so let’s just have some fun!

If you’ve ever played a Pokémon game before, there’s nothing here that should take you by surprise. If you haven’t or need a refresher, I spent frankly too many electrons on this rundown in my other Pokémon LP, and mechanically speaking these may as well be the same fight.

It is, however, entirely possible to lose if you have no idea what you’re doing. Fuecoco here moves faster than Quaxley, hits almost as hard, and can break out Leer to drop your defense. If you just try to use the starter-standard physical attack over and over again (originally all you needed to make it through your first battle), Nemona will weaken your ‘mon with whatever stat-reducing move hers has and beat it to death. The structure of the fight forces nervous new players to experiment with stat-dropping moves and type advantages of giving them enough room to figure out how before going down. Still an extremely easy fight, but Generation 9 goes significantly harder than its predecessor and you can kind of already tell.

Fuecoco still goes down after a Water Gun or two.

NEMONA: Wow! Not bad, neighbor!

Nemona Theme – Pokémon Scarlet & Violet: Original Soundtrack OST

NEMONA: Look at you, winning your first battle ever! You’ve got even more potential than I thought! You’re gonna be a strong Trainer for sure! Hey, if you can battle like that on your first try, you definitely have what it takes to be a Trainer! But now I want to try a different strategy! Let’s go again—just one more battle!

CLAVELL: Miss Juliana and herQuaxley are surely weary already from that last battle.

NEMONA: Ah, sorry! I got kinda caught up in all the excitement...

NEMONA: I’m really sorry, Juliana. Same to your Quaxley, too.

JULIANA: I – it’s okay, I’m not used to it. They didn’t let us use Pokémon much at my old school.

NEMONA: :aaa:

JULIANA: I’m just… Not used to people telling me I can battle.

NEMONA: I think we’re gonna fix that. We’ll definitely battle more!

CLAVELL: You two seem to be becoming fast friends, though you’ve only just met. Can I count on you to take your new schoolmate here under your wing, Miss Nemona? I’m sure she can learn a great deal from a Champion-ranked Trainer, such as yourself.

NEMONA: You bet, sir! Oh, that reminds me! Since you’re new to training Pokémon, there’s an app you definitely need! You have a smartphone, right? Lemme see it for a sec.

The Pokédex app was added to your Rotom Phone!

NEMONA: The Pokédex will automatically register any Pokémon you catch. It’s a must-have for Pokémon Trainers! It’s a super handy app!

NEMONA: Our homeroom teacher, Mr. Jacq, actually made it himself!

… Did he? Did he really?

CLAVELL: Back in my day, we used ordinary paper and handwritten notes to compile our Pokédexes. It’s quite the age we live in now.

NEMONA: Oof! Filling out a Pokédex by hand? I can’t even imagine how much work that would take!

CLAVELL: Ohoho... No, I suppose you can’t. Yet no matter how much the times may change, the wonder of meeting new Pokémon never does. That is a truly timeless pleasure. And the more Pokémon that you encounter, the more you’ll find yourself growing and changing. I hope you will both work hard toward the goal of completing your own Pokédexes. Now, Miss Nemona, I do still have a few matters to discuss with your parents. Could I depend on you to see Miss Juliana to the academy? You would be doing me quite the favor.

NEMONA: Of course! Leave it to me!

CLAVELL: Then I leave her in your capable hands. All right, little one. It’s time you and I were on our way.

The Sprigatito purrs as they wander off.

NEMONA: Maybe I oughta make a little more time to work on my Pokédex along with all my battling... Oh! Right! Speaking of Pokédexes, Juliana, you’ve probably never caught a wild Pokémon, right? I’ll show you the ropes before I take you to the academy. Come with me!

JULIANA: … “Remember that you not know until you ASK.”

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Ah, Nemona. A rival that puts Barry to shame in their wish to have battles. It is interesting we get a roval who has actual experience with battles instead of also starting out.

And there's already a bit we can talk about Paldea! Cabo Poco, outside of meaning "cape of few" in Spanish, is named in Spanish, French and Italian; Cahiz, Cuchalaga and Dosilla, referencing the cities of Cádiz, Málaga and Sevilla respectively, all famous cities from the very south of Spain. Which fits since while there's not much to see, it fits the location and they're popular vacation spots so you could take both houses to be akin to vacation houses. Also means Nemona should have a very Southern accent so you're welcome to imagine that.

That said, there's another possibility which might be very funny in retrospect, but I'd like to see Juliana's backstory first.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

Ooh, somehow I managed to miss that you'd started this. (I don't think my being late matters, my vote shouldn't have been enough to save you from the duck.) This should be fun.

I don't think I'm going to be able to contribute as much here compared to Shield, because I haven't played this one yet and I'm not sure if I'm going to (waiting to see if the performance issues get fixed, and also quite frankly I'm just feeling Pokemon-ed out after BDSP and Legends Arceus). I'm looking forward to getting to experience it this way, though!

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

You have a duck with a pompadour, and I am jealous.

Instead of just saying his/her name, he should speak in '50s greaser slang

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
I fell behind in the last of these you did, but I actually want to pick this one up myself soon, so I'll do my best to follow along this time.

DapperDuck
Apr 3, 2008

Fashionable people,
you're out of luck.
The most dapper one here,
is Dapper the Duck.
The correct starter pick, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

Despite promising quicker updates, a couple days ago Word crashed so dramatically it completely wiped all the formatting automation I'd spent two weeks setting up, so it'll take me a few days to restore it all :negative: