Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

S T A R M E T A L C A S T E
(Silence)

Now another long, uneventful walk back past the front gate of Nemona’s mansion, where we run into a familiar face.

Home (Outdoor) – Pokémon Scarlet & Violet: Original Soundtrack OST

MOM: Oh, Juliana! I hear that Nemona here will be taking you to school?

NEMONA: That’s right, ma’am. Leave it to me!

MOM: So you’ve already managed to make a friend! And I read about all the wonderful teachers you’ll have looking after you at the school. Plus so many handy facilities you can use as much as you like! Add in your new friend, Nemona, and it sounds like your school life is shaping up to be fantastic! Now, you’ll be staying in the school dorms, so I want you to promise me you’ll eat proper meals. Here’s a bit of spending money to start off with. I also packed a lunch for your first day!

You get a Sandwich from Mom!

MOM: Oh! And maybe you’d better take these, too.

You gained 5 Potions!

MOM: Use them on that precious little partner of yours, should it get hurt in battle. I know every day in your new life is going to be full of exciting experiences, far from home. Just try to savor them all—the good times and the hard times, too! But if you ever want to come back home, you know your bed is always ready for you. Oh, all right then! You two had better be off, I suppose. Take care on the way to school!

NEMONA: Your mother’s so nice, Juliana! Oh! But I was going to teach you how to catch wild Pokémon! C’mon, vamos! This way!

JULIANA: Um… Actually, I need to ask you something.

NEMONA: :confused:

JULIANA: Were you… Told anything? About me? Given advice, or… I don’t know…

NEMONA: No? The Director just said we had a new student and told me to look out for you.

JULIANA: Oh. Okay, this is good, I can work with this! So, do you –

NEMONA: Look, look! All right! This here is Poco Path!

Poco Path – Pokémon Scarlet & Violet: Original Soundtrack OST

NEMONA: It’s the path that leads to adventure for you and me! Out here, things are different than in town. You’re gonna see wild Pokémon out and about. They’ll be on the path and in the grass and such! Get too close to one, and you’ll have to battle. But you’ve got Quaxley for that, right? And if you want to try to catch a Pokémon, you gotta use... a good ol’ Poké Ball! I’ve got tons. Have a few!

You gained 5 Poké Balls!

NEMONA: Oooh, what luck! Time for some learning by doing! Try battling this Lechonk, Juliana!

Wild Battle ~ Poco Path – Pokémon Scarlet & Violet: Original Soundtrack OST

Oh boy, our first wild battle! Too bad it’s against something I really don’t give a poo poo about. Lechonk here is a truffle hog, a nod to an industry and subculture that goes back centuries and employs tens of thousands in the peninsula. Unfortunately, as a Pokémon it’s completely unremarkable filler, the sort of thing would’ve been a rat or raccoon in another generation. I do beat it up and catch it – the game is obscenely generous with Poké Balls, Pokémon are easier to catch than they’ve ever been, and you still get experience for capture – but unless someone has a really killer name for it it’ll sit my party long enough to end up in a box once I catch more interesting Pokémon.

NEMONA: Hala! That was awesome! You caught the very first Pokémon you went for! I’m crummy when it comes to actually catching Pokémon. Maybe YOU should give ME tips!Anyway, have some more Poké Balls just in case. Not every catch works out!

You gained 10 Poké Balls!

See what I mean?

NEMONA: Weaken the Pokémon, then throw the Poké Ball! Remember that, and you’ll be fine! Now go battle those wild Pokémon and catch some of ’em!

NEMONA: Let’s meet back up at that lighthouse over there! You can see our school from the top!

With that, the game finally gives us some space. With the basic mechanics established and enough supplies last us a while, we get to actually play the game for a bit. Nemona even heals us up if we talk to her. That’s nice of her.

Remember that glowing spot I passed? That was one of the game’s many, many item pickups scattered across the map like Ubisoft collectibles, and you can pick them up without stopping by running over them and mashing A. These red, shining Poké Balls are ordinary items (Poké Balls, healing items, vendor trash) and are by far the most common, but you can also find yellow glints on the ground (rare and powerful items) or yellow Poké Balls off in corners (TMs). Playing conservatively and making sure to use Pokémon Centers frequently, you can be the game without ever buying an item just by picking up stuff you run across in the overworld.

Unfortunately, we are still at the beginning of an open world game. Big chunks of the overworld are either difficult to access or possible to get to without travel upgrades we’ll be getting later.

Poco Path has a nice spread of simple starter ‘mons, but they aren’t very interesting to fight or worse catch. Up on a cliff near some palm trees we run to our first actual target – Pawmi, the first stage of this generation’s electric mouse line. Just hitting it paralyzes poor Sylvando and forces me to trek back to Nemona for a free heal. We have our first party member! Unlike in certain past generations, you can just rename your dudes from the main menu, so I don’t have to stop the game in its tracks to ask for your input.

Anyway, after a bit of puttering around, we come near a split in the road in front of the lighthouse. As we walk up to it…

NEMONA: Hey, Juliana! You getting the hang of how to catch Pokémon OK? Let me see. So far you’ve caught—

(Echoing Roar)

A roar shakes the screen.

NEMONA: Whoa! What was that?!

Another roar, this one softer and weaker.

NEMONA: I’ve never heard that kind of cry before! Could be some strong Pokémon or something! I say we find whatever made that cry! Let’s take a look around, Juliana! Just be careful—there’s a kinda unsafe cave not far from here, so steer clear! And I know your Rotom Phone can help keep you safe, but watch your step by these cliffs anyway!

We only take a few steps down the side path before the game takes control from us for a cutscene.

As we walk up to the top of a cliff…

… The camera pans to reveal the Pokémon from the opening, collapsed on the ground and menaced by a pair of Houndours.

It scares them off with an earthshaking roar.

One so earthshaking it breaks the cliff, sending Juliana off the edge.

We need a name for our new Pawmi. And, if you have an absolutely :aaaaa: name for the Lechonck, I’ll throw that in too.

Falconier111 fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Dec 20, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

Is LeChuck too on the nose?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

I named my Lechonk Sir Francis. As in Sir Francis Bacon.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Oh, please. Lechonk is adorable and absolutely valid, and Merienda is a perfect name for them.

As for Pawmi, I propose El Picachu. Because that's absolutely what Paldean moms name Pawmis.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Pawmii sports.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I'm in favor of El Picachu, yeah.

For LeChonk, I recommend Stonker.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Incidentally in the first area, you can just chuck a Pokeball at the Pokemon and it'll be a guaranteed catch. This has been something of a mainstay since XY where the first route's Pokemon are guaranteed to be caught to help ease the player in. Along with the catch rate just being boosted on lower leveled mons even past that point. Though I'm not really sure what counts as a "first area" in Scarlet, and my experience is that catches seemed to be guaranteed for a while. At least until the next blatant "route" or whatever equivalent.

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022
I honestly really like how many different mons the early game chucks at you this gen, complete with a solid spread of the type chart available. Better than most earlier gens, at any rate.

There’s a lot one can complain about in this game, but the region dex is great in Paldea.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Falconier111 posted:

Big chunks of the overworld are either difficult to access or possible to get you without travel upgrades we’ll be getting later.

Is this supposed to say “impossible to get to”?

Falconier111 posted:

Up on a cliff near some palm trees we run to our first actual target – Pawmi, the first stage of this generation’s electric mouse line. Just kidding paralyzes poor Sylvando and forces me to trek back to Nemona for a free heal.

I’m not sure what word is missing here.

Also seriously tempted to name the Pawmi “Kidding”

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Why yes, I DO have enough CON to whip my hair.

Lechonk's design is pretty good, though the evolution looks pretty stupid.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Zurai posted:

I named my Lechonk Sir Francis. As in Sir Francis Bacon.

Okay, that's a good one.

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

AweStriker posted:

Is this supposed to say “impossible to get to”?

I’m not sure what word is missing here.

Also seriously tempted to name the Pawmi “Kidding”

Much appreciated, corrected them both.

Araxxor posted:

Incidentally in the first area, you can just chuck a Pokeball at the Pokemon and it'll be a guaranteed catch. This has been something of a mainstay since XY where the first route's Pokemon are guaranteed to be caught to help ease the player in. Along with the catch rate just being boosted on lower leveled mons even past that point. Though I'm not really sure what counts as a "first area" in Scarlet, and my experience is that catches seemed to be guaranteed for a while. At least until the next blatant "route" or whatever equivalent.

I… I did not know that. poo poo, I need to test that out.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Falconier111 posted:

Much appreciated, corrected them both.

I… I did not know that. poo poo, I need to test that out.

Turns out it's just Poco Path. I ended up getting lucky in my first playthrough beyond that. You do get a boosted catch rate against lower leveled Pokemon that diminishes until level 21 where said bonus goes away entirely though.

The yellow sparkle items also have another trait to them. They regenerate over time unlike Poke Ball items and TMs.

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

Given that a lot of the Pikachu-like ‘mons over the generations have been anywhere from bad gimmick pokemon to just plain underwhelming, it was very refreshing to find that Pawmi is really, really solid and also very easy to fully evolve. El Picachu works for him. Lechonk is really forgettable like you said, I feel like Poco Path only has a couple of particularly notable pokemon. Not really that out of line considering it’s the starting area! Fortunately we’ll have tons of options in short order.

Sometimes I swear that the pokeball items all over the place also respawn, but it could be that I’m just bad at picking places clean the first time I’m there. There are truly ridiculous amounts of floor candy around!

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Ayndin posted:

Sometimes I swear that the pokeball items all over the place also respawn, but it could be that I’m just bad at picking places clean the first time I’m there. There are truly ridiculous amounts of floor candy around!

No, I'm pretty sure I've gone back to the same place later and had new red pokeball items there. They definitely don't respawn as fast as the shiny ground items but I'm pretty sure they do eventually spawn new ones.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Hell, I swear even TMs respawn. Pokeballs absoluteky do otherwise why do I end uo with 40+ of every healing item.

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

What, you think they’d let a main character die right away? Turns out Nemona wasn’t kidding about your phone’s safety features; we grab for it when it flies out of our pocket and it slows our fall enough for us to walk it off.

Meanwhile, those Houndour are booking it from the Pokémon powerful enough to break a cliffside with its voice.

That doesn’t mean it’s in any position to attack them, though.

Meeting the Mysterious Pokemon – Pokémon Scarlet & Violet: Original Soundtrack OST

It groans softly as we approach.

The mysterious Pokémon seems to be too weak to move... Maybe you can give it something to help it perk up?

We can try to give it anything in our inventory, but it’s not exactly interested in our phone. Or, you know, the kind of medicine that could heal it. We have to give it our lunch.

After giving the sandwich a good sniff, the Pokémon lunges forward and snaps the whole thing out of our hands, wolfing it down in moments.

It gets up and shakes itself off…

… Letting off a happy little cry in the process :3:.

But we aren’t its priority.

It pads off towards a small tidal cave in the nearby cliff…

… Before it lets out another cry…

… And transforms into something new.

Something significantly more bipedal.

It glances back at us…

… Before vanishing into the cave.

Or so the cutscene would lead us to think. In fact, once we get control again, the Pokémon stops and waits for us to follow it in.

Cave Theme – Pokémon Scarlet & Violet: Original Soundtrack OST theme

This next area is an odd one. On the one hand, it works a lot like an interactive cutscene; the Pokémon walks slower than you and you can’t run ahead of it, but it waits for you if you fall too far behind and moves at a respectable enough speed you don’t feel inclined to dick around exploring. Also, you can’t access your menu through this whole sequence: no saving, no healing, no interacting with your party, nothing. It’s like the game expects you to focus entirely on following the Pokémon.

On the other hand, the cave is laid out just like any other wild area. You can pick up items, get in fights, and catch Pokémon, and in fact some of the Pokémon here are very much worth catching – nothing earthshaking, but Diglett is a reliable Ground type and Houndour is the first Fire type you can catch (and the last one you’ll see for a while). But the game won’t let you access your menu, so you can’t rearrange or heal your party like you’d want to in a normal area. It’s a very strange design choice.

Anyway, not too far into the cave…

NEMONA: Oyeee! Juliana!

NEMONA: There you are, Juliana! You OK?! You’re not hurt, right?

JULIANA: Um, I’m managing!

NEMONA: Thank goodness. I was really worried! If you’d gotten hurt because I said we should go looking for whatever made that cry... No, never mind that! Right now we’ve gotta focus on getting you back up here! You’ve just gotta find some way to climb out of there! If you can get close enough, I’ll try pulling you up with one of my Pokémon’s moves!

NEMONA: Hey, what’s that Pokémon in front of you?! It looks SUPER strong! Kinda seems like it’s waiting for you... Does it want you to follow it?

While most dialogue comes at you in text box form, occasionally you’ll get characters narrating in the background or having conversations as you move through an area. You don’t really see this outside of major plot beats, though; I think it only happens now and in one sequence near the end.

NEMONA: Hey, heads up—some pretty rough and rowdy Houndour live in this cave! I’m glad you’ve got your bodyguard, but watch your back! They’re strong!

About way halfway through, we see a whole wave of Houndour come pouring out ahead of us.

The Pokémon just roars again and they panic and flee. No big deal. Yet.

Near the end of the cave, it claws apart a boulder in the way without stopping. It’s pretty cool, but it happened so fast I missed it while item hunting – and since the menu has actually been disabled since we walked down the cliffside path in the last update, I had to go back and retake the shot after doing the whole sequence over again :argh:.

NEMONA: Oh my gosh, it straight up pulverized that rock! How powerful even IS it?! I wonder what that move was. Man, I wanna see it up close!

Thanks for rubbing it in :mad:. But it isn’t long before we hit the next plot flag.

NEMONA: Juliana, look out! Something’s coming!

NEMONA: Behind you—it’s behind you!

Cave Theme (ALT) – Pokémon Scarlet & Violet: Original Soundtrack OST

Yeah. Level 40. In a game where most dangerous enemies clock in somewhere in the low 70s. I suppose you could theoretically just grind forever in Poco Path until you reach that point, but realistically, even if you put some real attention into leveling the last area, you won’t be breaking the mid-teens. It doesn’t matter anyway; after the Houndoom takes down one Pokémon, the next cutscene triggers automatically.

The Houndoom roars in victory as we search for some desperate way out.

The mysterious Pokémon, far enough away to leave us behind if it likes…

… Instead makes a decision.

The two Pokémon bellow challenges at each other…

… But the Houndoom’s challenge also summons another wave of Houndours to surround its enemies.

The mysterious Pokémon prepares to defend itself…

… But it comes to protect us instead.

NEMONA: Heeeeeey!

NEMONA: Up here! Quick!

The Pokémon bounds up the rocks to the cave entrance, with us in its arms…

… As Nemona cheers.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Oh man, I just finished re-reading your Shield LP, and didn't expect this, I am on board even if I haven't gotten SV for myself just yet.

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

Presented without further comment.

Luca_024
Dec 26, 2022
I honestly really like how SV take the "meet the legendary at the end" staple and turn on its head, it definitely made me feel that much more attached to koraidon

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
I just got this game and I already have more than twenty Pokedex entries. Still looking forward to your continued coverage, but I'm also eager to gently caress around on my end and see what my teams can do.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

The Inlet Grotto has a small reference in Spanish, where it's the only language it was given a name: Gruta Caleta, referencing Caleta Beach in Cádiz whoch checks out with it being next to Cahiz and having a small beach.

Also normally I'd be mad giving someone my sandwich but mom seems to have put lettuce on it so fine by me :v:

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Also normally I'd be mad giving someone my sandwich but mom seems to have put lettuce on it so fine by me :v:

Even if that someone was a giant dragon? I like my sandwiches as much as the next goon but it would have to be one hell of a sandwich to compete with a dragon.

Luca_024
Dec 26, 2022

Black Robe posted:

Even if that someone was a giant dragon? I like my sandwiches as much as the next goon but it would have to be one hell of a sandwich to compete with a dragon.

A sandwich is a small price to pay in return for the friendship of an ancient dragon, especially if said dragon behaves like a big kitty

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

And I mean based on some of the absolute poo poo sandwiches that get you powers, how bad must your mom's sandwich have been to not have had any at all?

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

Meeting the Mysterious Pokemon – Pokémon Scarlet & Violet: Original Soundtrack OST

NEMONA: Way to go! For a second, I thought you were both goners!

NEMONA: Whoa! What’s wrong?!

NEMONA: Maybe it used up all its power? What is this Pokémon, anyway? It kinda looks like a Cyclizar, but I’ve never seen one quite like this before... And now it looks so different from a minute ago. You think it’s OK?

JULIANA: :stare:

NEMONA: Still a bit shocked, huh? Well, all that aside, I’m seriously glad to have you back up here in one piece! Let’s exchange numbers so we can get in touch if we somehow get separated again! And here—this’ll let you teach your Pokémon a move to help it battle stronger opponents!

You obtained TM032 Swift!

NEMONA: Think before you use it, though! TMs can only be used once. You know...that battle down there was really something. You and this fella looked perfectly in sync facing down that Houndoom!

JULIANA: In sync? I was just following it around…

NEMONA: What?! You didn’t even tell it what to do? I guess it’s not like you’re this Pokémon’s Trainer yet, huh...

NEMONA: Oh good! Looks like it perked up a little! Do you think this fella was the one making that mysterious cry we heard before? If you do become its Trainer, you gotta let me battle against it! You’ve both been through enough for a minute! I think we better take a breather. Let’s just get to the lighthouse—that’ll be a good spot to relax.

The game frees us up again just long enough to walk the few dozen steps over to that lighthouse. We do, however, get a chance to try something Araxxor pointed out in the thread.

Araxxor posted:

Just to add a little variety, the game has a Lechonk pop across the path to intercept us.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/tempmedia.tumblr.com/a251f87cce4c5849558cbf79f53da5a0/33yu0cma3lq8o884gg00cos4c_tumblr_tmp.mp4

Turns out Araxxor is absolutely right! Poco Path Pokémon can be automatically caught; doesn’t matter if they have full health, you just throw a ball, get one shakes, and off they go to your box. I’d noticed the one-shakes thing earlier but hadn’t thought anything of, so good to know it has an explanation.

Incidentally, the Switch has a built-in function that captures the last 30 seconds of playtime as a webm, so if I really have to show something in motion, you’ll be seeing more webms in the future. I’d convert them to gifs to make them easier to view, but for whatever reason Switch webms don’t compress well with standard conversion tools and nobody wants a gif that’s 93% the size of a proper webm. If anyone knows how to pull off that conversion, I’d love to know!

Anyway, as we approach the lighthouse, we can see a dude standing by the window. A dude with some extremely luscious bangs.

ARVEN: Why, that little...

Event BGM 09 – Pokémon Scarlet & Violet: Original Soundtrack OST (Meeting Arven)

ARVEN: What’re you doing out here?! I’m not talking to you two. You can shove off.

NEMONA: Wait, I know you... Aren’t you Arven? You’re enrolled in the humanities track, right? And aren’t you the son of that Pokémon researcher—Professor Sada?

ARVEN: Doesn’t matter who my mom is! The real issue here is what in the world this Pokémon is doing out here! And what is with this form it’s in?!

JULIANA:

NEMONA: See, we heard this strange cry, and we tried to investigate, but Juliana fell off a cliff... That Pokémon saved her, but it seems like it wore itself out in the process. It got kinda... slumpy afterward. But you shoulda seen it before! It looked totally different—it was unbelievably strong!

ARVEN: Well, yeah. As it should be. But it can’t fight while it’s like this. The form Koraidon takes in battle... That’s its true form.

NEMONA: Koraidon? Is that this Pokémon’s name? How’d you know it?

Koraidon cries out again.

ARVEN: You can’t go in the lab. It’s locked.

JULIANA:

ARVEN: I don’t remember ever seeing you around. But given the uniform...you go to the academy too, do you? Koraidon isn’t the sort of Pokémon that any old Trainer can hope to command. It’s special.

NEMONA: Special how? What sort of Pokémon is it?

ARVEN: You think you’re up to ordering Koraidon around? Then how ’bout I test your worthiness?

JULIANA: … I think it hurt itself protecting me. I think I’m kind of obligated to look after it now.

ARVEN: Heh! Well, look at you—quite the little go-getter! I’ve been feeling all out of sorts, so I’m gonna use this battle to blast these doldrums away!

Arven Battle Theme – Pokémon Scarlet & Violet: Original Soundtrack OST (RECOMMENDED LISTENING)

This isn’t exactly a complicated battle (despite the :rock: theme). A level 5 Skwovet is a level 5 Skwovet; two Water Guns from Sylvando send it packing. This fight only exists to signal that the game won’t throw unwinnable situations like in the cave at you very often. That said, it is entirely possible to throw the battle. The games even calls you out on it.

NEMONA: Juliana... Were you going easy on him? You could have won that.

ARVEN: Yeah, you’re in some serious trouble if you can’t even beat someone like me. I’d be worried about my future, if I were you.

Obviously, we didn’t do that.

NEMONA: Wow, Juliana! That was awesome!

ARVEN: I guess I wasn’t ever going to stand a chance using some Pokémon I’d only just caught...

But if you really think you can take Koraidon off my hands for me...you’ll need this. It’s the Poké Ball that brute’s been kept in.

You obtained Koraidon’s Poke Ball!

NEMONA: So why’d YOU have it?

ARVEN: Anyway, that thing’s your problem now, not mine. Good luck.

NEMONA: What? Oye! Can you not hear me or something? Fine, be that way! But you better actually show up for school! What a weirdo... That Arven guy definitely knows more than he’s letting on. Next time, he and I are battling! I’m gonna wring some answers outta him! But oh, right—we gotta climb the lighthouse! Can’t wait to show you the view of our school!

:eng101: The first time I played this game, I was kind of confused why Arven’s “in the humanities track” despite being in what seems to be high school – what is this, college prep? Turns out, it’s actually a thing in Spain. Now, I’m no expert and most of this is based on Internet research, so take the following with a grain of salt; I’ll happily edit out parts of this section that aren’t accurate and add commentary from people who’ve been through the real deal to this post, but given how much emphasis this game puts on schooling, it might be useful to go through the Spanish education system.

So, like school systems in a lot of English-speaking countries, Spanish schools have four levels: preschool, primary, secondary, and college. Unlike most Anglophone schools, however, they don’t use a year-based educational structure; they do measure what years people are in, but progress is structured in multi-year “cycles” which (as far as I can tell, my sources aren’t too clear) concentrate assessment testing in the last part of the cycle instead of at the end of each year. Preschool (no cycles, ages 3 to 6) isn’t mandatory but primary school (three two-year cycles from 6 to 12) is; schools mostly focus on Spanish, math, science, and social studies (which is broader than its Anglophone equivalents), with phys ed, the arts, and a secondary language to a lesser extent. If the school’s in her part of Spain with a recognized local language, like Catalonia or the Basque Country, they throw that in there too. Catholicism has had a huge influence on Spanish education, and there used to be religious classes in there as well, but those were made voluntary and supplemented by civics courses just a couple years ago. In fact, the whole system is currently undergoing a bunch of reforms around curriculum and teaching methods, and soon enough technology courses might take up as much school time as any of the four core curriculums, but the laws putting that in place haven’t gone into effect yet.

Secondary education covers two cycles from ages 12 to 16. The first cycle covers the same subjects in more detail with a few elective courses added; the second puts even more emphasis on electives until by the last year students are designing their own curriculum. Mandatory education ends at 16, but students often spend the next two years either going to a vocational school or sticking around for a sort of college-prep program called the Bachillerato; it has three rough focuses, arts, technical sciences, and humanities/social sciences (that last one splits into two tracks in the second year), each of which funnels you off into applying for a certain type of college program.

I bring this up because, even though Pokémon generally likes to keep the ages of its protagonists vague, that one line from Nemona tells us roughly how old everyone is. For reasons I’ll go into a bit later, Arven’s probably just starting that humanities/social sciences track, which puts him at 16 at the start of the school year; Nemona is still directly involved with the student body but also old enough to run the studentcCouncil (however that works in Spain, I wasn’t able to find info there), so she’s likely 15 and :swoon: at how many courses on battling she’ll get to take. Our protagonist looks of lot younger, but since we just started at the school and the director paired us up with Nemona like that, we’re probably 12 and just starting ESO, which makes Naranja either a secondary school or a combined primary/secondary school.

I don’t know how much of this the devs actually intended and how much of it is me seeing patterns that aren’t actually there, but it lines up well enough that you can assume that’s everyone’s ages going forward in the LP. Of course, my research might be completely wrong, so :shrug:.

Falconier111 fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Dec 28, 2022

MayOrMayNotBeACat
Jul 22, 2017

You might want to check the link for Arven's Battle Theme, because what it linked to was more relaxing than how you described it.

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

MayOrMayNotBeACat posted:

You might want to check the link for Arven's Battle Theme, because what it linked to was more relaxing than how you described it.

poo poo, none of those links were working right. I fixed that one but I don’t know how long the automation’s been hosed. How many of my music links work? Do any of my music links work? :negative:

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

I'd like to say your post about Spanish education was actually pretty spot on! Some minor additions and diatribes I'd like to add (note it's been a decade+ since high school so some info might be out of date or biased):

-Assessment is not per cycle, it's yearly with midterms every 3-4 months, where failing enough subjects will force you to repeat a year.

-You're absolutely right about subjects being broader early on! We essentially start with Social Studies and Sciences which are a bunch of subjects smushed together, and as we go through the grades they start splitting off, like Science turning into Biology&Geology and Physics&Chemistry~ (also a catchy teen dramedy tune) in ESO AKA Secondary school. In fact History as its own subject doesn't exist until Bachillerato!

-On Bachillerato, something to point out is it's contents are actually mostly a deeper take on 3° and 4° year of ESO on applicable subkects and it culminates in Selectividad, the national entrance exam for universities in Spain, which together with you Bachillerato grade and the last year's results is ehat decides which universities you can enroll.

-About Nemona... the thing is Student Councils as the Anglosphere or Japan knows them as don't really exist here. Usually the class chooses a class representative or "delegad@" (which is Nemona's title in Spanish!) who helps teachers with stuff and represents the class in broader stuff. Sometimes there's a student representative body which acts like an union for students. But Nemona acts like a student council president so I guess it's the japanese take.

-gently caress PE why did it count to pass the year

-Finally, Religion was actually really cool at my high school and I always took it sonce the alternative was study hall. The teacher was a priest but we mostly watched films and discussed themes akin to Lite Philosophy. He also sometimes took us on trips around town and bought us food at the end of the yer. Obviously we never touched sensitive themes (like gay people), but I prefer to stay with the happy memories.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

Falconier111 posted:

poo poo, none of those links were working right. I fixed that one but I don’t know how long the automation’s been hosed. How many of my music links work? Do any of my music links work? :negative:

I've only checked the latest update so far, but in that one they're all broken and link to the same song (which I don't think is one you meant to link to at all). I'll take a look at some of the previous updates when I get a chance.

Edit: unfortunately, the music links seem to be consistently borked. There are maybe two in the first update that go to the same song as their text, and most of the rest end up going to the same handful of songs.

Explopyro fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Dec 28, 2022

Luca_024
Dec 26, 2022
I had no idea the game was reflecting the actual Spanish school system, I just assumed it was some kind of faux American school (felt close enough for someone who doesn't actually understand how they work). either way that's some really cool info to learn about!

megamariox
Jun 4, 2011
This game is the first game that made me feel like pokemon needed voice acting. Not for every scene or for the pokemon but there are some scenes that would have worked much better with voice acting.

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

So, it has come to my attention that I have, in fact, hosed up every single music link in the LP so far! I needed to cut back on music links anyway (finding the right track out of 130+ unlabeled ones for 20-second clips wasn’t exactly conducive to running an LP), so I’ll try to keep things more focused on that end. From now on music links should actually go where I say they’re going but I’ll be going back and fixing them when I have the time. One by one. For half a dozen updates.

:negative:

Anyway…

… When we reach the top of the lighthouse ladder, we get a good view of the surrounding area. Violet and Scarlet can be kind of ugly by modern standards, but at their best they definitely have something to show off.

NEMONA: Look, Juliana! That’s Mesagoza!

NEMONA: And that huge building with the Poké Ball on it is our school! It’s gonna be so great having you in the same class, Juliana!

JULIANA:

NEMONA: … Actually, it’s kinda lonely there right now.

JULIANA: Huh?

NEMONA: I don’t know if you know anything about Naranja, but it wasn’t always this nice. There used to be a lot of problems, bullies, bad teachers. You know. It made the news a couple times. I’m not anybody’s idea of a student council president, you know? I’m good at studying and I’m good at battling, and that’s about it. Last year everybody else quit and I was the only one left. Some of them transferred.

JULIANA: I –

NEMONA: You didn’t know them, it’s a good thing. I know I talk a lot, but… I know you’re nervous about something. There’s obviously something you don’t want to talk about. But Naranja is so, so different from what it was when I was doing what you’re doing now. There isn’t anybody there who isn’t ready for a fresh start. Oh, and the administration looks out for its students, and I can say that with a straight face now. I don’t know what you’re hiding and I can’t tell you it won’t cause problems, but there’s no better place for misfits like us because the whole school is a misfit right now. So, I can’t make you do this, but… can I ask you to take a leap of faith? Give the school a chance. I’ll be with you every step of the way.

JULIANA: … Okay. I can do that.

NEMONA: And just look around! Isn’t it awesome what you can see from up here? Mountains! Forests! Grasslands! Beautiful nature stuff, as far as the eye can see! And you know what’s waiting for you all over these natural spaces? Tons of Pokémon! Consider this me officially telling you: welcome to Paldea! But anyway, like you can see, it’s kind of a hike to get to school from here. Let’s make it to Los Platos for starters. That’s right on the way! Vamos! C’mon!

:respek:

Overworld OST 4 – Pokémon Scarlet & Violet: Original Soundtrack OST

Now we reach the open world trial area. Poco Path taught us how to play the game in the more casual sense, but this area is structured like any other region of the map (albeit smaller and with only two exits).

It even has our first random trainer! Older Pokémon games frequently used trainers as unofficial gates that blocked off areas until players were strong enough to either match them in ability or just plow through them with overleveled Pokémon. Now, with “open world” the rule of the day and gating mechanics thrown out the window (sort of, I’ll get to that), you have to actually walk up and interact with trainers to pick fights. They’re also a lot rarer now, to the point you can travel between some cities following the roads and see two humans, one of which even want to fight you. I think it’s to encourage exploration, which makes sense, but it does make grinding take forever.

The trainers themselves are also significantly tougher than they were last time around, more on par with Gen 7 than Gen 8’s infamous pushovers. This kid had one bug that nearly flattened poor El Picachu before Sylvando bailed him out.

Just like in the last couple generations, you don’t wander around tall grass hoping you find something interesting anymore; now, the Pokémon roam freely in little spawning areas, so you have to run around the whole overworld hoping you find something interesting. The screenshot is a little misleading, though, and the overworld teems with various random encounters. Like… I shouldn’t catch a Psyduck. I already have a Water type, I know it’s a little early to care about type overlap but I’m probably just to get rid of it anyway. But… :psyduck:.

Actually, I have an idea!

Each route has places where rare Pokémon spawn, usually off in a corner somewhere. But even in those places, those Pokémon spawn maybe once an in-game day – and that’s about 40 minutes of real time, so if you flub a catch or get a lovely Pokémon, you’re out of luck unless you actively try to farm it. Ralts here is South Province (Area One)’s rare Pokémon, it only spawns in this area, there’s only ever one of it at a time, and the game may prevent it from respawning until you reach the next area. I know in my first time through I caught one with worst possible nature, came back the next day, and found nothing. Fortunately, I was able to catch this one pretty easily (proving auto-catching doesn’t happen anymore in the process, it took three shakes for the ball to settle down) and put it in my party.

Didn’t show this before because I wasn’t able to catch the right screenshots, but every time you get a new Pokémon, it shows you their Pokédex entry, then plays a little animation where the entry spins around and slots itself into a little bookshelf of potential entries. It’s a nice little touch.

Fortunately for me, this Ralts doesn’t suck. For those unfamiliar, natures influence Pokémon stat growth by boosting one stat and penalizing another (or sometimes they cancel each other out). My last Ralts was Adamant, raising its Attack (which it would probably never use) and dropping its Special Attack (which is the whole point of that line). Fortunately, that’s not the case with this little guy, so he;s likely to be in my party for always to come. Plus, I don’t have to catch that Psyduck now!

I went back and caught it anyway. Oh well, it fills party space.

What’s this?

That was a Gimmighoul, but the game won’t let us catch it, instead just giving us a Gimmighoul Coin as it runs away. We’ll be seeing more of these things later.

Speaking of later, once we hit the end of this route…

NEMONA: Oye, Juliana! Over here! This here’s a Pokémon Center!

… We run into our first Pokémon Center and a handy Nemona with another tutorial dump. As you can probably tell, I rather like how this game tutorializes for the most part, but I’ll go ahead and take the reins for now.

Pokémon Centers work the same way they have in the last few generations. At the outskirts of every major city and a few spots out in the hills you can find these outposts with a handy place to heal your Pokémon for free (in this generation giving you hints on where to go next in the process) and buy items you may or may not need all in one trip. Unlike in previous generations, you can’t buy TMs there. Or rather, you can’t buy them from the wage slave behind the counter. You have to make them instead.

At any Pokémon Center, you’ll find a big machine next to the nurse that manufactures TMs with a few ingredients. I haven’t been showing this off to save space, but every time we defeat a wild Pokémon, we automatically harvest some of its body parts; these serve as raw materials for the machine, which grinds them into a horrifying mulch and compresses the bloody slurry into shiny new TM discs. You also need to pay it with the game’s new secondary currency, League Points (or LP, which will not at all get confusing when we talk about LP in this LP), but most of the ways you get them haven’t even been introduced yet, so the game doesn’t explain them and neither will I. But it does explain something completely unrelated right at the end of the sequence.

By pressing R you can toss Pokémon at the front of your party and take them on walks. You could do this in Gen 8 too, but it actually has a purpose here; instead of just following you around and clipping through objects, your Pokémon can auto-battle nearby wild Pokémon. I’m still not sure exactly how you trigger these autobattles, even after beating the game. Sometimes your guy follows you around and sometimes they start beating anything nearby, I dunno.

Either way, these fights are entirely automated, give reduced experience, and don’t consume HP unless your Pokémon runs into something more powerful than them, but most importantly, they give you Pokémon parts without you having to sit down and manually beat up pigeons forever. I didn’t use this function much my first time around, but this time I may have more time to sink into it – let me know if you have a better grasp of the mechanics than I do. Next time we’ll be exploring our first town and possibly finally reaching school, but before then I’ll need names for our Ralts and Psyduck.

Falconier111 fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jan 9, 2023

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

Found a couple minor things in the post which you might want to take a look at:

Falconier111 posted:

[img]https://lpix.org/4439778/Scarlet[/url] 05 005.jpg[/img]

Looks like you've got a broken image link here.

Falconier111 posted:

Ralts here is South Province (Area One)’s rare Pokémon, it only spawns in this area, there’s only ever one of it at a time, and the game may prevent it from responding until you reach the next area; I know in my first time through I stopped playing my first sessions year after I caught one with worst possible nature, came back the next day, and found nothing. Fortunately, I was able to catch this one pretty easily – proving auto-catching doesn’t happen anymore the process, it took three shakes for the ball to settle down – and put it in my party.

I didn't quite understand what some parts of this paragraph are trying to say, I think maybe your voice transcription thing might've messed something up or some words might be missing? I've put bold where I thought it didn't make sense.

Falconier111 posted:

My last Ralts was Adamant, raising its Attack (which it would probably never use) and dropping its Special Attack (which is the whole point of that line). Fortunately, that’s not the case with this little guy, so he;s likely to be in my party for always to come.

Not to go all :actually: but if that Ralts was male, adamant could have been quite a good nature if you chose to evolve it into Gallade (which is a physical attacker, and has fairly weak special attack anyway). If it was female, of course, you'd have been absolutely correct because Gallade is a gender-locked evolution.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Auto battle is a little finnicky. You have to basically actually aim it at a Pokemon your avatar is looking at. May have to press R multiple times if your line of sight was a few degrees off to resend them out and hopefully have them lock onto the mon you were aiming at.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Falconier111 posted:

Didn’t show this before because I wasn’t able to catch the right screenshots, but every time you get a new Pokémon, it shows you their Pokédex entry, then plays a little animation where the entry spins around and slots itself into a little bookshelf of potential entries. It’s a nice little touch.

I appreciate that it gives you the location info of Pokemon you haven't seen or caught yet, as long as they're next to ones you have. That's actually a pretty big help if you're like me and want to keep your dex updated as you go. It doesn't work for starter Pokemon and their evolutions, though, and I'm guessing it doesn't work for legendaries, either.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

I'm pretty sure spawns aren't a ingame daily thing? If you move away far enough to despawn the current mons you can spawn new ones. The other particularity is that Pokemon are spawned based on location but also biome AKA the ground they spawn in. Like different mons spawn on taller grass, on trees, on ponds and on the shore (this one is a bitch), on flower patches... (also a bitch).

And I think R and ZR work the same? R sends the mon forward and targets the closest mon for auto combat while ZR is more free roaming (and the only mode that works for a future thing).

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

I'm pretty sure spawns aren't a ingame daily thing? If you move away far enough to despawn the current mons you can spawn new ones. The other particularity is that Pokemon are spawned based on location but also biome AKA the ground they spawn in. Like different mons spawn on taller grass, on trees, on ponds and on the shore (this one is a bitch), on flower patches... (also a bitch).

And I think R and ZR work the same? R sends the mon forward and targets the closest mon for auto combat while ZR is more free roaming (and the only mode that works for a future thing).

There are actually 2 different general spawn types. Random spawns and fixed spawns.

Random spawns are sorta like how encounters were handled in past games, but there's a buncha differences that I'm not really sure about. (Even Sword and Shield, which had overworld encounters worked off the percentage for X to spawn system. This one doesn't.) Anyways those are the ones you're talking about, mostly.

Falconier was referring to the second type, fixed spawns. There are actually several mons that spawn in a very specific spot and is guaranteed to be found there. This can be how you find some of the rarer mons more easily. There's a future thing that counts as fixed spawns as well which people who already played the game are probably aware of, but these mons count as fixed too. However these respawn in real time days, not in-game days unfortunately. Midnight on your Switch is when the daily reset happens for actual clock stuff. (Also some minor differences where these things can never have their shiny odds boosted for some reason, so don't hunt for these if you want those shinies.)

The Pokedex habitat function only shows random spawns, not fixed spawns. The Ralts is a rare spawn in that area as well so it'll show up there, but some other mons can only be found through fixed spawns, and the Pokedex will spout out a "habitat unknown" even if the mon is basically common in Paldea through that method.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Oooh, right, forgot about fixed spawns. I did use some of them to get dex entries for evolutions, thanks for the reminder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

t3isukone
Dec 18, 2020

13km away
Glad to see this! I love these new games-Diamond and Pearl were my first, but Scarlet/Violet is the first that I've ever been like, really genuinely invested in the plot and characters like it's a normal game and not a Pokemon game. And I think that's what's important for me.

I don't endorse its development and I think that 'a Pokemon game a year' is a really bad idea and terrible for the workers, and this game has its fair share of flaws, but also, it's really good. Even if there are some very obvious issues, even beyond the obvious glitches, like 'this would not have taken any time to fix issues'(I'm talking about the Egg system, of course I'm talking about the Egg system).