Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib

500excf type r posted:

Anyone remember the jalapeno mcdouble? Peak McDonald's sandwich

Was that the one with the white cheddar on it? I'm not one of those "I looked at the sign for taco bell and it made me poo poo my eyes out!" goontypes, but that white cheddar one made me fart and poo poo so bad lol. I must have gone back like 10 times. I think there was a similar one involving onions that I'm probably conflating it with.

Remember the Mac Snack Wrap? Instead of a chick tender inside, it was a half burger patty and all the toppings from a big mag. It was disgusting, but in a weirdly good way.

Rememver salad shakers? KFC twisters? It's so easy to talk about this crap, I am way too into fast food stuff. God I miss the BK apple pies :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

rotinaj posted:

I am unsure if the nostalgia would bear out at all, but i have some serious nostalgia for the mcpizza they did for a while

Whatever Happened to Pizza at McDonald's?

What are they hiding?

Interesting.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
The patty melt they had with the onions and cheese sauce on a rye bun was pretty baller for the 5 seconds it was on the menu

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Stink Billyums posted:

I went looking for tallow and somehow I can't find anything around here that's cheaper than buying actual beef. I just want some fuckin fat, man, how is this poo poo $5 a pound?

Consider being British. Lard and beef dripping live by and are a third of the cost of butter here.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

tango alpha delta posted:

ah this brings back memories.

I ran the kitchen for one of the busiest McDonalds in the west. We would sell two grand an hour for three hours during lunch rush every weekday back in 1989. That's about five grand an hour in today's money.

i miss the beef tallow fries and the McDLT.

e:holy poo poo, our store was making over a million dollars a year in 1989, selling burgers. no wonder the owner liked to drop in from time to time.

wow that's badass bro

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
If we're talking about fast food back in the day am I the only one who remembers Pizza Hut cheese pizza as being, like, pretty fuckin good

less the experience of sitting in those farty vinyl red booth seats with the checkered tablecloths and the red plastic cups that could deliver blunt force trauma, I remember something about the cheese pizza that was perfectly browned in places and just the right balance of greasy, lovely, and yet surprisingly quality

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

I'm willing to bet it's a combination of being a dumb kid with no taste but also the continual race to the bottom to provide the shittiest product people will still buy

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

What I seem to remember was the old McDonalds fries being less crispy and greasier. No clue if that's an accurate memory or not. I remember when they switched and I assumed they were doing the easiest thing they could to have a vegetarian item on the menu. I was raised in a religion that has a strong vegetarian presence and I remember we'd have to go to a special church store to get stuff like Morningstar and Loma Linda products. Now most grocery stores have at least 8 feet of freezer space with meat alternative products.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD posted:

do you ever feel that you and i personally have been having a conversation going on years where the other person refuses to speak the same language

Punctuation is your friend.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Zeluth posted:

i liked you more when you were a gimmick account and i loving hated you when you were a gimmick account

Edmund Sparkler posted:

What I seem to remember was the old McDonalds fries being less crispy and greasier. No clue if that's an accurate memory or not. I remember when they switched and I assumed they were doing the easiest thing they could to have a vegetarian item on the menu. I was raised in a religion that has a strong vegetarian presence and I remember we'd have to go to a special church store to get stuff like Morningstar and Loma Linda products. Now most grocery stores have at least 8 feet of freezer space with meat alternative products.

I kinda like how in the past 5 years theres a good chance you can get a veggie burger at most mid-tier restaurants and burger joints. When people come to visit they always want to go to in-and-out, and there's really nothing for me there. Their fries are terrible.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Zeluth posted:

:thurman::drat:

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Peggy Edson posted:

wow that's badass bro

No it is not. Not when the owner and his entourage would casually drop in to test our drive through efficiency because we were his favourite store. Yeah, no pressure at all.

That was over thirty years ago and I still remember everyone just freaking out because the franchise owner liked to ‘drop by’ just to observe our efficiency.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Dec 14, 2022

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
I miss old McD's fries. They were kind of floppy iirc, but in a good way. More flavor too.

Dixville posted:

Remember when you would get that one hosed up mcnugget with gristle in it

PinheadSlim posted:

I found a bone or a piece of plastic in a mcnugget when I was like 4 and I never had one again

ptooey

I do not, however, miss old McD's nuggets. Not that I made a habit of eating their nuggets after they fixed them, but it's nice to at least have the option.

Smugworth posted:

That was a beak, you gotta chew em up to really get the flavor

:gonk:

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

ElectricSheep posted:

If we're talking about fast food back in the day am I the only one who remembers Pizza Hut cheese pizza as being, like, pretty fuckin good

less the experience of sitting in those farty vinyl red booth seats with the checkered tablecloths and the red plastic cups that could deliver blunt force trauma, I remember something about the cheese pizza that was perfectly browned in places and just the right balance of greasy, lovely, and yet surprisingly quality
Are they the ones who had the all you can eat lunch buffets? If so, yes, but that's a rose-colored memory, because it was only because I was young and could handle a stomach full of grease without getting severe stomach aches or rear end explosions.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Bring back Bookit and let the KIDS!! eat thier greasy personal pizza after learning to read

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

PinheadSlim posted:

KFC was only good to families with parents who boiled chicken and served it with unseasoned vegetables.

i grew up eating boiled chicken and boiled carrots.

i swear to god even in 1999 mcdonalds tasted better than it does today
dont get me started on pizzahut

Methanar fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Dec 14, 2022

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Why wallow in nostalgia for a past that probably sucked anyway when you could improve your fries today with some garlic beefonnaise? It’s not all that hard to make.

Ingredients:
-1/4 cup rendered beef fat, melted
-1 1/4 cups canola oil
-2 egg yolks
-1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
-2 tablespoons mayonnaise (optional)
-1 to 2 cloves garlic, grated on microplane grater or pressed through garlic press
-1 tablespoon water, plus more to correct consistency
-Lemon juice to taste
-Salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
1. Combine beef fat and canola oil in 2-cup liquid measuring cup. Whisk to combine.

2. Add egg yolks, Dijon mustard, mayonnaise, garlic, and water to bowl of food processor. Run processor for 5 seconds to combine. Scrape down sides of processor bowl with rubber spatula. With processor running, slowly drizzle fat into bowl in a thin, steady stream, stopping and scraping down sides as necessary. Add lemon juice, salt, and pepper to taste, and adjust consistency with water until thick, smooth, and creamy, but not mouth-coatingly waxy. Store in refrigerator in air-tight container for up to two weeks.

drunkb
Aug 14, 2009

The Great Twist

Treecko posted:

Bring back Bookit and let the KIDS!! eat thier greasy personal pizza after learning to read

My kid has Book It and yes they still get a personal pan pizza. :discourse:

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Am I the only one who thought KFC's butter tasted rancid? I haven't had it in years but it really grossed me out as a kid.

Oh yeah, Bookit was bomb. My class got the pizza party.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
you know what, food in styrofoam DOES taste better . my favorite vietnamese place uses stryo containers to go and it's really better than on a plate.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
I honestly thought it was discontinued years ago, I'll have to get ahold of my kids reading teacher and see if it's in our school.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Hollismason posted:

McDonalds use to just taste better. In the 80s it was delicious and now its just not.

maybe they should try eating mcdonalds now while on 80s levels of cocaine and nicotine. bet it tastes pretty good.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Bring back the KFC twister.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
Bring back KFC wedges, aka the only reason to ever go there

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

I like the wedges at the grocery store

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

Smugworth posted:

I like the wedges at the grocery store

Most grocery store hot bar/deli fried chicken is the equivalent, in my experience, of overhyped chain chicken places that charge way more

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
I’ve been spending a lot of time thinking over this. Pondering throughout the last few days. I can safely say I don’t actually remember the original McDonald’s fries.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
But now I really want some Wendy’s new fries. Last time I got them they were all welded together like a rat king of fries

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lord Decimus Barnacle posted:

But now I really want some Wendy’s new fries. Last time I got them they were all welded together like a rat king of fries

Make sure you don’t go to one that points an infrared laser at the frier thermostat to intentionally make the fries undercooked and partially undigestible.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Haverchuck posted:

Most grocery store hot bar/deli fried chicken is the equivalent, in my experience, of overhyped chain chicken places that charge way more

Yeah I legit do not understand why anyone goes to KFC over like a Safeway for fried chicken. When I first moved here they had a Monday deal where it was 7 bucks for 8 piece dark + a pound of sides + a 4 pack of Hawaiian rolls. It’s jumped up a buck or two since Covid started but still quite cheap. Meanwhile I drove past a kfc the other day that was advertising a holiday family special, 12 piece + some sides for close to 50 dollars and just lmao.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

KFC is in North America is loving disgusting. I've said it in another thread that KFC in Japan tastes like it did when I was a kid, I was very surprised. I always just thought that my taste in things had changed but KFC has just turned gross over the years. I also think that the way they cook chicken has changed too. The chicken is always greasy and the chicken tastes like soggy newspaper.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

I miss the old nugs

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mr.Acula posted:

I miss the old nugs

Are you a mitten or an oval guy? :thunk:

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Are American Chicken McNuggets still made out of that pink goo?

Bagels and breakfast wraps were permanently removed from the breakfast menu in the UK. Sad times, but at least our nuggies are made from chicken breast

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

remember garbage pail kids???

VileLL
Oct 3, 2015

explaining nostalgia to an american

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Dell_Zincht posted:

Are American Chicken McNuggets still made out of that pink goo?

Bagels and breakfast wraps were permanently removed from the breakfast menu in the UK. Sad times, but at least our nuggies are made from chicken breast

I’m pretty sure they’re chicken breast now. I mean they’re still processed and formed but I don’t think they use the goo anymore.

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
:okboomer:

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

I’m pretty sure they’re chicken breast now. I mean they’re still processed and formed but I don’t think they use the goo anymore.

Bring back the goo imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
gently caress Morgan Spurlock imho